January 2020 - Daz 3D New User Challenge - Composition, Instancing, & Duplication

Comments

• Shinji Ikari 9thShinji Ikari 9th Posts: 1,161
    edited January 2020

Version D here, adding some foes. We have a downed demon, another demon roaring out a challenge, a zombie peeking around the corner near the roaring demon, and three shambling zombies near the elevators (Two are instances of the third, and one of them is more in the shadows in such a way that even I had difficulty picking it out in the render and I know it's there.)

jan2020d.png
    800 x 450 - 489K
    Post edited by Shinji Ikari 9th on
  • RurisRuris Posts: 123
    edited January 2020

Hi,

I'm trying to instance a 'grouped' object (it has the triple hexagon symbol), even if I drill in and select all the chained item, then click on Create Instance, it will only 'copy' part of the object and not all the components within. 

Not sure if I'm doing this right or instances is only meant for 'single layer' object.

(uploaded a pic for better clarity)

Instances.jpg
    426 x 233 - 31K
    Post edited by Ruris on
  • LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,780
    Ruris said:

Hi,

I'm trying to instance a 'grouped' object (it has the triple hexagon symbol), even if I drill in and select all the chained item, then click on Create Instance, it will only 'copy' part of the object and not all the components within. 

Not sure if I'm doing this right or instances is only meant for 'single layer' object.

generally it should work, so I'm a bit lost on what happened there, esp since those parts seem to be bones of the fireball thingy. I will try to find a prop with a symbol like that and test, as I don't have the muselfell items

Can you try and make a group with only that prop and it's bones and make an instance from the group?

• Sisyphus1977Sisyphus1977 Posts: 305
    edited January 2020

I made some changes to this scene.  Added a vacuum to the scene for the SRB 800 to do some clean up.

The Escape v2.jpg
    2284 x 1254 - 3M
    Post edited by Sisyphus1977 on

I made some changes to this scene.  Added a vacuum to the scene for the SRB 800 to do some clean up.

LOL the nails are on the run :D

@Ruris so the genesis character olr or new are hving the same hexagon sign but they can be instanced without trouble so I#m still wondering what went wrong in your case. You did get the instancing to work with other props?

@linwelly

Thanks for checking too. I restarted my pc and it seems ok now (or maybe I see wrong earlier, mmm). Anyway its all good now.

• daybirddaybird Posts: 646

Sisyphus1977 Lol, I like that idea. That brings a lot more story telling and fun in the scene.

Maybe the nails more spread out and run away from the cleaner and  the blue cyborg could look at them, but that is more a personal choise from me. 

Render vs reference art. Well, yes its a drawing so it doesnt really occupy a 3d space and the proportions can be a bit insane (the pelvic tilt couldnt be done without looking really odd). Just want to hear if it can be copied closely or camera angles adjusted, etc. 

Comparison 01.jpg
    3375 x 2250 - 2M
  • daybird said:

Sisyphus1977 Lol, I like that idea. That brings a lot more story telling and fun in the scene.

Maybe the nails more spread out and run away from the cleaner and  the blue cyborg could look at them, but that is more a personal choise from me. 

I had a similar thought and originally set up a different perspective of looking down the street (from the left of the scene) and seeing the Nails characters running away.  I had more Nails in the scene, but it was losing some details of the Nails running away due to their size.  I may just give it another go and move the camera around and change the focal length and distance to see how that looks.

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    edited January 2020
    Ruris said:

Hi,

@Ruris, When I look at the pic you uploaded, I see the instance is parented to the group. That is one of the options for creating instances. I see that you restarted your computer and that it's working correctly now. However, I wonder if parenting the instance to the "object" you wanted to instance may have cause DS to have an issue. Perhaps creating a group to hold the original and the instance(s) would be a better idea:

This:

• Overview Group
      • Fireball Group
        • stuff parented to group
      • Fireball Group Instance

Instead of:

• Fireball Group
      • stuff parented to group
      • Fireball Group Instance

Instances have the option to use just the parent object, or the parent and children. That option is found in the Parameters tab. That can come in handy. For example, you could instance a large table and one chair separately, placing the chair and it's instances around the table and it's instances so a room full of tables and chairs could have only one each of these objects, and still have the chairs arranged differently for each table.

Post edited by L'Adair on
  • L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    edited January 2020
    Ruris said:

Render vs reference art. Well, yes its a drawing so it doesnt really occupy a 3d space and the proportions can be a bit insane (the pelvic tilt couldnt be done without looking really odd). Just want to hear if it can be copied closely or camera angles adjusted, etc. 

@Ruris

Try moving the camera down even further, so you're looking up at an even steeper angle.

