UltraScenery [Commercial]

Comments

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,162
    barbult said:

I'm enjoying all the images everyone is posting here. I got the AM Brown Bear in fast grab the other day, so I put him in Harpwood 1 ecology with a pond.

Great stuff!  Can I ask what you used to light this image?

Cheers,

Alex. 

Thanks, Alex. The lighting is the USC Late Morning render settings preset that comes with UltraScenery. My camera is pointed toward the back right of the scene, so I changed the SS Time from 11:30 AM to 4:30 PM, to get lighting on the bear's side of the pond. No other lighting or tone mapping changes were made. 

• HowieFarkesHowieFarkes Posts: 584

UltraScenery 1.1.0 looks to be available for download now. Most obvious change is the ability to have the script build the forest 200 metres past the bounds of the terrain to give some background depth. The rest is mostly bug and code clean-up.

• mavantemavante Posts: 734
    edited June 2020

Just a heads up to not get too attached to using flat areas to defoliate the scene - that's a bug that is going to be squished. But rest assured there will be a way to achieve clearings etc in a more controlled way soon.

What's the status on this? Meanwhile, can we still use the "Barbult Earthmoving Method" (my affectionate name for it) to create flat plots to plop buildings down in? I want to do an experiment with an Easy Snap Universal Habitat settled into an Ultrascenery environment, and use its dimensions to create the heightmap so I don't get trees growing through it.

Post edited by mavante on
    mavante said:

Just a heads up to not get too attached to using flat areas to defoliate the scene - that's a bug that is going to be squished. But rest assured there will be a way to achieve clearings etc in a more controlled way soon.

What's the status on this? Meanwhile, can we still use the "Barbult Earthmoving Method" (my affectionate name for it) to create flat plots to plop buildings down in? I want to do an experiment with an Easy Snap Universal Habitat settled into an Ultrascenery environment, and use its dimensions to create the heightmap so I don't get trees growing through it.

The "Barbult Earthmoving Method", if I know what you are talking about, just exposed the bug that no instances were placed on flat areas. It did not create flat areas. You can control the flatness of the terrain, using terrain maps. But be aware that some features modify the terrain of your map further.

I believe Howie Farkes said that version 1.1.0 would correct that bug, and that he is working on yet another update with a better way to create areas without vegetation.  Personally, I'm happy to see the flat area bug get fixed. I don't necessarily want every flat area in my terrain to be bare! I see how you want to take advantage of that bug though. You could consider not updating until the next update is available, so you can use the flat bare areas, until there is a better way to create clearings. Of course you'd temporarily miss out on whatever other new features or bug fixes are included in the current update. 

Has the update shown up in your DIM yet? I haven't seen it yet.

• HowieFarkesHowieFarkes Posts: 584
    mavante said:

Still in development at the moment - proabably a few weeks away

barbult said:

The "Barbult Earthmoving Method", if I know what you are talking about, just exposed the bug that no instances were placed on flat areas. It did not create flat areas. You can control the flatness of the terrain, using terrain maps. But be aware that some features modify the terrain of your map further.

Thanks, yes, I followed your work; I was just imprecise with my description. The point I didn't make clearly is that I want to create a flat area with a very specific shape and size—that does not have vegetation in it.

barbult said:

I see how you want to take advantage of that bug though. You could consider not updating until the next update is available, so you can use the flat bare areas, until there is a better way to create clearings. Of course you'd temporarily miss out on whatever other new features or bug fixes are included in the current update. 

Just a few days ago I uninstalled and reinstalled Ev.Ry.Thing. related to DS on this machine, with DS 4.11. (The entire miserable saga is memorialized in a separate thread that I won't subject you to.) So DIM downloaded and installed whichever version of UltraScenery was active then. I haven't opened UltraScenery yet so dunno. I'm busy wrapping up another project, but will be working on the scene I want to do using de-vegetated flat UltraScenery terrain next.

I also just got a new bigger, better, faster iMac this past Friday, so am busy getting that set up with DS 4.12, and figuring out how to get both computers to be able to use a common Daz content drive, and also dealing with the infamous issues of DS 4.12 and the Catalina OS. So I'm busier than a one-armed paper hanger.

As soon as I am able I will test to see if I am able to leverage the Barbult Earthmoving Method (a.k.a. "bug") for what I want to do.

mavante said:

Still in development at the moment - proabably a few weeks away

Will look forward to it—and I guess that means I can still use the Barbult Earthmoving Method. Woohoo!

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,861
    edited June 2020

I also think, that the possibility to create flat areas without vegetation in UltraScenery is one of the best and powerful features in it.

Will wait impatiently for another update, then.

flats002pic03.jpg
    1920 x 1200 - 1M
    Post edited by Artini on
  • SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,301
    barbult said:
    mavante said:

I believe Howie Farkes said that version 1.1.0 would correct that bug, and that he is working on yet another update with a better way to create areas without vegetation.  Personally, I'm happy to see the flat area bug get fixed. I don't necessarily want every flat area in my terrain to be bare! I see how you want to take advantage of that bug though. You could consider not updating until the next update is available, so you can use the flat bare areas, until there is a better way to create clearings. Of course you'd temporarily miss out on whatever other new features or bug fixes are included in the current update. 

Update showed up in DIM for me this morning.

Also looking forward to the clearing update.  Would be great for plopping down a house or creating a country estate.

• 3dOutlaw3dOutlaw Posts: 2,470

UltraScenery 1.1.0 looks to be available for download now. Most obvious change is the ability to have the script build the forest 200 metres past the bounds of the terrain to give some background depth. The rest is mostly bug and code clean-up.

Howie,  I manually download and install...how would I know if I have the updated one?

edited June 2020
    3dOutlaw said:

Howie,  I manually download and install...how would I know if I have the updated one?

