January 2020 - Daz 3D New User Challenge - Composition, Instancing, & Duplication

1235»

Comments

• sueyasueya Posts: 826
    fdsphoto said:
    fdsphoto said:
    sueya said:

Is there a free/ cheaper product which can be used to generate multiple instances of an object at once?

I can see that Scatter Pro would be really useful for creating landscapes that don't place a heavy demand on memory, but I'm not sure if I can afford it.

Hi Sueya,

Ultrascatter (non-pro) ia about $10 less. But you can create the same effect with out UltraScatter or UltraScatterPro, it will just cost you more time.

In the image below, I loaded a grass patch prop, made two duplicates oft it. Changed their Y rotations and placed them closer together.

I then place the prop and the two duplicates in to a group, I then created 10 instances of the "Group" and also chaged the Y rotaions of the insatnces.

So instead of 10 instances of 1 Prop, I now have 30 instances of the prop that give the grass in the scene a more robust feeling.

After that point, seems like instancing won't create more instances of instances. But you can still create another group with the instances, and then continue to duplicate the group of instances.

The key is to know how much of the stuff you want, and it only need to be seen by the camera\viewport. No need to fill up the entire scene with it if the camera or viewport (use aspect ratio box no the entire viewport) won't even see it.

Thanks for the advice. I didn't realise you could make instances of groups

• sueyasueya Posts: 826

As it's the last day of the month, I just thought I'd post my final image again.

This is only an entry for the Composition category as there is very little instancing in it.

• alex86firealex86fire Posts: 1,130

This is my final version of my submission.

I would have appreciated a little more advice as I don't know how well I did but in the meantime i learned a little bit more about lightning and surfaces so I corrected that on the skins and I switched the camera angle and ratio a little to emphasize more what I wanted.

Master and Pupil.png
    1920 x 1186 - 3M
  • Final version of this. It felt that the runner that I added last version was firing dangerously close to the blade user, so I moved the blade user forwards some, and added a zombie entering the scene behind him that they had passed up thinking it was dead. Not so dead now was it?

jan2020h.png
    800 x 450 - 573K
  • AZDigitalArtistAZDigitalArtist Posts: 773
    edited February 2020

"Moon Sorceress" - Composition contest.  I had to add a little brushwork in Photoshop for the fog and moon.  I looked through my entire new collection and not one moon or planet!!

AZDigitalArtist-MoonSorceress.jpg
    1296 x 1728 - 2M
    Post edited by AZDigitalArtist on
  • AZDigitalArtistAZDigitalArtist Posts: 773
    edited February 2020

"Dios De Los Muertos" - Duplication challenge.  This is actually the same model.  I duplicated her, reposed two and gave them different outfits, hair and makeup, and altered their heights.  Don't think I am experienced enough to tackle instancing yet!!

AZDigitalArtist-DiosDeLosMuertos.jpg
    1296 x 1296 - 895K
    Post edited by AZDigitalArtist on
  • L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479

This challenge is now closed.

Thanks to everyone for participating!

• LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,795

Sorry for not coming in and helping more this month, thanks to all participants who stepped up and helped the others with tips and ideas!

Linwelly said:

Sorry for not coming in and helping more this month, thanks to all participants who stepped up and helped the others with tips and ideas!

Same here, for different reasons.

And I wanted to give a shout out to Gordig and Sisyphus1977, who both won prizes in the It's Raining Men contest. It felt really good to see people who've worked on their skills in these challenges enter. To see some of those images win, felt even better. Especially as the competition gets steeper every year in that contest.

Congratulations.

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,156
    L'Adair said:

And I wanted to give a shout out to Gordig and Sisyphus1977, who both won prizes in the It's Raining Men contest. It felt really good to see people who've worked on their skills in these challenges enter. To see some of those images win, felt even better. Especially as the competition gets steeper every year in that contest.

Congratulations.

Thank you, I was really honored. I thought that if I won anything, it would be best toon, so when I didn't win that, I figured that was it for me. It was quite surprising when I saw that I won a loftier title.

• L'Adair said:
    Linwelly said:

Same here, for different reasons.

Congratulations.

Thank you for the kind words.  I was surprised given all the really great submissions.  I have found these challenges an opportunity for honing my skills.  I have learned quite alot about Daz 'Studio over the past year. 

• DAZ_ann0314DAZ_ann0314 Posts: 2,815

January 2020

Showcased Participants for the January Composition Challenge

fdsphoto

Tangled up with Ink

Carolinian

Showcased Participants for the January Instancing/Duplication Challenge

Gordig

Sisyphus1977

marjoemartino

New User Welcome

alex86fire

Shack

• fdsphotofdsphoto Posts: 62
    edited February 2020

At a loss for word, but thank you. This challenge has help me Unravel a lot of my confusion of a lot of things in DAZ Studio, kinda like in a bumper rails in a bowling alley kind of way. Definitely gives reassurance that I was on the right path (and not completely in left field as usual. Lol) Also, thanks to everyone in the challenge. Definitely pick up some stuff not related to the topic of the challenge.

Post edited by fdsphoto on
  • daybirddaybird Posts: 648

GZ to all the winner. :)

As a all time loser I still try to learn things I saw here, but I fear my skills far behind a real artist. So I will avoid in the future to judge others entries. ;)

• Congrats to all!  Great stuff!

daybird said:

As a all time loser I still try to learn things I saw here, but I fear my skills far behind a real artist. So I will avoid in the future to judge others entries. ;)

@daybird, I've entered the "It's Raining Men" contest every year but the last one, (as a CV, I couldn't enter,) and I never won anything. That doesn't mean I'm not an artist, or that my opinion on other's work isn't valid. And just because your work wasn't showcased for one challenge or another doesn't mean you are not a real artist, or that your opinion is invalid.

Art is subjective, and we all know what we like. (Or don't like.) Just because I haven't learned a specific skill with the program doesn't mean I can't see an issue; whether or not I know how to correct that issue. The same is true for all our participants. Your opinion is valid, and voicing it may help someone else attain their vision. And the point of these challenges is to help each other learn and hone new skills.

One of my favorite challenge threads doesn't highlight anyone. Take a look. We'd love to have you join us in the Llola Lane’s RENDER A MONTH Challenge. (Anyone is welcome to join in the fun, any skill level.)

• alex86firealex86fire Posts: 1,130

Thanks guys!

These challenges are so good for learning things and pushing me to do stuff out of my comfort zone.

I'm working on 2 submissions for the lighting challenge as well, just can't decide which one to choose. Hope I will post it soon to get some feedback.

• Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252
    daybird said:

@daybird  I know how discouraging it can be when your image is not recognized.  In all the time I spent as a New User I think I was placed in a Monthly Contest Once, maybe twice.  And I participated for two or three years?

You have a real eye for images.  There have been times when something about an image didn't quite look right but I could not figure out what was bothering me.  Then you came along and spotted the thing I missed.  I hope you keep participating but if you feel you need to move on then I respect that decision.

Thank you for your participation.  Many of us have improved thanks to your insights and participation.

• Thanks so much everyone and congratulations

@daybird. I hope you continue to help with your advice.  I believe.that everyone sees things differently and your advice has helped me in the past to see things and try to improve.