• From the viewport, select your camera, so you're looking at your scene through the camera lens.
    • With your camera selected, go to the Parameters tab.
    • Using the zoom icon in the viewport, bring your camera "physically" close to the figure, so close half of what you want to render is out of frame.
    • In the left column of the tab, look for and select Camera.
    • Now adjust Frame Width (mm) and Focal Length (mm) to frame your figure. (Increasing their values)
    • You can also zoom in more and increase the width and length values even more. (My test figure is using a width or 425 and a length of 400, for example.)
    • Do not adjust Focal Distance in the Parameters tab. It will change based on zooming in, (or out,) but adjusting it here doesn't move the camera.

Changing these setting will give you more of the perspective distortion you see in the reference image. Just keep adjusting the zoom in the viewport, and the Frame Width and Focal Length until you like the look.

ETA: I've attached a screenshot of the viewport of my test figure.

for Ruris Camera Adjustments.png
    801 x 867 - 403K
    Post edited by L'Adair on
    edited January 2020

@daybird, that was a good suggestion.  I think I like this camera angle better than the other.  I added more Nails characters to the scene.

"The Great Escape"

The Great Escape - B Camera.jpg
    2400 x 1920 - 4M
  • sueyasueya Posts: 825
    edited January 2020

Dance Party

This is my entry for the Composition section of the contest

The couple in the background are a billboard

Post edited by Chohole on
  • daybirddaybird Posts: 646
    edited January 2020

@daybird, that was a good suggestion.  I think I like this camera angle better than the other.  I added more Nails characters to the scene.

"The Great Escape"

Mhh, from that position we lost, that the nails jump out of his head and the picture get a great imbalance in the composition. we have all protagonists in the left upper side and the right down side is nearly empty. (see attachment)

On the other side, the new cameraposition brings more dynamic in the scene. I think, if you turn the fallen robot a little (so that we can see again, that the nail jumps out of him) and bring him and the nails to the empty side(black arrow) it would be nearly perfect. The blue lady looks now great and I think with the new position even the selfie lady looks more right in place.

All in all I think, you did a great job and I like this idea and scene a lot it such a funny.

robots empty position.jpg
    806 x 641 - 181K
    Post edited by daybird on
  • alex86firealex86fire Posts: 1,130

Ok, so here's my try at this.

Decided to do something in the end.

Until now I focused on the 2 characters and posing them. I am still having some trouble with clothes clipping, dForce is kind of messing with me here, will either try again later or correct in Blender at the end.

I am undecided if I want it to be set outdoors in a Shaolin yard or indoors in a Shaolin temple like structure so for now I just put the characters on a plan with grass.

For lights I just used a HDR as the lighting will change depending if the scene is indoors or outdoors.

I think the clothes are too shiny right now, no idea why, but will play with the glossiness and other setting more once I have the light.

Master and Pupil.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
  • Ok, so here's my try at this.

Until now I focused on the 2 characters and posing them. I am still having some trouble with clothes clipping, dForce is kind of messing with me here, will either try again later or correct in Blender at the end.

I am undecided if I want it to be set outdoors in a Shaolin yard or indoors in a Shaolin temple like structure so for now I just put the characters on a plan with grass.

For lights I just used a HDR as the lighting will change depending if the scene is indoors or outdoors.

I think the clothes are too shiny right now, no idea why, but will play with the glossiness and other setting more once I have the light.

Looks like the master is eather propping the pupil a bit, or is about to bonk her on the head.

edited January 2020
    daybird said:

"The Great Escape"

Mhh, from that position we lost, that the nails jump out of his head and the picture get a great imbalance in the composition. we have all protagonists in the left upper side and the right down side is nearly empty. (see attachment)

On the other side, the new cameraposition brings more dynamic in the scene. I think, if you turn the fallen robot a little (so that we can see again, that the nail jumps out of him) and bring him and the nails to the empty side(black arrow) it would be nearly perfect. The blue lady looks now great and I think with the new position even the selfie lady looks more right in place.

All in all I think, you did a great job and I like this idea and scene a lot it such a funny.

Good point.  With the number of characters, getting the right angle to capture all of them is a bit of a challenge.  Here is another go, I rotated the cyborg on the ground some and moved the robot with the vaccum along with the blue girl.  I left the selfie girl as is, since she is supposed to be setting up for a shot of her with the cyborg and if I move or rotate her too much, her angle for getting her selfie is off (I parented a camera to the phone so I can see what the angle from the phone would be).

So here is the next version. 

The Great Escape v4.jpg
    2560 x 1440 - 4M

Looks like the master is eather propping the pupil a bit, or is about to bonk her on the head.

The second one is exactly what he is about to do. I am thinking maybe I also do a little reaction from the pupil.

The idea would be that the pupil sees the master has his eyes closed so she cheats onn the position but the master senses it and bonks her on the head.

• Ok, so here's my try at this.

