Headshop 11 Questions

Comments

• outrider42outrider42 Posts: 3,679

It depends on the source picture you use. Sometimes it blends ok, sometimes not (more often not). When it does not blend, there is no choice but to use an editor to try to fix it. There are numerous ways to tackle it, and these may not be the best ways. In GIMP or PS you can paint with low opacity over the face to get it to match, then use the heal tool to blend in the edges. Another way is to open the face twice as two layers, use any option to tint one image, and then copy or heal the altered portion over the original face image. Either way can work.

• Hey all, I'm playing around with Headshop and having fun, but wow, the skin color on the imported head looks NOOOOOTHING like the skin on the rest of the Gen8 body. (For some context, I've used Daz off and on for a long time, but I always end up having to take long breaks, so I never feel like I know enough about what I'm doing. There might be an easy answer, and this might be a dumb question!!) I can post a pic of my result later.. when the computer decides to cooperate.... But for now, what have people done to try to match those skin colors/tones when they end up being radically different for the head/face and body?

I would open up the face texture file with Photoshop and change the overall hue in the many tools Photoshop provides. Then apply the newly saved texture faile to the face in DAZ Studio

• dragotxdragotx Posts: 1,134

It depends on the source picture you use. Sometimes it blends ok, sometimes not (more often not). When it does not blend, there is no choice but to use an editor to try to fix it. There are numerous ways to tackle it, and these may not be the best ways. In GIMP or PS you can paint with low opacity over the face to get it to match, then use the heal tool to blend in the edges. Another way is to open the face twice as two layers, use any option to tint one image, and then copy or heal the altered portion over the original face image. Either way can work.

Could you also just apply another character's skin materials once you load the headshop character into Studio to start working on your scene?
  • donovancolbertdonovancolbert Posts: 1,421

Using the actual skin mat from the person you are trying to model is usually pretty important to getting an accurate likeness. 

I picked up Headshop Oneclick a while back and was disappointed with the same issue. I see it here in some of the example characters posted too. The face looks "painted on", or you can tell the source image was strongly lighted from one direction. 

I later on picked up Facegen Pro - which actually creates an entire full body mat for characters and avoids this "clown-face" problem that Headshop seems to suffer. 

Usually I just use Facegen Pro and call it a day. I keep exploring the reviews on this product to see if it is improved in this regard, but it doesn't really sound like it. Occasionally - I'll use Headshop Oneclick to create the morph and then use a skin map generated by Facegen. A neutral expression image in neutral lighting like a passport photo is always where you are going to get your best results. 

• ParadigmParadigm Posts: 421

I later on picked up Facegen Pro - which actually creates an entire full body mat for characters and avoids this "clown-face" problem that Headshop seems to suffer. 

And for that reason alone it's the only biometric style face product I'll purchase. Head clones are useless if it looks super fake because the rest of the body doesn't match and having everyone wearing turtlenecks limits usage lol. That being said I've only ever gotten one good result using it (I made myself) and there's still a nasty seam in the armpit for me. 

• donovancolbertdonovancolbert Posts: 1,421

Yeah. I am really surprised that the author released a new version and didn't address that. To me it is the biggest major liability Headshop has compared to Facegen and I agree, it makes Headshop a non-starter for me. 

edited April 2019

Hey all, I'm playing around with Headshop and having fun, but wow, the skin color on the imported head looks NOOOOOTHING like the skin on the rest of the Gen8 body. (For some context, I've used Daz off and on for a long time, but I always end up having to take long breaks, so I never feel like I know enough about what I'm doing. There might be an easy answer, and this might be a dumb question!!) I can post a pic of my result later.. when the computer decides to cooperate.... But for now, what have people done to try to match those skin colors/tones when they end up being radically different for the head/face and body?

I would open up the face texture file with Photoshop and change the overall hue in the many tools Photoshop provides. Then apply the newly saved texture faile to the face in DAZ Studio

Photoshop is not a free program, and many users may not know how to use it, either. Its strange that you market Headshop as being very easy to use with its one click ability, yet also expect those customers to know how to use external software to solve problems like this. I have used GIMP for years, and even though I consider myself "ok" at it, the task of fixing these textures can take some time to get right with lots of trial and error. Facegen handles this better, it is certainly not perfect, but it makes an attempt at it and it works alright.

