Virtual Reality, is there a future for Daz without it?

Comments

• wfwf Posts: 19
    edited May 2019

and here you can play around in VR with the genesis 2 clothes you buy in the Daz3d shop: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0XPrU43RfM

Post edited by wf on
  • TaozTaoz Posts: 9,739
    wf said:

and here you can play around in VR with the genesis 2 clothes you buy in the Daz3d shop: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0XPrU43RfM

What program is that? Judging from the speed it looks like he's using a pretty heavy machine.

Taoz said:
    wf said:

What program is that? Judging from the speed it looks like he's using a pretty heavy machine.

It's Virt-A-Mate. It's developed in Unity3D and I hope the developers of Daz3D is looking into migrate their application to some 3d engine because they might be able to focus on more important stuff than the editor and graphics rending. Virt-A-Mate doesn't have the rendering tools but I think it will be easy to implement later this year when Unity3D releases directX raytracing features.

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,739
    wf said:
    Taoz said:
    wf said:

It's Virt-A-Mate. It's developed in Unity3D and I hope the developers of Daz3D is looking into migrate their application to some 3d engine because they might be able to focus on more important stuff than the editor and graphics rending. Virt-A-Mate doesn't have the rendering tools but I think it will be easy to implement later this year when Unity3D releases directX raytracing features.

OK, thanks. I like that you can see the changes in real time when editing textures and stuff, that could be really useful in DS.

• davidtriunedavidtriune Posts: 452
    edited November 2019

I've attached a VR cam for you to use. To use it, open Virtual Desktop, set degrees to 105, distance to 1.5m. 

Load up the file, open 2 viewports (window->viewports->side by side). (don't drag the middle border. if you do, reset using window->layout->select style and select any style.) set left viewport to "left eye" right viewport to "right eye".  Press shift-f11 to go full screen, press f6 to go SRS mode in virtual desktop. move around the camera in the left viewport.

This is for a 1080p monitor. If you have a different resolution, you have to set each camera eye to your resolution halved. e.g. 1920 x 1080 -> 960 x 1080

Each eye has a special geometry hider that shows only what your eyes are looking at, reducing render time. For best results, I recommend using daz 4.11 and these render settings: pixel filter gaussian 1.00, burn highlights and crush blacks to 0.00.

I use this to pose my characters and it really is faster and easier. 

It really is amazing that you can see your creations in VR.

duf
    duf
    srs cam.duf
    Post edited by davidtriune on
    edited May 2019

I use this to pose my characters and it really is faster and easier. 

It really is amazing that you can see your creations in VR.

Great! I tried to setup a stereo-camera to render SBS material but failed. I tried your camera settings and it was working just fine! It didn't work that well in iray-mode though. I wish you can lower the iray-calculation priority. Maybe it's working if you have atleast two graphics adapters to render the graphics and calculate the image separately.

However, look at the character in person is one thing, but think about posing your character with your 6Dof controllers as well :)

http://www.nsfwyoutube.com/watch?v=LsOmSLIIM5c (Posing the model at 2:32)

Post edited by wf on
  • nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714

A future?

Over what time-span? One year, two or are you talking 10 or 20?

I expect the duration you have in mind might have some baring.

Personally, I don't care; I am not interested in wearing a mask - except perhaps on occassions.

Some folks need counselling the second their phone is out of reach; I use it as a somewhat useful tool. I expect I will wait and see with Virtual Reality.

And now it's possible to buy clothes from DAZ store and import them directly into this software. It seems like you can stich and modify the clothes as well. They are all simulated in real time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0XPrU43RfM

• skyitskyit Posts: 25
    edited June 2019

i tested my oculus rift S with VAM

and...

it let you touch your daz3d model, let watch eyes by eyes like in reality it is just WOW!!!

Post edited by skyit on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,888
    skyit said:

and...

it let you touch your daz3d model, let watch like in reality it is just WOW!!!

But you cannot feel him or her devil

they day they make sensor gloves or better a bodysuit that can nobody will leave their houses!

• NathNath Posts: 2,721
    Kitsumo said:

I dont think anyone is denying anyone else anything, just responding to the OP's suggestion that Daz will go bankrupt if they dont jump on VR right now. Things don't work that way.

I'm sure some here can remember before color monitors were a thing. They seem like an obvious choice now, but at the time it was a waiting game between hardware makers, content producers, software developers, and customers. Nobody wants to be the first to stick their neck out.

...First PC my parents had in 1984 or 5 - green monitor and MS-DOS. 20 MB harddisk.

Gawd, I feel old now.

i can't explain the feeling when you watch and touch with virtual hands your daz model in oculus, it's just like real, this software is super!

