January 2020 - Daz 3D New User Challenge - Composition, Instancing, & Duplication

Comments

• CarolynIvySteinCarolynIvyStein Posts: 5
    edited January 2020

January 2020 - Daz 3D New User Challenge - Composition

fdsphoto said:

Image Title: Rainy Nights

Software: DAZ Studio 4.12

Wow! This image really helped me understand the basic composition. I had an epiphany when I saw it and realized that the door was the exact center of the image, fitting perfectly into that middle section. And it's so pretty.

It inspired me to make another underwater picture practicing composition again. I did a fair amount of post-production on this one because I wanted to get a painterly look.

Mermaid love.jpg
    1095 x 862 - 110K
    Post edited by CarolynIvyStein on
  • GordigGordig Posts: 9,151

Look At This Stuff

This is a scene I've had in mind for a little while, so I thought I'd finally put it together. The forks are instances of five different fork objects from Daz products and a few third-party freebies.

• @ wmiller314. Wow :). My first few renders i didn't even know that i had to use acamera and lights.

I have noticed that most of use have an attachment to show our render, what i would like to know is how do i get the bigger pic above in the post?

• LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,795

@ wmiller314. Wow :). My first few renders i didn't even know that i had to use acamera and lights.

I have noticed that most of use have an attachment to show our render, what i would like to know is how do i get the bigger pic above in the post?

In order to post the large image inside the post, you need to have the image already somewhere here on the site, either as attachement to the  post you're making, in the gallery, or somewhere in the Art-forum there is a thread for images only.

Lets take version 1: you make a post with the image attached in small format below, publish the post. Open the attached image file to a separate window, then open the post again via edit.

The is an icon called "image" in the top section clicking on that will pop up a smaller window. go the the open image file and collect the graphic adress by clicking right on the image (copy graphic adress).

remember the attachment must stay in place, don't delete it from you post.

post comment again.

Same for catching an image from the gallery or another thread

Insert the graphic adress to the URL field in the image properties. resize the image to 800 px max (either height or width, whatever is larger)

• @fdsphoto, yours are so good. Hope I can be that good one day.

• @fdsphoto, yours are so good. Hope I can be that good one day.

Well thank you guys. Decided to change things in 2020.

Had to hang up my camera on the photography dream last year, so I figured maybe it's time to revist DAZ as an alternative outlet for the art inside me.

While I've dabbled in DAZ in the past, I never entered any challenges, as I've always been very very shy of posting my work, and never thought it was good enough - coupled with rendering problems on my PC.

So figured I start off 2020 on the right foot and give it a shot, upgraded my system, and starting with this challenge.

We all start somewhere...

And again, thank you for your kind words.

• New User Composition Challenge:

So I only started using Daz about a week ago and I'm completely new to 3d stuff. I'm no where near as good as all these other entries, but I thought I'd put my render up to get some feedback on it. It's the first render I've made that had decent light and no glaring mistakes. LOL. Please tell me what you think. I'd love constructive critism. 

I am also fairly new but I can tell you that I was nowhere near as good as you are when I was a week into Daz 3D. I like what you've done.

Awww! Thanks! 

• @CarolynIvyStein

Wow! This image really helped me understand the basic composition. I had an epiphany when I saw it and realized that the door was the exact center of the image, fitting perfectly into that middle section. And it's so pretty.

It inspired me to make another underwater picture practicing composition again. I did a fair amount of post-production on this one because I wanted to get a painterly look.

Thank you for your kind words as well.

Amazing how just composing differently can tell a very different "a thousand words".

• bastian2560bastian2560 Posts: 81
    edited January 2020

hopefully this looks better.

rex4.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
    Post edited by Chohole on
  • Version F here, adding a room on the other side of a door off the hall that the hidden shambler is in and added a fireball emurging from said room to cast some light on said shambler

jan2020f.png
    800 x 450 - 559K
  • edited January 2020

Beginner Challenge:
    "Composition"

Title: Freedom

Software: DAZ Studio 4.12

I have been studying DAZ for about 2 years now, IMHO I am still a "beginner", there is so much to learn! Your comments and suggestions would be deeply appreciated.

x;

Freedom.png
    2000 x 1600 - 4M
    Post edited by Chohole on
  • RurisRuris Posts: 123
    edited January 2020

@L'adair ,sorry didn't reply to you earlier. Somehow just couldn't get a proper color tone with the fireballs thingy. Just sharing with you my final output, a lower camera angle does work well indeed. Thanks again.