I want to like Headshop, I really really do. It has promise, and it does do some unique things. But it still has some really glaring issues. You still have not directly addressed some of the issues I raised in my last review after the update, they are right here on page 3 of this thread. There are still UV problems where the texture leaves a nasty line at the seam. The morph can actually effect the entire body. This is somewhat subtle, but it gets worse as the morph gets dialed up higher. Regardless of how subtle it is, this should not happen, period.

World's_Edge said they didn't notice this, but I can see it quite clearly. Look at this pic:

Notice the gap between the front teeth, and how strange and goofy the teeth look in general. That is because the teeth are actually shrinking and deforming with the head morph shape! The more it gets dialed in, the more noticeable this gets. I have also seen that the eyelashes on Genesis 8 do not conform to the face morph at all. The eyelashes do not move with morph, and this winds up messing things up bad. You MUST turn the eyelashes off as a result. And if you look at this man close, you will notice he has no eyelashes at all. They are painted on by the texture.

dragotx said:

Could you also just apply another character's skin materials once you load the headshop character into Studio to start working on your scene?

Of course, you can apply any texture just like you can for any other Daz Genesis based character. But in doing so you probably create a whole different person. This may be ok if your goal is purely making unique characters, but if you are trying to capture a specific person's likeness, odds are you lose that.

Post edited by outrider42 on
  • PetercatPetercat Posts: 2,315

Well, I'm having fun installing this. Any suggestions?

Headshop Error.png
    1284 x 756 - 80K
    I remember this. The default install location is not a real location. Notice how the path named in the error has a funny name? That is a temp folder you cannot install to. You need to locate the install to the same drive that Daz is on.
  • PetercatPetercat Posts: 2,315
    I remember this. The default install location is not a real location. Notice how the path named in the error has a funny name? That is a temp folder you cannot install to. You need to locate the install to the same drive that Daz is on.

That worked. Thank you.
    Where can I find a manual? The included manual won't open in my browser, Firefox.

I don't remember. The app has a guide as you use it. There may be a link from the app itself to a full one.

I wouldn't worry too much, because adjusting the sliders or dots usually resulted in more problems that anything else. Just let the autodots do their thing and transfer back to Daz. If you just use the autodots the process is very simple and fast. To be blunt, messing with the deeper functions and Headshop dials resulted in glitches, often deforming the head without a way to revert unless you restart the app.

You start Headshop from inside Daz itself. I can't remember which menu it is under at the moment, it is not like the Hexagon bridge. Once you find it and are ready to start, you must name your model BEFORE you start Headshop. This threw me for a bit because I am not in the habit using Facegen. I often do not know what I might name my model until I am done with it, so this goes against my nature. I forgot to do it, and I ended up with models under the default name.

• "You start Headshop from inside Daz itself. I can't remember which menu it is under at the moment, it is not like the Hexagon bridge. Once you find it and are ready to start, you must name your model BEFORE you start Headshop."

Not true. Don't have to name anything. Just start HeadShop from the Edit menu and it is all automatic. When you finished, again, don't have to do anything. HeadShop closes and your shape/texture is transfered to the model on stage.

edited May 2019

"You start Headshop from inside Daz itself. I can't remember which menu it is under at the moment, it is not like the Hexagon bridge. Once you find it and are ready to start, you must name your model BEFORE you start Headshop."

Not true. Don't have to name anything. Just start HeadShop from the Edit menu and it is all automatic. When you finished, again, don't have to do anything. HeadShop closes and your shape/texture is transfered to the model on stage.

However, if you choose not to name anything you are stuck with a morph and texture named "fs". I don't think most people want that.

More over, if you create another HS character with the same name, it overwrites the previous one! So if you go to create another character without changing the default name of "fs", then your previous "fs" will be replaced by the new one.

So to say that it is not true that people do not have to name anything, this is a bit misleading.

