[Updated to V1.3 - now MacOS support] FLUIDOS: a fluids simulator plugin for Daz Studio (commercial)

Comments

• timon630timon630 Posts: 37

does it work on daz 4.11 ?

• AlbertoAlberto Posts: 1,382
    edited June 2019
    timon630 said:

does it work on daz 4.11 ?

Yes, it does.

Post edited by Alberto on
  • LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,795

I need a bit help with the basic fluidos, please. I don't have it all that long so I'm still rather struggeling (especially timelines give me the willies...)

the thing I ultimately want to achieve is to have a small amount of liquid running down a surface. In the end I only want a still of that and hope to be able to make an obj out of  one frame mesh, that I can then add to the final surface.

So started out to make the initial sphere smaller (0.1 m) but with that size the sphere seems to vanish after frame ten in the (unaltered) timeline. Also I'd like to slow down the complete timeline thing but this combination od Frame number to Frames per second never seems to work the way I intend (like, say I want only 5 frames per second it just doesn't seem to finish up to frame 30 but resets to the beginn after those 5 frames).

So I would appreciate the help very much, thanks a lot!

• ImagoImago Posts: 4,900

For a full simulation you must set the number of frames in the Domain, it's the first two values. Set them to 30 to make calculations up to that point.
    Also set the domain using these parameters:
    Cell size 0.50 (use 1.5 or 2 for faster calculations or rougher effect)
    Subdivision level 2
    Surface smoothing value 1
    Smoothing interations 12 (experiment with this to reach your desired appearance)
    CFL Condition number 2
    PIC/FLIP ratio 1

These parameters will create a fast enough simulation. Keep the domain as small as possible to speed up calculations.
    Now you have to decide how you want to make the simulation...

If you want to use a primitive you must be sure its mass to be enough for your purpose. Like s real fluid, it gets "wasted" as it runs down a surface. Make the cube a bit bigger, experiment a bit with the size.

If instead you want to use a source, you should set it up like this:
    Geomtry Type Cuboid
    All three sizes 0.030
    Then you can change one of the sizes as you like to make it "produce" more fluids.

Hope this can help you, if not just ask! wink

edited June 2019
    Imago said:

For a full simulation you must set the number of frames in the Domain, it's the first two values. Set them to 30 to make calculations up to that point.
    Subdivision level 2
    Smoothing interations 12 (experiment with this to reach your desired appearance)
    CFL Condition number 2
    PIC/FLIP ratio 1

These parameters will create a fast enough simulation. Keep the domain as small as possible to speed up calculations.

If you want to use a primitive you must be sure its mass to be enough for your purpose. Like s real fluid, it gets "wasted" as it runs down a surface. Make the cube a bit bigger, experiment a bit with the size.

Geomtry Type Cuboid
    All three sizes 0.030
    Then you can change one of the sizes as you like to make it "produce" more fluids.

Thanks a lot I will try with your suggestions!

Update: right this needs hours to calculate but the result is pretty awesome! I managed to let some flow down an object.

Now the question is how much smaller does it still make sense. For example I saw an image with a teadrop running down a face. probably it was a source used, but for now I would like to stay with a stable amount of liquid.

Another question I have: does it make any difference how many devisions my original primitive has? Or is it just the volume I start with that is defiined via the primitive?

And third question did anybody try to make an obj. out of the resulting liquid form?

Post edited by Linwelly on
    edited June 2019
    Linwelly said:
    Imago said:

Subdivision level 2
    CFL Condition number 2
    PIC/FLIP ratio 1

Geomtry Type Cuboid
    All three sizes 0.030

Update: right this needs hours to calculate but the result is pretty awesome! I managed to let some flow down an object.

Now the question is how much smaller does it still make sense. For example I saw an image with a teadrop running down a face. probably it was a source used, but for now I would like to stay with a stable amount of liquid.

Another question I have: does it make any difference how many devisions my original primitive has? Or is it just the volume I start with that is defiined via the primitive?

And third question did anybody try to make an obj. out of the resulting liquid form?

Hi!

1. Yes, it was a source (here, the settings). If you want only a fluid mass, make sure that the object to be converted in fluid, has more than two cells size in all dimensions. Having tiny amounts of fluid in Domain, subdivision level 1 tends to "hide" it.  

