It's Raining Men 2019 is Now Over! Winners Announced!

Comments

• FenixPhoenixFenixPhoenix Posts: 3,028
    @Novica, The survey linked in @Knittingmommy's signature (can't access it from my phone :/) shows which entries are eligible for which categories. As far as I can tell, all entries are eligible for the main competition. Only the special categories have filters for what is and what is not eligible to win those.
  • NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited January 2020

Hmmm, according to the last post of the voting thread-It gives the categories and labels many of them not eligible. Those entries are mixed in with the ones that ARE eligible.

Post edited by Novica on
    edited January 2020
    Novica said:

Hmmm, not according to the last post of the voting thread.  It gives the categories and labels many of them not eligible. Those entries are mixed in with the ones that ARE eligible.

It is a little confusing indeed. But those which are label at the end are the special categories. The main raining men's competition has three places and all entries are eligible for them. The survey has it better organized. Here's the link for the survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/C2SMX32
    Post edited by FenixPhoenix on
    edited January 2020

Yeah, but my point is I went through all those entries, only to be told at the end that most of them can't be voted on. You don't go to the survey first, you go to it after you make your selections. frown

Edit- but what you're saying is even if they are in a special category, they are ALSO in the main selection and can be voted on?

Post edited by Novica on
    Novica said:

Yeah, but my point is I went through all those entries, only to be told at the end that most of them can't be voted on. You don't go to the survey first, you go to it after you make your selections. frown

Edit- but what you're saying is even if they are in a special category, they are ALSO in the main selection and can be voted on?

Yes, all entries are eligible for the main competition. Then the special categories are further filtered in the survey so you know which one correspond to which category. Only the storytelling and new users categories aren't included in the survey since those aren't up to public voting :). But I agree that perhaps that information can be included in the first post of the voting thread so people are aware before jumping into the survey.

Okay, went to the survey and they are in the main competition. Agree, this is confusing and that last post should clarify they are in the main competition- better yet, don't post that last one at all! 

Novica said:

Okay, went to the survey and they are in the main competition. Agree, this is confusing and that last post should clarify they are in the main competition- better yet, don't post that last one at all! 

Yes, since i have been on the loop from the start, I hadn't considered that people who don't have that information beforehand might find things a bit confusing. I do believe that last post was mostly for the sponsors of each category (so they know which entries qualify) and for those who may have forgotten to properly tag their entries for an extra category.
    Novica said:

Yes, since i have been on the loop from the start, I hadn't considered that people who don't have that information beforehand might find things a bit confusing. I do believe that last post was mostly for the sponsors of each category (so they know which entries qualify) and for those who may have forgotten to properly tag their entries for an extra category.

Voted. Good luck to everyone, there's SO many superb renders! 

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929

Lucky for me my favorites of the entire list also qualified for the different categories, so I just wound up voting for the same images a couple of times.

• KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191
    edited January 2020
    Novica said:

At the beginning of the entry thread- "Each entry has been given a random number below. Look through the thread, write down your favorties, and use those numbers to help make your choices on the survey."  So I did. 

First, I know what it takes to do a contest and the work involved. Kudos!  However, after going through the Entry Thread and seeing the information at the bottom, I do have a suggestion.

First, I don't monitor the contest discussion thread, as I don't enter this contest and just don't have time. Many potential voters don't. But we support the contest by voting. 

Most of the ones I chose were not eligible to be picked, it would be more helpful if on the entry thread,  the eligible ones were grouped and at the beginning of the entry thread. And that information at the bottom could be at the top (and condensed, to just a one line such as "The (Category) are not eligible but are shown for you enjoyment. They are found below the Eligible group.")  and they would be grouped in the entry thread  BELOW the eligible group with "Not Eligible" in parenthesis by the group name. Example  Category: X (Not Eligible). This way, with them grouped,  you don't need to list each one in the statement at the top.

Unfortunately, I just spent a lot of time and most of the ones I picked CAN'T be picked. The storytelling ones are phenomenol btw, well done!

So just a thought? It would make it easier for voting to have the eligible ones identified. :) 

I'm confused? I don't understand what entries can't be picked. Each category has it's own section. The first part is for the main open category for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. The Toon, Carrara, and other categories have their own section with just those images in the category of those that qualified. The New User and Storytelling categories aren't up for open voting.

Am I missing something or not understanding the problem?

Edit: sometimes I'm a little slow thinking on the weekend. I think I finally figured out what @Novica was saying. See my next post for a possible solution to the issue.

Novica said:

Also, you need to put a link in the first post, first line to the official voting thread. You have an entries thread linked, but it's not to the official voting thread. wink

Ah, that was an error on my part and I'll fix that now.

Post edited by Knittingmommy on
  • I'm not sure if this addresses the problem you had @Novica, but I edited the voting thread with this line:

For a listing of the individual categories and their entries, please go to the bottom of the page.

Does that help? I don't think this issue has come up before. I've never thought about having the categories shown at the top. I suppose that's something I will have to consider for next year. Given how long the posts are, I'm not sure I can move the individual categories to the top of the thread now. Hopefully, that line will help.

• Thanks KM for all your hard work. Great entries everyone. Very hard to choose, but I did.