• James_HJames_H Posts: 1,009
    skyit said:

and...

it let you touch your daz3d model, let watch eyes by eyes like in reality it is just WOW!!!

Do you have to subscribe to do this with your own stuff? I'm not desperate to sample community material, but I would like to load up my own DAZ stuff and then get  to look round. 

jash147 said:
    skyit said:

and...

Do you have to subscribe to do this with your own stuff? I'm not desperate to sample community material, but I would like to load up my own DAZ stuff and then get  to look round. 

you can import any daz clothes you want and add physic inside the software;VAM  is not free, you will need the creator edition (8$)

the best part is that you can watch it with your eyes and touch or move it in the virtual world :D

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,142
    nicstt said:

A future?

Over what time-span? One year, two or are you talking 10 or 20?

I expect the duration you have in mind might have some baring.

Personally, I don't care; I am not interested in wearing a mask - except perhaps on occassions.

Some folks need counselling the second their phone is out of reach; I use it as a somewhat useful tool. I expect I will wait and see with Virtual Reality.

Agreed. I figure I'm not going to see any real adoption in my lifetime, so I don't worry about it. LOL

Laurie

• wolf359wolf359 Posts: 3,772

VR will possibly be widely adopted when the headsets become
    affordable and as light &unobtrusive as cheap pair of sunglasses.
    and the number of platforms for content development has been reduced to no more than two.

Android & Apple IOS
    Mac OS & Windows

Blank & Blank

skyit said:
    jash147 said:
    skyit said:

and...

you can import any daz clothes you want and add physic inside the software;VAM  is not free, you will need the creator edition (8$)

the best part is that you can watch it with your eyes and touch or move it in the virtual world :D

And.. you don't even need a VR headset to be able to use it. But you also can create some work on a monitor, if you prefer that and then get into the virtual world to really get into the details.

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,601
    wf said:
    skyit said:
    jash147 said:
    skyit said:

and...

And.. you don't even need a VR headset to be able to use it. But you also can create some work on a monitor, if you prefer that and then get into the virtual world to really get into the details.

true, but posing in real time with my hands and life size is what makes the experience IMO.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,888

Well chicken and egg situation here, DAZ might not need VR but as the technology advances and people can interact more with 3D objects VR will almost certainly need DAZ as they make the most realistic 3D people 

Well chicken and egg situation here, DAZ might not need VR but as the technology advances and people can interact more with 3D objects VR will almost certainly need DAZ as they make the most realistic 3D people 

I've been using DAZ for many years and it was soo much ahead of the Smith Micro Poser experience. Now, when I've been experimenting in Unity3D with Daz characters in virtual reality and I also found the Virt-A-Mate way way ahead. It's a bit hard to go back to DAZ but as today, it's still creating the very best renderings. Now, it seems that the content created for VAM need a shop as well. They are just shared in patreons/reddit threads.

Valid point. As I have been experimenting with VR, Unity and games in general the past month, the DAZ figures are the best assets I have used in Unity by far. the quality and realism really shows when you are standing next to lifesize victoria and can reach out and grab her and pose her unlike the game mesh figures I have tried (although it was cool standing next to lifesize superhero figures like Bats and Superman from Injustice)

With the new Oculus quest being wireless and being able to access the PC also, it makes being in VR even better. I am saving for some VR gloves and eventually the Valve index once they get the bugs worked out and the price drops a bit. Now we (VR users) just need more developers to get on the VR wagon.

Since i started using VR, I am having a very hard time opening up Daz Studio as creating scenes on my desktop and renders just don't cut it anymore. As such, my spending here has also dropped since the money has gone to tools to get 3D assets into Unity and also other game titles for VR

VR will almost certainly need DAZ as they make the most realistic 3D people 

Not quite convinced VR will actually "Need" Daz per say

Remember "Morph3d"??

Despite an abundance of Attractive,Ideal BMI ,early 20's nordic people,they did not exactly capture the imagination of the Unity content market AFAIK

Now they have become  'Tafi"
    offering some  exotic scheme to help people create  and sell "monetized Avatars" .

I am curious to see if that pans out any better than it did for "Gofigure".

• I just discovered VaM or Virt A Mate and I am stunned by what I am seeing so far.   I thought this was a cool video on hair and figure physics.  Please look past the goofiness:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-QPO92HFQI

Now maybe in a year from now this might be something really cool.  I think down the road that VR is the future.  Being in the scene with your digital props....how do you beat that? 

• What ever it is, VR just hasn't caught on, people haven't embraced it. It's totally useless for modeling and art fine art, as no one can keep a steady hand that floats in the air, and has nothing to steady against, believe me I tried with the Vive for some time just couldn't make anything good ! So there is noway DAZ would put in VR if it's not ready yet.

