The Can’t Find Anything When You Need It Complaint Thread.

Comments

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,098
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    Well I went I we bit over the top but in truth I settled for this as it was all I could afford. If I'dd had more to spend I would have.

Intel Core i7 Processor EXTREME EDITION i7-3970X 3.5GHz 15MB SIX CORE

ANTEC KÜHLER H2O 920 ENCLOSED LIQUID COOLING SYSTEM

ZEROtherm Advanced ZT100 Thermal Grease

PROFESSIONAL WIRING

Asus P9X79-E WS LGA2011/ Intel X79/ DDR3/ 4-Way CrossFireX & 4-Way
    SLI/SATA3e&SATA3;&USB3;.0/ A2GbE/CEB Motherboard

64GB (8 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1600MHz (PC3 12800) Quad Channel (HIGH PERFORMANCE)
    (8X) MEMORY HEAT SPREADERS

CORSAIR 360GB Solid State Drive SATA III (READ/WRITE 550MB/515MB)

2TB 7200 RPM 64MB CACHE SATA 6.0Gb/s

VANTEC ULTRA HIGH PERFORMANCE HDD COOLING FAN

ASUS 14X BLU-RAY DISK BURNER DVD-RW COMBO DRIVE

nVidia GeForce GTX690 4GB DDR5 3DVI/MINI-DISPLAY PCI-Express Video Card

REALTEK 8-CHANNEL DIGITAL SOUND ONBOARD

REALTEK 10/100/1000 Gigabit Network Card (onboard)

CoolerMaster HAF XM RC-922XM-KKN1 ATX Mid Tower Case

VANTEC DELUXE CASE COOLING SYSTEM

THERMALTAKE 1475 WATT HIGH PERFORMANCE SLI/CROSSFIRE POWER SUPPLY

INTERNAL ALL IN ONE DIGITAL CARD READER/WRITER

She walks, she talks, she is a monster. But even this setup will slow down for Transmaps. And High render settings on Fur is just as slow as Transmap's. It also did not magically make me a better 3D artist, sort of hoped it would. See?

I wonder what all that would cost today.

My hero! :lol: I didn't know the i7 had 6 cores. :bug: Well, that's definitely the one I want for my next base. You don't worry about this liquid cooling thing? I mean...water and electricity...you know? :-S

Dana

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

The H2O 920 is a Sealed system. And I'm insured out the wazoo on this thing. Cost now days? Frankie (her name) is only months old and ran darn near Six grand total, insurance and all. I built her for animation purposes which I'm happy to report she handles MUCH better than I expected her too. This is my Dream machine and I only have it now due to a windfall in my yearly pension check. Yes I could have put that money to better use, but as a disabled person who is a 90% shut in who's major hobby for the last 30 years has been PC's and now 3D art I got it while I had the chance. This is my Birthday present, my X-Mas present and all my mad money for the full year all rolled into one thing. I'm still setting my programs up as I like because this thing is so fresh off the line.

I Highly recommend the i7 series of CPU's, remember most are hyper-threaded so a Quad core is seen as 8 cores by 3Delight. This one is seen as 12 cores at render time.

• starionwolfstarionwolf Posts: 3,666
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:

I Highly recommend the i7 series of CPU's, remember most are hyper-threaded so a Quad core is seen as 8 cores by 3Delight. This one is seen as 12 cores at render time.

Unfortunately, I cannot afford one right now. Thanks for the tip though.

intel.jpg
    714 x 520 - 114K
    edited December 1969

Yikes, I can't afford that in the foreseeable future! :bug: :down:

Dana

edited December 1969

Intel i7 4-core processors are $210 - $320. Ok, I'm off to eat dinner.

• ps1borgps1borg Posts: 12,776
    edited December 1969

dead fish on a tray
    for lunch today
    bee a while since I could say
    dead fish on a tray
    :)

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,911
    edited December 1969

very nice tiger Jaderail

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited December 1969

brrr brrr brrr hot soup . doh, still shvrrrng

edited December 1969

I might move to New York City. I think the weather in NYC is similar to Huntington, NY.

