It's Raining Men 2019 is Now Over! Winners Announced!

Comments

• watchdog79watchdog79 Posts: 1,026
    edited December 2019

Thank you for the advice everyone. I am trying to render the first scene again, but it is still going painfully slow and I may have to redo it anyway. I am not sure whether I am going to be able to create a second scene. I may not be able to enter the contest at all, but even in that case, I have learnt something new here, and for that I am grateful.

Remember that you need two entries if you want to enter the New User category. However, you can still enter the rest of the categories with one entry (as far as I understand). ;) If I'm wrong, @knittingmommy can correct me.

I know, and I am throwing the towel into the ring for now.

I did everything I could and the final render looks even worse than yesterday. My scene comes out rendered unfinished no matter what I try.

I must be doing something very basic totally wrong, and I just don't know what it is. My first renders, those that are in my gallery, went well (and fast). This scene simply won't reder finished for me. I apparently lack the basic knowledge of what does what exactly, and what is influenced by what and how. There is not enough time left and I have other things to do than leaving my PC rendering in vain for days.

I think you can attach a scene file to a post in the forums. It's basically just a text file that tells Daz Studio what items to pull up and where to place them in your scene. Try attaching your scene file to the the thread and I'll pull it up in my Daz studio. I'll look and see if I can flag anything in your settings that might be causing your render to take too long. I had to temporarily replace my old computer set up with a very basic down to the bones computer so I could work. If I can render the scene, I will try to see how long it takes on my system and see if I notice anything that makes it take too long. I might not have all the assets, but I'm betting I have most of them.

Do you mean the DSON User File (.duf)?

Post edited by watchdog79 on
  • Thank you for the advice everyone. I am trying to render the first scene again, but it is still going painfully slow and I may have to redo it anyway. I am not sure whether I am going to be able to create a second scene. I may not be able to enter the contest at all, but even in that case, I have learnt something new here, and for that I am grateful.

Remember that you need two entries if you want to enter the New User category. However, you can still enter the rest of the categories with one entry (as far as I understand). ;) If I'm wrong, @knittingmommy can correct me.

I know, and I am throwing the towel into the ring for now.

I did everything I could and the final render looks even worse than yesterday. My scene comes out rendered unfinished no matter what I try.

I must be doing something very basic totally wrong, and I just don't know what it is. My first renders, those that are in my gallery, went well (and fast). This scene simply won't reder finished for me. I apparently lack the basic knowledge of what does what exactly, and what is influenced by what and how. There is not enough time left and I have other things to do than leaving my PC rendering in vain for days.

I think you can attach a scene file to a post in the forums. It's basically just a text file that tells Daz Studio what items to pull up and where to place them in your scene. Try attaching your scene file to the the thread and I'll pull it up in my Daz studio. I'll look and see if I can flag anything in your settings that might be causing your render to take too long. I had to temporarily replace my old computer set up with a very basic down to the bones computer so I could work. If I can render the scene, I will try to see how long it takes on my system and see if I notice anything that makes it take too long. I might not have all the assets, but I'm betting I have most of them.

Do you mean the DSON User File (.duf)?

Yes. That's the file you save in your Scenes folder. It's just a text file and doesn't transfer any Daz assets. It allows someone else who has Daz Studio to bring up your scene on their computer. If I don't have one of the objects in your scene, it will just show up as blocks. Attach that file and I'll see what your settings look like on my computer to see if I can spot any red flags that would cause the render to go longer or not finish.

• watchdog79watchdog79 Posts: 1,026

I cannot do it. It starts uploading and then it says "No file data could be found in your post".frown

Is there a file size limit? The file is over 10 MB.

• I cannot do it. It starts uploading and then it says "No file data could be found in your post".frown

I'm not sure. It's possible you can't upload to the forum. I know you can upload scene files to the gallery. But that would mean uploading your unfinished render as well. Do you have access to Dropbox or Google Files? If you upload through one of those and then PM the link, I can download it and take a look at the file when I get it.

• I updated the prize thread again. I goofed when updating it earlier and forgot to still have a prize from FenixPhoenix's shop in 2nd place with the GC donation from @watchdog79. That's now fix. Sorry for any confusion.

• SylvanSylvan Posts: 2,684

Awesome to see so many amazing entries. Many thanks to Knittingmommy!

