Light Dome PRO-R Official Render / Questions Thread [COMMERCIAL]

Comments

• DreamlightDreamlight Posts: 348
    edited December 1969

THank you for the detailed work around!

jerham said:
    A quick question. Someone mentioned they got this to work with Photoshop Elements. Do you know if Elements supports all of the action features you use with Lightdome Pro R ?

Can confirm the actions work fine with elements (i use version 8). However id did install it a bit different than mentioned here in the thread.

-1- Copy the Dreamlight LDP-R.atn file to: C:\ProgramData\Adobe\Photoshop Elements\8.0\Locale\en_us\Workflow Panels\actions
    -2- Delete: C:\ProgramData\Adobe\Photoshop Elements\8.0\Locale\en_us\MediaDatabase.db3
    -3- Startup elements and wait for the rebuilding of the contents and effects

From there just following the instructions that come with LDP-R, to load the renders. You can run the action script with the action player.
    - Select EDIT Guided (default on EDIT Full)
    - Click on Automated Actions -> Action Player
    - In step 1 select Deamlight LDP-R, now Step 2 shows all 4 actions (select LDP -R Combine first and play the action).

• VanguardVanguard Posts: 481
    edited December 1969

I was very interested in this product as it seemed to describe my workflow for some work, with the multiple renders and light setups, so I gave it a try.

My first test was to load First Bastion's - Gallerie Bastion Spacious Interior scene and remove the skylight panes. Then Loaded LDP-R and positioned the camera. That was it. Hit the render script and when done loaded the images in PS.

Worked out pretty much as expected and nearly identical to one of my workflows The time saved by the automation is well worth it for me. Very high value product.

I did have a bit of a journey finding the action file for PS. The action files were installed to the 32 bit PS Program Files folder. Fortunately DIM tells you were it put files when it installs stuff. I use PS CS6 Extended 64bit so I moved them to the AppData folder for consistency. It loaded fine and ran without a problem.

I am not a big fan of all the fog and haze, but for the most part that can be turned off and adjustments made.

I look forward to dabbling with this some more. Interested to see how it might handle DOF

Gallery.jpg
    1000 x 1500 - 578K
    edited December 1969

Will do! :)

domwer said:
    If it is, give us feedback, then I wil buy it myself.

Thx
    Dom

As of now, the rendered layers will not work in the Gimp, just by stacking them as is. There's tons of functions performed to get the special LDP-R look and feel. However, if possible, and if Gimp can re-produce similar PS actions, I might do a Gimp version of the actions.
    edited December 1969

Wow, that looks awesome! I'm glad it works so well indoors, thanks for posting!

Vanguard said:
    I was very interested in this product as it seemed to describe my workflow for some work, with the multiple renders and light setups, so I gave it a try.

My first test was to load First Bastion's - Gallerie Bastion Spacious Interior scene and remove the skylight panes. Then Loaded LDP-R and positioned the camera. That was it. Hit the render script and when done loaded the images in PS.

Worked out pretty much as expected and nearly identical to one of my workflows The time saved by the automation is well worth it for me. Very high value product.

I did have a bit of a journey finding the action file for PS. The action files were installed to the 32 bit PS Program Files folder. Fortunately DIM tells you were it put files when it installs stuff. I use PS CS6 Extended 64bit so I moved them to the AppData folder for consistency. It loaded fine and ran without a problem.

I am not a big fan of all the fog and haze, but for the most part that can be turned off and adjustments made.

I look forward to dabbling with this some more. Interested to see how it might handle DOF

edited December 1969

That's really odd, thanks for posting! It should render 7_Mix.bmp as well. You shouldn't have to create that manually. But I also notice (from your screenshot), that the fog / haze layer is gone? The missing layer 7 is really puzzling me, and I'll look into this.

Quick solutios:
    As for loading in the right order, if your PS CS4 changes the order, simply load them one at the time. First 0_Fog.bmp, then 1_Background.bmp and so forth..

Then, since 7_Mix.bmp is missing, when you have all 7 images loaded, in the correct order, create a new image with the same dimensions, and just let it have a black color. Make sure it's on top of the other images. Then run the LDP-R Combine action.

