Novica, Serene Night, & Invited Guest Contributors Tips & Product Reviews Pt 3

Comments

• starionwolfstarionwolf Posts: 3,666
    edited December 1969

Nice renders Luci45. Thanks for posting. I like how the skin looks. The muscles look realistic too.

It is 1:19 in the morning, what are you doing up so late? Wait, what am I doing up?? lol I'll talk to you tomorrow. G'night all

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited December 1969

Well, I'd say goodnight but I'm up off and on because the heating pad I have outside for the feral cat shuts off automatically every 2 hours and I will NOT let that poor cat go without heat at 11 degrees real feel. Yep here we go again, in Florida....seriously. SO headed to get a couple hours sleep.

Luci- I've wishlisted that- really like what you did with it- didn't realize he would come in so tall! My goodness. And I know SereneNight will be delighted when she plays with it because of that pesky brown on M6.

I have to share something funny- I am working on rendering stuff I already have, and wondered why on earth the render was taking so long. Well, I added a zero and instead of 900 pixels, that sucker was coming in at 9000 pixels!!!! So back to the drawing board. I should have something by morning hopefully.

edited January 2014

VH Bo Ann For Victoria 4 (Godin)
    http://www.daz3d.com/vh-bo-ann-for-victoria-4

Shane Hair (DAZ3D / Propschick)
    http://www.daz3d.com/shane-hair

The Destroyer For V4 (DAZ 3D / Val3dart)
    http://www.daz3d.com/the-destroyer-for-v4

Shane Hair was Fast Grab so I decided to explore it- and don't expect it to render quickly. Took a fair amount of time.
    The Destroyer is decidedly skimpwear, it barely has bottoms (think underwear.) I got it on drastic sale for kit bashing as the boots are good, the top is good, can also use the helmet. Also note-

This comes with a sword, crossbow, and shield. It will parent the sword to the hand- easy!

EDIT: Added a smoothing modifier to the Shane Hair. Using 12. Otherwise, the strands are a bit sharp where they bend. You will need to go to Scene and select Shane Hair, then to the small menu box and do Edit>Geometry>Add Smoothing Modifier.

Things to note about Bo Ann- turn down the specular if you don't like really glossy skin, and also put in a light blue there. This is
    211 / 237 / 237 I like her eyebrows- I do not care for thin, painted on eyebrows and hers seems quite natural.

Note about the Shane Hair- I did not find a way to increase the volume on the top of the head without increasing all of it. I do not care for the width of the hair. Wanted it to be more oval in shape. If you find it, let me know. I broke down the submenu in Parameters but may have just missed it somehow.

Do go view the original product and see where all the horns are. You can really use the helmet (mask) and top with many things as the horns can be eliminated.

destroyerShaneHairBoAnn.jpg
    595 x 739 - 261K
    Post edited by Novica on
    edited December 1969

Pensacola got sleet this morning and we're supposed to get some SNOW mixed in tonight! (see accuweather.com)

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,410
    edited December 1969

I saw my mother who is in southern Georgia had snow and is in the 30F's. ATM its 4F with a windchill of -13F here in northern Ohio. They are calling for 4-8 inches of snow tonight. Going to get much worse next week.

• StormlyghtStormlyght Posts: 666
    edited December 1969

Novica said:
    Pensacola got sleet this morning and we're supposed to get some SNOW mixed in tonight! (see accuweather.com)

Hi @Novica,

I feel your pain. The image I attached depicts the areas in Texas that had snow, freezing rain and sleet--even the coast wasn't spared. The white squigglies with black outlines are the areas impacted. Our temperatures after a supposed high of 35 today (My thermometer is hovering right at 32 F) are supposed to be back up to 68 by Sunday. It's been a strange winter everywhere. ;)

My family in the Midwest likes to point out that this isn't really a big deal--except it is. The South doesn't have the infrastructure in place for this kind of weather and all of the winter crops including citrus don't do very well either.

