are yoo a thread killer?

Comments

• marblemarble Posts: 7,449

Torquinox said:

marble said:

I'm usually punished by having my posts removed but it seems I killed a thread recently. Not my intention but discussion here is limited to niceties - oh dear, have I done it again?

Spock says, "You must learn to govern your passions. They will be your undoing." cheeky

Ah yes, Spock ... the hero of rationalists who are strangely passionate about how rational and unemotional they are. Actually Spock (as played by Leonard Nimoy) was not always in control of his human side in contrast to some real-life antipathetic types I have been unfortunate enough to meet. Again, I feel I'm treading on some sensitive toes.

• TorquinoxTorquinox Posts: 2,580

marble said:

Again, I feel I'm treading on some sensitive toes.

Not my toes. I do think you over-committed in that thread.  Such a conversation goes better over beers or coffees, understanding that it's an exchange of ideas and probably nobody's position is actually going to change. In the online environment, the thread becomes a bonfire. It's not right or proper, but Mando says, "This is the way" accompanied by an ironic shrug to his little green buddy.

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,705

You aren't stepping on my toes but you may be stepping on my fingers?

Torquinox said:

marble said:

Again, I feel I'm treading on some sensitive toes.

Not my toes. I do think you over-committed in that thread.  Such a conversation goes better over beers or coffees, understanding that it's an exchange of ideas and probably nobody's position is actually going to change. In the online environment, the thread becomes a bonfire. It's not right or proper, but Mando says, "This is the way" accompanied by an ironic shrug to his little green buddy.

Yeah, I get that. I tend to think of a forum as a place where things can be discussed but all too often the flames start over the simplest of observations. It is difficult (for me at least) to restrain myself from responding when people misread or misinterpret what I have said or intended to say. I guess I'm just too old to learn to hold back.

Nevertheless, the people who went to visit my link at the end of that thread were all very polite and encouraging so it wasn't a total loss.

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,172

marble said:

Torquinox said:

marble said:

I'm usually punished by having my posts removed but it seems I killed a thread recently. Not my intention but discussion here is limited to niceties - oh dear, have I done it again?

Spock says, "You must learn to govern your passions. They will be your undoing." cheeky

Ah yes, Spock ... the hero of rationalists who are strangely passionate about how rational and unemotional they are. Actually Spock (as played by Leonard Nimoy) was not always in control of his human side in contrast to some real-life antipathetic types I have been unfortunate enough to meet. Again, I feel I'm treading on some sensitive toes.

The idea of rationality detached from emotion is a misconception anyway. People who think of themselves as completely rational decision makers are still using their emotions to make decisions, if only because not every dilemma has a rational conclusion. There have been people who suffered brain damage that left them entirely emotionless, and the popular conception would dictate that they became much more decisive, but it actually rendered them almost incapable of making any decision at all. 

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,839

a lot of the choices made by those who run this forum are very emotionally charged

WendyLuvsCatz said:

a lot of the choices made by those who run this forum are very emotionally charged

Hah! When I say something like that it is usually removed in minutes.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,581
    edited March 2022

...I could kill a thread on page 75 and nobody would care. 

Post edited by kyoto kid on

I think if I feel like I have to Pee, the best course of action is to visit the restroom. 0.o

I am afraid a storm is on the way and will be here when I am trying to get home.

edited March 2022

Gordig said:

marble said:

The idea of rationality detached from emotion is a misconception anyway. People who think of themselves as completely rational decision makers are still using their emotions to make decisions, if only because not every dilemma has a rational conclusion. There have been people who suffered brain damage that left them entirely emotionless, and the popular conception would dictate that they became much more decisive, but it actually rendered them almost incapable of making any decision at all. 

I don't think Spock (or any of the Vulcans) ever really tried to be emotionless. They embraced logic to moderate emotional excesses. It's apparently a lot about self-control with them. And what is logic, anyway? In practice as in programming, I find it to be the application of conditionals and comparatives to find a solution to decision-making problems. It's not perfect, but it can be helpful.

Post edited by Torquinox on
  • TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,017

Lol, TJohn!

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,172

Honestly, I'm surprised as much of that conversation survived as it did.

I'm trying to post a picture of my friends.  They are swimming with no swimsuits and they don't care!

0CF2764A-E3E8-4AC5-B334-97155F91BA01.jpeg
    4032 x 3024 - 4M
  • LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,176

On the bottom of the tank, those are either very large grains of sand or extremely tiny fish.  Or maybe that photo was taken in Pebble Beach.devil

...nice one TJohn.

