Why Centaurs?

Comments

• Noah LGPNoah LGP Posts: 2,557
    edited October 2019

donalddade said:

Can someone demystify this for me? Why are centaurs apparently a thing in Daz Studio? I mean, it seems a strange and awfully specific niche... why are centaurs so numerous and not unicorns, a pegasus, satyrs, or any other mythical beasts?

Because Satyr (human + leg morph and horn), pegasus (horse + wings) and unicorn (horse + horn) are easier to do by yourself than centaur (human body + horse body)

Just Satyr is :

And these products already exist :

Post edited by Noah LGP on
  • carrie58carrie58 Posts: 3,951
    edited October 2019

I remember it took years of begging and whineing and groveling to finally get the geografted centaurs and I am grateful!!

Post edited by carrie58 on
  • WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,740
    Redfern said:

unicorns are still the most popular

especially using virgins to bait them

Hmm, have they become masters in their baiting skills? wink

Sincerely,

Bill

LOL! laugh

edited October 2019

Of course gorgonians and harpies are not popular at all.

• JonnyRayJonnyRay Posts: 1,744
    Noah LGP said:

I beg to differ. wink

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,888

I've thought of doing a harpy but man, making and rigging wings scare me.

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,165
    Noah LGP said:

I don't have any empirical evidence for this, but I can confidently state that a lot fewer people want to bang snakes and birds than horses.

• RedfernRedfern Posts: 1,582
    Gordig said:
    Noah LGP said:

I don't have any empirical evidence for this, but I can confidently state that a lot fewer people want to bang snakes and birds than horses.

Meh, "fewer", I won't argue, but that doesn't necessarily mean "none".  I dare you to visit some of the chan boards or e621 with a side helping of Fur Affinity and you'll discover there exist a sizeable number whose, ah, "interests" lean in that direction.

Me, I prefer bog standard "cat girls".  Ears, a tail, a cute lil muzzle with a nose pad and a plush pelt and I'm happy.  Digitigrade paws and claws are a nice "plus", of course!heart

Sincerely,

Bill

• unicorns are still the most popular

Only in the under 5 crowd.

JonnyRay said:
    Noah LGP said:

I beg to differ. wink

Luckily RawArt provide a large variety of creatures

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929
    RawArt said:

soon

Awesome, I've been waiting for a Pan before considering buying the other weird Greek Mythology characters. 

edited October 2019

Just you guys wait, I'm working on a hecatoncheires!

(not really. ;)

Post edited by Oso3D on
  • Some of these posts are getting a trifle risque - please dial it back.

edited October 2019
    Oso3D said:

(not really. ;)

I can't wait for this Genesis 8 figure cheeky

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    Oso3D said:

(not really. ;)

That could be handy

• NotAnArtistNotAnArtist Posts: 367
    edited October 2019
    Hylas said:

^ Centaurs are actually neither horse nor human, but evolved insects. Six limbs.

Yipes!  I'd better keep an eye on my avatar! Six-limbed dragons I can deal with, but insects bug me... wink

Post edited by NotAnArtist on
  • Noah LGP said:
    Oso3D said:

(not really. ;)

I'd need another monitor just for the expressions dials!

Noah LGP said:

I can't wait for this Genesis 8 figure cheeky

• Matt_CastleMatt_Castle Posts: 2,344
    Gordig said:
    Noah LGP said:

Depends on your take on it. The snake tailed gorgon is, I believe, originally associated with Ray Harryhausen's take on them in Clash of the Titans; In classical mythology, Medusa was often actually winged. In some later classical versions of the myth, she was actually said to be exceptionally beautiful, but cursed by a jealous Athena.

I personally chose RawArt's Lekkulion morphs as the basis of gorgons in my setting; something that looks like it could once have been human, but not that weird.

(Also I'd add that even if gorgons aren't necessarily attractive themselves, their petrification can play into various "distress" fantasies).

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,173
    edited October 2019
    Chohole said:
    Oso3D said:

(not really. ;)

That could be handy

Unlike the creature with the swords & mace in the image above, who is just a bit heady. 

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • rrwardrrward Posts: 556
    Oso3D said:

Yes, please.

• ButchButch Posts: 797
    McGyver said:
    nemesis10 said:

Can someone demystify this for me? Why are centaurs apparently a thing in Daz Studio? I mean, it seems a strange and awfully specific niche... why are centaurs so numerous and not unicorns, a pegasus, satyrs, or any other mythical beasts?

