Pointless Prizeless Challenge #1138: Space Opera ! ( May The Fourth Be With You )

3dcheapskate3dcheapskate Posts: 2,689
edited September 2021 in Art Studio

Yes, anybody can enter this challenge and post images and/or comments to this thread.
And yes, you're allowed as many entries as you want !
(It's not intended to be just a monologue, although that's often how these challenges end up.)
Just to be absolutely clear - only entries that specifically request 'appreciation' by the Criticizer-General will be appreciated... meaning, of course, that they will be found to be 'artless' and vapourized, along with their creator and perhaps its/her/his home planet.
Entries not specifically marked for 'appreciation' will be considered 'sensible' (and/or 'proper art'), will be treated with respect (well...sort of), and will not be shown to the Criticizer-General.

The challenge is simply to render a 'Space Opera'... a complete 'Space Opera' ! One image should tell the whole story...

With Star Wars Day fast approaching I realized that it's been far too long without one of these*...

But we can't dive straight into the Pointless Prizeless Challenge because many of you probably don't even know what 'Space Opera' is !
So what exactly is 'Space Opera' ?

?

Why are you looking at me ?
I'm not going to explain all of the key features of one of the greatest subgenres of syfy sci-fi...
Go and look it up on Google !

(Phew ! That was a close call, but I think I got away with it!)

'Space Opera' IS adventure !

'Space Opera' has fencing, fighting, torture, revenge, giants, monsters, chases, escapes, true love, miracles...

...humiliations galore !

?

...errr, hang on a mo' - that's something else isn't it ...

?

But 'Space Opera' has all that anyway !

And 'Space Opera' has spaceships too !

(And cowboys with springs in their boots ! Well mine do)

So, now that we all know exactly what 'Space Opera' is, we can get on with the challenge...

The challenge is simply to render a 'Space Opera'... a complete 'Space Opera' ! One image should tell the whole story, just like my example above does... ;o) That's it, no other rules... easy.

Answers to FAQ that haven't been asked:

0) Yes, anybody can enter and post stuff to this thread. The main requirement is that you don't take anything too seriously.
1) No, it does NOT have to be Star Wars.
2) Yes, you can have opera singers etc if you must, but that's not compulsory. Definitely not compulsory.
3) I like the idea of a traditional 'Space Opera' picture - hero, heroine, etc front and centre, spacecraft and planets etc in the background. Typical movie poster / book cover sort of thing.
4) Yes, I do have lots of spacecraft in my runtime. I just thought that using a ladies bicycle instead had a certain je ne sais quoi to it. Also my render-beast ran out of steam and almost keeled over when I tried to add a spacecraft. But that's definitely not compulsory (spacecraft I mean, not render beasts falling over).
5) No, I'm not going to tell you who the characters in my picture are and how they relate to each other. You should be able to work that out for yourself ! Anyway, your version's probably better than mine !
6) I used 'Heading 3 'in this post to make text big because 'Big' does nothing.
7) Okay, you can also use some words to tell the story.

*If you don't know what a Pointless, Prizeless Challenge is... well, you should be able to work it out for yourself, shouldn't you? Hint: The key is in the two adjectives - 'Pointless' and 'Prizeless'. The word 'Stupid'** also comes to mind, but it doesn't begin with P and would ruin the alliteration.  For more information see the previous challenge - Pointless Prizeless Challenge #12: Render A (Stupid) Story Title and the Pointless Prizeless Challenge Index . Note that since all these Pointless, Prizeless Challenges have the property of Prizelessness, that also means that they are ipso facto Closing-Date-Less. So if you have an (extremely late) entry for any of those earlier Pointless, Prizeless Challenges they are all still open - post away and resurrect the thread !

**The challenge I mean - not you the reader. Well, not necessarily... ;o)

SpaceOpera04-EDIT.png
832 x 1232 - 1M
Post edited by 3dcheapskate on

Comments

• 3dcheapskate3dcheapskate Posts: 2,689
    edited May 2019

One thing that I forgot to mention...

All entries will be perfunctorily 'appreciated' by the Criticizer-General (1st Class) of Art-Criticism Super-Dreadnought Space Battle-Cruiser 'Etienne La Font de Saint-Yenne'.

