Time for sharing, what I have no idea!

Comments

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

You know, y'all have thinking of another light property with surfaces. reflecting vs refraction telescopes. Glass bends colors differently (prism effect) mirrors don't. Your trying to put a mirror behind a refracting layer of sorts, car paint and gloss coating.

I want a piece of simple glass. a window of sorts, preferable with the simplest of surface shaders. Is is possible to do that with a simple daz3d studio primitive, without replacing the default primitive shader? Just thinking out loud.

I still like that car Szark, it fits you. I'm more partial to a Beliskner (SG1) or a Nostromo (Alien), lol.

Thanks as for DS glass when I get some free time I will see what I can come up with. I know we can do really simple glass with the default shader.

thanks MN-150374

edited December 1969

Szark said:
    First off thanks for the feedback.

Both images have had the sun lined up perfectly to the HDRI with a nice Blender Script so it is probably more down to Fresnel and reflections. As for the shadow under the care yes I agree it doesn't look right. I think I should have added a fill light to lighten up things a little more.

That makes sense. :)
    I think the car is one of the best renders of a vehicle I've seen. Very good work overall. Thanks Terre The image really was just a test in learning more about Blender and its shader node system so in that I am very pleased with the car but for me I don't like both of the images in their entirety because of the very reasons you mentioned.
    edited December 1969

Szark said:
    You know, y'all have thinking of another light property with surfaces. reflecting vs refraction telescopes. Glass bends colors differently (prism effect) mirrors don't. Your trying to put a mirror behind a refracting layer of sorts, car paint and gloss coating.

I want a piece of simple glass. a window of sorts, preferable with the simplest of surface shaders. Is is possible to do that with a simple daz3d studio primitive, without replacing the default primitive shader? Just thinking out loud.

I still like that car Szark, it fits you. I'm more partial to a Beliskner (SG1) or a Nostromo (Alien), lol.

Thanks as for DS glass when I get some free time I will see what I can come up with. I know we can do really simple glass with the default shader.

Sorry I haven't got back to you on this but I have had some PC issues and haven't got DS installed yet but this may help http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/46478/#679229 regarding Glass.

edited December 1969

Latest Vue render using http://www.daz3d.com/moon-rod

SomewhereSmall.jpg
    2000 x 851 - 1M
  • ZarconDeeGrissomZarconDeeGrissom Posts: 5,412
    edited October 2014

"O" that is a beautiful render. Now I'm going to have to pick up that 'rod'. I hope your comp troubles are getting better.

Post edited by ZarconDeeGrissom on
    edited December 1969

Thanks yep my comp problems are all solved. Threw my old PC's 1TB HDD in the new machine as a slave for programs and content. Which gives me room on the 2 USB 1 TB drives for backups, file and scene saves etc. Running a lot faster with having the OS on a drive of its own.

edited October 2014

That's good to hear. did similar here, moved all my "Daz3D store stuff" to a new drive. Broke some stuff...
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/47663/
    Turn off HD details till the last moment...

And have been trying to get a descent explanation of my test chamber together.
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/47738/

edited December 1969

Well you are in good hands with the advice already given. I can't add anything that hasn't been said already.

Interesting chamber.

Here is my latest Vue render

Taking my last image further, adding more detail and some advice from Laticis regarding a more panoramic view I came up with this. Sun Lens Glare added in Vue.

This time I sharpen the image a little in Perfect Effects 8, similar to what I did in Photoshop for the original. Added to that I also used a HDRI pass in Perfects Effects 8 and reduced the layer opacity. The using the Vue Alpha I mixed the Sharpened and HDRI version keeping the Sky from the HDRI pass and leaving the Sharpened Ground etc

Somewhere_pimped_small.jpg
    2000 x 750 - 1M
  • MN-150374MN-150374 Posts: 923
    edited October 2014

Excellent landscape! The lens flare is a very nice detail and looks pretty cool! :)

Post edited by MN-150374 on
    edited December 1969

Thank you MN

edited December 1969

here is another Vue, didn't put too much thought in to this, more of material and light test than anything. Used the Water Dragon http://www.daz3d.com/water-dragon which I haven't used before.

Dark_Ness_Small.jpg
    2000 x 851 - 1M
    edited December 1969

Taking my last image a little further.

Dark_Ness_FinalS.jpg
    2000 x 851 - 2M
  • FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,474
    edited December 1969

The Vue image looks great. Are those "Cliffhanger" rockformations?

edited December 1969

Thanks yes some of them are from the Cliffhanger set as are the base materials, tweaked some by me.