Post edited by Ruris on
  • sueyasueya Posts: 826
    edited January 2020

As I haven't had any feedback on the second version of my image I thought I'd post it again.

I have changed the camera angle to zoom in on the 3 main figures and remove some of the ceiling from the image as recommended by @Linwelly. I have also adjusted the pose of the main couple as I noticed they weren't holding hands when I zoomed in! I think the couple in the background look ok so I'm not planning to add DOF to my image.If  I have enough time I may try using instancing to add a few extra chairs.

Post edited by sueya on
  • daybirddaybird Posts: 648

Hi Sueya, yes the feedback is a little low in this thread, but I did not want give feedback to every entry, because that  looks, like I'm a all time Know-it-all. 

First of all, what is the story behind the scene? For now, I only see dancing people...but wait, there are a pair and a single dancing woman!

That will give you so much possibilities...let the pair laugh to each other and give the single woman a jealous expression...voila we have a classic situation.

Or what, if he look at her and his girlfriend are the jealous one, or even more delicate...what if the girls are interested in each other? ;)

• SaphirewildSaphirewild Posts: 6,648
    edited January 2020

I went in another direction with my render!!

Deer are under a spell of sorts making them run!

Deer Herd Running.png
    1200 x 960 - 2M
    Post edited by Saphirewild on
  • SaphirewildSaphirewild Posts: 6,648
    edited January 2020

Here is one I tried with Cheery Muse!

An Angery Mob.png
    1200 x 960 - 2M
    Post edited by Saphirewild on

Thanks @daybird for all the suggested changes. I decided to show the girl on the right catching the eye of the guy. I have also added two extra chairs using instancing.

• sueya said:

Thanks @daybird for all the suggested changes. I decided to show the girl on the right catching the eye of the guy. I have also added two extra chairs using instancing.

I like it, now it tells the story of why he died that night

: ) lol

• Sisyphus1977Sisyphus1977 Posts: 305
    edited January 2020

Here are the final versions of my submissions.  Just some minor changes, added DOF to the cityscape and very minor tweaks to both the Nails and Response scenes.

Cityscape v2 DOF.jpg
    2538 x 1080 - 2M
    The Great Escape v4a DOF.jpg
    2560 x 1440 - 2M
    Scene v 3 1920.jpg
    1920 x 1920 - 5M
    Post edited by Sisyphus1977 on
  • version g here, adding one last shadowrunner to the mix covering the backs of the two I started with in the begining. Not only that he's engaging something stage right.

Don't know if I'll get a chance to do more with this before the end of the month so this might be my last one on this.

jan2020g.png
    800 x 450 - 568K
  • LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,795

Sorry for being so absent this challenge, but I'm down with the flu since some days, I'll try to do some commenting tomorrow, hope my brain works again then

• Linwelly said:

Sorry for being so absent this challenge, but I'm down with the flu since some days, I'll try to do some commenting tomorrow, hope my brain works again then

Sorry to here that you haven't been feeling well Linwelly, how you're able to get over it soon.  Take care of yourself.

• fdsphotofdsphoto Posts: 62
    edited January 2020

Thought I'd share this one, amazed at discovering the true endless potential and application of instancing and duplicates. 782 instances of a Grass Patch (with slight rotations using Scatter Pro) and 3 Duplicates.

Not being entered for consideration, just more of a comment of things I've taken away from this thread. And how to potentially apply them to my art.

That's close enough there.jpg
    1333 x 1000 - 2M
    Post edited by fdsphoto on
  • HannahNMussHannahNMuss Posts: 14
    edited January 2020

New user challenge: Composition

I followed the opening tutorial to make a "Barefoot Dancer" picture in DAZ Studio.