• 3dcheapskate3dcheapskate Posts: 2,689
    edited December 2019

I have an idea for a third entry, but...
    The ToS state "Posts, threads, and images MUST NOT contain ANY nudity, violence, or profanity." - my main character is naked, except for a sword, since it's a NMIATWAS picture.
    However, Richard's Acceptable Ways of Handling Nudity thread seems to indicate that as long as the hairy-dangly bits are  "...screened by solid scenery and props in the scene..." it might be okay.
    So... would a hand held, in an embarrassed manner, over the part in question be sufficient* ? His hand is definitely solid and it's definitely screening the aforementioned bits (which aren't actually there anyway since he's the basic no-gen M4), but his hand is neither scenery nor prop.
    I've already done a small render of my basic idea, which I'd like somebody to check for okay-or-not-ness - so who can do that ?
    (But I've noticed that ! can't attach a picture to a PM, so how do I let the tos-okay-or-not-ness-checker see the test render ?)

*I've tried other options: giving him underwear; having him use a buckler to conceal his embarrassmenrt; and having a candlestick in the foreground. But I don't think any of those work quite as well.

Post edited by 3dcheapskate on
  • Since he's in a N and in a T, can't you put a little pedestal type altar in front of him? Maybe put a bowl on it with a banana and some lemons or something in the bowl?
  • isidornisidorn Posts: 1,601

@3dcheapskate ,you should be able to upload the image to your DAZ gallery and choose the private setting (not sure what it's called) so it's not publicly viewable. Then a link to the image should let anyone you want to show it to be able to see it.

But what you describe should be allowed. I've made pretty much the same thing with a female. It was for a PC+ contest if memory serves me right and it never got removed. It's still in my gallery too, and the Gallery Guardians tend to be stricter than then forum.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929
    edited December 2019

I cannot do it. It starts uploading and then it says "No file data could be found in your post".frown

The file size limit is about 4.9mb so I wouldn't go over that.

Post edited by nonesuch00 on
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,223
    Well since we have so many wonderful entries for our storytelling category (which will make it very hard to choose winners), we have prepared a small gift as a thank you for entering a render. Will be sending out PMs with a download link once the competition finishes ;).

That's amazingly kind and thoughtful of you! Thank you!

Diomede said:

The prize list has been updated with another donation and an additional prize for the Storyteller's category. Thanks to @watchdog79 for the donation! :)

You can check out the complete prize package at the following link:

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/5055381/#Comment_5055381

Wow!  So many great prizes and interesting categories.  After just a few events, The Its Raining Men Challenge has grown to a wonderful end-of-year party that many of us look forward to.  Congratulations, Knittingmommy, on making it happen (with help, of course).  Your efforts are much appreciated.

+1heart

• I have a tiny bit of a problem. I haven't posted any images in about 2 years and want to submit my entries today. Just can't remember how. If anyone can explain to a technologically disadvantaged person, please let me know. Thanks.
  • Carola OCarola O Posts: 3,823
    edited December 2019

Heh, managed to get a third entry into the contest after all. Not the scene I had planned, but someting I throw together today *sheepish smile* Was unsure if it fitted for the categories I put it as, but decided to play it safe. If I was wrong (most likely) about the toon category, please just remove it from that please KM

Post edited by Carola O on
  • KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191
    edited December 2019

The ToS state "Posts, threads, and images MUST NOT contain ANY nudity, violence, or profanity." - my main character is naked, except for a sword, since it's a NMIATWAS picture.
    However, Richard's Acceptable Ways of Handling Nudity thread seems to indicate that as long as the hairy-dangly bits are  "...screened by solid scenery and props in the scene..." it might be okay.
    So... would a hand held, in an embarrassed manner, over the part in question be sufficient* ? His hand is definitely solid and it's definitely screening the aforementioned bits (which aren't actually there anyway since he's the basic no-gen M4), but his hand is neither scenery nor prop.
    I've already done a small render of my basic idea, which I'd like somebody to check for okay-or-not-ness - so who can do that ?
    (But I've noticed that ! can't attach a picture to a PM, so how do I let the tos-okay-or-not-ness-checker see the test render ?)

*I've tried other options: giving him underwear; having him use a buckler to conceal his embarrassmenrt; and having a candlestick in the foreground. But I don't think any of those work quite as well.

You'd have to ask Richard, but I think maybe, maybe not. It seems to me I recall a discussion which said holding hands in front of said areas was not enough so I don't know. Richard would be the definitive person to ask though.

I have a tiny bit of a problem. I haven't posted any images in about 2 years and want to submit my entries today. Just can't remember how. If anyone can explain to a technologically disadvantaged person, please let me know. Thanks.

Find the Entry thread, here's a link, and start a post. Name your entry, tag which categories you want to enter into. Main category is automatic for every entry. Upload your file as an attachment to the post. You'll have to save you post at that point. Then go back and edit the post to put the image into the post.

