Atmocam2 [Commercial]

Comments

• MarshianMarshian Posts: 1,459
    That's right. Click the eye in scene tab to hide the prop from rendering
  • sandmanmaxsandmanmax Posts: 992
    Oso3D said:

Just hide the object creating haze or fog. :)

Ah.. Right... that would do it.

On a different note, does anybody know if there's anything special about the camera that's added?  I looked at in it comparison to my own cameras and it looks like a normal camera, set to 65mm focal length.

It's a normal camera but its location is useful when rendering some of the image effects like rain fog or fire. I placed the camera just outside the sphere where you won't see distortion of the image wrapping around

Oh, that would help, Marshian, thanks!  Also, are render times kind of long with Atmocam2?  I've got two or three of Jack Thomalin's buildings inside a dome to replicate the hazy-distant-building-look and I left it running for an hour and it was only 25% done. I've got 4gb GTX970 and 32gb on an I7 2600k 3.4ghz windows 10 desktop. Not very new but not dead yet.  And I was using the AtmoCam2 HDRI render settings.  It was looking pretty good, too.  I'll leave it running overnight but i was surprised how long it was taking.  (I'm still on DS 4.10 - maybe this will justify upgrading.  I hear render times have improved in 4.11)

edited June 2019
    Hi Sandman. As far as render times I've heard that it is faster. I've optimized a lot of the materials to be more efficient. But I haven't compared it to the 1st atmo cam as I have a new HP Omen 900 and it's pretty fast it almost everything. A trick that I use for all of my promos is to render it twice the size and keep the render time to what you're comfortable with then when you reduce it down to the size you need a lot of the grain seems to clear up. I think this is called downsampling so there's a search term for you to look up if you want to know more. Happy renders and let me know if you have any more questions. I'm happy to help
    Post edited by Marshian on

I'll try that.  Thanks.

• OdinVonDOdinVonD Posts: 243

Marshian, this product is amazing and I used it for at least 60% of my renders! Thank you so much! 

I had a question though: Sometimes I need to turn down the opacity of some parts of a model in order to only see the parts I want in a render. So the parts that are hidden are still there, but they are transparent. I notice that this creates a blur in the atmocam sphere. Do you know how I might get around that? 

Thanks! 

Screenshot (30)_LI.jpg
    1094 x 604 - 990K
    edited November 2019

Hi OdinVonD. I had to read this a couple times but with the image you included I have an idea. So for those parts the bone or eye in scene pane cannot be turned off/hidden? I haven't seen this before. My best guess is to let it render longer. I've also seen that for some objects with refraction it's not enough just to turn cutout/opacity to 0, you have to set refraction to default levels as well. My last guess is that sometimes hidden objects can still show if the is no 3d prop behind them if it's only an HDRI or you have Draw Dome (in render settings) turned off. Try some of these and post back here. Let me know what happens

• Payat ParinPayat Parin Posts: 980
    edited November 2019

Marshian, I did a ground fog test. No postwork involved. It seems to work but not optimal for me at this point.

How do I increase the density of the fog? Also, how do I make the edges irregular?

My settings: Nose degrain filtering: 2    Noise degrain radius: 15   Environment intensity: 0.64  SS haze: 2.0   Refraction weight: 1.0    Density: 0.0001

I've also chosen "density heavy" for it's material.

ground fog test.jpg
    3000 x 2308 - 6M
    Post edited by Payat Parin on
    edited November 2019

Hi Habulin Dati. The Atmocam2 prop is a sphere so the only way to make the edges irregular in DS is by using Dformers or by increasing displacement (wit the fog texture applied to the displacement channel). Neither of these is ideal. If you already have the "density heavy" preset applied the ways you could go heavier would be to increase SSS and/or sliding the refraction channel to the left. I can't tinker with this right now as I'm rendering. It does seem as though you render is not showing fog as thick as it should be with that preset. Try reducing the size of the atmocam2 prop until its borders are just outside of the camera view. Let me know what happens. 

Also, it looks as though you have the headlamp turned on, I'd turn that off (in render settings)

• Payat ParinPayat Parin Posts: 980
    edited November 2019

Thank you for the prompt response. I decreased the SSS direction to -1.00. It made the ground fog denser (I think). The headlamp was turned off too.

I should probably render from top view since I can't reshape the edges of the sphere.

What does the null 1 - 8 means under the Atmo border? Can I also create godrays arising from clouds or fogs using the same material?

Thanks so much for the responses.

ground fog test2.jpg
    3000 x 2308 - 6M
    Post edited by Payat Parin on

Glad you have some favorable results. The nulls create a border that helps you scale the AtmoCam2 prop into place since it is invisible in the working view.

You can create Godrays with a very bright point light or spotlight. Make sure you leave the light geometry set to "point". If you assign geometry to the light (sphere, rectangle, disk, etc.) it will diminish the effect. 

• MRGBMRGB Posts: 10

From the store page: "Specific atmospheric density is now very easy to control in the “density” channel by clicking through the 50 settings or by dragging the slider. If you need to go beyond these settings click parameters gear and uncheck “use limits”."

I can't find this. In Paramerters? Searching for density gives no result.

• dawnbladedawnblade Posts: 1,723

I found Density in the Surfaces tab. There are also density materials in the Materials folder for AtmoCam2.

Atmo2.jpg
    627 x 746 - 69K
    Thank you dawnblade! Hi MRGB. I'm watching this thread. Let me know if you have any more questions. Also, Using the auxview Port pane really helps with testing
  • Hi ! I’ve been playing around with Atmocam2 and looks great, but i can’t figure out how to hide the backgroud image from my render. 

