Atmocam2 [Commercial]

13»

Comments

• Okay no matter what I do, I can't get godrays to work even after reading the comments on these pages. I can't see what I'm missing. Can you post a sample project using default daz props so I can see where I went wrong? Thanks.

• SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,301

Here's a basic scene using G8F and the Rocker outfit and Toulouse hair that come with the DS starter kit.  It's just the atmosphere prop that comes with the Atmocam 2 set, and an added DS spotlight and a background made with a couple of planes.  You may want to hit the Default button in Iray render settings, and then turn down the Environment Intensity to zero.

The set includes some render settings that include an HDRI.  For godrays to be clearly visible, however, it's best to turn your environment lighting way down low or even off.  You also need pull back the spotlight a fair bit and narrow the beam, either from the light setting, like I did in this example, or by projecting it through a window or hole in the wall or ceiling or through a tree or something.

NB: When using an atmospheric prop like this, your scene will take a much longer time to converge than usual.   Don't be shy about stopping the render as soon as it looks right, rather than wait until it has completed.

zip
    zip
    Atmocam 2 Scene Example.duf.zip
    Atmocam 2 Example.jpg
    1108 x 1440 - 1000K
  • Thank you so much for taking the time to put the scene together and for the additional comments. I finally see the light, so to speak. It worked well within my own scenes, too.

• dawnbladedawnblade Posts: 1,723

Hey @Sevrin, I'm very surprised this works in 4.15, given the volumetric issues in the current version.

• SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,301
    edited January 2021

dawnblade said:

Hey @Sevrin, I'm very surprised this works in 4.15, given the volumetric issues in the current version.

Well,  it sort of works, as long as you don't look too carefully.  In close-ups, you can see problems with the hair, especially on the right side here.

Atomocam 2 Hair.png
    1108 x 1440 - 2M
    Post edited by Sevrin on
  • dawnbladedawnblade Posts: 1,723

Sevrin said:

dawnblade said:

Well,  it sort of works, as long as you don't look too carefully.  In close-ups, you can see problems with the hair, especially on the right side here.

Oh, there it is, thanks for pointing it out. Sure hope this is fixed ASAP!

• There is one problem that haunts me. This is the loss of detail on all objects in the frame. I agree that distant objects should lose detail. But, I don't want to put up with the fact that objects that are directly in front of the camera also lose detail. For example, the details on the texture of the skin. Without volumetric light, I usually have enough 2k-3k iterations. With Volumetric light, even 6k iterations are not enough to preserve the same details.

I can make 2 renderers. With and without volumetric light. This is suitable for a single image. But what if I'm going to do a 480 frame animation? For animation, I use 400-800 iterations without volumetric light. But with volumetric light, I'll have to increase the number of iterations to 5k or more ( I can't afford that).

I did some experiments. I tried placing the camera inside a volumetric sphere. The volumetric light continued to work, but it seems to be working incorrectly. Now it looks more like a haze in the whole frame. And in addition, the details are preserved throughout the entire distance from the camera.

I will be glad to hear your thoughts on this. Perhaps someone has come up with a trick to get around this problem. Oh, by the way, I tried lowering the volumetric density. It doesn't help. I am using Daz3d version 4.14.0.8

• HeckbarthHeckbarth Posts: 61
    edited March 2021

It'd be great to get at least a description in form of a readme file (like in AtmoCam 1).

This is still missing IMHO. I just can't figure out how to productively work with this product.

Purchasing a product to find out the producer says:

1) to get any information about how to use my product, pose a question in a forum (which actually needs to be found by noobs first)

2) to see how my promo renders were made, pose detailed questions,

isn't what I'd call customer oriented.

I don't want to reproduce promo renders, I need clear information what the individual items are meant to be used for and how the intended workflow looks like.

I want to read it ahead, then work with the product.

I just don't have the time to "explore" or "experience" a product, even if I wished so. And it's time I basically purchase when purchasing a product: it saves me the time to do it all on my own. Thus, I'd expect being able to work with a DAZ product as fast as possible.

I'd be extremely grateful if there was an explanation how to use this product after I merged AtmoCam2.duf into the scene.

I roughly understand that the size of the AtmoCam2 Volume affects the atmospheric lighting, but not, how to apply the materials, how and when the HDRI is meant to be used etc.

Is there any known basic information about this product I paid for? Again, I'd be extremely grateful.

Thank you.

Post edited by Heckbarth on