Realistic Renders.....NOT!! 13: A new room to fill!

Comments

• JabbaJabba Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

There are improvements to Luxrender happening too - Paolo (who does the reality plug-in) reckons Luxrender 1.5 is 10 times faster than previous versions - so sounds like interesting times, hehehe

• RogerbeeRogerbee Posts: 4,460
    edited March 2015

Cool, hopefully that will mean a new Luxus as well as I don't have Reality.

Ages ago, I converted the David 5 texture to use with M6 and I'd forgotten about it till now. I changed the gamma to 2.2 in the test scene I had him in where it had previously been 1.0. I really like the texture now.

CHEERS!

M6_David_New.jpg
    576 x 745 - 230K
    Post edited by Rogerbee on
  • MN-150374MN-150374 Posts: 923
    edited March 2015

Rogerbee said:
    Cool, hopefully that will mean a new Luxus as well as I don't have Reality.

http://www.luxrender.net/wiki/LuxCore#Introduction

http://www.luxrender.net/wiki/LuxCore#Supported_GPUs

http://www.luxrender.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=10718

As far as I understand it, there will be a step by step integration, that results in LuxRender 2.0.

The first LuxCore Demo is included in LuxRender 1.4 (I think? Or was released at the same time?) and seems to work very well in LuxusCore for Carrara: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/50130/

Please correct me if I´m wrong. ;-)

Post edited by MN-150374 on
    edited December 1969

Mmm, interesting, I have a 7790 and the documentation for Luxcore says anything smaller than a 7850 might not have the resources. Ah well, we'll see. I'm happy enough with 3Delight and if that's all I can use then so be it. It's been renderer enough for me for many years and it can continue to be as I have no interest in forking out for more graphics firepower when DS is all I'd use it for.

CHEERS!

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,593
    edited December 1969

Jabba101 said:
    DS 4.8 Beta gives you the choice to render in either Iray or 3delight, so it is an extra choice.

The thing that you need to note from the beta is that DS currently loads up with Iray being the default render engine, so you need to change it to 3delight yourself from the drop-down box to do 'traditional' renders.

...actually after installing, 4.8 defaulted to 3DL. I had to switch to Iray in the render settings to use it.

As I mentioned 3DL even in standard (bucket) mode is faster than even 4.7and the finished images appear to look a bit "crisper" and cleaner. Currently running a test of the 3DLprogressive mode on my test scene.

edited December 1969

Gia seems to like that Caisson light set up I'm fond of using.

CHEERS!

Gia_Caisson_New.jpg
    576 x 745 - 192K
    edited March 2015

Rogerbee said:

Mmm, interesting, I have a 7790 and the documentation for Luxcore says anything smaller than a 7850 might not have the resources. Ah well, we'll see. I'm happy enough with 3Delight and if that's all I can use then so be it. It's been renderer enough for me for many years and it can continue to be as I have no interest in forking out for more graphics firepower when DS is all I'd use it for.

CHEERS!

...yeah, looks like even my 7950 HD's won't cut it according to the table. So basically for Win7 the HD 7970 is the "optimal" AMD GPU though odd in that it only has 3 GB (same as the 7950 HD) unless it is the 6 GB Sapphire Vapour-X version they used.

There also seems to be a typo for the Win 7 64 GPUs as they list "AMD GTX" numbers. GTX is Nvidia.

So in the end it seems I would need to purchase a newer more powerful GPU anyway whether I choose LuxCore through Reality (4.1) or the "native" Iray. In that case, I'd be better off to get a GTX970 for 339USD and just stick with Iray which already has a hybrid mode that works. At least I didn't pay anything for the 7950s.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
    edited March 2015

I'm going to stick with what I have, Artini pointed me to some light sets I really like and if I can get similar results then 3Delight will more than do me.

I decided that, as Gia's hair is PH Punk, that I'd make her all out punk and give her the full treatment by autofitting Royal Punk to her, a few poke issues, but not bad.

CHEERS!

Gia_Punk_Caisson.jpg
    576 x 745 - 184K
    edited December 1969

..OK juasr ran two tests in 3DL on the same scene. The first with 3DL in Progressive mode and second in Normal (bucket) mode.

