Daz Install Manager (DIM) 1.2.0.52, Now Available!

Daz SoftwareDaz Software Posts: 35
edited October 2019 in The Commons

Daz 3D is pleased to announce the next public version of Daz Install Manager

• Version: 1.2.0.52
  • Date: October 15, 2019

What is new in this version?

The 1.2.0.51 version makes improvements to, or fixes issues discovered since, the 1.2.0.27 General Release. More detail on specific fixes/changes/improvements can be found in the Change Log, which can be viewed online within the Documentation Center portion of our site. All new downloads of DAZ Install Manager will be of this version.

Highlights:

1.2.0.52 (October 15, 2019)

• Account Login
    • Fixed an issue with account credentials (i.e., email/password) that contain special characters

1.2.0.51 (October 15, 2019)

• General
    • The way the main application (which provides the user interface, performs downloads, and performs installation/uninstallation of "Content" type packages) and the helper application (which operates with elevated permissions and performs the installation/uninstallation of "Plugin" and "Software" type packages) communicate has changed
  • macOS
    • Several changes have been made to support the newly released operating system; macOS 10.15 (Catalina)
    • NOTE: Automatic update from an earlier version of Install Manager, to this version, on a machine that is already running macOS 10.15 (Catalina) is likely to fail
      • Users that are running macOS 10.15 (Catalina) should manually download and install this version
  • Legacy Database Support
    • Support for Valentina DB has been removed

How do I get the latest version?

If you have previously installed the Install Manager application and the computer it is installed on is connected to the internet, you can simply launch the application and log into your account. Once connected, you will be notified that an update has been detected and you will be prompted to "Update" or "Work Offline". Click the "Update" button and the application will take care of the rest.

Optionally, you can locate, download and install the application from the Product Library (once you are logged into your account) by entering "Install Manager" into the text field near the top left of the page and clicking the "Filter" button, or by clicking one of the following links:

If this is your first time downloading and/or installing Install Manager, simply follow this link, click the "download free now" button on the page and then run the downloaded installer.

*Note: If you experience a crash during the uninstaller phase of the update, it is recommended that you download the installer from the Product Library (see above) and run it manually.

Is there any documentation?

Yes, documentation is located here. Clicking the "Help" button in the top right corner of the application main window will launch your [default] browser to the same location.

Post edited by rbtwhiz on

Comments

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,579
    edited October 2019

...new DIM update did the following:

Placed the .account ini file and file register file in the wrong location (the .ini was outside the User folder in the User Accounts folder and the Install Manager Register .json on the desktop).

Wiped out my sign in credentials forcing me to have to manually enter them.

Wiped out my install settings and preferences, defaulting to installing on the C: drive (all my content is on the much larger D: "Library/Runtime" drive).

It is as if I ended up having to do a clean install instead of updating as updates to software are supposed to remember your settings and preferences, not overwrite or delete them.

Makes me even more reluctant to update to the General Release version of Daz 4.12 and just stay with the Beta.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • kyoto kid said:

Placed the .account ini file and file register file in the wrong location (the .ini was outside the User folder in the User Accounts folder and the Install Manager Register .json on the desktop).

Wiped out my install settings and preferences, defaulting to installing on the C: drive (all my content is on the much larger D: "Library/Runtime" drive).

It is as if I ended up having to do a clean install instead of updating as updates to software are supposed to remember your settings and preferences, not overwrite or delete them.

Makes me even more reluctant to update to the General Release version of Daz 4.12 and just stay with the Beta.

I didn't have those issues, running an in-place update from DIM itself. I suspect it was just bad luck, something (glitch, security software) interfered with the process.

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,945

No issue for me, either, not that helps you in any way .... Win 7 64-bit

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,158

Worked perfectly for me, too. KK must have a unique situation.

• IvyIvy Posts: 7,154

I just updated Dim. no issues to report.

edited October 2019
    kyoto kid said:

I didn't have those issues, running an in-place update from DIM itself. I suspect it was just bad luck, something (glitch, security software) interfered with the process.

..have been using the same security software for years. The Daz site, store, forums and the DIM are all whitelisted. Never had an issue until last night.

W7 Pro 64.

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    edited October 2019

I have DIM installed on two computers. This computer is Win7Pro 64-bit with DIM installed to the default location. I don't use this computer for DS except ocassionally checking things in older versions of DS to answer questions in the forums. I use DIM from here to download backups of my purchases. The update to 1.2.0.52 went smoothly. No issues at all.

The other computer is The Beast, the computer I use exclusively for 3D and other graphics, mostly in support of my 3D hobby. The Beast is running Win10Pro 64-bit with DIM installed to the default location. When I opened DIM last night, I was prompted to download and install the .52 update. I clicked on the appropriate button, and left the room to multi-task IRL for a bit. When I came back, DIM was open and using .27. I had been gone long enough the popup to approve the changes had dismissed itself.

