Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 6

Comments

• Fencepost52Fencepost52 Posts: 498
    edited December 2013

Here's the backstory behind this image....While I was working in the woods today, I came across this large wooden object that resembled a ported cube. I was completely baffled how it got there and asked the property owner if he had any thoughts on the history. He told me that years ago, a nomadic people called the Brinnenites created ported cubes as a symbol of their strength, creativity, and unity, with each wood type representing a characteristic. The intertwining of the woods shows that each characteristic is forever linked with one another. The myth has it that the Brinnenites used Wings as a secondary source of transport, particularly in battle. They were fierce warriors whose wounds would heal rapidly as a result of their hypertextured skin. It's unknown what happened to the Brinnenites, but some say there are a few remaining in the world today. I laughed at the property owner's story and went about my business. It was a good story and, although I felt it was a bit far-fetched, it was worth taking a picture. LOL

My first ever "landscape" type of scene. I really need to learn how to use the instancing lab because this fairly simple scene took 5+ hours to render as a result of the trees. Ported cube following David Brinnenite's ;) Wings tutorial (no hypertextured skins though). Palm trees graciously created and provided for free by Rashad Carter, which you can download here: Palms/Ferns & Palms/Ferns v. 2 Thank you, Rashad!

WoodenPortedCube2.jpg
    800 x 800 - 780K
    Post edited by Fencepost52 on
  • TrishTrish Posts: 2,625
    edited December 2013

fencepost: I like that story... from now till the end of time... you must tell a story with your render....and you did a great job by the way...nice detailed scene....read your bird post gave you an idea...Trish

Post edited by Trish on
  • Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

Afore mentioned "snow scene" version of the last render I posted on the previous page. :)

SnowlandFence.jpg
    1111 x 650 - 166K
    edited December 1969

fencepost: I like that story... from now till the end of time... you must tell a story with your render....and you did a great job by the way...nice detailed scene....read your bird post gave you an idea...Trish

:D Thanks....I can some stories! LOL Thanks for the idea in the other post.

Great snow scene, Dave. I would have added a giant next to the fence in the original and called it a day!

• GoshtacGoshtac Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Don't know why I have been on a submarine kick lately, but did this one a few weeks back. Was happy to see the FROZEN challenge so I could start doing some stuff for that, but here was my last sub image for awhile.

I call this " Close Encounters of the Wrong Kind" Sub is only commercial item from DAZ in scene. Very minor post work done with PSP.

Bruce

Close_Encounter_of_the_Wrong_Kind.jpg
    1514 x 857 - 136K
  • GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@Dave: Comments about your first new landscape caused me to take a second look. Yeah, that's a big fence, but since everything else is in proper proportion to each other I see that scene as a Paul Bunyan look. I really like the results of the snow scene.

@David: Great results in your latest three images. The ground/background material is great.

@Dangerlad: That office scene is really starting to look nice.

@fencepost: Nice forest scene. One thing I noticed is that the fallen tree trunk is a bit to shiny. If the material could be made to look more like bark it would blend in better.

Here are a few more from my time playing around in Hexagon.

Round_Gem_Very_Dark_Amber_1.png
    570 x 570 - 686K
    Square_Gem_1.png
    570 x 570 - 716K
    Round_Gem_Cloudy_2.png
    570 x 570 - 737K
    Round_Gem_Cloudy_1.png
    570 x 570 - 418K
  • David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

Art, Brinnenites indeed? Well thank you, I've never been turned into a tribe before. The render certainly turned out very well, to get the scene that lush and full I know is a time consuming proposition. If I was going to suggest anything to experiment with further it would be maybe to use Dan's volume fog to create rays of sunlight through the scene - but expect alarming render times!

Winter scene is picture postcard Dave, but where's Peter hiding? Snow on the tree works well, the blobs on the fence are a nice touch but the nearest looks a tad angular. Oh yes, thanks for the tip about the specular highlight.

