Is there a new improved daz studio on the horizon

ragamuffin57ragamuffin57 Posts: 132
edited June 2018 in The Commons

I have  thought maybe something is in the offing  or  Daz studio  major upgrade with an upgraded Genesis to  8.1 or even a quicker release of  Genesis 9   !?

As I have been following  couple of PAs who had posted up and coming products some time ago and all went dead  no immediate sign of the release ?  another PA is looking at  adding more functions  to Daz Studio 

So is Daz comming up with a major improved  studio??  there private build seems to be 4.11.0.157  with no sign to release a new public beta

are  PAs  awaiting for the new release of Daz to release their products to take into account the new features???  if any ??

With a upgrade  genesis 8.1 or 9  or  a new figure being presented with the new upgraded software ?? I know Studio is free  but they are starting to really lag behind  other free software .

I know a lot of people will say then just  import into another program. thats all very fine but I thought Daz business model was free software and then sell a bucket load of content that a the buyer could use without much frustration

Daz is a content supplier  but still has its own software but back in the day Daz charged for Studio  and competed against poser . 

As far as I personally can see Poser is dead in the water ?? we will have to see what their new  releasae will bring if there is one  ??

But the likes of blender are having more and more bells and whistles added  as there is a thriving  community out there contrubuting ??  Perhaps Daz  should offer  the ability to the wider community to help drive studio  forward !!

But the point i am making is that daz is a  content provider  and what  daz  sells needs a program  affordable free or paid that will seamlessly  intregate their content and having it all in house makes sense but only if Daz makes an effort to try and keep up along with the developments of their competitors

So what with some amazing content being offered  Like Ollie and dolb plus we are seeinig this month more  dForce items than straight  conforming clothing items  I think or would hope that Daz is going to come out with   major  addon like  another  rendering capability  improved  shaders taking in subdermal  layers could be apon us   'we can only hope'  :)  Or we just might also see Genesis 8.1 or 9   quicker than we think?? Is there any traction to this or am i adding 2+2 and making 5 ??

Post edited by ragamuffin57 on

Comments

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,033

Is there a new version on the horizon? Yes, since they're working on 4.11.

What will be in it? None knows except Daz - and they won't tell us - and vendors working with the new tech if there's one - who wouldn't have the right to tell us.

But seriously, I really doubt Daz would release a Genesis 9 only one year after G8....

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,081

Regarding the figures, I believe

Victoria 6 was released June 2013

Vitcoria 7 was released June 2015

Victoria 8 was released June 2017

Past performance does not guarantee future results

• BeeMKayBeeMKay Posts: 6,987
    edited June 2018

You're probably making 5.

There's always some progress - perhaps they'll upgrade dForce for more than clothing, or just have the latest versions of Iray and 3DLight implemented. And you can read everything that they are up to in the change log: http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/change_log#private_build_channel

For the current version 4.11.0.157 it reads:

Source maintenance

• The Camera Cube tool now uses tool controls on a given node to get/set values rather than its transform controls directly

• The Camera Cube tool now accounts for ERC driven values on a given node to address a possible “jump” when clicked

• Refactored viewport/view tool/mouse button/slider mouse handling; mouse positioning/anchoring, mouse event handling, remote operation

• Update to dForce 1.1.0.61

Who knows... maybe they finally fixed the jumping screen issue?

Post edited by BeeMKay on
  • TooncesToonces Posts: 919

Yes! No more jumping screen! (fingers crossed)

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,566

You are missing some points in your statements, DS doesn't have any competitors, maybe poser or XNALara, Blender is a modeling app, DS is not, so it doesn't have to compete with it. you can't create content inside DS, hence the reason DAZ supplies assets you can purchase for use in DS. Blender allows you to create everything you need for use in Blender,no comparison. While i agree that DS could use some new features, it does what it is intended to do very well IMO. Personally I will never say import into another program, if a user isn't happy using DS, then get a full modeling app and create your own content. I fully endorse DAZ selling content for use in DS and DS only. There are plenty of other places to purchase 3D content for use in other apps, it's just users don't want to pay those prices.