2. The object is converted in a set of cubic cells, the smaller the cell size, the more defined are the object in Fluidos (and the more memory required!). The original resolution of the object has very little o none effect on the conversion.

3. Yes, you can export the (enabled) mesher as .obj as usual in Daz Studio.

Post edited by Alberto on
    Alberto said:
    Linwelly said:
    Imago said:

Subdivision level 2
    CFL Condition number 2
    PIC/FLIP ratio 1

Geomtry Type Cuboid
    All three sizes 0.030

Hi!

1. Yes, it was a source (here, the settings). If you want only a fluid mass, make sure that the object to be converted in fluid, has more than two cells size in all dimensions. Having tiny amounts of fluid in Domain, subdivision level 1 tends to "hide" it.  

2. The object is converted in a set of cubic cells, the smaller the cell size, the more defined are the object in Fluidos (and the more memory required!). The original resolution of the object has very little o none effect on the conversion.

3. Yes, you can export the (enabled) mesher as .obj as usual in Daz Studio.

Ah thank you so much! this is good to know, I good some nice results with my experiment yesterday, will post an example later

Linwelly said:

Hours, you say? How big is the area you are simulating?

edited June 2019
    Imago said:
    Linwelly said:

Hours, you say? How big is the area you are simulating?

Here are some screenshots with the thing I try, and the parameters on the side, the last one has the mesher parameter. The size of the initial sphere was 8 cm. this needed a tad over 1 hour to finish calculating the sim.

So maybe there is something odd with my settings? I made several attempts until I got this and usually I had to remove the mesher and later the sword as well and add anew with the angle I wanted as the simultion switched to the old steepness of the sowrd. I have the setting to erase the files, so I was wondering where that came from. the popup promt when starting the simulation I leave both buttons on off.

So the results are neat and obj export works nicely, I#m even surprised that my computer doesn't choke on the polys this must produce

Thanks for taking a look!

fluidos1.jpg
    1437 x 934 - 481K
    fluidos2.jpg
    1424 x 969 - 513K
    fluidos3.jpg
    1425 x 939 - 455K
    edited June 2019

It's very odd! With those parameters and size it should take just about 30 mins... What did you used for calculations, GPU or CPU?

Anyway, you can speed up things by reducing X and Z sizes, there's no need for the sword to be interely in the domain, just keep enough room for the fluid mass, the emitted fluids and the surfaces where the fluids will run down.

Post edited by Imago on
    edited June 2019

Sorry, posted by mistake!

Post edited by Imago on
    Imago said:

It's very odd! With those parameters and size it should take just about 30 mins... What did you used for calculations, GPU or CPU?

Anyway, you can speed up things by reducing X and Z sizes, there's no need for the sword to be interely in the domain, just keep enough room for the fluid mass, the emitted fluids and the surfaces where the fluids will run down.

I agree, reducing Domain size will speed up simulation. Probably, this is the cause of long times of calculations, the grid size is 200 X 300 X 200 (12,000,000 cells)

edited June 2019

All right, thanks a lot for your help so far, reducing the size helped tremendously speeding up things, the calculation now takes about 5 min so perfectly fine (setting was on gpu all the time). But I keep having sort of memory leaks, so when i try to change things in the scene and restart calculating the sim always puts the settings back to what they were in the last version, so I always have to set up the scene fresh to avoid that and the setting is to delete the old baked files, so I wonder how that happens.

Anyhow here is a bit more detail on that scene I could use help with the settings.

As you can see the liquid remains in horizontal "steps" on the sword but I would like to have is more smooth like with the tear. I increased subD to 4 and smoothing is set to 1 with 10 iterations. I changed the marker particle scale to 4 as well (seeing that from the teardrop settings- I have no idea what that does so far).

So if you have further ideas (would I need to use a source to have liquid coming after the initial ?) I greatly appreciate!

fluidos4.jpg
    1492 x 965 - 542K
    edited June 2019

Sadly those steps are part of the plugin itself. It calculates the fluids and the surfaces subdividing everything in "cubes".

Try reseting the values as I told you before and use "Marker particle scale" at 3. It should give you a different effect.