I just want to see muy previous background image, not the one that is loaded with Atmocam.

How would i do that? 

Thanks

This preset will do that: AC2 !default (full reset) 

Hi ! I’ve been playing around with Atmocam2 and looks great, but i can’t figure out how to hide the backgroud image from my render. 

I just want to see muy previous background image, not the one that is loaded with Atmocam.

How would i do that? 

Thanks

• Thank you for replying,  Marshian.

I´ve already seen what is happening. I have a scene light by an HDR  image. I´ve put "Draw Dome OFF" and I have uploaded an image to act as a background image (in the Environment Tab). For some reason, when I activate "Atmocam2 Volume" what happens is I don´t see my backdrop image, but instead I see my HDR image, the one that is lighting the scene, even though "Draw Dome" is still OFF. 

Do you know what it´s happening?

I don't use the background image very often but what's happening is the hdri is still projecting light even though draw Dome is off. so you see that light hitting the atmosphere.
  • guru20guru20 Posts: 72

So, I bought this and it is pretty nice BUT I am not an expert at Daz (I have done some nice renders, but generally only using Sun-Sky environment mode)

One question I have is... how can I get god rays (sun streaks) silhouetting an object, but still allowing some illumination of the front of the object? When I put a spotlight behind the model, I get the god rays, but lose all details from the front (complete black silhouette)... if I try shining other lights on from front, they hit the refraction haze and cause problems that way. Is there a way to self-illuminate the model surfaces, or do a light that bypasses the fog/haze of the atmocam sphere?

DragonRays.png
    795 x 670 - 625K
    edited May 2020

Hi guru20. There are a few ways to do this, let's try the most simple first. Gradually increase the intensity of your environment lighting (works with both an HDRI or the built-in time of day lighting).

You could also try one of these:

• Placing a plane primitive behind your camera to bounce light back into the scene
    • Render the figure under normal lighting conditions, without the atmosphere, and combine with your God rays image an image editing program
    • In render settings, keep turning tone mapping (exposure value) down until you see light on the dark side of your figure

Let me know how it goes.

Thanks for the quick reply. I had thought about the bounced light from another surface... will give an HDRI a go first and see if that helps (when you say "time of day" lighting.. are you referring to the Sun-Sky environment mode? When I tried any modes other than Scene Only, it seemed to have problems due to rendering the sphere itself, but I will keep playing around with the different settings. Didn't know about the tone mapping / exposure setting)

Time of day is environment mode Dome and Scene with no HDRI (remove the map and these settings should show up. They have SS in the title.

There is an HDRI render setting I included with this set that should work for you, just turn the intensity way down. The render setting provides a nice soft ambient light

Marshian said:

Time of day is environment mode Dome and Scene with no HDRI (remove the map and these settings should show up. They have SS in the title.

There is an HDRI render setting I included with this set that should work for you, just turn the intensity way down. The render setting provides a nice soft ambient light

As a relative noob, I'm going to need a little more assistance... I found and applied the render setting, but can't find where I can adjust the intensity for it. 

The problem I keep getting, no matter which dome map I use, is that (a) there doesn't appear to be any ambient lighting showing, and (b) the haze of the entire sphere gets lit/rendered, instead of the model within:

Although... using lighter haze and adjusting some parameters is definitely getting me closer to my desired affect, so maybe if I just keep tweaking the parameters, I can find a happy medium (or something that will be workable for final polishing in Photoshop)

Great asset, and thanks for your help!

DragonRays2.png
    795 x 670 - 652K

In the render settings tab, environment intensity and/or environment map will adjust the brightness. Are you using the Aux Viewport tab to help you with test renders? You can leave this running while making adjustments. I think you're right, you'll just need to keep tweaking things. Since you have photoshop you could make three renders and blend them together:

1. Render background by itself, no atmo, no figures
    2. Render the figure with atmo sphere, with draw dome turned off, and save as png
    3. Render the figure with front lighting, no atmo, save as png

Great recommendations, thanks. Here's the other boneheaded thing I wasn't thinking about, so I'm going to leave this here for anybody else who finds this thread:
    The effect is volumetric, so scale and depth matter! I had my model rather modestly scaled, and placed into the center of the sphere... which put a good deal of distance (and hence more refraction/haze) between the model and my camera. I think playing with the scale and distance into sphere -- along with the other settings you recommended -- will get me where I need to go. I'll post the final image here once it's done!

True. Here's a working view of my main promo showing distances and the spotlight lumens. The Atmocam2 sphere is at 100% scale but as you can see by the wireframe most of the sphere is behind the figure. You may get different results playing with the scale of the sphere too and its placement. If most of the sphere was behind the camera instead, more of my background image would show. 

Annotation 2020-05-20 122838.jpg
    1279 x 569 - 103K

I rendered the main promo from outside the sphere. You can see in the promo image that front light is hitting the figure and wings, this is purely from the HDRI. 

https://www.daz3d.com/atmocam2

Atmocam2 marshian daz3d.png
    1300 x 1000 - 1M

Thanks for all the help! It takes a bit of tweaking, for sure... in the end, the thick density gives the best rays but doesn't expose the background as much as I'd like, so I will probably do some photoshop layering and blending to complete the process and hopefully get just the right exposure level for background + model + god rays. 

I did not even know about using the aux view window for preview rendering. What a life saver!

Finished my composition! It is not 100% how I had envisioned (not 100% realistic), but I'm pleased with how it turned out... (might tweak more later. I am not a photoshop pro)

Sharir, the Darkness. Rising from the pools of Iz-Tanin

Sharir.jpg
    798 x 758 - 235K