Show Us Your Bryce Renders Part 11

Comments

• Dan WhitesideDan Whiteside Posts: 497
    edited March 2020

Slepalex - another beautiful scene. Really like the colors.

Horo - three very dramatic scenes using a interesting technique. Really like the nebula.

Here’s one from me ”Run Away!”.

A bit of a cliché homage to Godzilla flicks.

A bunch of DAZ3D content including Stonemason’s Urban Future prop.

Illuminated by the Bryce Sun and Use Sky IBL. Rendered at 64 RPP, about 4.5 hours to render. As always thanks for taking a look.

Bryce Gallery: https://postimg.cc/gallery/10dulcbue/

Voyager 4 Gallery: https://postimg.cc/gallery/16xw3g6au/

run_away.jpg
    1500 x 1000 - 422K
    Post edited by Dan Whiteside on
  • HoroHoro Posts: 10,128
    edited March 2020

Dan - thank you. What a cool render. Wait until the dino bites into the cable. It will be immediately (?) electrocuted.

Two terrains derived from a cloudy sky, self made materials and only lit by the PlainePorte HDRI. The HDRI sun is visible in front but the main light comes from the left: the sun lit glacier. The clouds are Stratus with a self made texture.

Ice Blocks

IceBlocks.jpg
    1200 x 795 - 143K
    Post edited by Horo on
  • HansmarHansmar Posts: 2,757

Dan: Great scene. The girl was not very alert, to start running now, because the military are already very much in place. But I hope she'll escape.

Horo: Another nice one. Still need to try your techniques, but it looks ver succesful

• adbcadbc Posts: 3,103

Dan : excellent scene, hope the girl escapes.

Horo : another amazing render, the snow and the clouds are very realistic.

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,003

Wow Horo two amazing landscape, great lighting in both

Dan - great scene, I also hope the girl escapes

Hansmar - thank you. Creating the terrains was relatively easy, how to use them I find more difficult.

adbc and mermaid - thank you.

• Tim82Tim82 Posts: 858

@Horo, the cloud terrains are looking great :)

Thank you Tim82.

edited March 2020

Two terrains derived from a cloudy sky with materials from the Gritstone Hills set; ambient light and clouds from the Sky Toolbox and the key light by the sun.

Hills and Meadow

HillsAndMeadow.jpg
    1200 x 750 - 262K
    Post edited by Horo on

Wow Horo another amazing landscape love it

Horo: looks very good again. I will try your recommendations that you give with clouds (e.g. resizing, Gaussian blur) also with photo's from paintings. Specifically the Gaussian blur would be relevant, becaus my paintings otherwise tend to be too spike for landscapes.

Horo : wow, very good again, I like it too.

• Rieke77Rieke77 Posts: 618

@ Horo - your landscapes are awesome

@ Dan - what a great scene

• Horo, Hansmar, adbc, mermaid010 and Rieke77 - thanks for the comments!

Hero - very cool technique. Really like the Arctic image.

edited March 2020

mermaid, Hansmar, adbc, Rieke77 and Dan - thank you.

Here are the 10 cloud images I used (starting at page 18), from top left to bottom right in the order shown. These are the originals (a bit smaller than used laugh).

Cloud Images

Terrain derived from a cloudy sky (you guessed it, it's the last) with materials from the Grand Mountains set; ambient light and clouds from the Sky Toolbox and the key light by the sun. It makes quite a nice anaglyph.

Mad Rubble

Mad Rubble Anaglyph

CloudImg.jpg
    800 x 214 - 44K
    MadRubble.jpg
    1200 x 900 - 354K
    MadRubbleAna.jpg
    1200 x 900 - 521K
    Post edited by Horo on
    edited March 2020

Horo: nice to show the cloudy skies as well. And a nice terrain again.

I also made a terrain based on a sky. I used a terrain from David Brinnen, but modified it to get it the way I liked it. And a sky from Horo (HDRI enhanced sky). I decided to experiment with DOF as well.

cloudter1.jpg
    1754 x 875 - 947K
    Post edited by Hansmar on

Hansmar - thank you. I like your terrain and how the snow is distributed. DOF is quite discrete but visible.