Let me know how that works!

Luci45 said:
    I have Photoshop CS4. I can't get the action to work right - it seems to be placing the wrong renders on the various layers.

When I tried opening the layers all at once, in order from 0-6, PS window reordered them. So I opened them one at a time and this put them in proper order.

When I ran the the action, the layers were obviously mis-named, so I didn't try to do anything more. I am assuming that ambient layer should look like ambient and sunlight layer should look like sunlight, as shown in the video?

And the last step of the action was to try to close all the files - it asked me if I wanted to save the last one before closing.

Edit: For some reason a "mix" layer wasn't created. I guess that's why the script didn't work. Weird. I'll try again. Or do I create that layer manually?

Edit #2: OK, tried several more times. It does not create a "mix" layer. The manual says: "Click on 0_Fog.jpg. Next, hold down SHIFT and click on 7_mix.jpg." I have layers 0-6 and no 7.

Is anyone else having this problem?

Edit #3: I downloaded the file again and reinstalled. Still does not create "7_mix.jpg"

(I am using Windows 7 and DS 4.6.)

edited December 1969

Some great renders in here so far, keep them coming folks!

Also, I'd love to hear what additional features you'd like to have in the next update. Kind of a wish-list...!

• IppotamusIppotamus Posts: 1,579
    edited December 1969

Finally able to do a proper piece.

-

Title: Hope Returns

"We do not remember what brings Hope home again, and again.
    Maybe it's not important.
    As long as she remembers the way."

HopeReturnsFinal.jpg
    1700 x 1700 - 1M
  • RenpatsuRenpatsu Posts: 828
    edited December 1969

One thing I'd like to know, from the videos and the PDF document it appears as if the sun rotation and sky dome rotation can only be adjusted one after the other and that there is no means to e.g. rotate a common object (e.g. NULL) to adjust both at the same time? I am asking because so far in the light sets I used (most on UE2 base) it is pretty much common to adjust the sun and sky dome rotation at the same time, to make sure they are aligned - otherwise it might get fiddly or inaccurate.

• Kyu2130Kyu2130 Posts: 97
    edited August 2013

well i see many of you are posting your first renders. So i figured i would post mine. the only problem i am having right now is that i am loosing the eye reflection.

test.jpg
    1080 x 1700 - 734K
    Post edited by Kyu2130 on
  • MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496
    edited August 2013

Also, I'd love to hear what additional features you'd like to have in the next update. Kind of a wish-list...!

I'd love to have the ability to choose where the rendered images are going- by default they are saving in my render library but I tend to put everything in there in sub-folders just for organization purposes - it would save a bit of time to be able to just save directly into a folder I choose rather than go look for the files and move them manually.

Also - here my first try with LDPR. I didn't do much more than move the sun light a bit - didn't adjust the layers or add a filter at all, so this is pretty much "out of the box."

ThisIsntGoingToEndWell_sm_LDPR.jpg
    840 x 633 - 175K
    Post edited by MarkIsSleepy on
  • SuperdogSuperdog Posts: 765
    edited December 1969

I've read this thread and the product page and I still don't understand how this works. I'm rendering with Octane Render. Could I use this product with it? How does it make renders quicker?

• DomDom Posts: 8
    edited August 2013

Wrong Post sorry

Post edited by Dom on
    edited December 1969

That's correct, they are separated to give more freedom of design. If you want the sun to come at a certain angle, and want to teak the backdrop to match your scene, it simply gives more freedom.

Renpatsu said:
    One thing I'd like to know, from the videos and the PDF document it appears as if the sun rotation and sky dome rotation can only be adjusted one after the other and that there is no means to e.g. rotate a common object (e.g. NULL) to adjust both at the same time? I am asking because so far in the light sets I used (most on UE2 base) it is pretty much common to adjust the sun and sky dome rotation at the same time, to make sure they are aligned - otherwise it might get fiddly or inaccurate.
    edited December 1969

Impressive, thanks for sharing! Have you tired using Raytracing Depth of at least 1? If you render with 0, it will not render reflections...

kyu2130 said:
    well i see many of you are posting your first renders. So i figured i would post mine. the only problem i am having right now is that i am loosing the eye reflection.
    edited December 1969

Great dramatic style and love the layout of one larger main image, and the smaller ones on the side. Thanks for posting!