What ever it is, VR just hasn't caught on, people haven't embraced it. It's totally useless for modeling and art fine art, as no one can keep a steady hand that floats in the air, and has nothing to steady against, believe me I tried with the Vive for some time just couldn't make anything good ! So there is noway DAZ would put in VR if it's not ready yet.

Unlike you I have not stopped using VR since I tried it earlier this year. I use it for 3d also, there is a plugin for Blender that allows you to model and view scenes in VR, same for Maya. There are many other VR sculpting apps, some low end some high.You can view and use Sketchfab in VR, I watch most of my media in VR, VR is what got me into using unity and Unreal and usimng my DAZ content in them instead of DS. Like Siciliano I am a VirtAMate user also and being able to pose lifesize DAZ figures is amazing.

VR is growing, there are new headsets coming out all the time, the tech is getting better and better, and right now all the consumer PC only headsets are selling out for the holiday season, probably due to the new halfLife gamiing coming out on VR only in march which I have preordered.

Not saying Daz Studio has to be VR only or anything, but it would be nice to have that option, even if only to walk into and thru your scene

• What ever it is, VR just hasn't caught on, people haven't embraced it. It's totally useless for modeling and art fine art, as no one can keep a steady hand that floats in the air, and has nothing to steady against, believe me I tried with the Vive for some time just couldn't make anything good ! So there is noway DAZ would put in VR if it's not ready yet.

Unlike you I have not stopped using VR since I tried it earlier this year. I use it for 3d also, there is a plugin for Blender that allows you to model and view scenes in VR, same for Maya. There are many other VR sculpting apps, some low end some high.You can view and use Sketchfab in VR, I watch most of my media in VR, VR is what got me into using unity and Unreal and usimng my DAZ content in them instead of DS. Like Siciliano I am a VirtAMate user also and being able to pose lifesize DAZ figures is amazing.

VR is growing, there are new headsets coming out all the time, the tech is getting better and better, and right now all the consumer PC only headsets are selling out for the holiday season, probably due to the new halfLife gamiing coming out on VR only in march which I have preordered.

Not saying Daz Studio has to be VR only or anything, but it would be nice to have that option, even if only to walk into and thru your scene

I will say it brings games to a totally new level of excitement! but I can model way quicker with a mouse and touch screen just personal preference !

• I will agree that maybe the tech is not there yet to replace anything, but I think most can agree that its the future.  I worked for a company called Bellsouth Mobility in the early 90's and we had a phone called Simon.  It was not ready for prime time and most employees I spoke to didn't really think it would be a huge hit.  Look where we are now.....

https://www.citrix.com/blogs/2012/09/18/20-years-ago-the-first-smartphone-was-developed-whats-next-for-mobility/

I believe VR and AR will be the way we work and play in the next 10 to 20 years...maybe sooner.  

• kaotkblisskaotkbliss Posts: 2,914

I thought VR would be a cool toy to maybe someday get to play around with, would think nothing of it if I couldn't though because at the time there wasn't much out for it and especially with the cost.

I ended up getting one of the Tomb raider games at a huge discount (I think it was the new Tomb Raider 1 remake they put out not that long ago) which came bundled with the VR version of the game. So I thought cool, maybe someday if I save up enough I could try it now that I have something VR ready, still pricy.

On a whim I started looking at different sets and reading a little about them and I found for me, Windows Mixed reality is probably the way to go. It works with Steam (which was a requirememnt at the time I looksed since that's where my TR game is) and it's a lot cheaper than Oculous, which means playing around with VR is more likely than originally thought.

Reading through this thread, I realized what a timesaver and just how cool it would be to be able to enter your scenes and make adjustments like talked about. You'd sit down at your PC, plop in all your objects, then slap the headgear on then just pick up and move things where you want them. Not to mention being able to instantly look around your characters as you pose them to make sure the pose is what you want and looks right, see where it's clipping and adjust quickly, etc.

What about actual content creation.???... I create clothes as well as Animations and VFX . VR has a future as a consumption medium however it's content will still have to be created.
    QUEEN JUDITH.jpg
    800 x 1028 - 95K
  • kaotkblisskaotkbliss Posts: 2,914
    wolf359 said:
    What about actual content creation.???... I create clothes as well as Animations and VFX . VR has a future as a consumption medium however it's content will still have to be created.

True, and I was speaking strictly from a user perspective since without a lot of time and a boat-load of practice wouldn't be any good at creating content.

I could see a specific content creation app where you could create content in much the same way one works with clay. Being able to rotate, push, pull, stretch, etc. all in the palm of your hand. Find 2 verts that aren't welded? Turn your finger into a welding gun and zap them together just by touching!