Time for sharing, what I have no idea!

Comments

• ZarconDeeGrissomZarconDeeGrissom Posts: 5,412
    edited March 2015

tl155180 said:
    tl155180 said:
    Szark said:
    I don't know I just set the units to W (watts) and chose 55 then increased the Efficiency to 25 as I was going for a compact fluorescent light effect. 15% is good for the old tungsten filament GLS light bulbs.

I don't model much but I do know how to use Blender to make easy things.

You set the Luminance Units to Watts and Luminance Value to 55? That can't be right, can it? A value of just 55 barely registers on my scenes. I need to put in like a value of 1000000 just to make the light register.

Many reasons I can think of, ISO100 (outdoor film) vs ISO400 (indoor film) in the render tab, Lumans is not 1-to-1 for watts, etc.
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewreply/782133/
    "O" and real photographers lights and strobes are far more bright then regular lights. Daz_Spooky made a post somewhere listing them.
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewreply/784881/

Hmm, nope if I change Lum Units to Watts, Lum Value to 55 and Lum Efficiency to 25 on the Med Bay indoor lights with ISO set to 400 all I get is a completely black room with some barely visible light surfaces poking through. They cast no visible light at all.

Iray makes my brain hurt... ;_;Headlamp, it's a switch in the cam settings. when it is on, no other lights emit light. possibly.

Post edited by ZarconDeeGrissom on
  • tl155180tl155180 Posts: 994
    edited December 1969

tl155180 said:
    tl155180 said:
    Szark said:
    I don't know I just set the units to W (watts) and chose 55 then increased the Efficiency to 25 as I was going for a compact fluorescent light effect. 15% is good for the old tungsten filament GLS light bulbs.

I don't model much but I do know how to use Blender to make easy things.

You set the Luminance Units to Watts and Luminance Value to 55? That can't be right, can it? A value of just 55 barely registers on my scenes. I need to put in like a value of 1000000 just to make the light register.

Many reasons I can think of, ISO100 (outdoor film) vs ISO400 (indoor film) in the render tab, Lumans is not 1-to-1 for watts, etc.
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewreply/782133/
    "O" and real photographers lights and strobes are far more bright then regular lights. Daz_Spooky made a post somewhere listing them.
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewreply/784881/

Hmm, nope if I change Lum Units to Watts, Lum Value to 55 and Lum Efficiency to 25 on the Med Bay indoor lights with ISO set to 400 all I get is a completely black room with some barely visible light surfaces poking through. They cast no visible light at all.

Iray makes my brain hurt... ;_;Headlamp, it's a switch in the cam settings. when it is on, no other lights emit light. possibly.

Thanks for the suggestion, but no - I already know about the headlamp.

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

Yep screenshot to prove it and yes I changed Tone mapping to ISO 400. I also increased the light efficiency and to be honest I should have increased it more if this is correct http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luminous_efficacy I am now testing this with textured walls etc and using 4 lights with decreasing fstop to 4.0 in the render settings to let more light in to the camera.

torus.jpg
    353 x 515 - 138K
    edited December 1969

Szark said:
    Yep screenshot to prove it and yes I changed Tone mapping to ISO 400. I also increased the light efficiency and to be honest I should have increased it more if this is correct http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luminous_efficacy I am now testing this with textured walls etc and using 4 lights with decreasing fstop to 4.0 in the render settings to let more light in to the camera.

I'm not doubting you Pete - I'm sure you're right; you know your stuff. I just don't know why it isn't the same for me. I've put in the same settings but don't get the same results for some reason.

edited December 1969

how dare you insinuate I know what I am doing.... LOL

Ok my testing has shown me that Tone Mapping is more important than it is for Luxrender in getting the lighting to look right.

Using that Wiki link I changed the Efficiency to 60% Watts to 22 and used these Tone mapping settings. I will show the render when it is done.

tonemap1.jpg
    404 x 342 - 131K
    edited March 2015

Edit: Sorry Pete - I've only just realised that this your personal renders thread and I'm hijacking it for Iray hints and tips. Sorry about that.

Post edited by tl155180 on
    edited December 1969

Don't be silly

taken from my emails

Everyone probably already knows this, but I've found that upping the "cm2
    Factor" in Tone Mapping significantly increases the power of the scene
    lights.

I did 2 renders of NightShift3Ds Odysseon Tech Corridor; one with emissive
    scene lights set to lum value 30,000,000 and one with lum value at 300,000
    and cm2 factor at 100. I let both reach 40% before I stopped them. The first
    one took 7 mins to reach 40%. The second one took 20 mins. But the lighting
    in both is pretty similar

I haven't played with that yet. Did you post a pic?
    edited December 1969

Szark said:
    Don't be silly

taken from my emails

Everyone probably already knows this, but I've found that upping the "cm2
    Factor" in Tone Mapping significantly increases the power of the scene
    lights.

