Daz Studio Pro BETA - version 4.11.0.335! (*UPDATED*)

Comments

• marblemarble Posts: 7,449

How do I tell DIM to install the Beta without overwriting my 4.10 version?

• marble said:

You should just be able to select a different path from the settings in DIM. Just remember to change it back after the install. Thats what I did.

• DoctorJellybeanDoctorJellybean Posts: 7,812
    marble said:

The Beta can co-exist with the General Release. There is no need to select a different path, DIM will install the Beta into it's own program directory.

marble said:

You should just be able to select a different path from the settings in DIM. Just remember to change it back after the install. Thats what I did.

OK - thanks. Downloads seem slow today but hopefully I'll be able to play later. It's morning here in New Zealand, by the way.

marble said:
    marble said:

OK - thanks. Downloads seem slow today but hopefully I'll be able to play later. It's morning here in New Zealand, by the way.

The servers are a bit slow at the moment.

These are the paths of the General (C:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4) and Public (C:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4 Public Build) release installations, as installed by DIM. No need to select paths, etc.

edited July 2018
    marble said:
    marble said:

The servers are a bit slow at the moment.

These are the paths of the General (C:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4) and Public (C:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4 Public Build) release installations, as installed by DIM. No need to select paths, etc.

Oops - too late. I created a new folder called C:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio_Beta but never mind, I'm sure it will be fine there too.

[EDIT] Oddly it went ahead and installed in the Public Build folder anyway. Just put the docs and plugins in the new DAZStudio_Beta folder.

Post edited by marble on
  • L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479

By the time I finished this post, it looks like @marble found his answer. However, to help anyone else with the same question, I'm going to go ahead and post my answer with it's step-by-step instructions.

marble said:

To elaborate on whatshaneseymourstudio said, for Windows computers:

1. open DIM and click on the Start button
    2. after DIM is fully loaded, click on the "gear" icon in the upper right corner to access your settings
    3. in the resulting popup, click on the Installation tab
    4. you should now see options to locate the path for "64 bit Software" and "32 bit software"
    5. note the current path for "64 bit Software" and write it down if it's something other than C:/Program Files
    6. click on the "…" button, (ellipsis) to the right of the "64 bit Software" option
    7. browse to your preferred alternate location, creating a new folder if necessary, and Select Folder. For example, c:/DazBeta
    8. click on Accept.

Now install the Public Beta files

Once the beta files are installed

1. click on the "gear" icon in the upper right corner to access your settings 
    2. click on the "…" button, (ellipsis) to the right of the "64 bit Software" option
    3. browse to location you noted in step 5 above and Select Folder
    4. click on Accept

(One caveat: I have not done this myself.)

L'Adair said:

By the time I finished this post, it looks like @marble found his answer. However, to help anyone else with the same question, I'm going to go ahead and post my answer with it's step-by-step instructions.

marble said:

To elaborate on whatshaneseymourstudio said, for Windows computers:

1. open DIM and click on the Start button
    2. after DIM is fully loaded, click on the "gear" icon in the upper right corner to access your settings
    3. in the resulting popup, click on the Installation tab
    4. you should now see options to locate the path for "64 bit Software" and "32 bit software"
    5. note the current path for "64 bit Software" and write it down if it's something other than C:/Program Files
    6. click on the "…" button, (ellipsis) to the right of the "64 bit Software" option
    7. browse to your preferred alternate location, creating a new folder if necessary, and Select Folder. For example, c:/DazBeta
    8. click on Accept.

Now install the Public Beta files

Once the beta files are installed

1. click on the "gear" icon in the upper right corner to access your settings 
    2. click on the "…" button, (ellipsis) to the right of the "64 bit Software" option
    3. browse to location you noted in step 5 above and Select Folder
    4. click on Accept

(One caveat: I have not done this myself.)

Thanks again. I had already installed by the time I saw this but I had followed most of those points anyhow. I now have the 4.11 Beta and 4.10 co-existing. Pity all my workspace customisation settings have gone west but I'm working through putting it back to the way I like it.

• glaseyeglaseye Posts: 1,305

Okay, so here a test result with a scene using various functions:

dforce on a dress not designed for it

Sun/Sky only lighting in combination with my own ('physical') 'skydome and Depth of Field enabled with lots of shadow elements; a guaranteed succes for a noisy image

denoiser starting at 600 iterations (rendered to about 1100it/91% convergence)

and for good measurement - a beauty canvas...