If it still gives you that effect, try moving a bit both sword and fluid mass. Not too much, just a bit on the direction of the steps and try again! wink

Post edited by Imago on
    Linwelly said:

All right, thanks a lot for your help so far, reducing the size helped tremendously speeding up things, the calculation now takes about 5 min so perfectly fine (setting was on gpu all the time). But I keep having sort of memory leaks, so when i try to change things in the scene and restart calculating the sim always puts the settings back to what they were in the last version, so I always have to set up the scene fresh to avoid that and the setting is to delete the old baked files, so I wonder how that happens.

Anyhow here is a bit more detail on that scene I could use help with the settings.

As you can see the liquid remains in horizontal "steps" on the sword but I would like to have is more smooth like with the tear. I increased subD to 4 and smoothing is set to 1 with 10 iterations. I changed the marker particle scale to 4 as well (seeing that from the teardrop settings- I have no idea what that does so far).

So if you have further ideas (would I need to use a source to have liquid coming after the initial ?) I greatly appreciate!

The steps are aggravated by the subdivision.

Besides the Imago advices, you could minimize the steps artifacts,reduce the subdivision to 2 or better to 1, if it is suitable. Increase the Surface Smoothing value (advanced settings), maybe to 0.95 and increase the Smoothing iterations to 10 or more.

the sim always puts the settings back to what they were in the last version

Do you mean that the settings are not saved in file?

Or are you referring to that you get the same old simulation in the mesher?, in this case, maybe you are seeing the old baked files. If you don't set on Erase baked files, the plugin only overwrites the files. That is, if your first simulation made 100 frames, and the new 80, you will have 20 extra frames the mesher can read (unless you set the 100 % completion at frame 80 in timeline).

• The promo shots all look amazing, now I just need to start learning how to use Fluidos.

Just starting today with this, I have Fluidos and Waves, jumped straight to the waves scenes, and everytime I select one it says some assets are missing, etc, even if i already just did it for the same scene and start over (this will be a bigger problem as I do most of my daz work offline).

As I said, this is the first I'm trying to use it, haven't even started with the Fluidos base yet, so there are certainly numerous things I'll need to know that I do not yet know. And on that note, I'll have to look through to try to understand directions, such as "Select a suitable Baked files folder...", which means nothing to me, except that it makes me think of where my rendered images are saved.

I need to take some time to go through the tutorials and learn this properly, but right now I was just trying to see how the preset scenes would work for some surf I need in a scene.

Hi, Brian. Thank you!

this will be a bigger problem as I do most of my daz work offline

Fluidos works offline without problem, don't worry.

"Select a suitable Baked files folder...", which means nothing to me, except that it makes me think of where my rendered images are saved.

The plugin needs to save the geometrý and other results of calculations in a folder. Choose any free folder or create one in your system. You could use the same for all scenes or create another for a new scene.

If your problem about missing assets persists, let me know, please.

• Just got this the other day and having a lot of fun with it!  Running Daz on a Mac is often slow but you've done an awesome job with the Mac version of this.  So far it is stable, fast, and is giving me great output!

Just got this the other day and having a lot of fun with it!  Running Daz on a Mac is often slow but you've done an awesome job with the Mac version of this.  So far it is stable, fast, and is giving me great output!

I'm glad you like it !

• Alberto said:

Hi, Brian. Thank you!

this will be a bigger problem as I do most of my daz work offline

Fluidos works offline without problem, don't worry.

"Select a suitable Baked files folder...", which means nothing to me, except that it makes me think of where my rendered images are saved.

The plugin needs to save the geometrý and other results of calculations in a folder. Choose any free folder or create one in your system. You could use the same for all scenes or create another for a new scene.

If your problem about missing assets persists, let me know, please.

Hi Alvin,

While I haven't had time to really dig in and work out doing everything I want to, I did figure out that a big issue I was having was that I had not digitally registered fluidos (I probably installed manually, so dim didn't register it until I realized and used it). After that, instead of jumping straight into trying to make the waves I wanted, I started from the very beginning, and then the guide made sense. Thank you

• I bought this awhile ago and for some reason never bothered with it until now. Heres the problem. I can't find the tutorial files for the life of me. When I open the plug in all it has in it is a few scenes, a few porps, a few scripts and a couple of shaders. 13 items in total. Nothing about a read me file or tutorial. I right clicked on the icon for it and I did find something that said "more info" and in that I found  something that said recipes and a user manual. When I double click on that a little lego block pops up with a questiuon mark on it. If i click on that the screen turns a gold color but nothing else happens. At the very least can someone tell me where I can find the user manual if not tell me why this is happening? Thank you..