29°F, feels like 20°

edited December 1969

very nice tiger Jaderail Thank you Wendy.
    ...looks pretty darn good to me.
    In the old Space Opera RPG, your system would control a planet sized death star.
    Thank you too Kyoto. The part I remember is how the Apollo missions were ran on a system (onboard) that the Vic 20 was stronger than.
    edited December 1969

I remember being really impressed with the Commodore 64 when I got it for Diane. That was in the mid 80s. How far things have come in 30 years! There was an add-on for it in the magazines that gave you a 20Meg hard drive. I couldn't imagine how great that would be. All our games and productivity software would fit with almost all of the space still free. And how fast they'd load! :bug: I loved playing Crossbow on that. :)

Dana

• atticanneatticanne Posts: 3,009
    edited December 1969

tjohn said:
    AtticAnne said:
    When I was a legal secretary in Houston, we took turns working Saturday mornings. It was a large office with many secretaries. By the time it was my turn I had forgotten how to work the switchboard and ended up cutting off the senior partner. I never had Saturday again.

I'm glad you were legal. Did you write on legal pads? :)

Only the lawyers got legal pads. We secretaries only got steno pads.

edited December 1969

AtticAnne said:
    tjohn said:
    AtticAnne said:
    When I was a legal secretary in Houston, we took turns working Saturday mornings. It was a large office with many secretaries. By the time it was my turn I had forgotten how to work the switchboard and ended up cutting off the senior partner. I never had Saturday again.

I'm glad you were legal. Did you write on legal pads? :)

Only the lawyers got legal pads. We secretaries only got steno pads.

That seems somehow illegal! :-P

Dana

• atticanneatticanne Posts: 3,009
    edited December 1969

Most lawyers do deal in illegalities or they wouldn't be in practice long.

edited December 1969

I'm not trying to blame Jaderail, but I forgot what I wanted to do with Lana before I went to bed. See, I loaded naked Lana. Then I switched to Chrome browser to look at Jaderail's nice renders. The I switched back to Lana. Now I am staring at naked Lana trying to remember what outfit I wanted to dress her up in. Ok.. guess I'll remember tomorrow. Sorry, no renders. lol G'night all

edited December 1969

Go ahead blame me, we Drow get blamed for lots of stuff. Just ask anybody in Greyhawk.

edited December 1969

1:33 am. getting up for work in 4 hours. madness.

can it ever be too cold for a.m. ice scream snack?

edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    Go ahead blame me, we Drow get blamed for lots of stuff. Just ask anybody in Greyhawk.

micah of the wolf nomads would set the record straight ... or would he?

edited December 1969

meh hayfever *sneezesneeze* that is my complaint :)

edited December 1969

playing around in the hay?

edited December 2013

I might move to New York City. I think the weather in NYC is similar to Huntington, NY.

29°F, feels like 20°

70 min by LIRR commuter express. if you take the local making all the stops, pack a picnic basket :)

http://new.mta.info/

Untitled-1.png
    1024 x 554 - 410K
    Post edited by Mistara on
    edited December 2013

playing around in the hay?

Real cool early morning and an afternoon in hot sun caused sniffles I think, nose is dripping like a tap and I'm hot phew, time for some lemonz :)

wow christmas avi great :lol:

Post edited by ps1borg on
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:

You got grey what now ?

Got a shady spot on a sunny beach saved for when you get to feeling under appreciated :)

w.png
    219 x 172 - 17K
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,609
    edited December 1969

ps1borg said:
    dead fish on a tray
    for lunch today
    dead fish on a tray

..Zoiks! Thought Wooly was back for a moment.
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ps1borg said:
    dead fish on a tray
    for lunch today
    dead fish on a tray

..Zoiks! Thought Wooly was back for a moment.

Getting toward Christmas so yes was on my mind too - fish was nice yum :)

edited December 1969

29°F, feels like 20°

70 min by LIRR commuter express. if you take the local making all the stops, pack a picnic basket :)

...At least the LIRR has been around for a while. The commuter rail line we have doesn't even go into down town and is a huge financial sinkhole for our local transit commission.

The worst part is If they discontinue service before 20 years, they have to pay the feds back to the tune of 59$ million

...it's a total "Lose-Lose" situation.

edited December 1969

Jaderail said:

...nah, here the popular thing to do is blame the local transit commission..
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:

29°F, feels like 20°

...At least the LIRR has been around for a while. The commuter rail line we have doesn't even go into down town and is a huge financial sinkhole for our local transit commission.

The worst part is If they discontinue service before 20 years, they have to pay the feds back to the tune of 59$ million

monorails would be fun.

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,027
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:

29°F, feels like 20°

monorails would be fun.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEZjzsnPhnw

edited December 1969

haz an inbox full of lolz :)

are they comfy?

4.jpg
    600 x 800 - 59K
    3.jpg
    600 x 450 - 36K
    2.jpg