Novica, Serene Night, & Invited Guest Contributors Tips & Product Reviews Pt 3

Comments

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,869
    edited December 1969

BTW, if you are posting and someone doesn't answer, keep in mind many of us are in a severe ice storm and they may be without power. My two 11 foot evergreens (the tall slim ones) are doubled over and I keep going out and knocking ice off them- at least 1/2" to an inch thick. Icycles about 4" long. Unreal for Pensacola. I expect to lose power due to downed tree limbs on power lines.

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,055
    edited January 2014

Invited Guest Contributor

I've had acute bronchitis for a while now, still not feeling up to par, but I wanted to do a quick review of a character I picked up during the 50+50 glitch for <$4.<br /> Deacon for Michael 5
    http://www.daz3d.com/deacon-for-michael-5

This character has probably been reviewed before. I barely remembered seeing it in the Store, and that's probably because the promos didn't really do the character justice. Not that mine are any better, but Deacon is a very interesting guy, IMO.
    First of all realize that I rarely use out-of-the-box textures without adding some SSS tweaks and Project Eyeris. I also used
    Add Some Veins
    http://www.daz3d.com/add-some-veins
    to well...add some veins. :)

Firstly although there are shaved head, buzz-cut, and painted hair textures (plus an odd "raccoon eyes" make up),the little circle beard is on every option. This bothered me at first but now I can't picture Deacon without it.
    I couldn't get long hair to look right on him so bald or short hair. :)
    Deacon is a Rogue. He can be a villain or a hero but he's still going to be roguish.
    I like Deacon. I hope you enjoy the sample renders.
    John

Deacon3.jpg
    920 x 1200 - 222K
    Deacon2.jpg
    920 x 1200 - 254K
    Deacon1.jpg
    920 x 1200 - 246K
    Post edited by TJohn on
    edited December 1969

BTW, my favorite is the one with the sword. :)

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,582
    edited December 1969

I like most of the GIS Series. I can't think if I have a favorite, because it all seems one piece... but perhaps GIS orion with the lounge and tables.

The problem with the set is the lack of furniture. You get a number of really awesome corridors but you only need so many.. And the environment can seem somewhat sterile without a more lived in feel. Making it white just adds to the hospital quality.

That is not a criticism, just a desperate need for some add-ons to give the place a less sterile Krypton quality.

Hah! Your guy needs to run lots faster to escape that spider. Does warrior hair have any movement morphs?

edited January 2014

tjohn said:
    BTW, my favorite is the one with the sword. :)

Nice one. =-) I see veins in the first one, and those look good. I can see why you like third, that backdrop really adds a lot of punch, but I have to say I like your black character- the second one the best. He looks good. =-)

One thing I like about Deacon is his teeth. Novica commented they look less dentury- and they do look grayer. I add those to renders sometimes. His eyes also are really nicely done. =-)

I hear you about your sickness. There is something going around. I had something which is still dragging on me- novices thanks or asking, but I think I'm throwing it off now.

Post edited by Serene Night on
    edited December 1969

Ah yes, I remember the denture comment. :) I like the third one too- and the veins look good. Hope you feel better tjohn! Glad you got in on the sale.

In my scene, the gal definitely got the "heads up" first that something was coming at them. I pictured that it came up behind the dude's back and he's a bit late off to the races. I didn't want them both running at the same speed. I'll have to remember to see about the Warrior Hair for movement, I didn't check because he wasn't going very fast and I was just focusing (bad pun) on DOF. In other words, lazy.

Can you believe it is STILL sleeting? (at 12:20am, now Wed) We have an INCH now of what appears to be snow on the ground- but it's 100% ICE. Wow. I can only remember a few times when I lived in Indianapolis that we had ice storms that started in the wee hours of the morning and the NEXT DAY it was still going in the wee hours of the morning into the third day!

And I called the ranch owner and she said the horses were being stupid. In and out of the huge run-in shelter- when it was really bad sleet, they got out in it. They might not have liked the pingy noise on the metal roof. I put all their haynets under the shelter so at least their food is nice and dry.

