Time for sharing, what I have no idea!

Comments

• TobiasGTobiasG Posts: 447
    edited December 1969

Pretty impressive, and it makes me curious about the new render engine.

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

Iray again using DT's Yosemite HDRI. No materials were adjusted on the bike. I did deform the back tyre a bit to show some weight.

bikenew3.png
    2000 x 1125 - 4M
    edited December 1969

TobiasG said:
    Pretty impressive, and it makes me curious about the new render engine.
    Thanks I couldn't resist DLing the beta and trying for myself. I am so glad I did.
  • AJ2112AJ2112 Posts: 1,416
    edited December 1969

Hi Pete, magnificent renders as alway's. You've definetly grasped Iray with a passion. Keep up the fantastic renders. CU on the flipside.

edited December 1969

Thanks man.

Here is another Iray test

cambot6.png
    1061 x 1500 - 2M
    edited December 1969

and another one again lit with a low res HDRI shown in the background.

The big prop, the Gargoyle is a Laticis Imagery FREE Object - I used the Diffuse, Spec and Normal maps that came wit the model and added a metallic twist using the Iray shader. The Buddha I gave a Sliver shader and for the Treasure of Egypt prop I gave a Gold shader changing the diffuse colour to White and kept the diffuse maps in place. The Table is an ArtColab prop for the Living Room set and I put the diffuse map in to the Gloss colour channel setting roughness to 0.80. I then used the Top Coat function at 100% Weight to simulate a clear varnish.

Links to all the props used can be found on my Galley http://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#images/62572 apart from the Gargoyle http://laticis.deviantart.com/art/Laticis-Imagery-FREE-Object-Gargoyle-Statue-504110171

statue2_copy.jpg
    1061 x 1500 - 856K
  • ZarconDeeGrissomZarconDeeGrissom Posts: 5,412
    edited December 1969

That is so good. And the statue, I like!

• tl155180tl155180 Posts: 994
    edited March 2015

Wow Pete, those are amazing! I thought for a minute I was looking at actual photographs.

How did you set up the environmental lighting in the Yosemite/bike scene? Its very impressive.

Is it premature to hope that you'll be following up your UberArea tutorial thread with an Iray lighting thread at some point? ;P

Post edited by tl155180 on
    edited December 1969

Thanks guys.

tl155180 see setting attached and notice I have Ground position on Manual so I can position the bike without the ground moving.

Enviro.jpg
    401 x 708 - 222K
    edited December 1969

Thanks Pete, I'm gonna give this a try myself. God knows how you manage to pick this stuff up so fast :)

edited December 1969

My pleasure. I have no idea either but I do put a lot of time and effort in to learning. I suppose it helps with dabbling in Lux and Blender (Cycles) and just having way to much time on my hands being pretty much house bound.

edited December 1969

Have you worked out yet how to alter the level of ambient glow on light surfaces that have had the Emissive shader applied to them? I'm getting nice lighting from this method in indoor scenes, but the lights themselves have far too strong a glow on them and don't look right. You seem to have got it right on the robot image though.

• KatherineKatherine Posts: 326
    edited December 1969

Szark said:
    Thanks man.

Which glass case did you use in this one?

Kat

edited December 1969

tl155180 said:
    Have you worked out yet how to alter the level of ambient glow on light surfaces that have had the Emissive shader applied to them? I'm getting nice lighting from this method in indoor scenes, but the lights themselves have far too strong a glow on them and don't look right. You seem to have got it right on the robot image though.
    I will take a look at that after my evening meal.
    edited December 1969

Szark said:
    Thanks man.

Which glass case did you use in this one?

KatOne I made in Blender. If anyone wants it I can package it up and put it on dA. Just Shout.

edited December 1969

here it is in all it's simple glory. :)

glass.png
    707 x 1000 - 980K
    edited December 1969

tl155180 said:
    The only setting I have found that has any effect on the glow of the object is the light intensity setting, the cd/m2 setting. Which in a way that is how it works in reality. Many light source are house inside a glass or plastic envelope that control how diffuse the light is. So maybe that is the approach we need to take when dealing with this render engine. This is why I have said 3Dekight is fun to work with because it doesn't limit us to what we can do. Realistic engines does restrict the creativity side more as we don't have the freedom 3Deligtght offers.
    edited March 2015

Szark said:
    tl155180 said:
    The only setting I have found that has any effect on the glow of the object is the light intensity setting, the cd/m2 setting. Which in a way that is how it works in reality. Many light source are house inside a glass or plastic envelope that control how diffuse the light is. So maybe that is the approach we need to take when dealing with this render engine. This is why I have said 3Dekight is fun to work with because it doesn't limit us to what we can do. Realistic engines does restrict the creativity side more as we don't have the freedom 3Deligtght offers.