Now DIM remains using .27 with no attempt to update.

Any ideas on fixing that, short of uninstalling and doing a clean install from a newly downloaded copy of the latest version…?

Post edited by L'Adair on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,826
    edited October 2019

nevermind misread

i better check what versions I have myself 

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • L'Adair said:

I have DIM installed on two computers. This computer is Win7Pro 64-bit with DIM installed to the default location. I don't use this computer for DS except ocassionally checking things in older versions of DS to answer questions in the forums. I use DIM from here to download backups of my purchases. The update to 1.2.0.52 went smoothly. No issues at all.

The other computer is The Beast, the computer I use exclusively for 3D and other graphics, mostly in support of my 3D hobby. The Beast is running Win10Pro 64-bit with DIM installed to the default location. When I opened DIM last night, I was prompted to download and install the .52 update. I clicked on the appropriate button, and left the room to multi-task IRL for a bit. When I came back, DIM was open and using .27. I had been gone long enough the popup to approve the changes had dismissed itself.

Any ideas on fixing that, short of uninstalling and doing a clean install from a newly downloaded copy of the latest version…?

Hold Ctrl and click refresh button to force a version check. If that doesn't do the trick, hold Alt and click refresh to force a re-download/re-install.

edited October 2019
    L'Adair said:

...interesting.  It gives me no choice but to update.  

After I click to sign in, it immediatly launches the update process, otherwise I would have remained with an older version that was working just fine for my needs.

• Installed the new update to dim and it is working for me win 7pro 64bit

• kyoto kid said:
    L'Adair said:

...interesting.  It gives me no choice but to update.  

After I click to sign in, it immediatly launches the update process, otherwise I would have remained with an older version that was working just fine for my needs.

You can use an older version offline - you just can't use one on line. That allows Daz update (or fix) things relating to the ways information and data are handled without being locked to the previous protocols.

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    L'Adair said:

Hold Ctrl and click refresh button to force a version check. If that doesn't do the trick, hold Alt and click refresh to force a re-download/re-install.

The first suggestion worked. Thank you, Doc.

edited October 2019

another one? I only just did it

seriously

did it roll itself back?

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • another one? I only just did it

seriously

did it roll itself back?

1.2.0.52 is the latest one, which was issued a day after 1.2.0.51 due to a special character used for login credentials.

seriously

did it roll itself back?

1.2.0.52 is the latest one, which was issued a day after 1.2.0.51 due to a special character used for login credentials.

yes

seriously

did it roll itself back?

...don't scare me like that. Had to check my version and see I already have 1.2.0.52.

edited October 2019

..oy had  bunch of download failures tonight.  I've been running DLs at late (early AM?) hours to avoid the heavy traffic loads on the Daz servers but seems to be to no avail..

Crikey one product took three tries to finally get it to download.

• Okay, something is screwy.  Just opened up DIM and is shows I only have one item, installed and everything else "Ready to Download".  Have version 1.2.0.52 64 bit installed.  Any ideas what happened?

• Okay, something is screwy.  Just opened up DIM and is shows I only have one item, installed and everything else "Ready to Download".  Have version 1.2.0.52 64 bit installed.  Any ideas what happened?

Check your Manifest Archive folder and see if there are any files in there.

Click Settings - Installation in DIM, make a note of the path and open it in Windows Explorer.

Check your Manifest Archive folder and see if there are any files in there.

Click Settings - Installation in DIM, make a note of the path and open it in Windows Explorer.

There is only 1 file in the folder.  I guess the last update deleted all of the other files.

• Updates don't delete files. Perhaps they are in a different location. Do a search for e.g. IM00042071-01_Genesis8FemaleStarterEssentials.dsx (assuming you have it installed). If you do, then there might be 2:

1 in the Manifest Archive folder, and one in the package Downloads folder.

edited October 2019

...this is getting ridiculous tonight. I can barely download one item through the DIM without a download failed error.

This is an excerpt from the log file on a single product where this kept happening:

WARNING: Network Error while downloading to file "C:/Users/Public/Documents/DAZ 3D/InstallManager/Downloads/IM00034737-01_ArtNouveauBathroomDS.zip.{7c937cef-f168-ac41-9620-70a6876c0362}.part": Connection closed.

Apparently since the update it has been downloading the files back to to: C:/Users/Public/Documents/DAZ 3D/InstallManager/Downloads.instead of D:/install Manager DL files where these files are supposed to go so it seems the path for where I usually direct the download files to has been changed and is clogging up my smaller C:Drive (which explains the sluggish system performance I have been experiencing in general as of late).

Now I'm having to wait for about 30 min to transfer 73 GB of data to where it's supposed to be and then have to figure out with the new settings pane where to fix this path.