-- It didn't crash --

The darker render is the original output, the lighter version my attempt of tonemapping the canvas with 'Picturenaut'

Alondra garden 2.jpg
    1080 x 1620 - 839K
    Alondra garden 2 tm.jpg
    1080 x 1620 - 927K

Ok, so loaded a scane in 4.11 Beta and spent a half-hour tweaking poses and so on. Suddenly the viewport cube froze and as I tried to click on it again the whole scene, along with the DAZ Studio application just disappeared. No warnings, no crash notification, just gone (along, of course, with all my posing tweaks). I checked the log - no indication of a problem there.

Windows Event Viewer shows the following ...

Faulting process id: 0xabc
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d41fb0d1e4edf3
    Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4 Public Build\DAZStudio.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4 Public Build\plugins\PowerPose\dzpowerpose.dll
    Report Id: 8e9592f9-e52f-4ee0-b2bb-7891406b84f2
    Faulting package full name: 
    Faulting package-relative application ID: 
    Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">;
      <System>
        <Provider Name="Application Error" />
        <EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID>
        <Level>2</Level>
        <Task>100</Task>
        <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2018-07-19T22:47:35.677286000Z" />
        <EventRecordID>10087</EventRecordID>
        <Channel>Application</Channel>
        <Computer>WIN10-NOVA</Computer>
        <Security />
      </System>
      <EventData>
        <Data>DAZStudio.exe</Data>
        <Data>4.11.0.171</Data>
        <Data>5b45b90a</Data>
        <Data>dzpowerpose.dll</Data>
        <Data>2.8.0.171</Data>
        <Data>5b45b90c</Data>
        <Data>c00000fd</Data>
        <Data>0000000000061e97</Data>
        <Data>abc</Data>
        <Data>01d41fb0d1e4edf3</Data>
        <Data>C:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4 Public Build\DAZStudio.exe</Data>
        <Data>C:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4 Public Build\plugins\PowerPose\dzpowerpose.dll</Data>
        <Data>8e9592f9-e52f-4ee0-b2bb-7891406b84f2</Data>
        <Data>
        </Data>
        <Data>
        </Data>
      </EventData>
    </Event>

edited July 2018

I reported the above to Tech Support (#275976) from the Help Menu but I have no idea if that is the procedure for reporting crashes/bugs.

Post edited by marble on

Also just discovered that my purchased plugins, KeyMate and GraphMate are not appearing in the list of installed plugins.

Above crash is repeatable when using the Active Pose tool. I did notice that there was no crash when loading a new scene with a base G3F but when I loaded a saved 4.10 scene with a G3M figure, it crashed immediately when I tried to pose using the Active Pose tool. This has also been added to the Bug Report.

• namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,031
    marble said:

Also just discovered that my purchased plugins, KeyMate and GraphMate are not appearing in the list of installed plugins.

You need to uninstall and reinstall these - they end up in the plugins folder for the version - DIM will take care of this for you, if you're using it.

• RobotHeadArtRobotHeadArt Posts: 904

Has anyone tried the polylines?  I was able to import an .obj that is made of polylines and see it in the viewport, applied the Iray Uber Shader to the surface, but no dice on it showing up in Iray preview or render.  I tried changing the Line Preview Color, Line Start Width, Line End Width, and Line UV Width but they had no affect on the viewport or render.

polyline1.JPG
    639 x 620 - 80K
    namffuak said:
    marble said:

You need to uninstall and reinstall these - they end up in the plugins folder for the version - DIM will take care of this for you, if you're using it.

I just copied the .dll files over into the new plugins folder. Seems to work ok.

edited July 2018

Here's what I noticed about the denoiser: I set it to start at around 100 and then watched what happened when the count reached 100. The image in the window did clear considerably but there was an instant softening of the image which I'm not too sure I like. I'm one of those who sets the Pixel FIlter Radius to 1.0 or below to make my image sharp so the denoiser counteracts that. Nevertheless, for animations it does make a big difference - probably halving the render time on the scene I tried.

I also tried it at a bit lower - 80 I think - and it still looked acceptable, especially for an animation frame.

Post edited by marble on
  • AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,140
    edited July 2018

WOW! Lovin' the denoiser. Here, I set it to start with the denoiser at 500 iterations and left it go to about 600. The original size was 3500x1400, which would take hours, even on my GPU at that size. I used DOF, Bloom, Spectral and Caustics. The look, to me, is totally respectable, even at the original size, but I've shrunken it here to 1800 pixels wide. The render took 41 minutes. I'm TOTALLY fine with a render under an hour. If it was CPU I'd be happy just to get a render in a half a day ;). Just to clarify there is no postwork on this at all other than the sig and the reduction. That's it.