Yeah, same here. It seems the only way to reduce ambient glow is to actually reduce the light emitted. I guess, like you say, thats realism for you. Thanks for checking it for me.

I did a render of NightShift3Ds Odysseon Station Med Bay using just scene lights and the Emissive shader applied to just the ceiling lights. For some reason the lights were reflecting off the far wall rather than the floor, no idea why but thats something I'll have to try to fathom. Looks quite nice, but I do feel like the lights are glowing too much... probably just a personal preference thing.

With my system (cpu: i5 4460, RAM: 8GB, card: GTX 660) and both cpu and gpu used the render took 55 mins to reach 91% and 3315 interations!! Not sure I'm liking these render times.

Odysseon_Med_Bay.jpg
    1356 x 1084 - 1011K
    edited December 1969

Yeah strange about the reflections. Look at my Cambot image and look at the reflection of the bottom of the glass case, the base is really bright which IMHO doesn't look right in the reflection.

On the lights well again in reality the light source would be inside the light fitting shining through the glass/plastic diffuser. :) The diffuser would be controlling how bright it looked.

edited March 2015

Szark said:
    Yeah strange about the reflections. Look at my Cambot image and look at the reflection of the bottom of the glass case, the base is really bright which IMHO doesn't look right in the reflection.

On the lights well again in reality the light source would be inside the light fitting shining through the glass/plastic diffuser. :) The diffuser would be controlling how bright it looked.

Yeah I see what you mean now - although I'd never have noticed it if you hadn't pointed it out. Still looks blummin' great though.

Very true. Problem with the lights in my image is that the diffuser IS the light source, so theres nothing to filter it through after that. I guess I'd need a set that had bulbs behind glass/plastic light fittings in order to do that.

Iray images still look very nice though - they take ages, but the results are impressive.

Edit: I do feel a bit like Daz have shot themselves in the foot with this though. I'm now postponing all of the purchases I would've otherwise been making right now because I'm not sure whether the products I'm interested in are going to work well with Iray or not and if they don't I'm not interested in them anymore.

It might get to the point where I'll only buy products in the future if they've been optimized for Iray.

• Joe CotterJoe Cotter Posts: 3,259
    edited December 1969

Szark said:
    and another one again lit with a low res HDRI shown in the background.

The big prop, the Gargoyle is a Laticis Imagery FREE Object - I used the Diffuse, Spec and Normal maps that came wit the model and added a metallic twist using the Iray shader. The Buddha I gave a Sliver shader and for the Treasure of Egypt prop I gave a Gold shader changing the diffuse colour to White and kept the diffuse maps in place. The Table is an ArtColab prop for the Living Room set and I put the diffuse map in to the Gloss colour channel setting roughness to 0.80. I then used the Top Coat function at 100% Weight to simulate a clear varnish.

Links to all the props used can be found on my Galley http://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#images/62572 apart from the Gargoyle http://laticis.deviantart.com/art/Laticis-Imagery-FREE-Object-Gargoyle-Statue-504110171

Great work Szark, very realistic. I wouldn't know it wasn't a photo looking at it. :)

edited March 2015

Szark said:
    tl155180 said:

Well one can always render the image in both with the intention of blending using a 2D program and layer blend modes (overlay, etc...) Just render the 'bloom' or whatever effect one wants in the 3Dlight engine and overlay it on the IRay image.

Edit: thought you wanted more bloom, see after reading further was less. In that case, might want to create an ambient light source so that the individual lights aren't the only light source in the scene. In most rl scenes there is some ambient source, and... irl, photographers and videographers are always introducing large amounts of light that isn't part of the actual environment to get the effect they want.

Post edited by Joe Cotter on
    edited March 2015

Szark said:
    tl155180 said:

Double posted for some reason.

Post edited by Joe Cotter on
    edited December 1969

Thanks Gedd nice ideas, thanks for sharing. For me I do everything in one pass and/or postwork.