Updates should not change or delete preference settings.

ETA

Found out how to change where the Manifest archive was, transferred all the files out of the one in C:/Users/Public/Documents/DAZ 3D/InstallManager/Downloads to the correct folder on the D: drive opened the DIM to find the following: 

The  files that were in the ready to download  tab were deleted (as I expected).

however...

These did not appear back in the ready to download tab (and a content update was gone even though it appears in the folder on the D drive) but appeared in the Installed tab even though they were not installed (I opened the Daz programme to verify this). Furthermore, everything else, including content I installed months ago no longer had any location data in the Installed tab.  which I found disconcerting.  I uninstalled the items that I downloaded tonight from the Ready to Install tab to move them back into the Ready to Download tab. 

When I tried to download them again I still kept getting Download Failed errors that kept occurring every foew moments.  When I checked the DIM log file again I found this:

Temporary download file for product 37123-1, "Private Eye Office" already exists: C:/Users/Public/Documents/DAZ 3D/InstallManager/Downloads.

The trick is there is nothing that was in that folder anymore as I directed the DIM to use the Downloads folder on D: after I transferred all the files over that were in that location.  So something in the DIM still thinks the file is still in C:/Users/Public/Documents/DAZ 3D/InstallManager/Downloads when it isn't.and there is no way I can purge this information from whatever buffer it is in (shutting the install Manager down and restarting it doesn't clear this either). For some reason it seems fixated on everything going on the C: drive even when paths are changed and saved in the settings tab..  

• kyoto kid said:
    Updates should not change or delete preference settings.

I've never had an update changing my settings. You can change the path in Settings - Downloads.

...I know, but it has been happening to me with the last two updates of the Install Manager

see my amended post above.

• kyoto kid said:

...I know, but it has been happening to me with the last two updates of the Install Manager

see my amended post above.

Are you using any kind of system clean-up tool (CCleaner or the like)?

edited October 2019

...I have been using CClener for years and years without a hitch. I only have the free version that has to be run manually so there is nothing happening in the background when I have it closed.

Anyway, after about three and a half hours last night into early this morning, I finally think I figured what was going on as I found another operations file that was misplaced. Once I put that where it should have been teh JSON manifest file on my desktop disappeared.  I restored the path for the manifest backup and found where I could change the downloads target to the downloads folder ion D: and everything seem to have returned to normal (so far)  The missing files reappeared in the Ready to Download tab (including the one update) and the Installed Tab was again showing the download locations and file sizes of everything installed.  The new tool UI is really confusing compared to older versions.

I really don't want to go through all of this again with the next update when it occurs. I wish we could have a choice of whether we wanted to update or not as the old version (three updates ago) worked perfectly fine and had no conflicts with other software.

I used to get paid for debugging/testing software and gave that up decades ago.  Crikey that three and a half hours would have netted me something like 80$.

edited November 2019

....after spending all those hours of frustration and head banging the other night to track causes of the downlaod failures, the last couple days have been running smooth...that...until tonight. I checked all my settings and nothing has changed so now in the dark again why this rubbish is occurring.  The log file gives me no clear indication just mentioning a "Network Error" even though I am connected to the Net and the connection is solid (hardwired connection) as I have full access to other sites. I as still about 90 minutes from 00:00 "Daz Time" so it shouldn't be because of Net traffic or changes being made to store offerings.

I also do not have download limits/caps wither (which is why I am paying so much for my Net service).

I have also never seen this happen until the last couple months.

Marble posted about having similar issues even though he has more than enough drive space and has a similar setup like I have where the main Daz programme is on C: but the content Library is on a different larger drive.

• kyoto kid said:

....after spending all those hours of frustration and head banging the other night to track causes of the downlaod failures, the last couple days have been running smooth...that...until tonight. I checked all my settings and nothing has changed so now in the dark again why this rubbish is occurring.  The log file gives me no clear indication just mentioning a "Network Error" even though I am connected to the Net and the connection is solid (hardwired connection) as I have full access to other sites. I as still about 90 minutes from 00:00 "Daz Time" so it shouldn't be because of Net traffic or changes being made to store offerings.

I also do not have download limits/caps wither (which is why I am paying so much for my Net service).

I have also never seen this happen until the last couple months.

Marble posted about having similar issues even though he has more than enough drive space and has a similar setup like I have where the main Daz programme is on C: but the content Library is on a different larger drive.

As I said in response to your other post (please don't multi-post the same thing) - connection speed is not the only potential network issue, and the speed/strength of your connection to your ISP says nothing about the route from the access point to any specific site on the net.

edited November 2019

..again never had an issue with this (even during the time I was downloading thousands of items when I installed the new drive after the crash I had) until the last couple months roughly around when the update before the most recent one was issued.