Ippotamus said:
    Finally able to do a proper piece.

-

Title: Hope Returns

"We do not remember what brings Hope home again, and again.
    Maybe it's not important.
    As long as she remembers the way."

edited December 1969

Octane Renderer uses your graphics card to produce the render, and therefore relies entirely on how many CUDA cores you have at your disposal. A typical speed gain is around 10-15 times faster compared to CPU based render engines. Octane Render engine is unbiased, which means it gives real world realistic renders and light flow across the images.

Light Dome PRO-R takes a different route, by rendering only what needs to be rendered, in layers, using the default CPU based DAZ Studio rendering engine. Rendering is performed only ONCE, thus saving tedious time for what normally is occupied by re-rendering and tweaks, Once rendered, you have instant adjustments in Photoshop, which are live. Light Dome PRO-R is not unbiased, it's more a very quick "looking good" solution, not meant to give 100% realistic renders.

Superdog said:
    I've read this thread and the product page and I still don't understand how this works. I'm rendering with Octane Render. Could I use this product with it? How does it make renders quicker?
    edited December 1969

Awesome, thanks for posting! Would love to see this one with the cold filter..! Choosing saving destination, great, added to the to do list! Thanks for your input... ;)

MDO2010 said:

I'd love to have the ability to choose where the rendered images are going- by default they are saving in my render library but I tend to put everything in there in sub-folders just for organization purposes - it would save a bit of time to be able to just save directly into a folder I choose rather than go look for the files and move them manually.

Also - here my first try with LDPR. I didn't do much more than move the sun light a bit - didn't adjust the layers or add a filter at all, so this is pretty much "out of the box."

• LindseyLindsey Posts: 1,985
    edited December 1969

domwer said:

Can you name the paths for element 11?
    The mentioned folder does not exist anymore.

If you're referring to "C:\Program Data" folder, it's hidden by default. You'll need set Windows to show hidden folders.

1. Open Control Panel>Folder Options
    2. Click on the View tab
    3. Click on "Show hidden files, folders and drives" to enable it.
    4. Click on OK.

C:\ProgramData should now be visible to you. I don't have Elements 11, but I would expect the default install directories should be the same as what I showed for Elements 10.

FolderOptions.jpg
    396 x 482 - 123K
    edited December 1969

Octane Renderer uses your graphics card to produce the render, and therefore relies entirely on how many CUDA cores you have at your disposal. A typical speed gain is around 10-15 times faster compared to CPU based render engines. Octane Render engine is unbiased, which means it gives real world realistic renders and light flow across the images.

Light Dome PRO-R takes a different route, by rendering only what needs to be rendered, in layers, using the default CPU based DAZ Studio rendering engine. Rendering is performed only ONCE, thus saving tedious time for what normally is occupied by re-rendering and tweaks, Once rendered, you have instant adjustments in Photoshop, which are live. Light Dome PRO-R is not unbiased, it's more a very quick "looking good" solution, not meant to give 100% realistic renders.

Superdog said:

I know how Octane works, I use it everyday, but I still don't understand how Light Dome PRO-R works. What bits of a scene does it render that can be altered in PS? If a scene takes x amount of time to render using DAZ Reality renderer how does this product reduce that rendering time? Does it render all lighting externally in PS? I'm interested in it because even with Octane some renders take awhile.

If I want to render a scene more quickly than Octane will this script do it? I'm not expecting Octane quality - just quicker renders for certain projects. I know Octane speeds depend on the GPU - I use a GTX 760 which cuts most render times by at least half with almost photo realistic quality. How much quicker is using Light Dome PRO-R compared to the DAZ Reality renderer?