• swordkensiaswordkensia Posts: 348
    edited June 2018

I'm Looking forwards to the intelligent Denoiser, and what looks like Iray polylines which could be used to generate Iray native hair/fur objects.??.., though that last bit is pure speculation...

Post edited by swordkensia on
  • jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281

jumping screen? Other than the obvious...uh, the screen jumps...what do you mean?  

Toonces said:

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,823

You are missing some points in your statements, DS doesn't have any competitors, maybe poser or XNALara, Blender is a modeling app, DS is not, so it doesn't have to compete with it. you can't create content inside DS, hence the reason DAZ supplies assets you can purchase for use in DS. Blender allows you to create everything you need for use in Blender,no comparison. While i agree that DS could use some new features, it does what it is intended to do very well IMO. Personally I will never say import into another program, if a user isn't happy using DS, then get a full modeling app and create your own content. I fully endorse DAZ selling content for use in DS and DS only. There are plenty of other places to purchase 3D content for use in other apps, it's just users don't want to pay those prices.

I dunno, Reallusion iClone seems a pretty big compeditor lately 

• GoggerGogger Posts: 2,308
    jakiblue said:

jumping screen? Other than the obvious...uh, the screen jumps...what do you mean?  

Toonces said:

I get this too - sometimes when you go to move the camera, even just a nudge, it will suddenly be pointing off in some random, crazy direction.  I used to think it was my mouse somehow sending a mess of numbers to the control, but I see that it is not just me.  It's INFURIATING!  Thank God for Control-Z!

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,732
    th3Digit said:

Well mostly for animation I think, plus their characters are some years behind those from DAZ in quality, IMO.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929

Well the screen lag that makes DAZ 4.10.x all but unusuable for creating animations is going to be fixed it looks like and usually, in going from 4.8 to 4.9 and 4.9 to 4.10 an increment of the number after the 4. means a major new feature has been added so let's hope dForce is getting some major improvements in features and usuabilities. As dForce stands now it's not really worthwhile on my computer but my computer handles cloth simulations written using Unity's cloth simulation tools quite easily.

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

I'm Looking forwards to the intelligent Denoiser, and what looks like Iray polylines which could be used to generate Iray native hair/fur objects.??.., though that last bit is pure speculation...

Pretty sure that Denoiser will help a great deal when there is a lot of reflective stuff in the scene.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,576
    edited June 2018

...Blender used to be just a modelling programme, same for Modo, now they are both "do everything" ones like 3DS and C4D.  I actually don't want to see Daz go that same route.  Hexagon is being improved as I write (the 64 bit version is the most stable than I've ever seen in nearly a decade) and with the Daz - Hex bridge there is no need to bring full modelling capability into the programme.

As to Poser, Rendo and SmithMirco have that base covered pretty well while E-On caters to Vue (though Vanishing Point and Rendo have a few offerings as well).  Prices for content at these outlets are fairly reasonable, E-On and VP in particular.  True, pro content sites have exorbitant prices for our budgets particularly when you find out there are specific use restrictions and many models are not rigged or modular. I've also seen some pretty mediocre quality products on sites like TS as well for prices similar to here or even higher, so we are getting a pretty good deal here. 

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • j cadej cade Posts: 2,310
    kyoto kid said:

...Blender used to be just a modelling programme, same for Modo, now they are both "do everything" ones like 3DS and C4D.  I actually don't want to see Daz go that same route.  Hexagon is being improved as I write (the 64 bit version is the most stable than I've ever seen in nearly a decade) and with the Daz - Hex bridge there is no need to bring full modelling capability into the programme.

As to Poser, Rendo and SmithMirco have that base covered pretty well while E-On caters to Vue (though Vanishing Point and Rendo have a few offerings as well).  Prices for content at these outlets are fairly reasonable, E-On and VP in particular.  True, pro content sites have exorbitant prices for our budgets particularly when you find out there are specific use restrictions and many models are not rigged or modular. I've also seen some pretty mediocre quality products on sites like TS as well for prices similar to here or even higher, so we are getting a pretty good deal here. 