• NylonGirlNylonGirl Posts: 1,502

I'm really curious about what this mega conversation was that got deleted. On the other hand, if I saw it, I'd probably be like, "oh".

It didn't get deleted. It got closed. https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/558901/art You can say "Oh" if you like laugh

Oh

edited April 2022

...Pee.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • AgitatedRiotAgitatedRiot Posts: 4,234

LOL So which one killed that.

After I drink a cup of coffee and a cup of water, I feel like I have to pee.

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,804

oh, the sympathiser!

with an S not a Z angel

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,005
    edited April 2022

kyoto kid said:

...I could kill a thread on page 75 and nobody would care. 

I could stand in the middle of Fifth Ave and shoot this thread and I wouldn't lose any views.

Also... I'm calling on Darth Vader and Satan to look in this thread's email notifications... I think people wanna know where it got 21,000 views... am I right?
    21,000 views... Come on Darth Vader, release that information.

Everyone says I'm right... 21,000 is a big number... bigger than five or tenseventwo... and I know numbers... lots of them...

There is tree... two-two... the one with an upside down six with the sideways googly eyes... and triangle... triangle is a number... nobody knows that. 

People are always saying how good I am at numbers... they come up to me with tears in their eyes and say "thank you for saying those numbers"... big burly men... men who never cried in their entire lives, not even as tiny babies, which I know because they usually bring their mothers along and they tell me that it was frightening that as babies their sons never cried, but now they are because I said those numbers.

But some people don't like that... they don't like me...

Those people keep saying I like Darth Vader because I said he was a genius for blowing up Alderaan, but I was looking at a TV screen and I said "this is genius"... "Darth Vader builds himself a Death Star and declares Alderaan is a problem and poof... oh that's wonderful"... Because if you think about it, planets are big... very big... 

Did you know planets are big?... Not a lot of people know that... but they are big... huge... planets... are huge...

You have to be smart... a genius to blow up a planet... people keep telling me I should blow up a planet... I'm not saying I'm a genius, but big burly, hairy men with big strong arms and hairy chests come up to me with tears in their eyes... they come up to me carrying their mothers who tell me their big strong ridiculously burly, manly sons who never cried in their entire lives, not even as tiny burly babies are now crying because I should blow up a planet, but I tell them... "Sorry, they won't let me blow up planets because some people say that's bad"... 

They say "let's make more windmill"... but they won't let me blow up the moon...

Windmills which kill more giraffes each year than ever before... they keep making those windmills... but the giraffes have long necks and when they walk under them... bam... their heads get chopped off... so sad... that's why we don't have any more giraffes at the beach or in the trees at the park anymore.

Just yesterday a big burly, handsome man with huge rippling muscles, carrying his mother came up to me with tears in his eyes and asked me why there were no more giraffes in the park... no more giraffes he said... and I told him it's because of the windmills... they cut off their heads... and the giraffes had no more heads.

So sad... no heads... none...

Darth Vader...

21,000 views... one thread... am I right?

Bananatwelveteenfour.

Post edited by McGyver on
  • LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,176
    edited April 2022

That's either genius or plagiarism.surprise  I've captured it for posterity.yes  Biggly amusing.laugh

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on

I thought of something to say that could kill the thread, but now I forgot what I was going to say.

I am at a food court.  Why is Chickfila's wifi up when they are closed.

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,005

Sfariah said:

I thought of something to say that could kill the thread, but now I forgot what I was going to say.

You could try "Avada Kedavra"... it seemed to work for Voldemort with moderate success...

The Steve Miller Band even made a song about it...

Every time you curse my name
    I explode in eerie green flame. 
    Burning brain, full of desire
    Curse me baby, let fire get higher.

Avada, Avada Kedavra. 
    I wanna reach out and stab ya. 
    Avada Kedavra. 
    Avada Kedavra.

You make hot, you make me fry. 
    You make me scream, you make me cry. 
    You keep me burning with that curse. 
    I really need a magic nurse.

Avada, Avada Kedavra. 
    Avada Kedavra. 
    Avada Kedavra.

I feel the evil magic you possess. 
    I feel the magic that makes me confess. 
    Silk and satin, leather and lace. 
    Black panties with Voldemort's face.

I see that magic green light
    I hear the screams in the night. 
    Just when I think I'll get away...
    I hear the curse you always say...

Avada, Avada Kedavra. 
    Avada Kedavra. 
    Avada Kedavra...

I forget the rest, but it was a very popular song in 1982, but they had to change the words because everyone who listened to it kept dying. 
    The "safe" version is not as much fun though.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,839

avid cadaver?