Novica & Forum Members Tips & Product Reviews Pt 11

Comments

• Novica said:

@melanieL  It looks like this horse.    It's a French term translating into "Other Than Thoroughbred" and  this does look like a AQPS horse. I personally find the long, gangly neck and oversized head unattractive, but then again, I own a Morgan. They're solid, muscular necks and proportionate head and body have me spoiled. It boils down to what you're used to, and what appeals to you.  I don't even like the Daz Horse, never have- the neck is too chunky, and the same applies to the "other" horse. The heads look like they are merely stuck on the bodies. It does appear the vendor was spot-on if this is an AQPS horse, but they are ugly as sin IMO. The withers are just way different from a Morgan (but I've owned Thoroughbreds, Quarters, Arabians, Paso FInos, etc.) 

Edit- from wikipedia- AQPS, translated as "Other than Thoroughbred", is a general term used in France to refer to horses not listed as Thoroughbreds. Anglo-Arabians, Selle Français, and French Trotters plus all other crossbreds can be qualified as AQPS. 

And of course, I have a roly poly fatboy who hasn't been ridden all summer, since last March actually, so he is about 150 pounds overweight at the moment. But you can see the neck, head, and body are solid and proportional compared to the oversized head and long, long neck of the AQPS.  The horse does offer you a variety, compared to the other two horses on the market. I haven't looked to see what tweaks you can do with it. 

Anyone else with horse pics, feel free to share. Love to see them!  This is my filthy boy (fresh from a dirt bath, a rolling good time) who is on a diet. 

Hello From Stetson

Good looking critter

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,133

Thanks for your iinformation and comments, @Novica - and Stetson looks lovely even when he's grubby!

• OdaaOdaa Posts: 1,548
    Novica said:

Aryn (Gen8F)     dForce Sophisticated Elegance (Gen8F)    Sonia Hair (Gen3/8F)   

I was checking out the necklace on the Sophisticated Elegance outfit. It has nice options to change the metal (I went with Emerald) and a few other changes. The Sonia Hair is another one of those hairstyles which can be used for elegance or casual. I like the somewhat tousled look.  Just ignore the zombie stare, I wasn't posing her per se, just wanted to see the clothing. I also tested sharpening the results in postwork, rather like the crisper details of the skin on this one. Works well with the lighting.

I used the default setting for the Simulation, and after 30 minutes, stopped it. It either wasn't done, or exploded. So I did something wrong, or this dress takes forever. Anyone simulated it yet, and if so, did you change the settings from the Simulation pane?  (Keep in mind I still haven't explored dForce yet, other than just using it out of the box. That's on me, not the vendors.) 

There's a procedure you go through to tell dforce not to "count" certain static surfaces for purposes of collision, because even though they are not in contact with the dforce elements it will still try to calculate for them, and slow the  whole process down. (Select surfaces, find the dforce options under edit, select convert to static surfaces, go to surfaces tab and set those surfaces to "simulation off") If I had a fibermesh hair in the same image as a dforce dress, I would be sure to turn simulation off on that one.

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited November 2018

Simone HD (Gen8F)          Loft Dance Studio       Miranda Hair (Gen3/8F)     dForce Ballet Practice Outfit (Gen8F) 

So let's take a look at Simone. She's different in a great way- not a typical beach babe with perfect measurements. She's hippy, muscular (look at those legs!) and her face isn't cookie-cutter. (You know what I mean, you can tell which vendor did a character, because they look like most of the other characters they've done.)  The promos on this character deserve a second look, Lyoness did a great job giving you a variety. I'm hard pressed to show her in a different light but here goes. I went for ballet and Amazon to start with, going to do a few more too. Amazon coming up!

The portrait is shown without the covering on the Ballet Practice Outfit, it's a leotard and looks fine by itself too.  The Miranda Hair didn't have quite the gravity I would have liked for the leaning backward, but it did move somewhat. I really like the loose curls.

Simone Loft Dance Studio.png
    700 x 800 - 903K
    Simone Portrait.png
    700 x 800 - 887K
    Post edited by Novica on
    edited November 2018

Simone HD (Gen8F)         Amazon Warrior Outfit (Gen8F)          Mayan Ruins

I wanted to try a different camera angle so I played around with a semi top-down view.  Had fun with the depth of field too.  I didn't put hair on Simone as the headdress covers the area nicely. Simone can be a variety of different characters. 

You can see she has a sturdy build.

Simone Mayan Temple 2.png
    480 x 800 - 852K
    Simone Mayan Temple.png
    480 x 800 - 816K
    Post edited by Novica on
    edited November 2018

Simone HD (Gen8F)         H&C Bikini Swimsuit Outfit (Gen8F)       Linda Ponytail  Hail (Gen3/8F) 

The swimsuit has a lot of nice materials.

Simone has multiple eyebrow options, and makeup options. You can do smoky and smudged, crisp eyeliner, more natural. I really like all the lip color options too. There's several shades of red/plum that will go with the smoky look, and more neutral colors to go with the simpler eye makeups. A well thought out palette.