.... Blender was never "just a modelling program" unless you were using it before it was opensourced, which I'm pretty sure you weren't. Character animation, the game engine, and even the VSE, I think, predate version 2.0.
  • wolf359wolf359 Posts: 3,764
    Taoz said:
    th3Digit said:

Well mostly for animation I think, plus their characters are some years behind those from DAZ in quality, IMO.

Taoz said:
    th3Digit said:

Right now Daz's only competitor in the space is Reallusion Iclone pro.

Unlike Daz they have published a road Map for 2018.
    This Fall ,the New  Character creator 3 will be a stand alone program
    that will not require the purchase of Iclone itself  as one must do now to get Character creator 2.

CC3 will come bundled with Nvidia Iray (BIG mistake IMHO)
    Here is a sample of the CCS figure rendered in Reallusion Iray.

And the  clothing content creation tool will be replaced with their equivalent of the DS transfer utility in terms of ease 

Many Iclone users still use Genesis models as they are supported in Iclone for animation.
    however CC3 and the next generation of High quality Iclone figures may give more IClone users reason to use their native figure instead
    We shall see.

• RobotHeadArtRobotHeadArt Posts: 911

Iray seems an odd choice for Iclone since it's not really well suited for animation outside of archviz (no motion blur, no heterogeneous volumes which means no fire/smoke effects, etc.).

As far as what's coming with 4.11, outside the public patch notes the only people that know are DAZ and the PAs who are probably bound by a nondisclosure agreement.  If there is spline based hair that could be why some of the PAs have gone dark.  Another reason we might not have seen a public beta is perhaps DAZ is waiting on Nvidia for a newer Iray SDK or they are using a private beta Iray not yet ready for the general public.

edited June 2018
    j cade said:
    kyoto kid said:

.... Blender was never "just a modelling program" unless you were using it before it was opensourced, which I'm pretty sure you weren't. Character animation, the game engine, and even the VSE, I think, predate version 2.0.

..OK, correction, "primarily" a modelling programme. When I first looked at it it was in the 2.4 era (I remember downloading ver 2.42).  Seemed pretty focused on modelling, rigging, and mapping.  Since then yes, it has grown quite a bit with regards to other features and functions.

All debate aside, still would never want to see Daz go the full featured "Swiss army knife"  route.

• ebergerlyebergerly Posts: 3,255

Yeah, I can't even remember when Blender didn't have stuff like a video editor and compositing and scripting and tons of stuff that people still don't realize it has. It's pretty amazing.

I put Blender and DAZ Studio in the rare categories of software that IMO just can't get much better. Sure, I'd love to see Studio's content management be vastly improved, but otherwise it's pretty amazing. And Blender, IMO, is also one of those rare softwares that is almost beyond criticism. The features are just astounding, and it has become so easy to use, especially if you use the incredible and very easy to use scripting to customize as you like. I mean heck, you press a few buttons in Blender and you suddenly have an amazing smoke and fire simulation that blows away many competitors.

It would be nice, IMO, if Studio had a Blender-style modeller and UV editor, but I really doubt that's in the cards. 

• ragamuffin57ragamuffin57 Posts: 132
    edited June 2018

Hmm Ok  i will bow down to your Knowledge about immediate competitors to Daz  apart from poser 

I  Did not say  Blender was a competitor all i said like the other members comented that software the  likes of blender ,which like Daz , is offered free. are streaking ahead with lots of jucy improvements

Yet as J cade  said 'Blender was never "just a modelling program" unless you were using it before it was opensourced, !!'  

kyoto kid comented  blender  ', it has grown quite a bit with regards to other features and functions.' !!

