• AgitatedRiotAgitatedRiot Posts: 4,234

WendyLuvsCatz said:

avid cadaver?

Sire, You're on Fire?? 

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,005

WendyLuvsCatz said:

avid cadaver?

Pretty much.

According to J.K. Rowling... the killing curse... one of the three "unforgivable curses"... the other two being Cruciatus (the "torture" or excruciating pain curse) and Fartiartus (the really smelly fart curse)...

I think... maybe the last one wasn't Fartiartus... but either way, all the stuff in Harry Potter tends to be what it sounds like... the names of things and people usually end up being self explanatory... like "Cruciatus" sounds like "excruciating" and it deals with pain... "Confundo" sounds like "Confound" and is a confusion spell... most stuff is like that.

Not a lot of deep meaning Latin going on there.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,585

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,839

I will admit to not really having watched much Harry Potter blush

and read none

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,174

The entirety of my interaction with the Harry Potter franchise is buying Chamber of Secrets in Korean and abandoning it a few pages in when I realized how much trouble it would be to distinguish between a Korean word I just wasn't familiar with and a made-up word. 

For a year or two my daughters were very into Harry Potter... but they "Discovered" it a few years after the last film, mainly because they were too young when it was really popular... I probably wouldn't have known much about it either if they hadn't liked it so much.

But the Harry Potter series is definitely good for lots of pop culture references and jokes.

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,176
    edited April 2022

WendyLuvsCatz said:

I will admit to not really having watched much Harry Potter blush

and read none

I discovered the first Harry Potter book in my doctor's waiting room.  I got through about half of the first chapter before the doctor was ready for me.  But I was hooked.  Despite me being over a half century old at the time and it being about grade-school kids, I was hooked.  I read the first four, but had access to the audio books for the last three.  I love the movies (very well done) and it's so nice to see the good finally defeat the evil.  And except for that last part, a very good spotlight on growing up in a dangerous world.indecision

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • TorquinoxTorquinox Posts: 2,583

Thanks to my offspring, I've seen all the movies - Some of them more than once! surprise Some of the VFX are gorgeous.

...woohoo, killed a thread over on the Daz Studio Discussion forum.  Did so with actual helpful linformation.  

kyoto kid said:

...woohoo, killed a thread over on the Daz Studio Discussion forum.  Did so with actual helpful linformation.  

amature cheeky

• tsroemitsroemi Posts: 2,384

I'll have to chime in here now too, killed a thread I'd started myself yesterday - JUST BY POSTING IT! Was taken down before anyone had a chance to answer. Now THAT'S efficiency! winkdevil

...yeah, the one I killed had only one reply (mine).

the real challenge is to start a killer thread devil

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,705

I feel like there are a couple joy killers in my life.  Not sure if they are doing that on purpose or what?

WendyLuvsCatz said:

the real challenge is to start a killer thread devil

Like a thread that kills other threads?... or just one that kills the people who read it?... I'm pretty sure my posts have killed a few people... gave them an aneurism or their eyeballs fell out... once your eyeballs fall out, you're pretty much guaranteed to go right out a window or fall into an industrial meat grinder.

it could act as a garrote enlightened

• Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621

There was this Swedish guy, a Finnish guy and a Norwegian guy. They...oh never mind, forgot about the forum rules..

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,176

Sven Dullah said:

There was this Swedish guy, a Finnish guy and a Norwegian guy. They...oh never mind, forgot about the forum rules..

I've heard it.cheeky 

edited May 2022

I have 9% Swedish and 3% Norwegian in me apparently, no Finnish cheeky

I am not sure what that has to do with anything

I am mostly Baltic and Eastern European which I already knew before the DNA test so no surprises

I just watched seasons 1 & 2 of Vikings so guess that was from the bit that went with pillage and plunder before they moved West surprise

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,346

McGyver said:

Sfariah said:

Why do some movies have a fake ending in the midd Of the movie, but the viewer realizes too much time is left in movie for it to be a real ending?

Somebody I used to know actually fell for that and left the movie theater because they didn't like the ending... I forget what movie, and exactly who it was that did that, but I remember them telling a bunch of folks years later what a bad movie it was and everyone being surprised because it had a happy ending and the fake ending was really obviously not the end... and the person being shocked that it had like 45 minutes left to the movie and it was a good ending... They were like "it seemed kinda short" and everyone was like "yeah, what movie is an hour and ten minutes long?".

And now I'm curious what movie that was. ???

edited May 2022

FirstBastion said:

McGyver said:

Sfariah said:

Why do some movies have a fake ending in the midd Of the movie, but the viewer realizes too much time is left in movie for it to be a real ending?

Somebody I used to know actually fell for that and left the movie theater because they didn't like the ending... I forget what movie, and exactly who it was that did that, but I remember them telling a bunch of folks years later what a bad movie it was and everyone being surprised because it had a happy ending and the fake ending was really obviously not the end... and the person being shocked that it had like 45 minutes left to the movie and it was a good ending... They were like "it seemed kinda short" and everyone was like "yeah, what movie is an hour and ten minutes long?".

That one I can't remember... I'm basically remembering "about it" not the specific movie... Next time I see my friend I'll ask and see if he remembers, he's better at remembering movies (plus I'm pretty it's his sister-in-law that did that)... But another example was someone I worked with who was watching The Sixth Sense who left the movie early thinking the kid's issue were solved after the scene with the school play... they missed the talk with the mom and the big reveal at the end... I don't get it when people do that, there was at least fifteen minutes to a half hour left at that point... what are you thinking that remaining time will be filled with... the kid eating soup?

Post edited by McGyver on

LeatherGryphon said:

Sven Dullah said:

I've heard it.cheeky 

Hehe I doubt it, it's a true storydevil

WendyLuvsCatz said:

I have 9% Swedish and 3% Norwegian in me apparently, no Finnish cheeky

Well that explains your posts count thenlaugh

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,018

McGyver said:

FirstBastion said:

McGyver said:

Sfariah said:

That one I can't remember... I'm basically remembering "about it" not the specific movie... Next time I see my friend I'll ask and see if he remembers, he's better at remembering movies (plus I'm pretty it's his sister-in-law that did that)... But another example was someone I worked with who was watching The Sixth Sense who left the movie early thinking the kid's issue were solved after the scene with the school play... they missed the talk with the mom and the big reveal at the end... I don't get it when people do that, there was at least fifteen minutes to a half hour left at that point... what are you thinking that remaining time will be filled with... the kid eating soup?

I fail to what your being pretty has to do with it, though. 

Glad McGyver thinks he is pretty.
  • FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,346

TJohn said:

I'm pretty sure there's a "sure" missing.

I was thinking of researching something while taking a shower but now I forgot what it was.
  • GordigGordig Posts: 9,174

FirstBastion said:

TJohn said:

I'm pretty sure there's a "sure" missing.

And there's a "see" missing in TJohn's reply.

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,018

This thread is like a black hole that swallows up random.

its enough to send your grammar off her rocker