Show Us Your Bryce Renders Part 11

Comments

• adbcadbc Posts: 3,115
    edited June 2021

Angel in the clouds.
    2 terrains, a volumetric cloud, a cone for the light beam, the angel is a 2D figure from klipartz.

angel in the clouds.jpg
    960 x 640 - 74K
    Post edited by adbc on
  • mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,246

Wow Adbc so cute, beautiful render, the rays look awesome

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,365

adbc - the cute 2D angel is superbly integrated in your 3D scene with a great terrain and beautiful sky and sun rays. One could argue that how the angel is lit does not fit with the sun's position. But angels are bright from the inside, a well known fact laugh

mermaid : thank you.

Horo : thank you. The angel is lit with a radial light, the visible sun is really a sphere with a glowing material. Rendered at 4 RPP took almost 3 hours.

edited June 2021

I was not really satisfied with the first version, I slightly changed the lighting on the angel and made it a fill light, the render did not even take that long any more.

The second render was just fun to make, the figure is genesis and a cat, added a sphere with rain material. Cats don' t like rain.

angel in the clouds 2.jpg
    800 x 533 - 59K
    cats don't like rain.jpg
    800 x 450 - 43K
    Post edited by adbc on
    edited June 2021

adbc - it looks even better, the angel is not so harsh lit as before. The second one with the lady and the cat looks also great.

An experiment after an idea by David Brinnen in August 2005. No light sources, sky, Ambient and Sky Dome black, lighting exclusively by Fog and Haze, both pitch black, blended with the sun, which is disabled and invisible. None the less, the statue gets visible and can be coloured by the sun colour, sun position and Color Perspective of the black Haze. Renders fast.

Unlit Statue

The fully reflecting Thai Statue is from the Stanford 3D Scanning Repository, in the background two mirrors, rendered with DOF.

Unlit Statues
    Here, the fully reflecting Thai Statue is once instanced (works, memory usage stayed at 970 MB). In the background a dark mirror (10% reflection) making the reflections look rather like shadows.

UnlitStatue.jpg
    900 x 1200 - 143K
    UnlitStatues.jpg
    1200 x 1080 - 150K
    Post edited by Horo on

Horo : thank you.

Interesting experiment with an awesome unexpected result.

Thank you adbc, I will experiment more with this surprising option.

Adbc- the re-render of the angel looks much better, the 2nd one is awesome, I love how you put it all together, well done.

Horo - superb work, very interesting experiment, with awesome results.

Thank you mermaid.

mermaid : thank you.

edited June 2021

I experimented with the method Horo mentioned above, not very successful, I need to play some more but I think I got the overall idea of this method.

playing-haze-fog.jpg
    600 x 600 - 143K
    Post edited by mermaid010 on

mermaid - cool. I just finished and uploaded a 4 page pdf tutorial on my site. It may give you some additional hints and ideas. (Bryce & 3D CG Documents > Mine > Light > Lightless Bright).

• papayapapaya Posts: 27

adbc - really nice renders, the one with the cat is very sweet

Horo - that's a really cool effect! I had a read of the pdf you put together on it, but couldn't quite get anything I was satisfied with after a bit of experimenting, though it was fun to mess with, I'll have to have another go. It also opened up my eyes even further to just how intricate you can get with every single aspect of bryce - an absolutely fascinating effect from a somewhat unintuitive method.

mermaid - I really do like how this looks, the fading purple is lovely.

quick gif I made trying to understand how animating in Bryce works. Nothing too fancy, just thought having some metaballs dance around could look fun, and I think I was right. You can tell I was trying to make the scene loop but didn't realise until after the rendering finished that the clouds were moving..

papatulus - thanks. Those animated metaballs look like some alien water being. Bad luck with the clouds in the loop. There are so many things we only notice after everything is done.

mermaid : your experiment looks really good, beautiful colour.

papatulus : thank you. Your animation is cool and mesmerizing.

Horo : thanks for the tutorial. 

Horo - thanks for the comment and the pdf, I was wondering if there was one on your site, will play some more after downloading it.

Papatulus - I really like the animated metaball very cool. Thanks for your comment.

Adbc - thanks for your comment

edited July 2021

My first test "Lightless bright". The object I used is a magic portal from Sketchfab.

lightless bright test 7.jpg
    800 x 600 - 54K
    Post edited by adbc on

Wow that came out very nice,Adbc, excellent work

edited July 2021

adbc - the Sketchfab object looks great. Glad to see you experimenting.

Not mentioned in the document above, I tried an indoor scene, here the Sibonik church. Nothing special but I made an interesting observation. The setting of Maximum Ray Depth (MRD) in the Render Options makes a big difference because there are many reflecting surfaces that reflect reflecting surfaces and this reflection is repeated as set with MRD. Default MRD is 6. Now the preview in the main GUI shows the render with MRD 3 but the preview in the Sky Lab with MRD 6. I wanted only 2 and thus the preview in the Sky Lab was no help to adjust sun, haze and fog. The ground is covered by the ground plane with a lower reflection setting.

MRD-236

Note how the result changes with the MRD setting. Though the 3 examples (click on image to enlarge) rendered within 20 seconds.

MRD-236.jpg
    1200 x 533 - 158K
    Post edited by Horo on

mermaid, Horo : thank you.

Horo : fantastic result on the indoor scene.

Horo - amazing results, thanks for sharing your experiments with us.

Thank you adbc and mermaid.

edited July 2021

Both objects were generated by Incendia_NEXT, converted to 3D objects in Geometrica, cleaned up in MeshLab and smoothed in Bryce quite a while ago. They are reflecting and with the camera within a transparent and reflecting sphere. Again with the "Unlit Bright" method. The blueish colour by the sun, the others by the WpH08_SC HDRI from Hypertextures Base.

Dini and Rings

DiniAndRings.jpg
    1200 x 840 - 169K
    Post edited by Horo on
    edited July 2021

Horo- beautiful work. This method is addictive too like abstracts.

Here’s two more from me, and others here https://www.pinterest.com/maryole3/still-life-bryce-3d/ for those interested. I like the dreamy effect achieved (in the 1st one) when playing with the haze setting.

haze-fog3.jpg
    600 x 600 - 157K
    haze-fog4-wings3d1m21.jpg
    600 x 600 - 153K
    Post edited by mermaid010 on

mermaid - thank you (your idea to make me look at Incendia). Indeed, it is addictive. Though it can take quite some time to get the result you're after or amazes you, rendering is done in seconds, a few minutes at most. Two interesting examples, the dreamy one and also the Funky Object. Great that the outside and inside look different. On Pinterest, The Floating Taj Mahal is a very cool idea, very nice indeed.

Horo : awesome object, the coloured effect is very beautifully done.

mermaid : two different images, both with awesome effects and yes the Taj Mahal is cool.

Thank you adbc. As mermaid mentioned, it is very addictive.

Thanks Horo, I agree although it takes a while to setup, the image renders quickly. Now to try some terrain ones.

Adbc - thanks

edited July 2021

An old object made with mandelbulb, with the lightless method.

fantasy creature.jpg
    800 x 600 - 49K
    Post edited by adbc on
This discussion has been closed.