Post edited by outrider42 on
  • AnimAnim Posts: 241

May I ask if a runtime at a non default location is possible now ?

And in general, those of you who are using it, would you recommend it at the sale price of $44.98 ?

Yes, you can change the location. In fact the current version requires you to pick a place to install.

Take a look at page 3 where I made several long review posts. Those points all still stand, both good and bad. I still prefer Facegen, and you'll see my direct comparisons in this thread. But I might use Headshop at times.

Thanks outrider42.

In your comparison you write:

"... photos that do not use smiles. When dialing the morph in, the head moves down the neck."

Is this also still an issue? 

Ok,

anyway bought it.

Arghh, just read in the manual that:

""Make sure that your DAZ Studio Temp and DSON Preferences are set to Default"

I use custom locations for the cache dirs.

Can you confirm that headshop does not work in that case?

I stopped getting notifications of replies for some reason, sorry for the belated response.

I cann't confirm custom cache as I don't do that. I do have different folder locations than default and had no issue there.

And yes, unless there has been a stealth update, the seam issue I descibed still remains. To be perfectly honest I have reverted back to Facegen for when I want to make a face from a photo simply because FG does not have all of these issues. If I use HS I do so only for the texture, which I then take and edit into a different texture.

• msep_aec684d3fdmsep_aec684d3fd Posts: 32
    edited July 2019

Here is the issue I am having.

I received error messages consistently when trying to install DAZ Studio 4.11 and had to install to a custom location C:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio43.

I tried installing HeadShop to that directory and HeadShop didn't work--didn't appear in the edit menu. 

I looked at the manual. The manual has numerous errors in it. For example, Chapter 4 is supposed to have information for what to do for a non-standard install. There is no Chapter 4. Chapter 5 has installation information that is contradictory.

First, the chapter says that the HeadShop files will be installed into a DAZ 3D folder inside the DAZ 3D folder (C:/Program Files/DAZ3D/DAZ3D). There is no such folder in 4.11. I created one and installed to it. Obviously, it is empty because I had to create it and I'm not going to move Daz Studio's main files around because it was hard enough for me to get the program to work properly without moving locations that will screw it up.

Then later in the manual, in the illustrations provided, the destination folder appears to be C:Program Files/DAZ3D, where the HeadShop files will exist in a folder alongside (not inside) the DAZStudio4 folder (for me, the DAZStudio43). I installed to that location and the plugin does not appear. So I have three installations of this program, none of which work, none of which show up in the Edit menu.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/uploads/thumbnails/FileUpload/15/4a1bc10934fcbdf0a7548fb08aff8b.jpg

capture_003_24072019_122827.jpg
    919 x 692 - 304K
    Post edited by msep_aec684d3fd on
  • msep_aec684d3fdmsep_aec684d3fd Posts: 32
    edited July 2019

Never mind. I fixed the situation. In looking in the HeadShop plugin folder created by the installer, it has another "HeadShop plugin" folder inside that has the contents that were supposed to appear in the first folder, but for some reason, the installer installs two plugin folders, one inside the other. The installer also installs a DAZStudio4 folder INSIDE the Headshop plugin folder with files that need to go in the main DAZStudio4 (or in my case, DAZStudio43) folder. The installer is causing problems because it isn't putting files where they need to go. I moved the files to their correct locations and solved the issue.

Post edited by msep_aec684d3fd on
  • masep - there are specific installation notes in README and in Manual. The mistake is usually made when identifying the install destination folder.

• edited October 2019
    hello everyone, I have a problem, I hope you can help me ... I downloaded this program ... everything seemed ok .. I create my model .. I close headshop and open daz. .. when I try to import the texture of the model I created ,it doesn t find any texture folder (lips, face, eyes, etc.) ... not only ... even any file doesn't let me select it anymore .... why?
    Post edited by bartolicristiano_52bc7e73bb on

You need to have Daz Studio running. Don't use Headshop's exe, you start Headshop from inside Daz. I forget which menu it is under. First have your base character in the scene, then start Headshop from Daz. Do your thing in Headshop, when done it will automatically go on the figure you have in the scene.