• SylvanSylvan Posts: 2,696
    edited January 2014

THE BUTTON ISSUE HAS BEEN ADDRESSED BY THE ARTIST
    Solutions to the bandit outfit hovering buttons

Finally, here's another review from me!
    It's the bandit outfit by SHIFTING IMAGES, which I adore, but there is a known bug with the buttons on the shoulders.
    Trying to file a bug report and I hope it will solve the issue as it is really a very awesome set.
    The thread and the bug can be found HERE

Now on to the good bits!
    First things first, here's the link to the product: Bandit Outfit for Genesis 2 Male(s)
    Personally, I have a weak spot for leather combined with metal (not in a tacky way).
    The body exists of two belts that are attached in the back with the upper body piece.
    There are lots of belts and they are really well made and placed with great care as are the long boots, which I have found to be very well behaving to morphs.
    A long shirt with lots of morphs is also included, together with some matching pauldrons and bracers.
    All items have metal parts such as eyelets and rings.

As my model Nick will demonstrate, the cloth fall quite naturally onto the model and there are a bunch of morphs to adjust it to your needs.
    Number of morphs I counted:
    23 shirt
    15 pants
    17 cuirass
    9 bracers
    15 boots
    5 pauldrons

This set has been educational for me, as I'd never heard of a cuirass before.
    According to Wiki, a cuirass is a piece of armour, formed of a single or multiple pieces of metal or other rigid material, which covers the front of the torso.
    Now that I broadened my vocabolary, let's have a closer look at the available textures and colors.

The set has 2 options, a royalty texture and a thug one.
    The royalty comes with 1 extra bootcolor and the thug shirt comes with a ripped version.
    I was a bit surprised at the floral choice of the royal shirt, it feels a bit out of place to me in contrast to the tough metal and leather look.
    But as in all things, this might be just a personal opinion.
    The artist made some nifty options right in the items' folder where you can easy access some one-click-morphs like 'tug pants in boots' and ' shirt over pants' aside some others.
    Most of these require some adjustments, depending on how much your character has been tweaked from the original M6 figure, but it takes away some fiddeling with the morph dials, so that is a plus.
    The pants look best with a high gloss to indicate it's a leather surface.
    The shirt looks too thin to be leather but still has the same kind of blotched texture as the pants, although it's blue.
    To me it looks like the shirt has a low resolution texture, although it's not the case of course, but I think the beautiful folded shirt looks much better with the royal texture.
    I am hoping there will be more texture sets in the future as it will add to the diversity of the set.

Conclusion is that it needs a little bit of tweaking here and there by the original artist (especially the buttons on the shoulders) but overall its a great and original looking set that's also great for kitbashing.

Items used in all renders:
    Michael 6 with Axel International M5 skin and the Micah hair.

nick2.png
    588 x 899 - 433K
    nick3.png
    359 x 876 - 293K
    bandit.jpg
    937 x 2000 - 812K
    nickyxxx.png
    937 x 2000 - 944K
    Post edited by Sylvan on
    edited December 1969

Nice job Estroyer! I admit, that is one outfit and hair I do not have for men. I like the full-length shots and Micah hair.. Agree about the floral print shirt. Hmm. =-)

• IndigoJansonIndigoJanson Posts: 1,100
    edited December 1969

I haven't bought anything new (as in new releases) in a while, but I'm enjoying seeing what the rest of you come up with.

Good to see the men enjoying another turn the spotlight over here. Deacon and Nick both look great! Love the versatility of that bandit outfit, Estroyer -- and Novica (just caught up with your last render). All those morphs! I agree, it looks ideal for kitbashing.

Now I know what a cuirass is too. Me three on the floral choice, but Nick doesn't look too worried about it.

I like what I've seen in this thread of Lady Worthington outfit also. Hope they escaped the spider....

I like the look of Deacon... a charming rogue, definitely! Very nice backgrounds to those too.