Unsatisfactory 'artworks' will then be formally proscribed as 'artless' and vapourized.

Along with their creator.

And his/her/its home planet if the Criticizer-General is in a bad mood.

sentence.jpg
    832 x 832 - 98K
    Render 1.jpg
    832 x 832 - 57K
    edited May 2019

The Criticizer-General performs his first perfunctory 'appreciation'...

Appreciated...

...and found to be 'artless' !

Render 1.jpg
    832 x 832 - 76K
    Appreciated.jpg
    832 x 832 - 62K
  • bighbigh Posts: 8,147

cool

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073

Great idea.  

edited May 2019

And like many cool, great ideas...
    ...not a sausage !
    I guess that all the artists here are too fragile to take the Criticizer-General's appreciation... wink  

Then again, maybe it's just because it's the weekend and people are busy. Maybe it'll pick up on Monday when everybody's back in the office with time to kill...

• KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191

I really like the idea behind this thread. I love space operas! 

• OdaaOdaa Posts: 1,548

And like many cool, great ideas...
    ...not a sausage !
    I guess that all the artists here are too fragile to take the Criticizer-General's appreciation... wink  

Then again, maybe it's just because it's the weekend and people are busy. Maybe it'll pick up on Monday when everybody's back in the office with time to kill...

This is a busy weekend in my family, so yes. This looks like a fun challenge but the kind of thing that takes time to set up if you want it to look good.

edited May 2019

Here's mine.

SpaceOPera.jpg
    867 x 1388 - 942K
    Post edited by Odaa on
    edited May 2019

And we have our first entry - thank you Odaa !

Marvellous - true love, spaceships, and blasters ! And Vulcans ? (Or perhaps Space Elves ?) And do I detect a hint at clone wars... ?

I've decided not to let the Criticizer-General near any of the entries unless an entrant specifically requests, so...
    Would you like me to show your picture to the Criticizer-General* ?
    (N.B. If you opt to have your picture 'appreciated' you are implicitly accepting the inevitable vapourization of your picture, your person, and perhaps your home planet.)

To help you make your decision I've made these:

Yes.jpg
    358 x 365 - 24K
    No.jpg
    303 x 382 - 25K

Thank you! Perfectly okay with letting the Criticizer-General do his thing. :)

edited May 2019

Entry 1 - Odaa #1: I found a nice billboard just outside toontown, so I've pasted your image up on that. I've heard the Criticizer-General will be coming this way...

Render 1.jpg
    826 x 826 - 80K
    Render 1-EDIT.jpg
    815 x 711 - 113K

Appreciated...

...and found to be 'artless' !

Criticizer-General (thinks): I thought I vapourized that chap before? Never mind, it must have been his twin brother.

edited May 2019

Ah, I see that one of the Criticizer-General's Destructo-Ships* is beginning to charge up its weapons array...

*Edit: Apologies,my mistake. After looking through Jane's Book Of Interplanetary Spacecraft,Volume 23, I've realized that this is in fact a lightly armed reconnaissance ship from Pugno-Belligeri VI. Obviously this one has been specially outfitted for extra-long-range super-long-term reconnaisance, because they've removed most of the guns...

Render 1.jpg
    824 x 824 - 83K

Heh, very funny appreciation! I like the destructo-ship-where did you find that? :)

• RedfernRedfern Posts: 1,579

It's two K'Tinga class Klingon cruisers slapped together with several copies of a freebie raygun from ShareCG.

Sincerely,

Bill

edited May 2019

Thank you - not many people appreciate having their art appreciated in this way. laugh

The Destructo-Ship ? It's a mish-mash of freebie spacecraft and raygun models - more specifically, two of these and six of these ! Edit: I see that Bill already spotted that !
    I'm wondering whether it needs more guns*.
    Bigger guns.

Which reminds me - I'm assuming that you are from planet earth... ?

*Ah,I see it did have before they modified it. Read the edit to the post with the picture to make sense of that.

edited May 2019

And Archeopterix' (the maker of the raygun I used) ShareCG gallery reminded me of this fun little thing - https://thrilling-tales.webomator.com/derange-o-lab/pulp-o-mizer/pulp-o-mizer.html

Pulp-O-Mizer_Cover_Image.jpg
    332 x 508 - 115K
    Pulp-O-Mizer_Cover_Image.jpg
    332 x 508 - 122K
    edited May 2019
    Redfern said:

It's two K'Tinga class Klingon cruisers slapped together with several copies of a freebie raygun from ShareCG.