Right click on your attachment so it goes into a new window. Right click on the image and then select copy image location. Now, edit your post, put your cursor where you want the image to place. Click on the image icon at the top of the editing window. You should get a popup that looks like this:

Paste in the link you copied and paste it in the URL slot. Set the image dimensions so it's 800 or less in the Width box. Click on the Link Tab: paste in your URL again and select New Window. You should be all set. Click on the OK button. Save your post.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

You'd have to ask Richard, but I think maybe, maybe not. It seems to me I recall a discussion which said holding hands in front of said areas was not enough so I don't know. Richard would be the definitive person to ask though.

Richard states, in his thread on the subject :-

• there must be opaque clothing of some kind over the area, or it must be screened by solid scenery and props in the scene:
  • Chohole said:

• there must be opaque clothing of some kind over the area, or it must be screened by solid scenery and props in the scene:

Which means no hands, I'm guessing, @3dcheapskate. You'll need some type of prop.

Can you believe it's the LAST day of the contest. Finish up those renders everyone!!! You've got until Daz midnight which is Utah time, which is MST (Mountain Standard Time) or GMT -7 hours. Whichever you're comfortable figuring out in reference to your time.

• gerterasmusgerterasmus Posts: 287
    edited December 2019
    Posted first 2 entries. Will see if no 3 will be ready in time. And Holy Crap, I can see I haven't done any DAZ in 2 years.
    Post edited by gerterasmus on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    Chohole said:

Which means no hands, I'm guessing, @3dcheapskate. You'll need some type of prop.

I can always remember someone doing a male pin up in a contest once which was entitled "Wherever I hang my hat is home"

• Thank you @Knittingmommy. Great contest and excellent entries this year again.

I was able to enter twice so I am happy.

• FenixPhoenixFenixPhoenix Posts: 3,023

Remember to specify which categories you're entering.

Even if there is storytelling within a render, we'll only consider entries tagged/specified as taking part in the Storytelling Category when we choose the winners for that category.

Well since we have so many wonderful entries for our storytelling category (which will make it very hard to choose winners), we have prepared a small gift as a thank you for entering a render. Will be sending out PMs with a download link once the competition finishes ;).

Our pleasure. We wanted everyone to start the year with a little something as a thank you for their effort. Actually my second and third entries can be considered teasers for the thank you gift. I just finished packaging it, so once winners are announced, we'll send out PMs with a download link. :)

• 3dcheapskate3dcheapskate Posts: 2,689
    edited January 2020
    Chohole said:

That's what I suspected, and I'm out of time any way. I've posted what I had to my DA gallery if anyone's wondering... NMIATWAS

Happy New Year to everybody

Post edited by 3dcheapskate on
  • Our pleasure. We wanted everyone to start the year with a little something as a thank you for their effort. Actually my second and third entries can be considered teasers for the thank you gift. I just finished packaging it, so once winners are announced, we'll send out PMs with a download link. :)

OMG! I think you guys are awesome for doing this. And I think I just figured out what you're going to give away.
  • @FenixPhoenix posted from my phone, so the quote thing didn't work as I thought it would.

Our pleasure. We wanted everyone to start the year with a little something as a thank you for their effort. Actually my second and third entries can be considered teasers for the thank you gift. I just finished packaging it, so once winners are announced, we'll send out PMs with a download link. :)

Sweet Renders!!!! Excited = Me!

edited January 2020

OMG! I think you guys are awesome for doing this. And I think I just figured out what you're going to give away.

I put a lot of effort into it during the last few days. It started out with I'll just do a couple of... (it's still a semi-surprise so leaving it blank)... but then I continued to build upon it and add more until earlier today, lol. By which time Alberto (my brother and work partner) told me to wrap it up already lol.

Post edited by FenixPhoenix on
  •  OMG! I think you guys are awesome for doing this. And I think I just figured out what you're going to give away.

I put a lot of effort into it during the last few days. It started out with I'll just do a couple of... (it's still a semi-surprise so leaving it blank)... but then I continued to build upon it and add more until earlier today, lol. By which time Alberto (my brother and work partner) told me to wrap it up already lol.

Sounds intriguing and I think I might have guessed. Not sure. It's a shame I never enter my own contest. lol. Someone better do some renders when they get it and show it off. Send me a link or, better yet, post to this thread when the contest is over and you use it! I would love to see.

• Less than an hour left everyone! Better finish those renders!

Sounds intriguing and I think I might have guessed. Not sure. It's a shame I never enter my own contest. lol. Someone better do some renders when they get it and show it off. Send me a link or, better yet, post to this thread when the contest is over and you use it! I would love to see.

Of course we are also planning to send you and everyone who donated prizes the freebie link ;). So hopefully it will be of use to you!