Trisha (Decided to change my moniker to "Trisha" instead of Trish #2 or the "Other Trish" not to be confused with the real Trish--@bullit35744 :) )

Image credit: Texas Department of Transportation (TXDOT)

Screen_Shot_2014-01-24_at_8.49_.17_AM_.png
    621 x 602 - 477K
    edited January 2014

Trish, if you go by Trish, just Trish-it if you want to. We can tell by your Avatar who you are :) Welcome to the thread btw.

I moved from Houston in 2004 (Coast Guard hubby, was XO of Air Station Houston when Allison hit, the CO was in Italy so my husband handled that entire mess when Houston got 25+ inches of rain and the city went under water) and we only had snow one time in the three years we were there. So I can definitely relate to the "What the heck is going on here???" I am assuming you are Houston? I was Humble/Kingwood area. I am originally Indianapolis, where is your family in the Midwest?

Frank, I'm a blank. What do you call folks from Ohio? I know it's the Buckeye state so it is Ohioan or just a Buckeye?

Funny story- My dad was always pulling my leg and when I was in first grade (you know, when you learn the state bird, state flower, etc) I asked him how we got to be called Hoosiers. He said because in the pioneer days, so many people traveled through our state and not all could be trusted, so when people knocked on the door the Indiana folks would always say, "Who's there?" and the name stuck. I believed him FOR YEARS.

What I am rather tickled at is the complete LACK of heads up regarding snow further east of the Mississippi Valley along the coast. No one hinted as of yesterday about this stuff moving this far over to the Panhandle. Another case of "oh, it happened, put it in the forecast." Look at the temperature change in our forecast too- totally agree this is whacko!

snowJan24.jpg
    618 x 729 - 91K
    Post edited by Novica on
  • frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,410
    edited December 1969

Most of the time we go by the Buckeye's. Political correctness says Ohioan

edited December 1969

well thank goodness for Hoosiers- Indianaian sounds terrible lol!

For those subscribed, The Destroyer/Shane Hair/VH Bo Ann render is up.
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/34269/P1020/#532193

I spent an hour and put together a hair tutorial for it also, put the mask/helmet on and showed how to paint the poke through. I'll have to go back through and see how many images it is, may need to make a separate Art Studio thread and just link it.

• StormlyghtStormlyght Posts: 666
    edited December 1969

Novica said:
    Trish, if you go by Trish, just Trish-it if you want to. We can tell by your Avatar who you are :) Welcome to the thread btw.

Thank you for the welcome! I enjoy this thread and have learned a lot. My buying decisions are now governed by the reviews, particularly if the PA item is a bit more on the expensive side, which in my world is more than $10.00. I think it's a wonderful service that you, the guest reviewers and Serene Night provide.

I moved from Houston in 2004 (Coast Guard hubby, was XO of Air Station Houston when Allison hit, the CO was in Italy so my husband handled that entire mess when Houston got 25+ inches of rain and the city went under water) and we only had snow one time in the three years we were there.

Wow! Small world! My former husband was stationed in Freeport (Coast Guard). I vividly remember Allison. We had just placed my daughter on a plane to Spain when the Tropical Storm Warning alert went out. The precipitation from that storm was unbelievable.

I am assuming you are Houston? I was Humble/Kingwood area. I am originally Indianapolis, where is your family in the Midwest?

I lived south of Houston about 35 miles near the coast before I decided to move inland. For now, my home is in South Central Texas about 90 minutes from Austin or Houston either way.

Most of my family still lives in Southwest Michigan near Kalamazoo.

Funny story- My dad was always pulling my leg and when I was in first grade (you know, when you learn the state bird, state flower, etc) I asked him how we got to be called Hoosiers. He said because in the pioneer days, so many people traveled through our state and not all could be trusted, so when people knocked on the door the Indiana folks would always say, "Who's there?" and the name stuck. I believed him FOR YEARS.