Reallusion Iclone pro. as wolf359 said  is going to introduce  New  Character creator 3 which could  take a slice out of Daz dominence in the hobby content market 

So thats my point perhaps no direct competitors at the moment as you say, but with all the improvement being made by software that lagged behind in abilities functions are now supassing a tired  Daz studio 

so as I said  perhaps daz needs to open up to be able to have a wider community to drive Daz forward  be cheaper for them  as enthusiasts would end up producing quality ?? plugins at a faster rate then now ??

perhaps we could end up with Arnold  as a render engine ??

Octane is being aggressivly marketed  to capture  a chunk of the hobby market 

so where is Daz road map ?? all very secretive  why ?? why not give snippets keep their buying public interested in developments like other software houses 

Hope that daz does not end up like poser  scared to move forward  in a dynamic way

So are we going to have an improved  dynamic Daz studio  giving us their core customer  base some real jucy tools ?? or  are they going to be half baked  minor upgrades hailed as  the next best  thing ??

Post edited by ragamuffin57 on
  • marblemarble Posts: 7,449
    kyoto kid said:
    j cade said:
    kyoto kid said:

..OK, correction, "primarily" a modelling programme. When I first looked at it it was in the 2.4 era (I remember downloading ver 2.42).  Seemed pretty focused on modelling, rigging, and mapping.  Since then yes, it has grown quite a bit with regards to other features and functions.

All debate aside, still would never want to see Daz go the full featured "Swiss army knife"  route.

I think the original point made by the OP was that Blender is including useful new technology and making significant improvements across the board. The comparison was not meant to be direct, just that they are both free 3D applications that do have some things in common. Nobody is suggesting, I think, that DAZ Studio should compete directly with Blender or any of the expensive commercial packages that some of the more affluent members here prefer (ZBrush, iClone, Cinema3d, etc.).

For myself, I'll be tempted to start porting my content to Blender after seeing what the upcoming 2.8 has to offer. The improvements are impressive and might even silence some of the perennial interface critics who make their point every time Blender is mentioned. At least the Blender interface doesn't suddenly decide to jump to an unrelated view when it feels like it. I don't know if the above mentioned denoiser will approximate the performance of Eevee but I will be impressed if it does (although DAZ Studio will still be locked into NVidia, I suspect). And dForce is a non-starter for me right now - one in 5 or 6 attempts will drape without crashing - just not ready for the average user.

edited June 2018
    marble said:

For myself, I'll be tempted to start porting my content to Blender after seeing what the upcoming 2.8 has to offer.

I'm not yet convinced that's really practical, though I wish it was. For a lot of reasons. I think Studio is designed for the types of scenes and figures we use, and Blender just isn't. Doesn't mean you can't do it, I just think that it might be more pain than it's worth as a standard practice, at least until a really solid export/import app surfaces. I mean, just look at the Outliner in Blender, and trying to decipher the stuff coming in from your Studio scene.   

marble said:

The improvements are impressive and might even silence some of the perennial interface critics who make their point every time Blender is mentioned. 

Don't count on it. 

Post edited by ebergerly on
    edited June 2018
    marble said:
    kyoto kid said:
    j cade said:

I think the original point made by the OP was that Blender is including useful new technology and making significant improvements across the board. The comparison was not meant to be direct, just that they are both free 3D applications that do have some things in common. Nobody is suggesting, I think, that DAZ Studio should compete directly with Blender or any of the expensive commercial packages that some of the more affluent members here prefer (ZBrush, iClone, Cinema3d, etc.).

For myself, I'll be tempted to start porting my content to Blender after seeing what the upcoming 2.8 has to offer. The improvements are impressive and might even silence some of the perennial interface critics who make their point every time Blender is mentioned. At least the Blender interface doesn't suddenly decide to jump to an unrelated view when it feels like it. I don't know if the above mentioned denoiser will approximate the performance of Eevee but I will be impressed if it does (although DAZ Studio will still be locked into NVidia, I suspect). And dForce is a non-starter for me right now - one in 5 or 6 attempts will drape without crashing - just not ready for the average user.