Ok test time.

I went in to Blender and made a light fitting, a base, an internal reflector and a diffuser with a thickness.

In DS I added a torus as the Emissive object set intensity to 55 Watts and Efficiency to 25% I think I chose 5000 k for the light colour

The base a glossy black plastic, the reflector shiny polish Ali and the diffuser IOR 1.46 (plastic) and engaged the Translucency.

The scene is inside a 2.4 mtr sq cube representing a 8 foot stud ceiling.

lighttest.png
    500 x 500 - 218K
    Light1.jpg
    897 x 889 - 180K
    Light.jpg
    1680 x 1050 - 538K
    edited March 2015

Szark said:
    Thanks Gedd nice ideas, thanks for sharing. For me I do everything in one pass and/or postwork.

Ok test time.

I went in to Blender and made a light fitting, a base, an internal reflector and a diffuser with a thickness.

In DS I added a torus as the Emissive object set intensity to 55 Watts and Efficiency to 25% I think I chose 5000 k for the light color

The base a glossy black plastic, the reflector shiny polish Ali and the diffuser IOR 1.46 (plastic) and engaged the Translucency. (snip)

When I did my test, I found that for things like that, Caustics in the render tab had to be on for it too look real. Tho that was a beta or two ago, lol.

I also didn't try for an exact 8 foot stud wall ceiling height, or ceiling size for that matter. Yep about there looks good, using the arrows in the view-field to put the thing over her head, lol.

Your adventures look good, I've decided to give Iray a rest till I get more free time, and some CUDA cores to throw at it, lol.
    (EDIT)
    original 3delight variant. http://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#images/42065
    Iray retake http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewreply/782647/

Post edited by ZarconDeeGrissom on
    edited December 1969

Szark said:

Ok test time.

In DS I added a torus as the Emissive object set intensity to 55 Watts and Efficiency to 25% I think I chose 5000 k for the light colour

The base a glossy black plastic, the reflector shiny polish Ali and the diffuser IOR 1.46 (plastic) and engaged the Translucency.

The scene is inside a 2.4 mtr sq cube representing a 8 foot stud ceiling.

I love how you can just knock out a really good light fitting for test purposes lol

Looks like it worked well. What does 55 Watts translate to in terms of a luminance value?

edited December 1969

I don't know I just set the units to W (watts) and chose 55 then increased the Efficiency to 25 as I was going for a compact fluorescent light effect. 15% is good for the old tungsten filament GLS light bulbs.

I don't model much but I do know how to use Blender to make easy things.

edited December 1969

Szark said:
    I don't know I just set the units to W (watts) and chose 55 then increased the Efficiency to 25 as I was going for a compact fluorescent light effect. 15% is good for the old tungsten filament GLS light bulbs.

You set the Luminance Units to Watts and Luminance Value to 55? That can't be right, can it? A value of just 55 barely registers on my scenes. I need to put in like a value of 1000000 just to make the light register.

edited March 2015

tl155180 said:
    Szark said:

You set the Luminance Units to Watts and Luminance Value to 55? That can't be right, can it? A value of just 55 barely registers on my scenes. I need to put in like a value of 1000000 just to make the light register.Many reasons I can think of, ISO100 (outdoor film) vs ISO400 (indoor film) in the render tab, Lumans is not 1-to-1 for watts, etc.
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewreply/782133/
    "O" and real photographers lights and strobes are far more bright then regular lights. Daz_Spooky made a post somewhere listing them.
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewreply/784881/

Post edited by ZarconDeeGrissom on
    edited December 1969

tl155180 said:
    Szark said:

You set the Luminance Units to Watts and Luminance Value to 55? That can't be right, can it? A value of just 55 barely registers on my scenes. I need to put in like a value of 1000000 just to make the light register.

Many reasons I can think of, ISO100 (outdoor film) vs ISO400 (indoor film) in the render tab, Lumans is not 1-to-1 for watts, etc.
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewreply/782133/

Hmm, nope if I change Lum Units to Watts, Lum Value to 55 and Lum Efficiency to 25 on the Med Bay indoor lights with ISO set to 400 all I get is a completely black room with some barely visible light surfaces poking through. They cast no visible light at all.

Iray makes my brain hurt... ;_;