Who wants better animation tools in Daz Studio?

Comments

• I wonder if it's too much to hope that there will be detailed documentation produced for the new animation features?

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929

So far I've not had any crashes but I haven't tried animating yet. I've only imported a bunch of obj & image texture sets. I've created new scenes, opened old scenes, merged scenes, saved scenes, saved morphs/props assets, and iRay rendered.

• IvyIvy Posts: 7,154
    edited July 2019

I wonder if it's too much to hope that there will be detailed documentation produced for the new animation features?

Yes It would be nice just to have some basic documents to at least get us started .  I have some basic knowledge of Animate2 Graphmate and keymate which the timeline works like a combiation of the 3 put together .. But its creating IK chains & how to work with the rotations parimeters thats having me stumped oh and beware of daz crashing if you don't have it set up right . 

from what I have been able to do with it so far has been pretty amazing.  but it would be nice to have some beginning instructions

Post edited by Ivy on
  • marblemarble Posts: 7,449

Not sure whether this is the place to ask but, as I understand it, DAZ Studio (assuming Animate 2 has been purchsed) can export but not import .mdd animation data. Would it be too much to ask to include that .mdd import feature too?

• marble said:

Not sure whether this is the place to ask but, as I understand it, DAZ Studio (assuming Animate 2 has been purchsed) can export but not import .mdd animation data. Would it be too much to ask to include that .mdd import feature too?

AniMate 2 iss till owned by GoFigure https://www.daz3d.com/animate2

marble said:

I thought that, as GraphMate and KeyMate have now been incorporated, some other GoFigure features might find their way in too. Nevertheless, are we saying that it is beyond the skills of DAZ developers to add mdd import/export? A google search shows that there used to be a mdd importer freebie but that seems to have disappeared these days.

• marble said:
    marble said:

I thought that, as GraphMate and KeyMate have now been incorporated, some other GoFigure features might find their way in too. Nevertheless, are we saying that it is beyond the skills of DAZ developers to add mdd import/export? A google search shows that there used to be a mdd importer freebie but that seems to have disappeared these days.

I'm sure it's possible - as you say, there was a script (I think) that would do the job. The question would be whether there was enough demand to repay Daz's or a PA's efforts in making one.

• Ivy said:

I agree there needs to be a option for viewing the timeline tools so we can hide the graph editor when not in use. other wises its takes up to much screen space.

As with many other panes, there's a toggle in the middle of the divider that can be used to collapse/expand each area.

Ivy said:

I agree there needs to be a option for viewing the timeline tools so we can hide the graph editor when not in use. other wises its takes up to much screen space.

As with many other panes, there's a toggle in the middle of the divider that can be used to collapse/expand each area.

Bingo!! (Slaps forehead) exactly what I needed. Thanks Richard made a world of deference

edited July 2019

Oh I almost forgot what I came here for  I have a question, is there anyway we can assign hotkeys for some of the control options in the side tab like a hot key for delete or add keyframe, skip keyframe etc.  I did not see any hot keys assign to them so I was wondering if it was possiable to or was away we can do that , becuase be able to use hotkeys for keyframing on this timeline would be a huge benefit to using it

Capture.JPG
    1141 x 267 - 31K
    Post edited by Ivy on
  • wolf359wolf359 Posts: 3,764
    marble said:

Why do you want MDD import?

• Ivy said:

Oh I almost forgot what I came here for  I have a question, is there anyway we can assign hotkeys for some of the control options in the side tab like a hot key for delete or add keyframe, skip keyframe etc.  I did not see any hot keys assign to them so I was wondering if it was possiable to or was away we can do that , becuase be able to use hotkeys for keyframing on this timeline would be a huge benefit to using it

Many of them are actions, so they will be found on the left in Window>Workspace>Customise (under Animation) and you can assign a hotkey by right-click>Change Keyboard Shortcut

WOW!! thats is awesome. I knew about the workspace layout.  but i never knew we could set custom actions there too. Wish I knew that info alongtime ago..lol   this is most excellent i am setting  up my most used hotkeys now thanks Richard that is really good information .you just sped up my keyframing by 1000%

Capture.JPG
    1170 x 712 - 104K
    edited July 2019
    wolf359 said:
    marble said:

I watched a video describing exporting an animated figure to Marvelous Designer using .mdd and then bringing the animated figure back complete with draped, animated clothing for rendering in DAZ Studio. The only thing was that there is no option for importing back to DS using MDD so the video describes exporting from Marvelous Designer via object sequence files and then finding a freebie called animorph to allow that series of object files to be processed. Seems to me that MDD import would be preferable if available.