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,317
    edited December 1969

This looks as if it would be so very useful to me, there are some really impressive results being shown.
    How long is the intro offer on for, I'm waiting for a GC prize I won but can't afford it before I get that?
    Thanks

• RabeRabe Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Great its finally out, but... like many others, I bought Light Dome Pro 2. Will there be a discount for owners of that?
    I liked it a lot, but in the end hardly used it, because of the genesis/ds3 incompatibillty.
    So a discount would be quite nice for us ldp 2 users.
    And my 2nd question, as far as I understood, LDPR renders different layers, not a complete picture?
    Do I actually NEED Photoshop or Photoshop Elements to be able to use LDPR at all?

• MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496
    edited December 1969

Important tip for idiots like me :) who don't read the directions: In the PDF that comes with this it says to make sure your background color is black - I just skimmed the instructions and missed this but it's a very important step!

If you don't do this your skies will come out very washed out - it's not as obvious with a bright sky (see my render posted earlier in this thread - the background in DAZ was set to a dark grey there) but if you try to render with a darker/nighttime sky applied to the dome it turns completely grey after being combined in Photoshop.

• JabbaJabba Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

Superdog said:

Superdog said:

I know how Octane works, I use it everyday, but I still don't understand how Light Dome PRO-R works. What bits of a scene does it render that can be altered in PS? If a scene takes x amount of time to render using DAZ Reality renderer how does this product reduce that rendering time? Does it render all lighting externally in PS? I'm interested in it because even with Octane some renders take awhile.

If I want to render a scene more quickly than Octane will this script do it? I'm not expecting Octane quality - just quicker renders for certain projects. I know Octane speeds depend on the GPU - I use a GTX 760 which cuts most render times by at least half with almost photo realistic quality. How much quicker is using Light Dome PRO-R compared to the DAZ Reality renderer?DL has explained, but perhaps didn't make it "obvious"... LDP-R only works using the built-in 3Delight renderer, not Octane, not Reality/Luxus/Luxrender

edited December 1969

Compared to Reality / Lux, Light Dome PRO-R is turbo charged... On steroids. ;) The process is divided in three steps. First, you set your scene in DAZ Studio, adjust ONE light (the sun) and if needed adjust the background skydome (rotation / image), before hitting the render button.

Light Dome PRO-R, then renders 7 layers (individual images): Sun, Sun Bounce, Sky, Sky Bounce, Ambient, Background and Fog / Haze. Some of these layers render with lights that have shadows turned on. Some render with lights having shadows turned off. Some render without shadows. You're not meant to do any tweaks inside DS other than setting the sun light rotation, tweaking the background to your taste and hitting render. THIS alone, saves you time, since you do not do any re-renders or other tweaks.

Light Dome PRO-R is further heavily optimized, and renders VERY fast compared to Lux render engine, since it fakes a lot of its effects, instead of relying on "real world lighting". It goes for "looking good fast".

The second step, is done inside Photoshop. You load all the images, hit a single Photoshop action, and you're then presented with a single layered image. Now, the fun begins, where you can adjust each layers intensity to your taste, add additional masks to control the way they affect your scene, change their color and so forth. Since this step is done LIVE, it's an insane time-saver. I say 10 times at least, but in reality, since you do ALL the tweaks inside Photoshop, the time saving can be a lot more.

And last, when you're happy with the preliminary look and feel, you click on a single Photoshop action "filter", that blends the layers into one image, and adds "second round" effects, such as glow, "gamma", vignette and tint. You can then further play with the effects to your taste, again, with LIVE and instant results.

After that, your image is done.

There are more advanced functions if you choose to play with them, and you can also render a separate layer with your own lights and add them to the mix.

So, all in all, it is fast inside DAZ Studio and it takes you out of DAZ Studio as soon as possible, and that's why it saves so much time.

Superdog said:

Superdog said:

If I want to render a scene more quickly than Octane will this script do it? I'm not expecting Octane quality - just quicker renders for certain projects. I know Octane speeds depend on the GPU - I use a GTX 760 which cuts most render times by at least half with almost photo realistic quality. How much quicker is using Light Dome PRO-R compared to the DAZ Reality renderer?

edited December 1969

Hey, indeed some very cool renders being shown here... Glad you like it! It should be on for 14 days.