Lights used were one AoA Advanced Ambient, one AoA Advanced Distant ("sun") and one AoA Advanced Spot (configured as a point light to add a bit of fill light to the girls' faces. Both were rendered at 1,200 x 900 resolution through the same camera without any other special camera effects.

Visually there seems to be just a slight difference between the two, mostly in the sharpness with the Progressive render appearing a bit less "crisp" than the normal process when looked at closely . Not really a major issue. When I did some tests in 4.6 there was a noticeable difference particularly with subtle shadows and AO.

Not\w for the big difference, the time. The progressive render took 41m 22s while the normal process took 13m 58sec Both times are without an optimisation pass. (I ran that before doing either test).

Fig 1. Progressive Render

Fig 2. "Bucket" render

here_comes_the_bus_3DL_normal.png
    1200 x 900 - 2M
    here_comes_the_bus_3DL_progressive.png
    1200 x 900 - 2M
  • ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,874
    edited December 1969

Great renders, Rogerbee and Kyoto Kid.

edited December 1969

I have made some test 3Delight renders with and without progressive rendering in Daz Studio Beta 4.8.
    Actually scene with progressive rendering on, renders longer, but I like how it smooth out the hair.
    Also tried rendering with Gamma On and set to 2.2, but it wash out the skin on the character,
    so I am unsure if I like it better than with Gamma set to Off.
    In the scene I have used:
    http://www.daz3d.com/catrina
    http://www.daz3d.com/udane-hair
    http://www.daz3d.com/casual-denim
    and FWArt Character Lights.

edited March 2015

Rendering Time: 2 minutes 49 seconds

Progressive On, Gamma Off

Catrina02pic01.jpg
    960 x 1024 - 167K
    Post edited by Artini on
    edited March 2015

Rendering Time: 2 minutes 18 seconds

Progressive Off, Gamma Off

Catrina02pic02.jpg
    960 x 1024 - 149K
    Post edited by Artini on
    edited December 1969

Rendering Time: 3 minutes 14 seconds

Progressive On

Gamma 2.2

Catrina02pic03.jpg
    960 x 1024 - 164K
    edited December 1969

One of my older favorites: Quarker Sapphire Fox Hair, previously available at Daz 3D.
    Oldie but goldie...
    Rendering Time: 4 minutes

Catrina08pic01.jpg
    960 x 1024 - 194K
    edited December 1969

...have you tried the normal render mode to compare times?

edited December 1969

The only differences I could tell were with gamma, everything else looked the same to me. I swear that, for me, rendering with progressive on speeded it up rather than slowed it down. I'll have to check on that and get back to you.

CHEERS!

edited March 2015

I just tried that Gia Punk scene, with progressive off it took 8m 30s and with it on it took 1m 30s. I couldn't tell any difference in quality, so go figure!

CHEERS!

EDIT:

I think something is awry with the coding in 4.8, turning features off seems to turn them on. Why else, in 4.7, would I be seeing opposite results to what you are!?

edited December 1969

Now, here's a thing, the first render is with the gamma correction on, and the second is with it off.

Interesting.....

CHEERS!

M6_Eli_Gamma_Off.jpg
    576 x 745 - 214K
    M6_Eli_Gamma_On.jpg
    576 x 745 - 228K
    edited December 1969

Rogerbee said:
    I just tried that Gia Punk scene, with progressive off it took 8m 30s and with it on it took 1m 30s. I couldn't tell any difference in quality, so go figure!

CHEERS!

EDIT:

I think something is awry with the coding in 4.8, turning features off seems to turn them on. Why else, in 4.7, would I be seeing opposite results to what you are!?

I think you have hit a jackpot with your graphics card, Rogerbee.
    I have made test renders in Daz Studio 4.7 and in my computer setup when I switch to progressive rendering
    the render times are even longer.
    edited March 2015

Ok, below are my test renders made in Daz Studio 4.7 Pro.
    I have used the following items in the scene:
    http://www.daz3d.com/gogo-for-mei-lin-6
    http://www.daz3d.com/north-hair
    http://www.daz3d.com/faertara-for-genesis-2-female-s
    and light setup from http://www.daz3d.com/fw-sebastian-hd
    It is amazing how switching the gamma,
    make hair apperance changing from dark to the bright one.