I voted.

Will we get to see the actual number results of where our entries ended up? I wasn't going to enter this year due to past poor showings. Don't expect to win anything, still, I want to know how badly I did.

edited January 2020

I'm not sure if this addresses the problem you had @Novica, but I edited the voting thread with this line:

For a listing of the individual categories and their entries, please go to the bottom of the page.

Does that help? I don't think this issue has come up before. I've never thought about having the categories shown at the top. I suppose that's something I will have to consider for next year. Given how long the posts are, I'm not sure I can move the individual categories to the top of the thread now. Hopefully, that line will help.

The confusion was the bottom post led me to believe those categories listed as ineligible were ineligible overall for the main vote. So perhaps a statement at the beginning stating "All entries shown are eligible for the main vote (or competition.)  For additional voting, other categories are listed at the end of the entries."

That way it tells voters everything they see can be voted on for the main contest, and IN ADDITION, blah blah.  Hope I'm making sense to you :) 

Post edited by Novica on
  • SBibbSBibb Posts: 596

Voted... but wow, that was difficult to choose. There are so many renders that deserve recognition and look excellent!

edited January 2020
    Novica said:

I'm not sure if this addresses the problem you had @Novica, but I edited the voting thread with this line:

The confusion was the bottom post led me to believe those categories listed as ineligible were ineligible overall for the main vote. So perhaps a statement at the beginning stating "All entries shown are eligible for the main vote (or competition.)  For additional voting, other categories are listed at the end of the entries."

That way it tells voters everything they see can be voted on for the main contest, and IN ADDITION, blah blah.  Hope I'm making sense to you :) 

Oh, yes, that's one the first page of the Discussion page, that all entries qualify for the main category. I didn't think to add that to the Voting thread. I can do that. I never thought someone would think they were ineligible because they are all listed in the category on the voting thread. I can add that to the Voting thread. In fact, I'll copy and paste because it's worded perfectly. It just didn't occur to me to add that to the Voting thread, but it really should have.

I'm sorry for any confusion.

edit: I actually did end up tweaking @Novica's suggestion just a little. There is now a statment clarifying that all images qualify for the main voting.

• LaPartitaLaPartita Posts: 401

Voted! But wow, was that hard - I can't believe just how good those entries were!!

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,811

done  

• 3dcheapskate3dcheapskate Posts: 2,689

Voted. The difficult bit was going from my favourite dozen to just three.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,227

Voted. The difficult bit was going from my favourite dozen to just three.

So it wasn't just me? ;)

edited January 2020

@knittingmommy    Perfect!  With two different sets of people (those who follow the contest and discussion thread / those who want to support the contest and vote)  everyone is on the same page on the voting thread from the get-go.  Thanks again for all the hard work you do setting it up, and the voting. This contest has a huge amount of entries and I know it takes hours and hours to do all that.

Post edited by Novica on
  • Novica said:

@knittingmommy    Perfect!  With two different sets of people (those who follow the contest and discussion thread / those who want to support the contest and vote)  everyone is on the same page on the voting thread from the get-go.  Thanks again for all the hard work you do setting it up, and the voting. This contest has a huge amount of entries and I know it takes hours and hours to do all that.

Great!

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,083

At a minimum, I do hope that all the participants take the time to vote.

• Saidge42Saidge42 Posts: 129

voted!!  and thanks again to @Knittingmommy for all the tremondous work you do - you rock :)  this is my favourite contest every year!!

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588

Finally had time to vote.  Technically, it is a very well-constructed voting format.  You've made the process very easy.  But the decisions are nearly impossible.smiley  There were so many outstanding and unusual renders, that tomorrow I would likely have voted for a different set of 3.

Kudos to KM for engaging in this massive undertaking! yes

Diomede said:

At a minimum, I do hope that all the participants take the time to vote.

+1

• Worlds_EdgeWorlds_Edge Posts: 2,145

Oh my Gosh, there are so many wonderful renders/pictures to choose from, voting is an impossible task.    

edited January 2020

I just want to remind anyone who hasn't voted yet that there are only two more days and a few hours left to vote. Voting ends on the January 29th around Daz Midnight or 11:59 pm MST or GMT -7. So if you haven't voted yet, time's running out.

• Submitted my vote, so many great submissions.  Thanks to @Knittingmommy for all the work and effort to pull this off.

• gerterasmusgerterasmus Posts: 287
    edited January 2020

@Knittingmommy

This is my problem.

Capture.JPG
    1301 x 920 - 128K
    Capture2.JPG
    462 x 780 - 49K
    Capture3.JPG
    806 x 847 - 67K
    Capture4.JPG
    611 x 880 - 77K
    Post edited by gerterasmus on
  • @gerterasmus I have no idea why it's doing that. All images are showing when I look at the link whether I'm logged in or not. Is this something that just started happening today? I haven't heard of anyone else having a problem seeing the images so I'm not sure if it's an internet issue or a forum issue. I'll look into it and see if Richard might have an idea what the problem is, but at this point I'd say give it a couple of hours and try again in a bit?

Is anyone else having the same problem seeing the images in the voting thread that @gertasmus is having? Please let me know.