Horo - another nice, usual landscape the anaglyph is awesome

Hansmar - nice experiments, materials and lighting work well together

@ Horo - the anaglyph is great in an very nice landscape

@ Hansmar - I like your experiment, very well done

Where can I find a tutorial for this theme "Terrain from a Sky"?

edited March 2020

Horo : again an excellent terrain and anaglyph.

Hansmar : A very good result, I like it.

I created a terrain from a sky image as well, the material is self created.

terrain cloud test15.jpg
    900 x 450 - 87K
    Post edited by adbc on

mermaid - thank you.

Rieke77 - thank you. I know of no tutorial about how to make a terrain from the sky. After Hansmar asked, I considered making one but there is not much to tell - it's rather try and error. See page 18 about 2/3 down for some rudimentary information. Generally speaking, you can use any picture (and - by the way, also textures made in the DTE). The main thing, I think, is to convert it to a 16-bit grey scale TIF image and import it into the Terrain Editor where it can also be further processed.

adbc - thank you. Your terrain came out quite nice and the material applied fits it superbly.

Adbc - beautiful work I agree the material is awesome

@ Horo - Thank you so much for your information. I will try it.

@ adbc - terrain and material looks very cool.

edited March 2020
    Horo said:

mermaid - thank you.

Rieke77 - thank you. I know of no tutorial about how to make a terrain from the sky. After Hansmar asked, I considered making one but there is not much to tell - it's rather try and error. See page 18 about 2/3 down for some rudimentary information. Generally speaking, you can use any picture (and - by the way, also textures made in the DTE). The main thing, I think, is to convert it to a 16-bit grey scale TIF image and import it into the Terrain Editor where it can also be further processed.

adbc - thank you. Your terrain came out quite nice and the material applied fits it superbly.

My version of Photoshop Elements does not tell me whether the greyscale is 16 bit. I just used greyscale and exported to BMP and that works as well. I did, of course, import it into the terrain editor and stretched the terrain quite a bit.

I also created a new one. Again from a sky. Added a freebie Cruisship and used a modified texture by David Brinnen and a sky by Horo as wel as the 'inclement weather' fog patches cube by Horo.

cloudcruise.jpg
    1754 x 875 - 1M
    Post edited by Hansmar on

Hansmar - looks quite nice - fog patches look great. Just to tell you: BMP is 24-bit, 8-bit each for red, green and blue. The TE makes a 8-bit grey scale picture from it. TIF and PNG can be grey scale, TIF up to 64-bit grey scale (geographers use those). Now 8-bit is not bad as such (I mean, I also started from 8/24 bit colour for my cloud terrains) but you will experience steps in the terrain and need a lot of smoothing to get them out. 8-bit gives 256 steps from bottom to top (black to white) while 16-bit give 65,536 steps and you hardly need smoothing. With the free GIMP, it can be done.

edited March 2020

Hello dear Bryce Friends,

Sky to Terrain is so interesting and here is my first quick test, but it is really not perfect.
    I created the sky with Bryce.

@ Hansmar - this looks beautiful, I like the fog.

Sky to Terrain1.jpg
    800 x 600 - 437K
    Post edited by Rieke77 on

Horo, mermaid, Rieke77, Hansmar : thank you.

Hansmar : great experiment, I like the fog patches.

Rieke77 : very nicely done.

Hansmar - I forget to mention that when you save your photo as BMP (8/24 bit), I have a free program I wrote sometime ago on my website. Only thing you have to do is to save the photo as TIF (no Compression, Interleave and PC (not Mac)): Bryce & 3D CG Documents > Programs > Terrain > TIFF4816. The result is a grey scale 16-bit TIF.

Rieke77 - that came out nice. Do experiment with the area to hight ratio (X+Z=area, Y=hight). Default is 4:1 but also try between 20:1 to 1:2. It changes the landscape profoundly.

@ adbc and Horo - thank you so much for your kind comments.

@ Horo - many thanks for the hint. I have tried it.
    It is unbelievable, I changed the ratio and the terrain looks so different.

Hansmar - great experiment, nice use of the fog patches.

Rieke77 - so cool, very nicely done.

This discussion has been closed.