I Forgot What My Complaint Was - Complaint Thread

Comments

• SummerhorseSummerhorse Posts: 684
    Mystarra said:

kyoto kid said:

I knew a really good concert pianist who performed professionally and even made a couple of recordings in NYC, and I loved his skill at Beethoven, Chopin, and Rachmaninoff so I asked him to play a little of his own music for me.  I asked him to play his stuff that he plays when he's just playing for fun?  He didn't have any.surprise  I was shocked and disappointed that someone this good on the keyboard didn't make his own music.  It's like finding out that a fine artist was just painting by numbers. sad

Then their are people like Julius Baker, who has phrasing and tone that is so compelling and beautiful that other flutists versions of the same piece feel rushed and lifeless. He did not write music but it lived a fresh and glorius life of his own when he played it:

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,560
    edited March 2019
    kyoto kid said:

...just got done listening to this one organist in France who is an improvisationalist.  Totally blown away as she creates real music instead of random noise like most others do when they improvise today.  She also looked like she was having fun as well. 

Didn't cough a lick while listening.  

Music really does have that soothing power. Well, off to bed but not before taking my medicine. Hopefully I'll sleep better tonight.

True about the music vs noise.  There is sometimes a couple minute place in some piano concertos where the pianist is permitted (but not required) by the composer's notes to insert an improvisation without the orchestra.  I think it's called a "recitatif"? (somebody please correct me if I'm wrong)  Some pianists don't don't bother or can't but some of them do and they shouldn't.surprise  When the pianist is also the composer the improvisation can be incredible as he lets loose his muse, free from the frozen notes on the page and lets the unpublished fragments of his mental music explode in unfettered fireworks for our unique in time and space enjoyment.  Some great pianists also know a particular composer's style so well that they can successfully improvise and play with the composer's music.smiley  But I've been victim to a few performances where the pianist was out his his league and just didn't have it.  And shouldn't have tried.  It's like watching a beautiful high definition color movie and all of a sudden a grainy black and white home movie is cut into the middle of it.  The difference is like day and night.sad 

I as merely a frustrated amateur pianist could play parts of Beethoven's, Chopin's, and Rachmaninoff's music but I played my best and most freely when I was playing my own music.  It was simple music and wasn't great but it was well executed and was mine and it was different everytime as I tapped into my little rivulet of the stream of music from the cosmic consciousness.  It was the best I could play and there were no mistakes because whatever came out was what I worked with for the next cycle around a few moments later.  Great fun. yes  But I knew when to not get a swelled head about it.  I played to my heart's content only when in private but would, when asked, play a small sample for others.indecision

I knew a really good concert pianist who performed professionally and even made a couple of recordings in NYC, and I loved his skill at Beethoven, Chopin, and Rachmaninoff so I asked him to play a little of his own music for me.  I asked him to play his stuff that he plays when he's just playing for fun?  He didn't have any.surprise  I was shocked and disappointed that someone this good on the keyboard didn't make his own music.  It's like finding out that a fine artist was just painting by numbers. sad

...ah Richard, thank you.

Yes I've heard both great as well as some really awful ones.

Interesting not in Bach's Brandenburg #3 after the first moment there is a simple cadence which leads into the last one. in this work he intended the continuo player to improvise the second slow movement as a harpsichord solo.  Not many today have been up to the task but I heard two that were very well done and fit with the style of the work.

I like to feel that thoughtful improvisation is somewhat a lost art, just banging on the keys is not music (I've heard so many who basically did that and called it improvisation). My improvisations on the piano tended to be late romantic to impressionistic. in their style. Same for those on the organ though with a touch of Mr. Messiaen on occasion.  Improvisation is the foundation of composition and all of the great composers were usually very good at it.  Cesar Franck was said to have been phenomenal, as one biographer noted there was so much great music of his lived an died within the walls of Saint Clotilde never to be heard again. When Liszt was in Paris he would go listen to Franck improvise and was astounded by the Belgian born organist's musical extemporisations.  Wish I had a real WABAC machine. 