Laurie

DwellersSml.jpg
    1800 x 720 - 255K
    Post edited by AllenArt on
  • JD_MortalJD_Mortal Posts: 758

I know what I am doing this weekend... Trying to cram my two Titan-V's into my rig with the two Titan-Xp (starwars edition) cards. I am anxious to see the results. However, I have to dig the two Titan-V's out from under a pile of junk in my room. I am not looking forward to that part. (Plus, I will also need to cut-up the starwars cards, because they are not standard widths. The guards around the air-intake protrudes into the circuit-board of any card on the other side.)

AllenArt, awesome render.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,890

There is definately a problem with DAZ Studio Pro 4.11.x Public Beta. 

a) I load Haperwood Trails & shift to about (-700, 80, -635)

b) I load Jonah HD for Ollie 8 at (42, 0, -5)

c) I apply for the Genesis 8 Starter Essentials the Base Pose Walking B pose

And the thigh for Jonah on my left becomes very distorted! I've not tested all poses but the ones I did didn't cause distortion. I've used this same pose on Genesis 8 males & females before but not on Jonah before.

And the thigh for Jonah on my left becomes very distorted! I've not tested all poses but the ones I did didn't cause distortion. I've used this same pose on Genesis 8 males & females before but not on Jonah before.

The pose issue is a known one, which will be fixed in the next update. As a workaround, leave posing limits on.

• nickalamannickalaman Posts: 196
    JD_Mortal said:

I know what I am doing this weekend... Trying to cram my two Titan-V's into my rig with the two Titan-Xp (starwars edition) cards. I am anxious to see the results. However, I have to dig the two Titan-V's out from under a pile of junk in my room. I am not looking forward to that part. (Plus, I will also need to cut-up the starwars cards, because they are not standard widths. The guards around the air-intake protrudes into the circuit-board of any card on the other side.)

AllenArt, awesome render.

I had a similar problem, so i picked up a 400mm PCIE 16X riser cable and have my Titan Z sitting outside my case. It's not the best solution but gave the cards room to breathe, thus lowering the temps.

The pose issue is a known one, which will be fixed in the next update. As a workaround, leave posing limits on.

OK, thanks.

IceCrMn said:

I'm having a problem getting a new dforce kerenel module compiled.
    I get the prompt telling me I need a new, I click "ok" it compiles for about 3 seconds then I get the error message popup saying "Error initializing OpenCL"

attached is the log

I also have this problem but I have an i7-3630um with intel HD Graphics 4000 and 16GB RAM. dForce worked on this same computer on all versions of DAZ Studio 4.10.

• jmtbankjmtbank Posts: 162
    edited July 2018

This is what I've been waiting for.  Havent had a crash yet.  Looks like I can start using Daz again more seriously for larger scenes rather than just individual game sprites.  4.10 has been a horrible time.

Took me a while to find the install option on the launcher.  Had to set 'private' as a category in options for it to show up.

Edit: 2 crashes whilst using Iray in viewport.  Big trouble loading some scenes without an OS restart (always 'fixes' the loading issue).  Never ever had to do this 4.10, but load instability was an issue there too.

Post edited by jmtbank on
  • Eustace ScrubbEustace Scrubb Posts: 2,686

What's with the added "Lines" parameters in the Surfaces tab?  And why don't they show up in ShaderMixer?

• gederixgederix Posts: 390
    marble said:

Above crash is repeatable when using the Active Pose tool. I did notice that there was no crash when loading a new scene with a base G3F but when I loaded a saved 4.10 scene with a G3M figure, it crashed immediately when I tried to pose using the Active Pose tool. This has also been added to the Bug Report.

I just experienced this. 2 hours work out the window while using active pose, start to pull a body part, daz freezes for a second and then just closes. One second working, the next Im staring at my desktop.

• RobotHeadArtRobotHeadArt Posts: 904

What's with the added "Lines" parameters in the Surfaces tab?  And why don't they show up in ShaderMixer?

It's part of the new support for polylines.  If you scroll up you can see my attempt to import polylines but for some reason they don't show up in the Iray renders.

gederix said:
    marble said:

I just experienced this. 2 hours work out the window while using active pose, start to pull a body part, daz freezes for a second and then just closes. One second working, the next Im staring at my desktop.

Yep - exactly my experience. I don't know how thw bug reporting works as in whether you can add to my ticket (275976).

There was nothing in the log when I looked but the Windows Event Viewer had the details I posted above.

• I have been setting up everything in 4.10 and then saving the scene and opening in 4.11 to render. Though I still sometimes render in 4.10 if I need canvases. I stopped trying various things in this BETA, other than renders, so that I don't have any chance at messing up any of my assets which I am not sure it would but have noticed some things breaking when working on the scene in 4.11 beta build. If I know that I want to try something I save a whole nother copy of the scene in a different folder for the Beta. I really love they cleanup of the Denoiser, just hope that it can be hashed out soon!

This discussion has been closed.