My sister and I would always giggle whenever we heard the term "Hoosiers"; we couldn't' understand why anyone would want to be called that. Looking back, I can't figure out why anyone would want to be called a Michigander. It sounds like a type of goose.;-P

What I am rather tickled at is the complete LACK of heads up regarding snow further east of the Mississippi Valley along the coast. No one hinted as of yesterday about this stuff moving this far over to the Panhandle. Another case of "oh, it happened, put it in the forecast." Look at the temperature change in our forecast too- totally agree this is whacko!

Agreed. One moment the forecast has us with an average of 40 degree weather for the week and then BAM, winter weather advisories, LOL!

Stay safe and warm!

Trish

edited December 1969

I didn't know that- Michiganders? You're right, sounds somewhat fowl. We could really start a thread about the states, couldn't we? Let's see, Tennessee people are called... Tennesseans, Big Benders, Volunteers. (I just looked it up because I was curious.)

Someone from the United Kingdom put together this list:
    http://geography-site.co.uk/pages/countries/demonyms_usa.html

Utah is Utahan, and Utahn??? Hmmm.

We're glad the thread is helpful, it's also expensive if you view it often enough :) I try to feature Platinum Club in addition to the New Releases. If you ever have a question about a product, ask us. Someone on the team is sure to have it or maybe even have rendered it previously. We're open to suggestions.

edited January 2014

For you folks that liked SereneNight's puzzles (finding what had changed) you'd go bonkers with this postwork before and after. I'll be discussing it but have to get off the computer for awhile as I have company coming next week (and I am running to the door every 10 minutes to see if it's snowing. Just started sleeting and temps are dropping.)

Hint: don't bother looking at anything other than the upraised arm, the hair, face that shows, and the helmet (which is the facial mask) I didn't do anything else as this was primarily for the hair. You could continue and mess with the hair, this gets you to a non-poke through state.

This was the hair that was Fast Grab yesterday. :)

destroyerSideBySide.jpg
    2000 x 1053 - 901K
    destroyer33FINAL.jpg
    1057 x 1001 - 427K
    DestroyerBoAnnShaneHairMy13LightsORIGnofix.jpg
    1075 x 1000 - 412K
    Post edited by Novica on
  • TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,019
    edited December 1969

Frank0314 said:
    Most of the time we go by the Buckeye's. Political correctness says Ohioan

Frank, I'm not getting why Buckeyes would be politically incorrect? The name comes from the state tree, right? Ohioan would definitely be more easily recognizable to out-of-staters so I could see why many would prefer it.
  • luci45luci45 Posts: 2,665
    edited December 1969

Thanks for nice comments on the Hero renders, He is a big guy!

I was not up late. I live on the west coast. No interesting weather here, except the drought continues. We don't get any rain in the summer and now that winter is here nothing either. I used to be a Michigander, or maybe a Michigosling. I don't know who came up with that one either. :cheese:

edited December 1969

You people from Michigan are cracking me up.
    The sleet and freezing rain went POOF. It all disappeared off the radar.

edited December 1969

That swimsuit and bonus pool are on sale again (at 60% off)
    Here is the link to Barbult's render of it, and you'll see the link to the product too.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/34269/P15/#507089

edited January 2014

Coming up- LY Karine, tested on Genesis 2 and not Olympia, Kione Hair. My gosh, the poses that come with that hair are wonderful. SO many. You heard correctly- the posed hair! Want it in front, there's a preset for you. Swinging to the right? Ta-dah. WONDERFUL hair.
    Will be several hours. Also, tested the Abby lights.

EDIT: My little 300 x 300 just rendered. This is going to be nice!

Post edited by Novica on
    edited December 1969

Kione Hair (AprilYSH)
    http://www.daz3d.com/kione-hair

LY Karine (Lyoness)
    http://www.daz3d.com/ly-karine

Kione Hair:
    NOTE: Presets for Victoria 4, Victoria 3, Aiko3 (+ Realistic), Stephanie Petite, Laura, and Maddie.
    WORKS LIKE A DREAM ON GENESIS 2
    Just use scale to get the hair a tad bit larger and the XYZ scales. The hair has easy handles to swing the hair off the chest and to the side. Highly recommend. See other products below to give you a wider variety of movement.