I did 2 renders of NightShift3Ds Odysseon Tech Corridor; one with emissive
    scene lights set to lum value 30,000,000 and one with lum value at 300,000
    and cm2 factor at 100. I let both reach 40% before I stopped them. The first
    one took 7 mins to reach 40%. The second one took 20 mins. But the lighting
    in both is pretty similar

I haven't played with that yet. Did you post a pic?

Yup :)

The slightly lighter one is the one with the higher cm2 factor and lower lum value.

Odysseon_Tech_Corridor_lumin_300000_and_cm2_factor_100.jpg
    1356 x 1356 - 1M
    Odysseon_Tech_Corridor_lumin_30000000.jpg
    1356 x 1356 - 1M
    edited December 1969

Ok I think I am correct in saying that the Tone Mapping is the most important aspect of Iray. I maybe wrong but the logical way of thinking is that if Iray was intended to be completely Photorealistic then Tone Mapping is the key. Here are the results of adjusting Exposure Value down by 1.00 each time. 13,97 was way to Dark so I started with 12.97, then 11.97 and finally 10.97 being the lightest.

Don't forget there are four lights at 22 Watts at 65% efficiency as per that Wiki that shows what Lm/w efficiency different types of lights have. So IMHO all lighting should be treated like this if going for realism.

lighttest3.png
    1000 x 1000 - 1M
    lighttest2.png
    1000 x 1000 - 1M
    lighttest1.png
    1000 x 1000 - 1M
    tonemap2.jpg
    411 x 451 - 154K
    edited December 1969

Szark said:
    Ok I think I am correct in saying that the Tone Mapping is the most important aspect of Iray. I maybe wrong but the logical way of thinking is that if Iray was intended to be completely Photorealistic then Tone Mapping is the key. Here are the results of adjusting Exposure Value down by 1.00 each time. 13,97 was way to Dark so I started with 12.97, then 11.97 and finally 10.97 being the lightest.

Don't forget there are four lights at 22 Watts at 65% efficiency as per that Wiki that shows what Lm/w efficiency different types of lights have. So IMHO all lighting should be treated like this if going for realism.

I think you're right. I noticed that changing the cm2 factor value also changed the Exposure value at the same time by default - which is probably part of the reason things got brighter with less lumin input.

edited December 1969

Ok cool thanks for sharing that. I haven't had a chance to play today, too busy on a 3Delight project. That's the trouble though with this new engine is that I used to do thing by eye and it appears to me that if we want realism we need to learn more about real world camera settings (tone Mapping) and lighting. But for me that takes some of the joy out of the creative side.

edited December 1969

Over the last 3 days I have been working on an outdoor dusk scene and figured out what a number of the Sun/Sky setting do, suffice to say I like what it can do. For me the best result is when the sky isn't visible in the render. I also came to the conclusion that the Geometry Editor Tool is a god send in splitting apart surface for more control for getting the right look. The beta seems to be RAM hungry even though I have 8GBs worth renders seem to stall if I over do things. I am hoping it is just a beta bug.

I still think Tone Mapping is the key and the material conversion shouldn't be relied on to get the best out of Iray. Next I am going to try a figure and SSS but that will have to wait as I have some more Promo work to do in the weekend.

edited December 1969

Iray render using the default Sun/Sky using http://www.daz3d.com/village-courtyard

cytest.png
    1600 x 900 - 3M
    edited December 1969

same as the previous image but using a customised Sun/Sky with some Haze to give the colour

courtyardFinal1.png
    1600 x 900 - 3M
  • AJ2112AJ2112 Posts: 1,416
    edited December 1969

Gorgeous renders Pete, you create beautiful atmosphere, even the lamps are lit perfect. Great job ! CU on the flip side.

• ZarconDeeGrissomZarconDeeGrissom Posts: 5,412
    edited December 1969

Szark said:
    same as the previous image but using a customized Sun/Sky with some Haze to give the color
    Oh, yes. That is good, very good. Has that near dawn/dusk feel.
    edited April 2015

awesomefb said:
    Gorgeous renders Pete, you create beautiful atmosphere, even the lamps are lit perfect. Great job ! CU on the flip side. Thanks man

same as the previous image but using a customized Sun/Sky with some Haze to give the color
    Oh, yes. That is good, very good. Has that near dawn/dusk feel.Thanks yeah that was what I was going for.