Always a big fan of SF scenes, particularly those featuring flying saucers. Must have been the films I saw as a nipper.

Jamie, the second one, that works very well, interesting things going on optically in that object. Don't forget to experiment with the effect of TIR when doing this kind of thing.

Bricks, here's what Octane could make of them using normal maps instead of bump.

Some_bricks_test.jpg
    1024 x 512 - 263K
  • HoroHoro Posts: 10,365
    edited December 2013

@fencepost52 - very nice scene. David is right, you could use Dan's volumetric fog, or you could put in some haze to make this a damp place. Don't shy away at long render times. Your setup is worth it. Nice story, too.

@Dave - that's cheating ;-P . On the fence posts you could use spheres instead of cubes for the snow. The scene looks very nice, the weather fits and the fir tree looks as if it's windy.

@Bruce - looking nice, I like how the green light illuminates things.

@GussNemo - another set of nice shapes. The second is quite special.

@David - bricks looking good on Octane but were more dramatic in Bryce.

Post edited by Horo on
  • useroperatoruseroperator Posts: 247
    edited December 2013

@guss

you're getting closer. definitely tons of ways to experiment.

make sure to use the smooth option control panel in the surface modeling tab for more control over the type of smoothing (it's there that you'll also find the different interpolation and subdivision smoothing options to choose from).

Post edited by useroperator on
    edited December 1969

Todays free thing is... http://www.daz3d.com/december-freebies

free.jpg
    250 x 369 - 81K
    edited December 2013

OMG I love that....Brinnenites....Good one...LOL...have to agree with Horo liked the bricks in Bryce render better
    Jamie: sparkles.....nice coloring on those Gems
    Dave; That would be a good one for Frozen....
    Bruce: check the skies it might be some kind of a premonition...look out people up north.......nice UFO

Ok people who has snow for real???? I will never get it where I am... so just Pm or e-Mail me photos...I miss it really bad...Trish

Post edited by Trish on
    edited December 2013

* I should add my last render is quite representative of my current "winter" conditions here in Florida. It's a beautiful 63 degrees today! Not to rub it in or anything... Just saying. :D*

Art, Brinnenites indeed? Well thank you, I've never been turned into a tribe before. The render certainly turned out very well, to get the scene that lush and full I know is a time consuming proposition. If I was going to suggest anything to experiment with further it would be maybe to use Dan's volume fog to create rays of sunlight through the scene - but expect alarming render times!

David, are you trying to connect yourself to these mythological nomads?! :) Consider yourself "tribed"! LOL

Nice work with the normal maps. I'm guessing Bryce doesn't support normal maps, only bump mapping? Can you get Octane on the cheap or is it expensive?

Horo said:
    @fencepost52 - very nice scene. David is right, you could use Dan's volumetric fog, or you could put in some haze to make this a damp place. Don't shy away at long render times. Your setup is worth it. Nice story, too.

Thank you both for the suggestions. I'm certainly going to try them out see what kind of results I can get. Will post the renders for review and comment.

@fencepost: Nice forest scene. One thing I noticed is that the fallen tree trunk is a bit to shiny. If the material could be made to look more like bark it would blend in better.

That's a great point. Really calls attention to itself. I'll fix that. Wonder if I could get away with a spot render to fix that? How do you do a spot render without restarting the entire render process?

Nice work on the Hexagon renders. Soon, you'll be a pro Hexagon user. I'm toying with the idea of purchasing it, but haven't really felt the need. My favorite is your first render and really like the floor texture.

@goshtac: Welcome back to the forum! I'm a newb here, but have found this place be very helpful.

OMG I love that....Brinnenites....Good one...LOL

I thought you caught that the first time around! LOL

Here's a quick render of some armored spheres. Why am I posting them here since they're not very exciting and we've already covered this topic elsewhere? Because these were made entirely in Bryce using primitives and booleans. It's actually quite simple, but it took my feeble brain quite awhile to figure it out. Once I get all my ideas together, I'll create a tutorial.