Below are the rendering times:
    Gamma Off (and set to 1.0)
    Progressive Rendering Off -> Rendering Time: 2 minutes 28 seconds
    Progressive Rendering On -> Rendering Time: 4 minutes 25 seconds

Gamma On and set to 2.2
    Progressive Rendering Off -> Rendering Time: 2 minutes 46 seconds
    Progressive Rendering On -> Rendering Time: 4 minutes 56 seconds

Gogo02gimp01.jpg
    1536 x 1024 - 200K
    Gogo01gimp01.jpg
    1536 x 1024 - 200K
    Post edited by Artini on
    edited December 1969

Rogerbee said:

CHEERS!

EDIT:

...progressive rendering in 4.8 seems to function a bit different in that it seems to render in "blocks" rather than the entire scene at once. Basically, some sections of the scene will remain at a lower quality as others clear up. It's really weird compared to the last time I experimented with it (Daz 4.6).
    edited March 2015

Artini said:
    Rogerbee said:

CHEERS!

EDIT:

I think you have hit a jackpot with your graphics card, Rogerbee.
    I have made test renders in Daz Studio 4.7 and in my computer setup when I switch to progressive rendering
    the render times are even longer.

...but 3DL rendering in either mode is all CPU based. The GPU only affects the viewport when working on a scene. The more VRAM, the more responsive the viewport is.

In 4.6, progressive rendering was faster than bucket rendering for me as well, just not as good of quality unless I messed with scripted rendering which is far more work than I care to deal with.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
    edited March 2015

Mmm, that's all interesting.

I'll have to try Progressive when 4.8 hits and see how I go with it. Still don't get why my gamma has the opposite effect to what Artini's does. One of those things I guess.

I did a bit more messing about today and I converted the D5 Neo texture using Map Transfer so I could use it on M6. Took a little while to get everything right and I'm quite happy with the result. I'll get the corresponding G2 character later, but this guy will do for now.

CHEERS!

M6_Neo_Caisson.jpg
    576 x 745 - 149K
    edited March 2015

Looks great, Rogerbee.

I have rendered another scene with progressive rendering on, in DS 4.8 beta with Gamma set to 2.2
    I am trying to find the lights, that gives better looking skin on characters under these conditions.
    In the scene I have used http://www.daz3d.com/amelie-for-keiko-6-hd
    First render with light setup from http://www.daz3d.com/caressed-by-light
    Rendering Time: 4 minutes 49 seconds

Amelie01pic04.jpg
    960 x 1024 - 123K
    Post edited by Artini on
    edited March 2015

... another one, with light setup from Arah3D Deeply Dreamy Lights For DS,
    using Beautiful Mystery preset.
    Rendering Time: 5 minutes 11 seconds

Amelie03pic02.jpg
    960 x 1024 - 115K
    Post edited by Artini on
    edited December 1969

They look good,

Is the gamma on your graphics card itself set to 2.2? I know mine is. Maybe that could make a difference.

CHEERS!

edited December 1969

Rogerbee said:

They look good,

Is the gamma on your graphics card itself set to 2.2? I know mine is. Maybe that could make a difference.

CHEERS!

I could not find the gamma settings for the graphic card in my computer.
    Where did you found yours?
    edited March 2015

It depends on the make, on my AMD, when I right click when in desktop I can bring up Catalyst Control Centre where I can adjust settings there. Your card should come with some program or other where you can control the settings. The gamma adjustment is done in colour settings.

CHEERS!

EDIT:

You may recall that I said that the fans on my graphics card would scream blue murder during some renders. Well, I hadn't calibrated my EPU-4 engine (a program that monitors everything except the graphics card), now, when the graphics card gets hot, the case fan kicks into higher gear to compensate for it. Basically, I can do long renders without worrying that my card will spontaneously combust. There are still hairy moments when everything is singing but it's not quite as bad as before. This is why I welcome progressive rendering!

edited December 1969

Had another play with Map Transfer and converted the Dean texture for D5 to use with M6. Not bad, but there are seam issues this time. Still, one of these days I will get round to buying the D5 UV and be able to use the proper texture so the current one will get binned when I have that.

Here's a test render anyway

CHEERS!

M6_Dean_Caisson.jpg
    576 x 745 - 164K
This discussion has been closed.