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,474
    edited December 1969

Thank you Szark. I finally took the plunge and purchased Vue2014 so now I'm scoping out all the cool content that's available over there, and that set has caught my eye a few times. I like your rock material tweaks very much and they work very well with those trees (what are they called because I would add them to my list) . There's so much to learn all over again. But Vue is a truly powerful tool.

edited December 1969

The materials are funny enough with the Cliffhanger Product. I think I changed a layer or two and scaling.

The plants are just normal Vue plants, HD Larch, Rural Maple both tweaked in Botanica first and saved as a new Tree Presets before using them in Eco Systems but if you have Complete then you should be able to tweak the materials after using them as an EcoSystem. I only have Esprit so I can't. The ferns are all Static plants from various sets for Daz Studio. There is one shrub that I bought Glossy Buckthorn http://www.cornucopia3d.com/purchase.php?item_id=4242

Yes Vue is a complex piece of kit but boy do I have fun playing with it. :)

edited December 1969

I so can't wait until the new version of DS comes off beta...drool Interactive Progressive Rendering (IPR) realtime rendered feedback...oh yeah. Anyone used it in the beta yet? Does it work well and what spec PC do you have?

edited December 1969

Well I am testing IPR myself, very cool.

edited November 2014

So IPR (What ever that stands for) is indeed real. Likewise, not just the machine specs, Is it GPU or CPU driven? Time to do some looking around. Compared to a 5GHz 12-core Power8, my computer is like a hand-held weed-whacker up against a Soyuz launch vehicle, horsepower wise.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/POWER8#Specifications
    vs, FX-8350. no comparison.

I hope "Intellectual Property Rights?" ;-) dose not take too much horsepower to work, lol. I hope upgrading computer parts dose not Invalidate my former stuff.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

So IPR (What ever that stands for) is indeed real. Likewise, not just the machine specs, Is it GPU or CPU driven? Time to do some looking around. Compared to a 5GHz 12-core Power8, my computer is like a hand-held weed-whacker up against a Soyuz launch vehicle, horsepower wise.

I hope "Intellectual Property Rights?" ;-) dose not take too much horsepower to work, lol. I hope upgrading computer parts dose not Invalidate my former stuff.

Interactive Progressive Rendering, and it's CPU-driven using 3delight.

edited December 1969

I always find reading the General release page http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/48862/ really helps me to keep on top of the advancements. :)

Thanks Mike

• AJ2112AJ2112 Posts: 1,416
    edited December 1969

Hi Pete, been while buddy, hope all is well with you. Your Vue renders are stunning !! Keep em comin, I enjoy viewing your renders. Cheers.

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,861
    edited December 1969

Szark- those renders are beautiful. The Water Dragon really caught my attention. A very soothing feel to it.

edited December 1969

Thanks AJ and Novica

edited December 1969

My advice when you have finished a render, don't look at it for a few days and then see if you like it after that. This happens to me a lot, I render an image and then post it then reflect on it and come up with not liking it. Take this for example. Using AntFarm's Vista Viewer and Vue the first image I thought was ok, now I hate it so I redid it.

Vista_Night_s.jpg
    2000 x 851 - 612K
    Vista_Sunset_s.jpg
    2000 x 851 - 1M
    Vista_Final_S.jpg
    2000 x 851 - 1M
  • AJ2112AJ2112 Posts: 1,416
    edited December 1969

Hi Pete, thanx for the tip. Appears I'm rarely satifsfied with final render, constantly making changes, sometimes toss the whole project, start over again.

Szark said:
    My advice when you have finished a render, don't look at it for a few days and then see if you like it after that. This happens to me a lot, I render an image and then post it then reflect on it and come up with not liking it. Take this for example. Using AntFarm's Vista Viewer and Vue the first image I thought was ok, now I hate it so I redid it.
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

awesomefb said:
    Hi Pete, thanx for the tip. Appears I'm rarely satifsfied with final render, constantly making changes, sometimes toss the whole project, start over again.

Szark said:

I usually put the latest render as my Desktop wallpaper before I post it, that way I get to see it frequently to pull it to pieces.

edited December 1969

My pleasure AJ, chohole LOL.

well the old saying art is never finished just abandoned really is true. I keep looking at my images saying that could be better, I could change this and that but to be honest I would rather leave many of them permanently abandoned. :)

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 2014

I must admit I do abandon many. :coolsmirk: We can all be our own worst critcs.

Post edited by Chohole on