Post edited by kyoto kid on

Non-complaint:  Wheee... it's a bright sunny morning after weeks of overcast days, and my kitchen windowsill prisms are in their glory.  While the sun was still low in the sky the spectrum from my 6 inch vertical triangular prism was 5 inches in height and 4 inches wide and was projected high on my white refrigerator door.  It shortened and widened as the sun rose.  The tri-color beam(s) from my cubical prism could be found in several places in the kitchen and through the door into the dark livingroom.  And the random scatterings from the two faceted glass stoppers in the oil and vinegar cruets were sprinkled all over the kitchen.  Wheee..., morning fireworks! yes

...nice.

...well, the elixir seems to be doing it's job, actually got some decent sleep.  Still sore form two days of constant coughing but hopefuly that should subside soon. 

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,163
    edited March 2019
    kyoto kid said:

Cadenza. Many recent concertos (last couple of centureis) provide composed cadenzas but older ones mostly leave it to the performaer, though for many later performers or editors have since written sections that many performers use rather than improvise.

Ah, "cadenza", yes.  Chalk another one up to ancient brain syndrome. sad  Thank you. yes  No wonder the definition I found for "recitatif" didn't jibe with my memory.frown

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on

...ugh so much for the "nice weather" predicted for the coming week.  Still supposed to be warm but won't feel like it as an advisory for strong east winds (from the colder interior of the state) was just posted today which is to last until Wednesday.  Winter is clinging on with it's icy fingernails.

...ugh 'Plaint.  Everything on my system seems to be going in slow motion today. Cleared all my cache, cleared cookies, got rid of trash files, cleaned the registry, shut down ad restarted yet still dealing with ungodly slowness.  Clicked on the computer icon to check drive space on C: and all it did was sit there "loading" with a blank window .When I aborted that and got the directory tree clicking on the icon there threw it into a prolonged "search".  Why would it have to do a search to simply open a directory?  I get the same thing happening when I right click on items to check details, attributes, & such as well.  Very annoying. 

Wondering if I accidentally didn't trip some sort of setting somehow that is causing this and if there is a way to turn it off.

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,678

I feel like the staff of the house “won” as I feel like it is time for me to find a new home.  I feel unwanted and unwelcomed now since I cannot seem to do the right thing.

edited March 2019

...well was able to finally check drive space and I have 100GB (out of 232GB) on C: so lack of space shouldn't be the issue causing this.  Chrome certainly doesn't take up that much.  Beginning to bog down on me like FF would do.

edited March 2019

...well there may be an explanation for the online woes, as now my connection keeps flaking out.  Left a couple messages with my ISP's tech support.

Not having a very good day today.

kyoto kid said:

...been having a devil of a time now as my connection keeps flaking out.  Left a couple messages with my ISP's tech support.

Not having a very good day today.

You too?  I thought I was the only one not having a very good day today.

...it's been pretty bad.  Just had another outage a few moments ago.  Bad enough I'm not feeling well but having to endure this kind of rubbish just makes everything seem worse. Been trying to download and install more content but every time these connectivity blackouts occur, the DIM is interrupted and resets itself or just gives me a partial listing of what I need to download.

edited March 2019

...bugger it all, it's 69° out right now, going to head out for a bit and hope all this nonsense sorts itself out.  Big winds won't start up until tonight so I'll at least get a bit of a nice afternoon. Time for a cuppa joe and sitting in the sun.

I cannot seem to load LaFemme right now.  I am also having difficulty downloading any files on my computer as they keep failing,

edited March 2019

Non-complaint:  While mindlessly browsing YouTube on my TV I let it suggest some music and it came up with this.  I hadn't heard it in several years and it's just 15 minutes of playful fun music to DAZ by.

Frederic Chopin: "Krakowiak" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOyTFZ3gkVY   The beginning is strangely captivating, and the playfulness changes mood a few times, particularly at 2:10, 5:25, 7:28, 8:35, 11:36

Frederic Chopin: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fr%C3%A9d%C3%A9ric_Chopin

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
    edited March 2019

...well received a call back from my ISP, seems I'm not the only one dealing with these frequent intermittent outages. they are working on it and hope to get whatever is causing this resolved by tomorrow. 