There are also different translucency levels, all of these are on "medium."  Note you can see the patterns on the skin, very realistic. Simone' s face has small moles/marks, which make her realistic without large glaring areas. 

You can see how muscular she is, and hippy. 

Simone Swimsuit.png
    350 x 800 - 268K
    Post edited by Novica on
    edited November 2018

Simone HD (Gen8F)       MRL Amara Braids (Gen3/8F)     Lethal Rogue Outfit (Gen8F)    Rubble 3: Modern Ruins

As with any character, you can take their features and change them, so with Simone I widened her nose and mouth, changed the angle of her jaw a bit, etc. So this isn't Simone out of the box, but will show you what you can do with her. I had fun playing wtih the depth of field on this one too.  The gallery image is here, would appreciate some likes as Simone doesn't have much gallery support and this will get it seen on the product page. Remember to let us know when you're rendering things in that same situation so we can get the vendors' noticed. :) 

Click to Enlarge

Simone Ruins.png
    737 x 1049 - 1M
    Post edited by Novica on

And for those of you who just spent money on that gift card, OF COURSE there's a 20% one now if you bought a Lee Pro Bundle. Hellow Lee 8.  (Spot on, SereneNight!)

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    Novica said:

And for those of you who just spent money on that gift card, OF COURSE there's a 20% one now if you bought a Lee Pro Bundle. Hellow Lee 8.  (Spot on, SereneNight!)

My first thought was, "Really? After I just bought one at 15% off?" But then I realized, to get that discount, you have to have the Pro Bundle in the cart at the same time. As well as any of the other promo-priced items that require the Pro bundle in the cart at the same time. In other words, you're looking at a cart with a bare minimum of $88.12, (if you're a member,) as well as the cost of the gift card. And that's if you don't buy any of the $1.59 and/or $2.59 products.

I've passed on many of the G8 female bundles, but I've purchased every single G8 male. With this current offer, I may just pass, and wait until I can get the Lee pro bundle at a much better price.

• NathNath Posts: 2,713

I don't have a giftcard offer, and I don't like over half the items in the Pro Bundle, so Lee base and a few separate items go into the wishlist.

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,559

I bought Lee 8 pro. The discount is mostly aimed to compensate those of us, who have Lee 6 and 7 as users who don't have those get them for free.

I made a mistake though AGAIN with my gift card. I am ashamed of myself, but when I cut and pasted my email, I added extra ees. Fortunatley, there is no users with that account in gmail, I sent a tester. So I claimed that account. I'm hoping I can get the code resent or credited to that bogus email. Whichever. But I expect no action on that for a few days, given the holidays.

I rather like Lee. The add on characters I don't care for, but the pro bundle is nice. And it is nice that they aren't just doing Bruce Lee hair and content. That was old the first time.

• LyonessLyoness Posts: 1,610

Wow. she looks great. thank you for featuring Simone!

•  

I bought Lee 8 pro. The discount is mostly aimed to compensate those of us, who have Lee 6 and 7 as users who don't have those get them for free.

I would really havr preferred that the 20% discount be applied to the purchase of the Lee 8 Pro bundle so that I could use my existing store credit to get it instead of having to put up a lot more cash. Much as I would like Lee 8 Pro I think I'm going to pass on it until  a better deal comes along.

• Wishing you all a very Happy Thanksgiving!

• firewardenfirewarden Posts: 1,454

I like this generation of Lee, but the offer is very meh. Wish they would offer something like choose a PRO Bundle or two OR choose from nnn OR choose $n amount of DOs. I doubt I'll buy him with this offer. And the 20% GC isn't that great; I'd prefer 20% off the order.

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,559

I would really havr preferred that the 20% discount be applied to the purchase of the Lee 8 Pro bundle so that I could use my existing store credit to get it instead of having to put up a lot more cash. Much as I would like Lee 8 Pro I think I'm going to pass on it until  a better deal comes along.

Agreed. Its hard to make such a large purchase, and I would've preferred, to have the gift card on a second order.

•  

Agreed. Its hard to make such a large purchase, and I would've preferred, to have the gift card on a second order.

Even that would have been better. Then I would be able to use my existing credit and then replace what I used with a 20% off gift card.

• Robert FreiseRobert Freise Posts: 4,260
    edited November 2018

Wishlisted as I already have everything in the Lee6 Pro bundle and I have the Lee7 Pro bundle and would have to spend almost $100.00 to get the two freebies and as for the other two catagories well I have way to much stuff as there wasn't much there

Post edited by Robert Freise on

Wishlisted as I already have everything in the Lee6 Pro bundle and I have the Lee7 Pro bundle and would have to spend almost $100.00 to get the two freebies and as for the other two catagories well I have way to much stuff as there wasn't much there

When they did the $1.59/$2.59 promo during the PA and PC sales, there were pages of content to look through. With Lee there was only a handful in the category to begin with, (unless they changed that later in the day.)  One thing I noticed that I found "curious"… The Barbaric bundles from  Sixius are not in the same offer. The female version is $1.59 and the male version is $2.59… (Okay, looking up the vendor, I found the male version is "HD", but still.)