I realise that another option is to export the animation out of Marvelous Designer to Blender and render it there but I am not yet aware of any possible complications in that workflow.

Post edited by marble on
  • Leonides02Leonides02 Posts: 1,379
    marble said:
    wolf359 said:
    marble said:

I watched a video describing exporting an animated figure to Marvelous Designer using .mdd and then bringing the animated figure back complete with draped, animated clothing for rendering in DAZ Studio. The only thing was that there is no option for importing back to DS using MDD so the video describes exporting from Marvelous Designer via object sequence files and then finding a freebie called animorph to allow that series of object files to be processed. Seems to me that MDD import would be preferable if available.

I realise that another option is to export the animation out of Marvelous Designer to Blender and render it there but I am not yet aware of any possible complications in that workflow.

If you exported from DAZ, then conceivably the animation already lives in DAZ, right?

I've exported MDD to Marvelous Designer from Daz and imported the cloth.

marble said:
    wolf359 said:
    marble said:

If you exported from DAZ, then conceivably the animation already lives in DAZ, right?

I've exported MDD to Marvelous Designer from Daz and imported the cloth.

I linked the thread about the video I mentioned in my response above so that you can see what I mean.

When you say that you have imported the cloth, do you mean the whole animation or just a single drape (i.e. a still render)?

• Fixme12Fixme12 Posts: 589
    edited July 2019
    wolf359 said:
    marble said:

Because MarvelousDesigner gives you better clothing designer tools to dazstudio, how complicate can it be? Is there a reason the script had to be dissapear? Is it Because the launch of something else, wich seems not better to me... MDD export/import would be a priority to be on feature list of upcoming Version not? Days People would only render jpg are gone, it 's the fault of pixar and all the New Tech we see Every Day in life like realtime unreal renderer... Or as PA scream for the upcoming Maya tool to play With dazfigures, it' s a long waiting time when there finally seems going to happen With dson platform...
    Post edited by Fixme12 on
  • Fixme12 said:
    wolf359 said:
    marble said:

Because MarvelousDesigner gives you better clothing designer tools to dazstudio, how complicate can it be? Is there a reason the script had to be dissapear? Is it Because the launch of something else, wich seems not better to me... MDD export/import would be a priority to be on feature list of upcoming Version not? Days People would only render jpg are gone, it 's the fault of pixar and all the New Tech we see Every Day in life like realtime unreal renderer... Or as PA scream for the upcoming Maya tool to play With dazfigures, it' s a long waiting time when there finally seems going to happen With dson platform...

What do you mean? The MDD import scipt was not by Daz, so daz has no control over its availability.

• Trash PandaTrash Panda Posts: 111

How do you find the IK chain again after you make it and click away?

edited July 2019
    marble said:
    wolf359 said:
    marble said:

Hmmm.. was given to understand that people were using marvelous designer to create nice long dresses etc and using Dforce to drape them daz studio for still and animations.

At any rate I personally do not see any business incentive for Daz to add the ability to import 
    dynamic cloth pre-simulated externally after having spent dev time & costs to give you guys Dforce to do this within Daz studio without restrictions.

However if you have the ability to export a series of .obj files from marvelous Designer , there was a script from Mcasual for this purpose.

I have even used to import a poser dyncloth simulation back when daz only had  the optitex option.

Although I have Icone's realtime cloth physics at my disposal 
    Alas it seems that Mcasual has removed the script from his freebie site. 

Screen Shot 07-23-19 at 08.57 PM.PNG
    660 x 746 - 52K
    Post edited by wolf359 on
  • Silver DolphinSilver Dolphin Posts: 1,588

I will alway do betas as long as my studio 4.10 is not nuked. For simple short animations not bad. Nice new features thank you daz.

On what is dforce actually based? From where is it? Iray was from Nvidia that was clear... If i've see the results of dforce against Marvelous, My choice was made fast.
  • kwanniekwannie Posts: 865

Ivy, can you clarify what you are referring to when you say baking animation into timeline? Are you saying an IK chain cannot be added to an existing animation? How do you bake into the timeline, I'm only familiar with baking into the timeline from an Aniblock.