...with regards to Daz being "locked in" to Iray (and don't forget 3DL) one game changer could be Octane4, as it will be offered as both a perpetual licence along with a subscription track the, latter which makes it accessible to those who cannot plop down nearly 600$ for the engine and required plugin at one time. From what I have seen and read, the subscription track looks like a pretty good deal, and with respect to Daz, could give Iray a run for its money.  Octane's best feature is its "out of core" rendering which reduces the need for an expensive monster GPU card. For those with one it means improved render times for those "epic level" scenes. 

As I understand there are to be both a free and paid (20$/mo) subscription, with the paid one granting access to the various plugins available.

ebergerly said:

marble said:

The improvements are impressive and might even silence some of the perennial interface critics who make their point every time Blender is mentioned. 

Don't count on it.

...well whenever it finally offers a more interactive, fully pointer driven UI option (built in), like the one Andrew originally proposed in 2013, I'd give it another chance.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929

Octane is free in Unity no need at all for a $20 a month plugin.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,081

RE: Blender UI

https://www.bforartists.de/

Bforartists stands for Be For Artists. A reminder to develop for the user, not the programmer.

Bforartists is a fork of the popluar open source 3d software Blender. And, similar to Blender, of course also open source and under the GPL v2 or higher, better said in the sum under GPL v3 license. The primary goal of the Bforartists fork is to deliver a better graphical UI and a better usability. This means a complete switch in the useage philosophy. Away from the hotkey and speed centered useage. Towards a user friendly and intuitive graphical UI.

ebergerly said:

kyoto kid said:

...well whenever it finally offers a more interactive, fully pointer driven UI option (built in), like the one Andrew originally proposed in 2013, I'd give it another chance.

By "pointer driven UI" do you mean that you don't need keyboard shortcuts to do stuff? Because I think it's pretty much there right now. I also don't like keyboard shortcuts, and I think just about anything I do in Blender is via mouse. 

• CGHipsterCGHipster Posts: 241

I am new so may get shot for saying, but I hope they improve the animation in Daz.  I use other animation software but really don't like PBR in Iclone although animating is easier.  I like using Octane Render with Daz, I wish they would fix the kinetics for animating more easily.

• marblemarble Posts: 7,449
    kyoto kid said:
    ebergerly said:

marble said:

Don't count on it.

You really should look at some of the Blender Developer YouTube updates to see what is coming. The new UI is much more friendly with viewport icons, pie menus and easy-access menus - all accssible using the mouse. But I get the feeling that some people have decided for all time that Blender is a no-go and will continue to be critical no matter what. 

@ebergerly : I get what you mean about some things just being native to DAZ Studio which is why I don't do much in Blender other than using it as a free alternative to ZBrush (for morphs, etc.). However, the speed of Eevee and the more sophisticated animation and cloth simulation possibilities make it tempting. If Blender devs can achieve these things with free, open source software then a successful commercial concern like DAZ should be able to keep pace.

As for Octane - even $20 per month is beyond my pocket and I'm dreading what will happen if my 1070 dies. I can't imagine going back to 3DL because, no matter what is claimed by the enthusiasts, IRay just looks far better. I tried to get a feel for Unity to see if that was a possibility for using the "free" Octane but my impression was that export to Unity is no less complicated than it is to Blender.

edited June 2018
    Diomede said:

RE: Blender UI

https://www.bforartists.de/

Bforartists stands for Be For Artists. A reminder to develop for the user, not the programmer.

Bforartists is a fork of the popluar open source 3d software Blender. And, similar to Blender, of course also open source and under the GPL v2 or higher, better said in the sum under GPL v3 license. The primary goal of the Bforartists fork is to deliver a better graphical UI and a better usability. This means a complete switch in the useage philosophy. Away from the hotkey and speed centered useage. Towards a user friendly and intuitive graphical UI.

...I'm looking at such being an optional interface native to the programme.  As I have heard Blender For Artists does have some limitations that are not inherent to the Blender programme itself.