Sending you get well wishes, tjohn.... and stay warm Novica and everyone else. It's good to know those horses and cats have someone looking out for them.

edited December 1969

It's good to know about the button issue- that's the same outfit used in the spider render but I didn't use that piece of clothing so didn't have any issues. Did laugh at the floral print! Fabricator time! I do have to wonder how both the artist and quality control didn't realize such a big problem was occurring. This is no small "oopsie." It's very noticeable.

Hey, nothing wrong with liking leather and metal. It's like chocolate and peanut butter, or peanut butter and jelly! :) It's good to see the Micah Hair, I haven't used that yet. Very nice job and thorough writeup- thank you!

• SasjeSasje Posts: 835
    edited December 1969

With this one, I used:

- YDress For Genesis http://www.daz3d.com/clubwear-dresses/ydress-for-genesis
    - Epic Wings for Genesis http://www.daz3d.com/epic-wings
    - Sacrament http://www.daz3d.com/sacrament
    - Genesis 1

Little_Angel.jpg
    1111 x 1000 - 279K
    edited December 1969

Sasje said:

With this one, I used:

- YDress For Genesis http://www.daz3d.com/clubwear-dresses/ydress-for-genesis
    - Epic Wings for Genesis http://www.daz3d.com/epic-wings
    - Sacrament http://www.daz3d.com/sacrament
    - Genesis 1

Love that. Very sweet. :)
  • IndigoJansonIndigoJanson Posts: 1,100
    edited December 1969

It certainly is. Beautiful work, Sasje.

• KharmaKharma Posts: 3,214
    edited December 1969

Gorgeous sasje!

edited December 1969

Sasje- I've never used Epic Wings- do you actually attach them manually or are they parented to a particular figure?

edited December 1969

Novica said:
    Sasje- I've never used Epic Wings- do you actually attach them manually or are they parented to a particular figure?

Hi Novica :)
    The Epic wings are automatic parented to the figure even Genesis 2
    edited December 1969

Thank you tjohn, jindi and Kharma :)

edited December 1969

I am always impressed when people used godrays. That's a challenging visual to pull off. Nice One Sasje.

Can't say the stuff on sale this week are tickling my fancy. . Sexy+fantasy. Oh well, my credit card is relieved. =-)

edited December 1969

I like that they are offering poses, but they are not "have to haves" at 30% off. I have so many poses that I have good starting positions for almost anything I need. Some nice stuff for Platinum Club for $1.99

edited January 2014

I was slightly tempted by some of the Teen Jayden hair at 40% off since the original discount was only 30% But since they are daz originals I do know that they will be eventually on sale at even cheaper, and I don't need any of it at present.

I decided yesterday, that as much as I like original genesis, I just really prefer the genesis 2 bends and the sculpting of gen 2 male's arms and fingers. They are far less sausagey and club-like. If I buy poses they are going to be gen 2 and something more than just model/pinup.

I won't buy any more sexy female poses. I have far more than I need and will likely ever use.=-)

edited January 2014

Sorry, looks like there is a bug with the legacy shapes update for genesis 2 males. If you use this product, I'd write down your percentages of characters before running the update, or you might lose some of your stuff. This is the error I got:

Needless to say, I am a heavy user of this product, and have lost some of my custom characters. I guess I'll go file a report, :sad: but just a word of caution.

EDIT: Interesting. It appears the files exist in this directory, but the old saves aren't pulling them up. Don't know why. I guess I will wait to see what tech support has to say.

error.jpg
    851 x 571 - 117K
    edited December 1969

Congrats to the winners of the RRRR contest!!!!

Take a peek at our Invited Guest Contributor winners- no surprise!