ArmoredSphereBryceOnly3.jpg
    600 x 600 - 28K
    Post edited by Fencepost52 on
    edited December 2013

This is just a test http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/33437/ ok I know I can link to pages but if I wanted to quote something to someone in another forum ....how is that done???? Trish

Thanks for the weather report fencepost its 55 in Georgia...LOL Trish

Post edited by Trish on
  • DangerladDangerlad Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Here's the office again. I have taken Horo and David's advice and darkened the ceiling a bit (by moving the light source a little). I have also moved in some furniture (all hand made by yours truly in Wings3d). I admit that it is a noisy render but I was only using 16RPP for the render. I will kick off a higher quality render later on today. I also changed the resolution of the render to avoid some of the weird artifacts in the ceiling since I'm using a picture texture and the shadows of the picture don't necessarily match that of the overall scene.

CO-3_16rpp.jpg
    1400 x 700 - 1M
    edited December 1969

@fencepost52 - nice spheres, again.

@Trish - no snow yet, only thick rime. Georgia, been to Atlanta (Buckhead) a few years ago, a 20 hour trip.

@Dangerlad - the furniture helps and the ceiling looks quite good now.

edited December 2013

Horo: not born in Georgia originally from Indianapolis, Indiana where we did have snow......never been to buckhead ...I am by the ocean
    Dangerlad: that office looks really good !!!

Post edited by Trish on
  • useroperatoruseroperator Posts: 247
    edited December 2013

bored again

hfghfghfgh.png
    962 x 557 - 367K
    ghhgghhg.png
    1430 x 872 - 804K
    Post edited by useroperator on
    edited December 1969

@user.operator - your quite productive when bored. Keep it up, the boredom. Very nice render.

@Trish - you may miss the snow, I'm missing the ocean.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Horo said:
    @user.operator - your quite productive when bored. Keep it up, the boredom. Very nice render.

@Trish - you may miss the snow, I'm missing the ocean.

Not an ocean I miss, but a river. Lived almost all my life within short walking distance of the River Thames, and now, although there are plenty of small rivers and lots of waterfalls up here, there isn't a river like the Thames. The river crossing that was near us when I lived in Kent is 2664 ft long (812 metres) and 449 feet (137 metres) high at the highest point of the crossing, gives you an idea how wide the river is. Next crossing up, some way up, is done by ferry.

edited December 1969

@Pam - the river I got, the Rhône. In this 10 km stretch, it runs still wild, finding new ways. In winter, the wide bed is mostly dry though you never know when they flush a reservoir in the mountains and you get flushed away, too.

edited December 2013

OK Horo we could do the time share condo thing....you come her for the winter and I will go where you are...then you can have ocean and I will have snow...besides I never got to ski the Alps...LOL Trish

Post edited by Trish on
    edited December 2013

Horo said:
    @Pam - the river I got, the Rhône. In this 10 km stretch, it runs still wild, finding new ways. In winter, the wide bed is mostly dry though you never know when they flush a reservoir in the mountains and you get flushed away, too.

The Thames is normally a fairly placid river. It is tidal all the way from the estuary right up through London and out the other side.
    Storm surges, coupled with high spring tides are about the only thing that make it a bit feisty on occasion.

Where we are now is higher than most of South East England, so the Thames never really gets to boisterous further upstream.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@David: Thanks for the comments. You picked the one object I questioned, especially with the material used. I have tried using TR a few times but it seems to be working like hyper texture on some of the objects. I have to say I prefer the Bryce brick wall over the one from Octane.

@Horo: Thank you. You too picked the one objected I was not too happy about.

@user.operator: Yeah, one day I may remember what I do each time in Hexagon to constantly produce what I'm after. I did see the smoothing choices in the upper right window, just haven't given them much of a try so far. Your recent work is looking nice, especially the individual wall hanging image. Love the raised objects on the frame.