It may interest others that all I did to change the default Environment to the one I used for that latter image was to increase

Environment Intensity to 1.50 for all over light, including shadows
    Sun Disk Intensity 17.00 to give more direct light
    Haze to 10.00 to get the colour

Post edited by Szark on
    edited December 1969

Great images Pete. I don't know if you've played with 'Saturation' much in Tone Mapping but its another great way to increase/decrease the colour intensity in an image.

I've been using sun haze a lot because it creates really nice soft shadows, but sometimes it creates a bit too much colour intensity for my liking. With saturation you can tone that down to more realistic levels with pretty nice results.

edited December 1969

thanks tl155180 Yes I did play with Saturation but I found I liked the Haze effect better. I did do some test with Saturation and no haze but it just didn't look right. The way I look at it is like this. Haze is due to particulate matter in the atmosphere and the more there is, i:e: pollution the more orange the sun sets are so this is why I used Haze over Saturation.

I much prefer to use Saturation to change the Blue sky that the default gives, to me the default doesn't look quite right for where I live and the Lat and long setting don't change the sky colour which I think it should.

edited April 2015

here is one of my bird contest entries for this year made in DS 4.7 which got a Honourable Mention. My other one is a Vue render with no DAZ3D store products, well apart from some of Ron's Water brushes. If anyone is interested they can find it on my dA page. Link in on the first page of this thread.

Family.jpg
    1545 x 2000 - 1M
    Post edited by Szark on
    edited December 1969

Congrat's Pete on HB. Another gorgeous render, luv the view of dof and composition, render is very dynamic/lovely.

edited December 1969

Thanks man. I enjoyed making them both but this is a little more artistic for me.

edited December 1969

Well it has been a while since I posted anything...too busy learning Iray on top of other things.

It is as I thought Iray being Photoreal relies on the Tone Mapping more than Luxrender ever did. I think this is throwing some a curve ball. Learning about real world camera settings really does help and helped me with learning my own camera. I would suggest using additional fill light for Iray interiors as well as adjusting Tone mapping settings. There is a ton of info about camera settings on the web.

I haven't used Photometric lights yet. Still on mesh lighting but I hear they could be faster to render so I will have to test that out. Iray Shaders seem to be straight forward. I think the top coat is like Uber Shader with two specular channels but with more additional controls.

One thing I am tring to find out is the plain English meaning of this

Custom Curve - This is based off of Schlick's approximation formula. There are several documents online which explain the formula and the settings.

But I am happy that the Daz3D docs have helped with understanding the shader. My last project, an Iray set conversion, has helped a lot with getting to grips with it. For me the PBR Metallicity/Roughness shader has the best all round functions.

I can wait for volumetric atmosphere to come.

I haven't looked at the Iray Shader Mixer yet but it is on my to do list. For once I am looking forward to that side. :)

edited December 1969

Hi Pete, appears your having fun with IRay. I'm learning to use photometric lights, so far so good. Let us know what you discover, cu on the flipside bud.

edited December 1969

I have learnt loads bud but it is all in my head and I need to get it all straight. That is my next thing on my list to test.

• MuireanneMuireanne Posts: 82
    edited December 1969

Szark said:
    here is one of my bird contest entries for this year made in DS 4.7 which got a Honourable Mention. My other one is a Vue render with no DAZ3D store products, well apart from some of Ron's Water brushes. If anyone is interested they can find it on my dA page. Link in on the first page of this thread.

This is gorgeous and if you hadn't said as much I would have assumed it was a photo!

edited December 1969

Thanks Muireanne

edited December 1969

Daz Studio and Iray. Shame about the Iray issues with overlapping transmapping which made me delete some of the fine feather mesh with the Geometry Editor Tool, but all in all I am happy-ish with the result.

This had a little postwork done in Photo Effects 8 just to make it pop a little more.

Great_Blue_Heron1.jpg
    2000 x 1125 - 1M
    edited June 2015

PS I wanted set the record straight that there isn't an issue with Iray and transmaps but more the pose was for some reason tearing the mesh.

Double PS: I was right all along it is the transmapped areas. I thought that setting Cutout to 0 would hide them from rendering but this is not the case as the issue was still there. Removing the meshes completely with the Geo Edit Tool fixed it. So it has to be down to the transmapped areas

Post edited by Szark on
    edited June 2015

I wanted to compare Blender Cycles with Iray using this http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/2765/P510/#667528 I found it a lot easier in Daz Studio than Blender and the results speak for themselves. This is straight out of DS no postwork. Notice how the HDRI is much brighter and sharper than the Blender render. All default settings as was the Blender HDRI node setup. Also notice the big shadow in the front of the car in the Blender scene and not in the Iray. For me the Iray looks to be more realistic.

spycar4.jpg
    2000 x 1125 - 2M
    Post edited by Szark on