At first, I wasn't happy with the results. So I kept tinkering with it, until I got results that I liked better (that process took nearly all month). I looked over as many of the composition links as I could, though I didn't get to all of them. I tried to use as much of what I learned as I could.

It probably won't measure up to other compositions, though it's the best I can do right now. Hope someone enjoys looking at it. smiley

The only post work was resizing it.

Since it began as a tutorial, I don't know if it measures up to the "specifically created for this challenge" part. I did only just make it, and I kept tinkering with it because I felt it wasn't "composed" well enough at first. Then I saw this challenge, and, well ... I'll leave the decision about eligibility in the capable hands of the judges. angel

(I also put it into my gallery here, in case anyone is curious about precisely what I used. I duplicated, renamed and recolored some of the texture .jpg's for the shaded haven piece so it didn't clash with her clothes.)

Dolly dancing barefoot sm.png
    1920 x 1920 - 5M
    Post edited by HannahNMuss on
  • fdsphoto said:

Thought I'd share this one, amazed at discovering the true endless potential and application of instancing and duplicates. 782 instances of a Grass Patch (with slight rotations using Scatter Pro) and 3 Duplicates.

Not being entered for consideration, just more of a comment of things I've taken away from this thread. And how to potentially apply them to my art.

That's really impressive.  Beautiful!

• This is my entry for the Beginner challenge, following the rules of composition. I've been using DAZ for a couple years now, but I've never participated in a challenge. In fact, this marks the first time I've shared my work publicly. There is a few thing's I'd change if I did it over again, but I'm cutting ties and moving to another project :)

Suggestions/feedback would be highly appreciated!

-Zac

Humbled.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 497K

Is there a free/ cheaper product which can be used to generate multiple instances of an object at once?

I can see that Scatter Pro would be really useful for creating landscapes that don't place a heavy demand on memory, but I'm not sure if I can afford it.

• alex86firealex86fire Posts: 1,130

This is my entry for the Beginner challenge, following the rules of composition. I've been using DAZ for a couple years now, but I've never participated in a challenge. In fact, this marks the first time I've shared my work publicly. There is a few thing's I'd change if I did it over again, but I'm cutting ties and moving to another project :)

Suggestions/feedback would be highly appreciated!

-Zac

The idea seems great but I think if you changed the angle a little, it would look much better.

Not that I am an expert or anything, but why don't you try to catch them from a 45 degrees angle or the side and try to follow the rule of thirds or the golden ratio for composition?

edited January 2020

-

edited January 2020
    fdsphoto said:
    sueya said:

Is there a free/ cheaper product which can be used to generate multiple instances of an object at once?

I can see that Scatter Pro would be really useful for creating landscapes that don't place a heavy demand on memory, but I'm not sure if I can afford it.

Hi Sueya,

Ultrascatter (non-pro) ia about $10 less. But you can create the same effect with out UltraScatter or UltraScatterPro, it will just cost you more time.

In the image below, I loaded a grass patch prop, made two duplicates oft it. Changed their Y rotations and placed them closer together.

I then place the prop and the two duplicates in to a group, I then created 10 instances of the "Group" and also chaged the Y rotaions of the insatnces.

So instead of 10 instances of 1 Prop, I now have 30 instances of the prop that give the grass in the scene a more robust feeling.

After that point, seems like instancing won't create more instances of instances. But you can still create another group with the instances, and then continue to duplicate the group of instances.

The key is to know how much of the stuff you want, and it only need to be seen by the camera\viewport. No need to fill up the entire scene with it if the camera or viewport (use aspect ratio box no the entire viewport) won't even see it.

P.S. - I only got UltraScatter because of an Item that I puschaed used it, and was the only was to make changes to the items included scene. When I got into this thread is when I firgured out what all those options in scatterpro were for. lol

I created grass like this in the numerous test scenes that I've been experimenting with before getting UltraScatter.