• Trash PandaTrash Panda Posts: 111

I'm still lost at the new IK stuff of what it is supposed to do. I would appreciate some guidance or tutorials coming soon =D!

• namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,064
    wolf359 said:
    marble said:
    wolf359 said:
    marble said:

Hmmm.. was given to understand that people were using marvelous designer to create nice long dresses etc and using Dforce to drape them daz studio for still and animations.

At any rate I personally do not see any business incentive for Daz to add the ability to import 
    dynamic cloth pre-simulated externally after having spent dev time & costs to give you guys Dforce to do this within Daz studio without restrictions.

However if you have the ability to export a series of .obj files from marvelous Designer , there was a script from Mcasual for this purpose.

I have even used to import a poser dyncloth simulation back when daz only had  the optitex option.

Although I have Icone's realtime cloth physics at my disposal 
    Alas it seems that Mcasual has removed the script from his freebie site. 

The "Search this site" box only seems to search the current set of scripts - mcjObjsToMorphingProp is on the second scripts page.

Ivy said:
    wolf359 said:

this is a combined timeline/,keyframe editor and graph editor all in one, with just 1 option for viewing just the basic timeline.But no way to click what you want to view like just graph editor or the key editor,  its all or nothing. with advance view checked. other wise you get just basic view .  so I hope that changes like add  check box options to the side tab for viewing tools on the timeline would be helpful in cleaning up all the stuff being viewd all at  once. no hard pinn surface options or a ik node to .obj mesh pinning option for feet to follow hard surfaces like Maya has I guess we will still have to wait for that option . there is under create tab a create IK chain so maybe i am missing something there I have not tried yet.

Hi Ivy  many thanks for the quick report 
    Nice effort  by Daz for a free progam

But I see this is not a Maya human Ik solver like the one in Iclone  where you simply turn on "foot contact" and 
    an invisible, infinate floor becomes impenetrable under the feet.

Then you can  add other  scene objects to the global terrain for walking up/down hills and placing  hands on table tops and counters.

Also it seems the combined timeline is less efficient than the Old separately tabbed Keymate & graphmate panels.

Looks like DS 4.8 shall remain my version going forward  ..oh well.

yes its nothing likes Maya IK . you have to do this manually under the scene tab.  instead of in the timeline like maya, you have to asign the hard surface under the create ik nodes. & I agree there needs to be a option for viewing the timeline tools so we can hide the graph editor when not in use. other wises its takes up to much screen space.

What no Ik like Maya or iclone? sounds a pitty ???? Ah well May be wait a little longer and see what 's upcoming. I would pay for better soft features, If they work.

The "Search this site" box only seems to search the current set of scripts - mcjObjsToMorphingProp is on the second scripts page.

Very Good then.
    People do have an option ,after a fashion,
    to import pre-animated meshes from  marvelous designer and any other program that exports animated meshes as a series of .obj files.

On what is dforce actually based? From where is it?

I beleive it was developed internally by the Daz Team

BTW Does this Mean that the FULL version of aniMate 2
    ,with MDD export, is now Free with DS 4.12?? 
    ...or is it just  Keymate & GraphMate  that have been folded into the base Program???

• AlmightyQUESTAlmightyQUEST Posts: 1,961

Animate 2 is still separate and available. I'm not familiar enough with the features to know if anything other than the keymate and graphmate features have been integrated.

wolf359 said:

Very Good then.
    People do have an option ,after a fashion,
    to import pre-animated meshes from  marvelous designer and any other program that exports animated meshes as a series of .obj files.

On what is dforce actually based? From where is it?

I beleive it was developed internally by the Daz Team

BTW Does this Mean that the FULL version of aniMate 2
    ,with MDD export, is now Free with DS 4.12?? 
    ...or is it just  Keymate & GraphMate  that have been folded into the base Program???

Yeah i know developed internally, but what engine 's behind it, like we had a test With bullet engine long ago..
  • EllessarrEllessarr Posts: 1,390

ok i would love to have improved tools but only if they where "free" not another "pay to have", jin my opnion just because daz is free don't means which they can put everything besides the basic of basic of the tool to be bought, the fact which things like animate 2 and others things which in my opnion where supposed to be part of the "main product" already make it's looks very greedy, and can easy make daz more expansive than any other 3D tool since "almost everything must be "bought", not only 3d models but almost every pluging or tool from daz must be "payed", i really don't like it.

but i would love more improviments for the animation tools and it be added on the base product not sold as a "extra".