Other than that, had a lovely day sitting in the sun stipping a couple pints as well as a glass of Irish Whiskey to celebrate the day (Powers Irsh Whiskey, the "working person's" whiskey).

[Please excuse any typos, the forum spell check doesn't seem to want to work tonight and I'm not about to copy everything over to Word and back every time.]

ETA

...ugh it feels like the old "dial up" days tonight.  Where's my old 300 baud acoustic modem?  So much for downloading and installing any more content.  I'd go to the backups with the BitRock installers but then that just screws up the Daz database as none of that has any metadata.

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

cho's club gone a wandering

• starionwolfstarionwolf Posts: 3,666

My mom wants me to find a job now.  She wants me to apply in person.  The only problem is I have not finished studying for the field that I am interested in.

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,312

My mom wants me to find a job now.  She wants me to apply in person.  The only problem is I have not finished studying for the field that I am interested in.

Perhaps you could find some part time work that fits in around your study sessions.

...well, another day and another morning of service outages. I contacted the ISP again and found out the actual cause.  Apparently a construction site put up one of those tower cranes which just happens to be in the line of sight of two of their repeater units so it is causing intermittent blockages of signal for a good part of the city centre.  One would think that said construction company would have considered this when setting up (there is a thing called "easements" which also applies to wireless signals today), and at least contacted different communications services in advance so that temporary solutions could have been put into place beforehand instead of messing things up for thousands of people in the heart of the city.  The worst part, they likely are building just another over priced condo or apartment tower.

So still have a bunch of emails to sift though (can barely read one before I get a "No Net Service" message and see the little yellow triangle on the connectivity icon in the lower right corner).

Apparently The ISP is in the process of setting up a temporary relay to bypass the situation but that will likely take the rest of the day.  Again, so much for getting more files downloaded and installed as I'll lkely be "knee deep" in emails by the time this gets resolved.  Unfortunately it's windy today otherwise I'd go out to a coffee shop or to the park to sit in the sun for a while until it gets fixed.

Fraggin' annoying, May as well go back to bed

edited March 2019

tee hee many chuckles  celine dee-on calls dead pool spiderman

i mean i still love spiderman vuy antman has taken that niche in my heart.

just noticed he's dancing in like 5 inch heels

Post edited by Mistara on
    Mystarra said:

tee hee many chuckles  celine dee-on calls dead pool spiderman

Just goes to show that celebrity and money is no guarantee to knowing what's important in the world. indecision

...well the connectivity finally issue was dealt with. Had to slog through a bunch of backed up emails. when I got home after a trip to the market (braving the gusty winds that wanted to separate me from my hat and made it feel 10° - 15° chillier than it should have been). I think the ISP should get the contractor to cover our charges for the month for not checking with them ahead or time to see if their crane would have interfered with service.

Maybe the house will catch on fire and I burn up with my fish.  Maybe that will make the house lady happy.  She would not have to work at this house no more.  Not going to start the fire though.

I got a bad headache but there is nothing I can do about it now.

i'm confused by the x-men time line.  just watched the future/past one.

Dead Pool mentioned they killed off wolverine?  which movie did that happen?

in Xmen Apocalypse, they released wolverine from a holding tank.  WHen was he put into that?

Striker was busy at end of woverine origins.  wolverine's time line is soo confusing

Mystarra said:

in Xmen Apocalypse, they released wolverine from a holding tank.  WHen was he put into that?

Striker was busy at end of woverine origins.  wolverine's time line is soo confusing

Have you seen Logan?

Mystarra said:

Have you seen Logan?

not yet.  i dont want to watch it if ko's in it.  want to remember him as happy go lucky

I think I got a mini migraine.  I am afraid to ask for a pain killer because I am afraid that they will think I am faking it to get out of doing anything.

ginger teaheartcheeky

This discussion has been closed.