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

I actually quite liked the pro bundle but I'm tapped out as far as buying goes, and I don't have an extre $90 plus however much I would put on a gift card this close to Christmas.  He goes on the wishlist for now.  Will keep an eye on the bundle for the future though.

Wishing you all a very Happy Thanksgiving!

You too, Charlie! Just popping on for a minute, then back offline. :) 

• OdaaOdaa Posts: 1,548
    edited November 2018

Post edited by Odaa on

I hope everyone in the States had a happy Thanksgiving Day. Hubby and I had dinner at Elmer's, (a very popular chain here in Oregon,) and then went to see the Fantastic Beasts sequel.

(A quick look online found that there are five movies planned, to be released about two years apart. Frankly, it was unnerving for one born in the 1950s to see "Fantastic Beasts 2, 3, 4 and 5 release dates: 2024 countdown" … 2024? It doesn't hardly seem possible.)

Anyway, the computer graphics are wonderful, of course. The wizarding world never gets old. I definitely recommend the movie.

• genarisgenaris Posts: 313

I'm right there with you, @L'Adair  :)   I had the same mind-boggle when James Cameron laid out the timetables for the Avatar sequels, and when my last drivers license was issued and set for renewal in... 2020.   I can remember watching the first season (Black & white) episodes of "Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea" tv show in 1964 and some random episodes would have captions at the beginning like "1977" or "Indian Ocean, 1984," or similar, and that was some incredible, science-fiction thing-- the future!!  --that couldn't even be grasped (just like Krell technology) by my poor ape's brain at the time. So unimaginably far away.   Of course the 70s, 80s and even 1990s are ancient history now that bore little resemblance to the 1997 Irwin Allen showed us in the 60s "Lost in Space" show or the 70s and 80s predicted in VTTBOTS.   laugh
       ~Gen

Happy Thanksgiving & turkey, everyone! :)

Wanted to show you guys some of the tattoo options for Yuri for Mei Lin 8. She becomes quite exotic with the tattoo options.

• genarisgenaris Posts: 313

@IceDragonArt  - nice image!!  I think the gunmental grey chains and the style of the tattoos make an interesting counterpoint to the traditional hairdo and headpiece.   The smudgy, ink wash sort of background in the tattoos makes them very distinct from the brighter, stronger styles of tattoos in the store, cool.
       ~Gen

genaris said:

@IceDragonArt  - nice image!!  I think the gunmental grey chains and the style of the tattoos make an interesting counterpoint to the traditional hairdo and headpiece.   The smudgy, ink wash sort of background in the tattoos makes them very distinct from the brighter, stronger styles of tattoos in the store, cool.
       ~Gen

Thank you very much!

@icedragonart   Gal, you must be on a different sleep schedule!  Still up at 4am?  

Nice composition in the render, too. The chains (gunmetal gray or whatever) are a very nice touch!

I dumped my Lee 8 cart and didn't buy anything. That price was a deal breaker, having to buy so many other things to get the deals- nope. And as someone said in the Lee thread, then Daz will say "See, males don't sell."   Well, when...

1. people just spent money on a 15% off gift card
    2. you require almost a $100 cart to get the good deals
    3. you're repeating the same freebies 
    4. it's the day of and before Black Friday (many deals started Thursday)
    5. it's not near a pay day

then don't blame the buyers for wishlisting. 

• firewardenfirewarden Posts: 1,454

I find it strange that DAZ's pricing/deals on males are often significantly higher priced than what they offer on females.

Novica said:

@icedragonart   Gal, you must be on a different sleep schedule!  Still up at 4am?  

Nice composition in the render, too. The chains (gunmetal gray or whatever) are a very nice touch!

I dumped my Lee 8 cart and didn't buy anything. That price was a deal breaker, having to buy so many other things to get the deals- nope. And as someone said in the Lee thread, then Daz will say "See, males don't sell."   Well, when...

1. people just spent money on a 15% off gift card
    2. you require almost a $100 cart to get the good deals
    3. you're repeating the same freebies 
    4. it's the day of and before Black Friday (many deals started Thursday)
    5. it's not near a pay day

then don't blame the buyers for wishlisting. 

I up super early to start Thanksging turkey yesterday (everyone comes to my house for Thanksgiving- my sister does Christmas lol) so I crashed really early Thursday night.  Woke up at 2 am with a headache so I got up for a couple of hours, then went back to bed lol.

The chains are from Llynara and DivaMakeup's set of lights,poses, and props.  Some very useful things in that set.

I too passed on Lee8.  The only reason I bit for Mei Lin was because I was already planning on getting a gift card.  Otherwise, I would have passed on her for now as well.  And I don't even have enough items showing to get hte free items, and I have bought as much of the back catalog as I am likely to get at any point.  I might have picked him up if it was 20% off or their was more of a variety of deals, but I can't justify $100 right before Christmas.  And, I have both 6 and 7 (I don't have the pro bundle for 6 but I do have the character) and there are plenty of morphs to create my own asian character, especially with SimTenero's randomizer.  So, for that price, even though I really want to support more males and male items, I am totally passing.

This discussion has been closed.