Do add a smoothing modifier as the bends in the hair are sharp. I set mine to 10 and it could easily have gone higher. I'd start with 15.

LY Karine
    LY Karine seems really shiny to me, so right away I dropped the Specular 2. The test render was a bit red, so I also changed the velvet from 255/184/142 to 255/237/219. I also raised the number on the glossiness so it would be more concentrated and not spread out all over the skin (that's the best way to explain it I think. Higher numbers don't make the entire area glow more. Correct me if I'm wrong.)

Karine has a lot of makeup options- a lot. Matte and glossy lips in many colors, dark makeup, light makeup, no makeup. Many eye colors. This render has the more purple-blue shade.

The smile is Josies Smile, Smile 2. I'd tweak it a bit more but it's fine just to show the hair.

Other notes will be added and I will post to tell you when I have added the pictures. Just wanted to give you the information in case any of you are looking to spend $50 and get the $10 off- the Kione Hair is really nice- and GREAT for underwater/windy renders. A lot of swing, side to side, floaty options- and colors. A couple other products to go with it.

http://www.daz3d.com/kione-color-and-movement
    http://www.daz3d.com/coloration-kione

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560
    edited December 1969

@ Novica: VH Bo Ann For Victoria 4 does indeed have nice eyebrows. I'm liking that. Also like Shane hair. What a pity it renders slow.

I like Ly Karine's facial shape. Quite neat.. I confess her skin is really shiny and didn't render that well for me. Will have to try your tips to see if I can tone that down. I don't tend to adjust skin settings too much beyond toning down the SSS and adding diffuse so that is a handy tip.

I did enjoy messing with Male-M3dia's new morphs. Having a blast with them. Here's a render. Really like the heads and bodies.

Just wish for some pants that work better on M6. Lots of crinkles in the groin when autofitting gen 5 clothing to m6. Not the model specific, just the tearing in the seams around the groin look bizarro. Smoothing not entirely dealing with it.

Also, not getting the veins to take. with every m6 model. Not sure why. They are at 100% but perhaps getting smoothed away. If anyone has any suggestions would love to hear it. Had this trouble with other models. I really love those HD veins.

gus8.jpg
    875 x 1000 - 278K
  • TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,019
    edited December 1969

I did enjoy messing with Male-M3dia's new morphs. Having a blast with them. Here's a render. Really like the heads and bodies.

Also, not getting the veins to take. with every m6 model. Not sure why. They are at 100% but perhaps getting smoothed away. If anyone has any suggestions would love to hear it. Had this trouble with other models. I really love those HD veins.

Oh, I'm afraid they're gonna crush those little white mice. :)
    I'm experiencing the HD veins thing too. I think the lighting may be a factor, but that's just a hunch.
    edited December 1969

tjohn said:
    Oh, I'm afraid they're gonna crush those little white mice. :)
    I'm experiencing the HD veins thing too. I think the lighting may be a factor, but that's just a hunch.

Tee hee! I figure you have to have escape lab animals at places like that. You have an eye for detail to see those.

LOL the vein thing iis weird. I have had some models where the veins show, others where they do not. I've even had some show and others not show- like hand veins show, no arm veins.

Big guys like these need veins so I'm going to test a few lights just to see. Weirdly enough the veins showed on one of the men initially. Then went away. Wondered if it was getting smoothed.

Loaded another character, added the veins in a new scene. Veins show. It is totally weird.

edited December 1969

SereneNight- wasn't there a slider somewhere regarding the HD details? You and someone were on a thread and I thought there was a specific one- or is there something separate for the HD in the bump/displacement in Surfaces? Your guys look good, but what you're saying is when you added a second dude with the same lighting, he had veins and the other one didn't? Funky.