Luci45: FIRST PLACE: A LOT of work went into doing this format, and so many neat renders:
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/33478/P15/#523243

KaribousBoutique: SECOND PLACE That poetry rocks! (And of course the renders!)
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/33478/P15/#516939

AND THIRD PLACE! http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/33478/#504292

Our friend Barbult rocked in FOURTH PLACE:
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/33478/P15/#519793

Ken Obanion, always the great sport to be in my SeaNautica story- tied for FIFTH PLACE
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/33478/P15/#515748

And newcomer Jindi (with Ken in my story, what a coincidence) also got FIFTH PLACE!
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/33478/#502050

Well deserved winners and so happy for all of you! :)

edited January 2014

Testing the cart with these sales (as usual.) If you get two of the new releases (I tested Steam Punk and Vintage Diving Gear) (EDIT: Took out the 14%, you have to buy 2 Year of the Horse, which I didn't) and $10 off the horse category, the Griffin Wings ($14.95) for the horse is TWENTY NINE CENTS. Or you could go for the Unicorn and get it free (it's $11.95) I'd go for the Griffin Wings as it's $3 more expensive and .29

That $10 off the horse category makes up for the 30% (but if you buy two new releases, it's 40%) and today only 20% off the horse category. Are you all confused?

And 50% off the stores, but add 14% to that. So 64%. (EDIT: IF you buy 2 year of the horse products.)
    Is marketing TRYING to make us insane?
    Just test things in the cart- but take a good look at getting two new releases if you want something in that horse category. I don't have the Griffin Wings for the horses or the Unicorn, going for the Griffin Wings.

Post edited by Novica on
  • SylvanSylvan Posts: 2,696
    edited December 1969

Great news!
    Shifting Images popped in and presented 3 possible ways to solve the issue:
    Bandit Outfit Button Issue
    I will update my own post as well.

edited December 1969

Excellent- now they need to go fix it and do a DIM update.

I edited my post- that 14% additional store discount is only if you buy TWO of the year of the horse products.

edited January 2014

The 50% off artists stores is not working. No discount. Wait awhile, this happens at the beginning. I need to test and see what this includes.

SereneNight- so sorry you lost characters in that update. I guess I'm not understanding (and remember I haven't used the product so am kinda DUH)- Aren't they saved though in your scenes?

Post edited by Novica on
    edited January 2014

Novica said:
    The 50% off artists stores is not working. No discount. Wait awhile, this happens all too often.

SereneNight- so sorry you lost characters in that update. I guess I'm not understanding (and remember I haven't used the product so am kinda DUH)- Aren't they saved though in your scenes?

The problem is they are morphs. So for some reason when I load the previous saved file with the character dialed the way I like it, it doesn't recognize some of the updated morphsI and leaves them at zero. So, when I open the character it looks androgynous. Because It couldn't find the old morphs it didn't apply them. The morphs are there though- I checked out the location and it appears right to me. Something has got to have changed.

I've never had it happen before. Usually morphs apply smoothly when you upgrade. So opening old character saves isn't a big deal.

Since I use those morphs rather heavily, its a big deal for me since I don't write down the percentages I use to create each character. I will do that before I upgrade from now on.

edited December 1969

I MIGHT be getting a better discount than I'm supposed to. It's confusing.
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/36427/

One thing- if you are seeing the popup that says get 45% off the glute control for Gen2, remember if you qualify from the other promos (buy 2 new releases, get additional 14% off entire store) than it also gets added to that 45%. It took it down to 7.55 in my cart.

15.95 full price x .55 (because .45 off) = 8.77 x .14 off is another 1.23 off = 7.54 (off by a penny)

That 14% off entire store is NOT working on new releases. I'm not finding anywhere that is says they aren't included. It says no returns.

Check out the thread I linked to and see if I am off base here. Wouldn't be the first time.

edited December 1969

Hope you're following that thread- because Jared was nice enough to tell us that I got that discount because there is a silent sale- Sickleyield is one of the vendors (the silent sale, not announced) and part of my product. So there is a 50% involved.

If you're confused about the sale (who isn't?) then check that thread.

edited December 1969

One item to take a look at if you're getting the stacked discounts (50% and 14%) is Old Cemetery
    http://www.daz3d.com/old-cemetery

This environment comprises a terrain with grass and ivy, two bare trees, 8 gravestones and a dark sky background (which is 180 degrees)
    It will be under $6 with the discount, and I think I will really like the ground plane. Will test as it's on sale.

This discussion has been closed.