• There should be a separate package for the tutorials, if you find that (assuming it was installed), right-click, and select Show Installed Files you should get a window with a clickable link.

I bought this awhile ago and for some reason never bothered with it until now. Heres the problem. I can't find the tutorial files for the life of me. When I open the plug in all it has in it is a few scenes, a few porps, a few scripts and a couple of shaders. 13 items in total. Nothing about a read me file or tutorial. I right clicked on the icon for it and I did find something that said "more info" and in that I found  something that said recipes and a user manual. When I double click on that a little lego block pops up with a questiuon mark on it. If i click on that the screen turns a gold color but nothing else happens. At the very least can someone tell me where I can find the user manual if not tell me why this is happening? Thank you..

The manual should be inside your library, at /ReadMe's/. The documents are 54155_fluidos-user-manual.pdf and 54155_fluidos-recipes-guide.pdf

Also, you can find them at http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/read_me/index/54155/start

About tutorials, as Richard said, you have to install them with DIM. The package is FLUIDOSforDazStudioTutorials. The tutorials will be in your library, at /General/Alvin BTmar/FLUIDOS for Daz Studio/. The names are: 54155_Fluidos Tutorial 1.mp4 and 54155_Fluidos Tutorial 2.mp4

Let me know if you have more doubts, please.

• Thanks a lot guys.

• ZombieLoveZombieLove Posts: 31

Okay, I am trying to get Fluidos II to use my GPU... so far, all it is using is my CPU. Any ideas? Ideally, I'd like to use both but if I can't then I would like to see which is faster and I can't get it to use the GPU I have (single GPU). There are two listed, I assume one is the onboard. I tried both, no joy.

FluidosNotUsingGPU.JPG
    990 x 1234 - 163K
    OpenCLUse.JPG
    346 x 488 - 39K

Okay, I am trying to get Fluidos II to use my GPU... so far, all it is using is my CPU. Any ideas? Ideally, I'd like to use both but if I can't then I would like to see which is faster and I can't get it to use the GPU I have (single GPU). There are two listed, I assume one is the onboard. I tried both, no joy.

Fluidos II uses only the CPU in some calculations. When you enable OpenCL, some of the tasks are executed by the device you selected (CPU or GPU), and the CPU do the remaining ones. But if you disabled OpenCL, all the calculations are executed by the CPU. Nevertheless, some tasks are carried out only by the CPU.

Some systems run faster Fluidos II when OpenCL is disabled, others when it is enabled and GPU selected. Try the options to find out the faster in your computer. 

Alberto said:

Fluidos II uses only the CPU in some calculations. When you enable OpenCL, some of the tasks are executed by the device you selected (CPU or GPU), and the CPU do the remaining ones. But if you disabled OpenCL, all the calculations are executed by the CPU. Nevertheless, some tasks are carried out only by the CPU.

Some systems run faster Fluidos II when OpenCL is disabled, others when it is enabled and GPU selected. Try the options to find out the faster in your computer. 

Thanks for the info! So, there are quite a few settings that I don't know what they do... I guess by google searching them and other fluid simulation software but if there is a comprehensive list that covers all of Fluidos II that would be great. Loving the product so far, the multi-threading really makes a difference!!

Alberto said:

Thanks for the info! So, there are quite a few settings that I don't know what they do... I guess by google searching them and other fluid simulation software but if there is a comprehensive list that covers all of Fluidos II that would be great. Loving the product so far, the multi-threading really makes a difference!!

I'm so sorry, I found the manual for Fluidos 1.0 and it helped. Thanks!

Alberto said:

I'm so sorry, I found the manual for Fluidos 1.0 and it helped. Thanks!

The Fluidos II manual is inside the "ReadMe's" folder of your library. Its name is "64599_fluidos2manual.pdf"

You're welcome!

• KeironKeiron Posts: 413

Hi Sorry but This Is way to complicated to use

The tutorials aren't that helpful, there lots of examples on Youtube . but it doesn't show you how to do most of it

We need worked examples on how to set up the App for each

I would like to set tap ie source where i want to place it, and sink where i want it to go, set the flow rate, it's diameter and also different add effects

I've managed to get  a single flow from a to be thats all

Had a few crashes and daz going off on one

Over all, sadly not that impressed