Don't quote me on Karine yet, I've had to restart twice. With the transmaps or whatever it is that makes hair see through, it's impossible to tell where the crown is for the forehead, and since I'm fitting it to a different generation, I'm testing to see what should go where. It is still a very easy fit to Genesis 2, I just am not sure what the style is supposed to BE. I had some hair coming through the hairpiece (of course it was the huge 1200 pixel render that I started before I went to the barn) and I am having to start over.

Would recommend the Abby lights- but you'll need a spotlight from directly above but only back behind the character a TAD- and another one coming from either side. Will discuss more IF this render comes in okay. I took out the smile, didnt like it.

edited December 1969

I'm getting a cold so my powers of observation are a touch less than usual. But when I first created the guys I thought they veins showed. The veins are morphs you apply to specific parts via dial. Then at some point they went away and did not show, although at one point I saw them on one of the guy's hands. I've had this happen with other characters before. When I close this file and load a new guy and dial up the veins they show in the new character with basic daz lighting. So I went back to this file and removed all but basic daz lighting. veins just don't show. I don't know why or what triggers it. In figures where they disappear, they tend to be gone for good. I wonder if it is a morph conflict, lighting or smoothing of some sort. I had this happen with a figure I bought for gen 5. Smoothing seemed to cause the person's morphed brow ridge to disappear, even though he was an aquatic sort of critter. Not sure if this is the same thing.

edited January 2014

Kione Hair (AprilYSH)
    http://www.daz3d.com/kione-hair

LY Karine (Lyoness)

Go back a few posts for the commentary. Added notes: the arm and hand seemed redder than the face and shoulders, all my lights were the same so don't know what caused it. I added a light blue spotlight on her arm/hand to counterbalance it. Just watch for that and see if it happens with you.

TIP: When you are dealing with very straight hair, if you put a finger through it deliberately (like I did) then make sure you postwork and curve the hair around the bottom of the joint. The hair will come straight down and give it a guillotine effect if you don't- like the finger has been cut off. I had to do some postwork to get the hair over the forehead piece. A bit tricky.

Click to enlarge and click again, I did a big one for you.

EDIT: Remember, this character is for Olympia and shown on Genesis 2 female, not Olympia.
    The smoothing was added for the hair and I had to up it to 15 to even make a dent in the hair bends. Still could use more.

LYKarineGen2KioneHairSIG.jpg
    950 x 950 - 524K
    Post edited by Novica on
    edited January 2014

LY Karine (Lyoness)

Hawthorne Hair For Genesis And Genesis 2 Females (DAZ3D / Goldtassel
    http://www.daz3d.com/hawthorn-hair-for-genesis-and-genesis-2-females

This is Karine on Olympia HD. Glossy was 81, Specular 2 around 30 originally and turned to 9.0, to a blue gray 149/159/165. Might want to change that to a very dull peach/mauve. Velvet is a biggie- it was 25 and I turned it up to 40.6 and 209 / 183 / 131 which is hard to describe. It's rather like a brown/peach/mauve all together. Nice and neutral.

EDIT: NO SMOOTHING ON THE HAIR. I clicked to turn it on but apparently it didn't. So you can see the out of the box with the sharp corners. Interesting to note- while the hair has smoothing, it is on 0. So tweak!

Also, when you are going to the morphs for the hair, consider going to HAIR>FINE IN FACE> and removing it. It does not render well IMO, is rather sporadic with bits of the strand missing and a bit crumbly (and that was at a shading rate of .30) You can slide it to the side. I lowered the hairline too on the forehead, I think it looks better.

I AM NOT GOING TO POSTWORK SO YOU CAN SEE THE BENDS OF THE HAIR.

This is a different light setup than the Karine on Genesis 2. When I tested the Hawthorne Hair the studio froze and stopped working and all the settings for that light set and the character Surfaces tweaking went poof. I put the lights in approximately the same location but the surfaces and lights are not the same.