You can also find your texture in the Windows temp folder, if it is still there.

• You need to have Daz Studio running. Don't use Headshop's exe, you start Headshop from inside Daz. I forget which menu it is under. First have your base character in the scene, then start Headshop from Daz. Do your thing in Headshop, when done it will automatically go on the figure you have in the scene.

You can also find your texture in the Windows temp folder, if it is still there.

but I have a mac ... not so if it is the same thing. I tried a rate this way too, but the plug-in fails to start up and tells me that the headshop has closed for me to manage the file

Its important to disclose you have a Mac when trouble shooting because they are so different, and sometimes the problem is because it is a Mac. Most people use PC here, and that is going to be the assumption if you don't disclose it.

There is a video for using the Mac version.

However, I noticed this video is actually filmed running in a Windows environment, LOL. So I am not sure how helpful it may be.

So Headshop cannot be run from Daz using a Mac? In my Daz Studio, I can hit the Edit button at the top and "Start Headshop" is at the bottom of the menu. From there everything is automatic.

Anyway, I don't know Mac, if you keep having trouble, you can try either contacting info_b3470fa520 (the maker of Headshop) or file a support ticket to Daz. 

Which on that note, info______ should really change their Dazs forum name to Abalone LLC. <.<

• info_b3470fa520info_b3470fa520 Posts: 880
    edited November 2019

Its important to disclose you have a Mac when trouble shooting because they are so different, and sometimes the problem is because it is a Mac. Most people use PC here, and that is going to be the assumption if you don't disclose it.

There is a video for using the Mac version.

However, I noticed this video is actually filmed running in a Windows environment, LOL. So I am not sure how helpful it may be.

So Headshop cannot be run from Daz using a Mac? In my Daz Studio, I can hit the Edit button at the top and "Start Headshop" is at the bottom of the menu. From there everything is automatic.

Anyway, I don't know Mac, if you keep having trouble, you can try either contacting info_b3470fa520 (the maker of Headshop) or file a support ticket to Daz. 

Which on that note, info______ should really change their Dazs forum name to Abalone LLC. <.<

HeadShop 11 Mac does NOT run inside DAZ Studio, period. It was designed as a standalone, that produces files that can be applied to DAZ figures, similar to FaceGen. The video makes it ample clear, sorry if this missed your attentionsmiley

Post edited by info_b3470fa520 on
  • You need to have Daz Studio running. Don't use Headshop's exe, you start Headshop from inside Daz. I forget which menu it is under. First have your base character in the scene, then start Headshop from Daz. Do your thing in Headshop, when done it will automatically go on the figure you have in the scene.

but I have a mac ... not so if it is the same thing. I tried a rate this way too, but the plug-in fails to start up and tells me that the headshop has closed for me to manage the file

HeadShop 11 Mac is a Standalone. It DOES NOT start inside DAZ Studio. You simply start the app from the Mac Application Folder and run it. When you finish, you click Export and export OBJ and JPG files in a project folder you create. After opening DAZ Studio and placing the right character on stage (G2, 3 or 8), you import the OBJ files via Morphloader Pro and the JPG files via Surfaces.

Please watch the "How-to" video or read the manual. They represent valuable information that was developed exactly to help you understand how to use the product.

• Hello.

Does anyone experienced Headshop 12 (either for Gen 3 or Gen 8) to have better results than the previous versions? And I mean REALLY better results.

imo the Headshop plugin is actually a bit of a dissapointment .   :(

• videoninja719videoninja719 Posts: 343
    edited February 2020

Hello.

Does anyone experienced Headshop 12 (either for Gen 3 or Gen 8) to have better results than the previous versions? And I mean REALLY better results.

imo the Headshop plugin is actually a bit of a dissapointment .   :(

i have it but not installed still running 11 and just started using it actually. the app is interesting and the ease of use, time saving are some of its strong points. If the dev can actually come with a solution to blending the face texture and body texture nicely, i think it will be a game changer.

Post edited by videoninja719 on