@Dangerlad: Office is constantly getting better. It might just be my brain interpretation but the walls seem overly bright. Seems to me they look better if like that part of the wall behind the round table. Those Wings 3d objects are really nice.

@Trish: Thanks.

@fencepost: Those armored balls are terrific. I can see a booleaned sphere and multi-replicate in that image. Or, one of Rashad's primitives multi-replicated.

Here are a few more objects from my playing around with Hexagon.

Twisted_Cupped_Sphere_2.png
    750 x 750 - 1M
    Twisted_Cupped_Sphere_1.png
    750 x 750 - 1M
    Ribbed_Sphere_3.png
    570 x 570 - 643K
    Cupped_Sphere_1.png
    750 x 750 - 1M
  • David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

* I should add my last render is quite representative of my current "winter" conditions here in Florida. It's a beautiful 63 degrees today! Not to rub it in or anything... Just saying. :D*

David, are you trying to connect yourself to these mythological nomads?! :) Consider yourself "tribed"! LOL

Nice work with the normal maps. I'm guessing Bryce doesn't support normal maps, only bump mapping? Can you get Octane on the cheap or is it expensive?

Brinnens. There's not many of us around the world. There are some in Norway that have adopted the name by deep poll. And a few in the US. A dying breed.

So. normal maps in Bryce, this is what was occupying me yesterday indeed. The thing is, almost... Anisotropy almost does it. The specular response is a bit narrow even with high specular halo. Here's a little test.

Jamie, appealing renders, the shapes, lighting and materials look well suited.

Spec_map_test2.jpg
    850 x 850 - 229K
    Image1.jpg
    697 x 579 - 124K
    edited December 1969

no new free thing today so far.....maybe later

• JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited December 2013

You just can’t do wrong when using some great models, can you (here, a view of a small part of Stonemason’s Streets-Of-Asia 2). Had the model for ages, but couldn’t open it in Bryce as there was just too many parts to it (but DS worked, allowing exporting it to Bryce).

Title: "Inn of the Sixth Happiness" (a borrowed title, no doubt ;))

Jay

Streets-night.jpg
    1200 x 599 - 498K
    Post edited by Jamahoney on
  • GoshtacGoshtac Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

OMG I love that....Brinnenites....Good one...LOL...have to agree with Horo liked the bricks in Bryce render better
    Jamie: sparkles.....nice coloring on those Gems
    Dave; That would be a good one for Frozen....
    Bruce: check the skies it might be some kind of a premonition...look out people up north.......nice UFO

Ok people who has snow for real???? I will never get it where I am... so just Pm or e-Mail me photos...I miss it really bad...Trish

Hi Kiddo - You wanted snow photos - Let you see what we normally get here each winter - Sent you a PM with 2 photos

Bruce

edited December 2013

Bruce: I love the photos....Thank you.....now if I could just make it look like that here...The sky is so blue...I really think that will help me with ideas for more snow scenes.....Trish

Post edited by Trish on
    edited December 1969

Just for you Trish. The ''snowman'' used to be our sprouting broccolli. Made this a couple of years ago, when we did get snow before christmas, normally it does arrive till after christmas here, well not in ernest anyway

Xmas_card.jpg
    600 x 800 - 416K
  • StuartBStuartB Posts: 596
    edited December 2013

Ooops!!, this was meant for Trish, sorry goshtac, my mistake.

@Trish.
    @goshtac.

I don't know if this link works from anywhere else but you can have a look if it does.

Just a few pictures of a really good frost just after the snow started to dissapear.
    These where taken by me in 2010 I think.
    Taken in my village and the next one to me in Leicestershire, UK.
    If you get to them just click on the "Mixed Shots " icon, the one with the bird box.

You dont have to look at all the pictures, theres a selector above the top middle picture on the first page.
    The frost pictures are in the last 51 to 60 range.

https://mypixels.shutterfly.com/
    Post edited by StuartB on
This discussion has been closed.