I'm not Howie, but I can tell you that there is a version number near the top of the script dialog box when you run the script.

Annotation 2020-06-02 134326.jpg
    742 x 551 - 65K
    Post edited by barbult on
  • 3dOutlaw3dOutlaw Posts: 2,470
    edited June 2020

OK, that works, thanks.

EDIT:  It's also updated in the PDF cover page, in case you want to check that prior to installing (located in Content\Environments\Landscapes\UltraScenery\Resources\)

Post edited by 3dOutlaw on
  • alexhcowleyalexhcowley Posts: 2,315

I've downloaded the new update and regenerated a scene based on lake 1 and oaks 9.  There's now a tick box on the fourth tab: extend forest. 

It works beautifully!   I did a quick test render and the  forest is now thick and deep when the scene is rendered.  I think terrains like lake 1 will particularly benefit from the much deeper forest.

Top marks, Howie!  

Cheers,

Alex.

edited June 2020
    Artini said:

I also think, that the possibility to create flat areas without vegetation in UltraScenery is one of the best and powerful features in it.

I agree! Barbult is the person who first introduced me, in another thread, to the amazing Erock3D Free Grass System, which I had great success using in a forest/treehouse model to create a level grassy surface for a picnic scene. Because of my weeks of computer/DS woes, I've never gotten around to being able to try it on an UltraScenery landscape, but I think it would work very well in a flattened de-vegetated area. I'm itching to try it, either with the current "bug" or after seening what HowieFarkas comes up with for creating clearings.

Post edited by mavante on
    edited June 2020

Have you tried the new Extend Forest option on the build tab? Here is a quick example if with and without Extend Forest. I didn't render either one very long, so there is still noise in the shadows. This is Feature River 1 and Ecology Oaks 2.

UltraScenery River 1 Oaks 2 Restrict to Camera with BG.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    UltraScenery River 1 Oaks 2 Restrict to Camera No BG.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    Post edited by barbult on
  • blosseblosse Posts: 46

I've been following and owning HowieFarkes creations since Vue. Now with UltraScenery for Daz Studio I don't need Vue anymore. This latest version with 17 features and 37 ecologies gives you 629 combinations to check out and that's a lot. Howerver I seem to have come upon one combination which gives me a error reading file Upland 1 and Woodland 4. I'm using version 1.1.0 of UltraScenery.

blosse said:

I've been following and owning HowieFarkes creations since Vue. Now with UltraScenery for Daz Studio I don't need Vue anymore. This latest version with 17 features and 37 ecologies gives you 629 combinations to check out and that's a lot. Howerver I seem to have come upon one combination which gives me a error reading file Upland 1 and Woodland 4. I'm using version 1.1.0 of UltraScenery.

I don't have Upland 1. What product is it part of?

edited June 2020

Still enjoying the version with clearing areas.

Are there any other, visible changes in the latest update, besides extend forest?

mount01sc03pic01.jpg
    1920 x 1200 - 820K
    Post edited by Artini on
    barbult said:
    blosse said:

I don't have Upland 1. What product is it part of?

It's in the UltraScenery - Landscape Features Volume 1

• MarcCCTxMarcCCTx Posts: 909

OK I don't see the Extended Forests or placeholders, until they render. Is there some way to affect/move them?

1.1.0 some visible differences that I am aware of:

• Flat areas aren't bare anymore (bug fixed)
    • Extend Forest option has been added.
    • In the drop down to limit the build to a specific camera, you can now choose Current View (of the main Viewport).
    • When you rebuild an existing UltraScene, it will remember when you had turned off all layers to build only the terrain. Previously it would check all the layers again and you had to uncheck them all again. That is a time saver for me, because sometimes I just like to build and examine the terrain before building all the layers.
    • The strange shading on the river stones has been corrected.
    • It seems faster
    MarcCCTx said:

OK I don't see the Extended Forests or placeholders, until they render. Is there some way to affect/move them?

They don't have proxies, so they aren't visible until you render, as you noticed. 

Thanks for the new features describing.

edited June 2020

I have created a height map for the island, but the rendering was so intense, that I have stopped it after 2 hours 12 minutes.

The progress bar was still at 0% and my GTX 1080 has only made 141 iterations during this time.

mount09sc03pic01.jpg
    1920 x 1200 - 1M
    Post edited by Artini on
    Artini said:

I have created a height map for the island, but the rendering was so intense, that I have stopped it after 2 hours 12 minutes.

The progress bar was still at 0% and my GTX 1080 has only made 141 iterations during this time.

It looks interesting. Do you think all the added items caused it to fall back to CPU? Or maybe that ocean or the boat were hard to render? 

Artini said:

If you don't mind, I'd like to test with your height map please.

Yes, I will test the UltraScenery only and will post results and the height map, later on.

Artini said:

Yes, I will test the UltraScenery only and will post results and the height map, later on.

Thank you looking forward to seeing more of your work.

edited June 2020

It is a big difference in rendering time, when rendered only UltraScenery's generated terrain itself.

Rendering Time: 12 minutes 8.83 seconds

Below is the render made with the lights included with UltraScenery.

I also attach the height map used to made the terrain.

island001sc01pic01.jpg
    1920 x 1200 - 788K
    island001.png
    1024 x 1024 - 288K
    Post edited by Artini on
    barbult said:

1.1.0 some visible differences that I am aware of:

• Flat areas aren't bare anymore (bug fixed)

Thanks for that info. Shame that the "bug" was removed without a replacement way to create flat areas having no vegetation. I still think it's a "feature," not a bug. :)

I'll hold off on the update until there is an "official" way to bulldoze a lot for putting down lawns and structures.

This discussion has been closed.