This is not a question I have seen before, but in short, look at the atributes that centaurs have that the other examples don't have.  A centaur is both a creatute and a person.... Centaurs marry the grace of beauty of horses with the human form.  A pegasus is just a horse with wings, a unicorn is just a horse with a horn... A satyr is a bit too much like a malformed person...    A centaur has all the alure of classical art and history, the power, beauty and grace of horses, and you get to use an attractive human character...

I always thought it had more to do with weird equestrian fantasies and the anatomical accessories... do the Centaurs even have pro bundle bits?

They never wear pants... you think that would be a glaring omission.

Yes, can buy their bits over there.

I was joking, of course, but now I'm ... actually thinking of how one might pull it off. Mmmm.

Because I'm allergic to sales, apparently.

• RawArt said:

soon

Oh Gods yeah!!

I don't use myth beasties in my work often, but, lacking more goat themed ones (there's that lovely Genesis one, but he's a little cartoony) the G2 minotaur gets used most.

I'm kind of hoping pantomime horse come back in fashion as well.

• ghastlycomicghastlycomic Posts: 2,528

Personally, Id rather be a Motaur.

motaur.png
    1320 x 660 - 331K
  • HavosHavos Posts: 5,306

unicorns are still the most popular

Only in the under 5 crowd.

Unicorns have appeared a lot in UK political cartoons during the whole Brexit debacle of the last 3 years. They represent “unrealistic expectations”.

These are all drawings though, not sure I have ever seen a 3D render for a political cartoon. I guess the extreme faces, expressions etc needed doesn’t make 3D suitable.

• cherpenbeckcherpenbeck Posts: 1,409

All these Satyrs have too big hooves. They aren't descendants of horses and cows. Look at the goats. Look how small their hooves are, compared to their bodies and strong legs. Goats perfer living in mountains, where there is no space on steep mountein sides for big hooves. I would really like to get a Satyr or Fawn with realistical small hooves.

• RawArtRawArt Posts: 5,754
    edited October 2019

It is always funny when peopletalk about reality when dealing with fantasy creatures.

There is no absolute fact from which to draw the design of such characters from, so everything is up to the eye of the artist and what they choose to accept as the most logic premise for the design. Goats hooves are small because they are not very heavy (when you break it down by weight per foot), and they evolved for rocky terrain. But if you were to put such a tiny hoof on someone of human size and weight, then the first patch of wet or muddy ground, they would immediately sink to their knees and get stuck. So it would limit believable renders to only be done on rocky ground. Making it less usable.

Also from a rendeing point of view, if hooves are small it will easily get lost and not read like a hoof and people would wonder why someone is standing on their toes all the time. So for good rendering of fantasy creatures some exaggeration is important.

Post edited by RawArt on
  • RawArt said:

It is always funny when peopletalk about reality when dealing with fantasy creatures.

There is no absolute fact from which to draw the design of such characters from, so everything is up to the eye of the artist and what they choose to accept as the most logic premise for the design. Goats hooves are small because they are not very heavy (when you break it down by weight per foot), and they evolved for rocky terrain. But if you were to put such a tiny hoof on someone of human size and weight, then the first patch of wet or muddy ground, they would immediately sink to their knees and get stuck. So it would limit believable renders to only be done on rocky ground. Making it less usable.

Must not say anythign about high heels on armour. Must not say anything about high heels on armour. Must not ... oh, High heels on armour!

(of course this would be worse - at least with high heels the toe portion can bear weight.)

RawArt said:

Also from a rendeing point of view, if hooves are small it will easily get lost and not read like a hoof and people would wonder why someone is standing on their toes all the time. So for good rendering of fantasy creatures some exaggeration is important.

• AsariAsari Posts: 703

Must not say anythign about high heels on armour. Must not say anything about high heels on armour. Must not ... oh, High heels on armour!

I thought of high heels as well ... and not only armor, high heels on all outfits where the promo images are rendered in outdoor environments, usually forest or woodland or meadow environments give me the same feeling.
  • nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929

LOL, reminds me that my mom's high heels used to fascinate me & my sister as little kids. Even then we could see something was really funny about being a half foot taller than what you really were. For us it was like a free trip on a carnival ride, especially when we put on dad's glasses to make us seem another 10 feet taller than we actually were. One of my older brothers threw one of those high heels at me when I was being mean once and I barely escaped! The heel left a big hole in the door where it hit! Those doors were cheap, the kind of doors that firemen knocking down doors would love.