The second one is exactly what he is about to do. I am thinking maybe I also do a little reaction from the pupil.

The idea would be that the pupil sees the master has his eyes closed so she cheats onn the position but the master senses it and bonks her on the head.

I don't think I could blame her, I tried to pose myself in the position that they apper to be in, and I wasn't able to get as seated if you will as they are.

Yes, it's a very difficult pose :), I had to use a chair myself, but I've seen it done.

457e7b7dba2bdf4ff3503ab0892f95ce--kungfu-martial-arts.jpg
    473 x 585 - 43K
    iTKnO3K.jpg
    448 x 649 - 65K

Difficult posing here but a good start (we're going to have a month with posing as topic soon, so you're going to have fun there :D)

Some words on that though, and on you examples there as well. I've done that pose myself so I know what I'm talking about ^^

In your example images the kid is doing it correctly, the adult one is faked (probably photoshopped) so use the kid photo as orientation. You see the heavy point of the body is in the axis between shoulders and hips so the food needs to be placed beneath the heavy point of the body else you'll fall, you can be master as much as you want, there is no denying gravity.

So the foot they are standing on need to be centered in the middle and the upper body leans in to the front a little bit (the better you are the lower to the hip that happens and the upper body will straighten up again, so thats what your master there might do)

Overall I like the idea, try experimenting a bit with camera angles and the posing of the stick, which can be used as a nice compositional guiding line

daybird said:

"The Great Escape"

Good point.  With the number of characters, getting the right angle to capture all of them is a bit of a challenge.  Here is another go, I rotated the cyborg on the ground some and moved the robot with the vaccum along with the blue girl.  I left the selfie girl as is, since she is supposed to be setting up for a shot of her with the cyborg and if I move or rotate her too much, her angle for getting her selfie is off (I parented a camera to the phone so I can see what the angle from the phone would be).

So here is the next version. 

yes I like this angle the best so far, the nails coming out of the head is an important story part there. Plus you are using a nice trick here with at least one of the nails leaving the picture frame. Maybe even try with a bti of DOF focused on the head of the fallen one, should be most of the nails are in focus then and the girl with her phone as well.

I'm thinking as well that it would be an interesting experiment to see the shadows fall a different direction, but I'm not sure if that really better.

sueya said:

Dance Party

This is my entry for the Composition section of the contest

The couple in the background are a billboard

I wonder why you decided to keep the camera out far enough to see the spots on the ceiling? That way the upper half of your image stays rather boring. You could experiment with using a flatter format for your image and with that get closer to the action. If you are traying to avoid the billbord people to be recognized as such, I suggest using DOF on the front couple. Remember to use the thirds guide on your image.

Linwelly said:

Difficult posing here but a good start (we're going to have a month with posing as topic soon, so you're going to have fun there :D)

Some words on that though, and on you examples there as well. I've done that pose myself so I know what I'm talking about ^^

In your example images the kid is doing it correctly, the adult one is faked (probably photoshopped) so use the kid photo as orientation. You see the heavy point of the body is in the axis between shoulders and hips so the food needs to be placed beneath the heavy point of the body else you'll fall, you can be master as much as you want, there is no denying gravity.

So the foot they are standing on need to be centered in the middle and the upper body leans in to the front a little bit (the better you are the lower to the hip that happens and the upper body will straighten up again, so thats what your master there might do)

Overall I like the idea, try experimenting a bit with camera angles and the posing of the stick, which can be used as a nice compositional guiding line

Interesting, I would not have thought somebody would use photoshop on a shaolin monk :).

I thought more in the lines of the adult was more experienced and could keep a more correct pose and the kid kept it at a base level.

edited January 2020

As suggested by Linwelly, I have added depth of field to the image.  I chose to keep the core characters in focus, so the only ones not are the SRB 800 with the vacuum and some of the nails characters.  I need to think a bit on the shadows as right now I like the direction and strength as it conveys an early summer, late spring day, before the restrauant opens, which was what I was going for.

The Great Escape v4 DOF.jpg
    2560 x 1440 - 3M
    edited January 2020

Version two of my big city scene.  Only made a few changes, so far so good.

Cityscape v2.jpg
    2538 x 1080 - 3M
  • SaphirewildSaphirewild Posts: 6,648
    edited January 2020

Here is my first WIP for instances.

I used a low polly horse for the multiple duplacations.

Animal Delight WIP.jpg
    900 x 563 - 725K
    Post edited by Saphirewild on
  • GordigGordig Posts: 9,035

@Saphirewild, adding a second horse would help sell the instancing, even if all you did was mirror the pose of the first horse. 

• SaphirewildSaphirewild Posts: 6,648
    Gordig said:

@Saphirewild, adding a second horse would help sell the instancing, even if all you did was mirror the pose of the first horse. 

Ok thanks @Gordig I will try that in my next try.