Sincerely,

Bill

Thank you!

3dcheapskate: the pulpomizer is really cool!

Post edited by Odaa on
  • Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621

Hmm ok count me in...

...and since this picture doesn't have anything to do with anything (especially not space) I will have to kindly ask the General not to touch my Fine Piece Of Art...

edited May 2019

To prove that the actually works...

Darn Google translate !

Render 1-EDIT.jpg
    823 x 823 - 97K
    Render 1-EDIT2.jpg
    823 x 823 - 91K
    edited May 2019

Hmm ok count me in...

...and since this picture doesn't have anything to do with anything (especially not space)...

Nothing to do with space ? But it's so clearly set on Endor - the Ewoks are simply hiding behind the trees... laugh

Edit: I see that this Space Opera has giants, fighting, and possibly true love?
    Maybe the spaceships are hiding behind the trees with the Ewoks ?

edited May 2019

Hmm ok count me in...

...and since this picture doesn't have anything to do with anything (especially not space)...

Nothing to do with space ? But it's so clearly set on Endor - the Ewoks are simply hiding behind the trees... laugh

Edit: I see that this Space Opera has giants, fighting, and possibly true love?
    Maybe the spaceships are hiding behind the trees with the Ewoks ?

Not saying you're wrong:)

Are you allowed more than one entry? If not, ask mr C-G to vapourize me.

Let's see how it goes...

Post edited by Sven Dullah on
    edited May 2019

Yes indeed, you're allowed as many entries as you want !

Although this new picture of yours would appear to have nothing to do with Space Opera, I can see past that clever bluff.
    True love, torture, and escapes (with chases, fencing, and fighting) are all clearly there.
    But you have to look very carefully in the top right to see the spacecraft full of giant monsters coming for revenge !

Thinks: I'm going to have to try and work out a way to stay out of the firing line when presenting entries to the Criticizer-General...

edited May 2019

Entry 2 - Sven Dullah#1:

...will it work ?

Render 1.jpg
    832 x 832 - 108K
    edited August 2020

FX: (The click-clack-click-clack of somebody on metal stilts walking across a marble floor, with echoes)

So honestly... who was expecting that ?

Footsteps-EDIT.jpg
    832 x 832 - 106K
    edited May 2019

You were probably expecting something more like this...

MoreLikeIt.jpg
    832 x 832 - 145K
    edited May 2019

I have to say that whatever vapourizer the Criticizer-General is using, it appears to be surprisingly precise. And clean.

Precise.jpg
    832 x 832 - 104K

So honestly... who was expecting that ?

Didn't see that coming, no...

You were probably expecting something more like this...

Uhmyeahblush

I have to say that whatever vapourizer the Criticizer-General is using, it appears to be surprisingly precise. And clean.

Agreed...he keeps it very clean too.

edited May 2019

Thinks: I wonder if all this stupid stuff is preventing sensible people from posting sensible 'Space Opera' pictures ?
    Maybe a pause in the stupidity for a couple of days is required ?

Calling all sensible people of the forums !

A moratorium has been called on the Cheapskate's stupidity.

You are now free to post sensible pictures without let or hindrance (or fear of the big CG) for the next 48 hours*.

That is all**. Thank you.

Addendum: Further good news for sensible people.The moratorium has been extended until Saturday 18th May 2019. That is all.

*The number of sensible pictures (if any) posted during the aforesaid period will determine how things proceed thereafter.

**Except to say that you (by which is meant anybody except the cheapskate) are still at liberty to post stupid pictures if you want

Mwa! Ha! Ha!

• RedfernRedfern Posts: 1,579

Lt. Mzzkiti is the lead character of a comical space opera series called "Freighter Tails", but from this render alone, one can only determine it may a "planetary romance". (Edgar Rice Burroughs' "Barsoom" novels are a prime example of this sub-genre.)

Still, I present it here to see how the Criticizer General might "assess" it. wink

Sincerely,

Bill