Again, this is the Abby setup, it does use UE2 and I lowered that intensity by about 8 and reduced the other settings by 5-10 also because I added spotlights (one on the side shooting a bit up, and one above and slightly behind her, in the center.) It is a very good UE2 setup. I would not have remembered had I not gone back to thread 1- I encourage everyone to go to the light review section (linked at beginning of the threads.)

EDIT: SEE THIS POST FOR THE OTHER SIDE:
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/34269/P1050/#533396

LYKarineOnOlympiaHawthorneHair.jpg
    900 x 750 - 230K
    Post edited by Novica on
    edited December 1969

Check back in a few hours- I changed the Specular (which was 226 for all lthree numbers) to a darker mauve to take some of that lighter white off the cheeks. I also turned on the smoothing for the hair (at 15) and am showing you the hair from the other side. A fairly big render (900 pixels) so will take an hour or so at a shading rate of .30

edited December 1969

I like that one with Hawthorne hair! looks nice. I do think she has a pretty face, and different features, and yes of course, eyebrows. =-)

edited January 2014

Todays Review:
    Tyrese
    http://www.daz3d.com/tyrese-for-m5
    By: Male-M3dia, ForbiddenWhispers, JSGraphics

and

Some other content used

Spartan Warrior (Lourdes, Daz3d)
    EXO CyberSuit (Xurge3d) (Sold Elsewhere)
    Alien Cave (Flipmode
    )

http://www.daz3d.com/spartan-warrior
    http://www.daz3d.com/alien-cave

Tyrese is an attractive black character for Genesis 5 males, suitable for any sort of scene, and any period render. He comes with 7 heads, 5 body styles and a number of tribal painting makeup options and bald or with hair. He renders quite well in any lights you might want to use. I love the rich tone of his skin.

If you use the SSS I found I had to turn it off with my light setup on his mouth and inner mouth. It was too bright there for my tastes. But this was an easy to make adjustment. Just a handy tip if you need to do the same.

Tyrese looks good in just about any setting. I’m quite pleased with him. Now I have to convert his mats to Gen 6 and see what he looks like on one of Male-M3dia’s new bodybuilder morphs. =-)

With lighting for black characters, I often change lights to a slight gray. Jason lights work well, if you use a backdrop for this character.

For the backdrops I used an image from morgue file, with a blur applied. This simulates a depth of field without depth of field, and eliminates any grainy quality in the initial photo.

Images 1-4 Pictures of the Tyrese Character, default face, with various options applied.

T-6.jpg
    625 x 875 - 201K
    t-5.jpg
    875 x 875 - 481K
    Tribal.jpg
    875 x 875 - 390K
    T-Plain.jpg
    875 x 875 - 373K
    Post edited by Serene Night on
    edited December 1969

I remember when I tried Tyrese that I had that white above the top lip too. In the first two pictures, it's most noticeable- and the second one remotely looks like a bit of a moustache. (This is too funny, the forum is telling me I have to spell that mustache. It's underlining it.) I do like the richness of the skin tones but I'd have to darken the area above the top lip to suit my tastes. You did a good job with the adjustments- his skin has just the right amount of sheen.

I really Alien Cave- if people zoom in, they'd see the little squiggles and details. Spartan Warrior at least has decent coverage. :)

The first image caption would be, "Now WHICH way did I just come from?" and the last image would be, "Really? I don't think so."

edited January 2014

Heh! I like your captions. =-) I'm afraid I have a distinct lack of tribal wear. Spartan warrior is about it. I mostly have contemporary clothing and sci-fi. Oh, I do think I have the troll bikini, but that just looks weird. =-)

The shine on the upper lip doesn't bother me. Looks a believable level of facial sheen to me and similar to what's on his rest of his face. =-)

The thing that bugs me is the vermillion red lips caused by SSS on M6! Now that looks like coral lip polish to me. It drives me insane, about as much as something I swore I will no longer talk about does.

Alien cave is nice and always renders well.... but I really want to remove the ceiling. I find prop sets easier to render if I can remove all unneccesary parts not shown in the scene.

Post edited by Serene Night on
This discussion has been closed.