This looks as if it would be so very useful to me, there are some really impressive results being shown.
    How long is the intro offer on for, I'm waiting for a GC prize I won but can't afford it before I get that?
    Thanks
    edited December 1969

Yes, I'm awaiting DAZ response for a special discount. Just not sure if there will be any or how much it will be, since they are running the sales process.

It renders in layers, which are then auto combined in PS, giving you total control over the look and feel. Plus there are filters with add more effects, such as glow, gamma, tint and vignette.

Yes, you need Photoshop (or Photosop Elements with the provided instructions (thank you all!)).

I'm looking at Gimp, and will keep you al updated on that.

Rabe said:
    Great its finally out, but... like many others, I bought Light Dome Pro 2. Will there be a discount for owners of that?
    I liked it a lot, but in the end hardly used it, because of the genesis/ds3 incompatibillty.
    So a discount would be quite nice for us ldp 2 users.
    And my 2nd question, as far as I understood, LDPR renders different layers, not a complete picture?
    Do I actually NEED Photoshop or Photoshop Elements to be able to use LDPR at all?

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,317
    edited December 1969

Hey, indeed some very cool renders being shown here... Glad you like it! It should be on for 14 days.

Thanks

Thanks hope the GC comes through by then.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,615
    edited December 1969

...well reading what people have been dealing with and thinking a bit, decided to wait on this.

Personally I prefer a plugin/set that I can just load and render within Daz Studio without having to use (as well as purchase and learn) a second application. There just seem to be too many adjustments needed to suit my workflow, and some of the effects I've seen, I can achieve or at least come close to with the light and camera sets I already have. True, it may not be as flexible (for one, I still need a good night time setting) but it's a tradeoff I'm willing to accept.

The results I've seen so far are very nice, but the extra steps and added expense (even for PS Elements) pretty much persuaded me to stick with what I have for now.

• Robo2010Robo2010 Posts: 56
    edited August 2013

Just wondering if Dreamlight is going to update LightDome Pro, LightDome Pro 2.0, Mood Master DS Z-Depth FX Layers. I spent money on these.

Post edited by Robo2010 on
    edited December 1969

Compared to Reality / Lux, Light Dome PRO-R is turbo charged... On steroids. ;) The process is divided in three steps. First, you set your scene in DAZ Studio, adjust ONE light (the sun) and if needed adjust the background skydome (rotation / image), before hitting the render button.

Light Dome PRO-R, then renders 7 layers (individual images): Sun, Sun Bounce, Sky, Sky Bounce, Ambient, Background and Fog / Haze. Some of these layers render with lights that have shadows turned on. Some render with lights having shadows turned off. Some render without shadows. You're not meant to do any tweaks inside DS other than setting the sun light rotation, tweaking the background to your taste and hitting render. THIS alone, saves you time, since you do not do any re-renders or other tweaks.

Light Dome PRO-R is further heavily optimized, and renders VERY fast compared to Lux render engine, since it fakes a lot of its effects, instead of relying on "real world lighting". It goes for "looking good fast".

The second step, is done inside Photoshop. You load all the images, hit a single Photoshop action, and you're then presented with a single layered image. Now, the fun begins, where you can adjust each layers intensity to your taste, add additional masks to control the way they affect your scene, change their color and so forth. Since this step is done LIVE, it's an insane time-saver. I say 10 times at least, but in reality, since you do ALL the tweaks inside Photoshop, the time saving can be a lot more.

And last, when you're happy with the preliminary look and feel, you click on a single Photoshop action "filter", that blends the layers into one image, and adds "second round" effects, such as glow, "gamma", vignette and tint. You can then further play with the effects to your taste, again, with LIVE and instant results.

After that, your image is done.

There are more advanced functions if you choose to play with them, and you can also render a separate layer with your own lights and add them to the mix.

So, all in all, it is fast inside DAZ Studio and it takes you out of DAZ Studio as soon as possible, and that's why it saves so much time.

Superdog said:

Superdog said:

Sold! Thanks for the really detailed reply. I finally comprehend how it works now. That indeed would be very time saving for me even though I have Octane. Sometimes I don't really want the "Octane" look. Perhaps you could include this explanation somewhere on the product page?