21  Charlie Judge
    22  L'Adair
    23 IceDragonArt
    24 Mollytabby
    27 jakiblue
    29  RGcincy

Post edited by Novica on
  • NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859

@icedragonart   Thanks for being such a good sport- I will laugh SO hard if you win with the new number! (And you can thank MelanieL!) 

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

Lol no problem, its all in good fun.  And if she wins at least I will know I was right the first time!

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,168

Oh dear! Sorry I nabbed your number, @IceDragonArt - now I'm hoping it was the wrong answer indecision

MelanieL said:

Oh dear! Sorry I nabbed your number, @IceDragonArt - now I'm hoping it was the wrong answer indecision

No, don't feel bad!  Like I said, all in good fun and I'm eager to see what she really looks like!

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,168
    MelanieL said:

No, don't feel bad!  Like I said, all in good fun and I'm eager to see what she really looks like!

Me too - I wonder if it will be a surprise to us all?

• EtaminEtamin Posts: 126

I think you must be 15, because you wanted to make sure your mum was front and centre (16)

• WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,742

Well, my first choice was 24 but that was already taken, then my next few choices were taken so I'm going with 15. The main reason is my other choices were taken! 

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,214
    @Wonderland, oops you cross posted with Etamin. You'll have to make another pick. Remember, you can still win on rationale even if you don't pick the right number, so just pick a different one.
  • firewardenfirewarden Posts: 1,456

#7 because of the beautiful, contagious smile.

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,743
    edited August 2018
    Novica said:

SC Gillian (Gen8F)      Classic Updo Hairstyle (Genesis 3, used on Genesis 8)     dForce Maid Outfit (Gen8F) 

This is the Classic Updo Hairstyle for Genesis 3 put on Genesis 8. I didn't tweak it after it applied. This hairstyle is best IMO for professional no-nonsense looks (aka can't have a hair out of place) or for formal events. It seems very hairsprayed / stiff to me, totally controlled. Getting the maid hairpiece situated was easy, I simply unparented then translated (afer I had posed her.)  

The stiff look seems to be an effect of the method used to create the mesh, the idea of creating single hair strands is good there just aren't enough of them which makes the hair look pretty coarse. The textures aren't the best either IMO, here it is with shaders from Slosh' new ColorWerks which I like better.  

cw_blonde_048.jpg
    800 x 1000 - 112K
    Post edited by Taoz on
    edited August 2018

@wonderland  LOL, you just keep getting choices taken away, don't you? I had to giggle when you said you were picking that number because everyone had beat you to the other ones- and Etamin had just beat you to THAT one! (and note- by only THREE MINUTES sooner)

Post edited by Novica on
    edited August 2018

The numbers already chosen are: (With Wonderland still floating in limbo)
    1  ChangelingChick
    2   MelanieL
    7   firewarden
    8   Novica
    9   zombietaggerung
    12  Serene Night
    14 Astracadia
    15  Etamin
    19  nonesuch00
    21  Charlie Judge
    22  L'Adair
    23 IceDragonArt
    24 Mollytabby
    27 jakiblue
    29  RGcincy
    32  chris-2599934

Post edited by Novica on

@taoz   MUCH better, agreed! 

• BlueIreneBlueIrene Posts: 1,318

I'm picking number 14 because I've always imagined Barb to be tall with a 'no nonsense' kind of presence (more like number 22), and since people on the internet seldom turn out to look how you think they will I'm choosing the shortest person in the photo :)

Novica said:

@wonderland  LOL, you just keep getting choices taken away, don't you? I had to giggle when you said you were picking that number because everyone had beat you to the other ones- and Etamin had just beat you to THAT one! (and note- by only THREE MINUTES sooner)

I knew I was taking too long LOL. I guess I'll pick 15 now because I think that's the last woman left in the right age range! (If I have the age range correct, which I'm not sure of and I'm assuming she's a woman!) 

edited August 2018

How is Colorwerks working for people? So far I can't get it to look good at ALL on older hair, I mean it looks way worse than the original, but I could be applying it wrong or something. Here it is on Lana Hair ( with subD and smoothing added) and I like the way it looks except the part--don't know what happened there...  I've been applying a base color, the transmap, then an over color (I think that's what it was called) and when I apply the map, the highlighted hair turns white then when I add the over color, it seems way too light -- the browns look blonde. I may be doing something completely wrong applying it....  But I like the way the strands look here, except there's a big problem with the part...

BTW that's Mousso's Harper with my morphs to her mouth and lips... I love her! 

Post edited by Wonderland on
  • chris-2599934chris-2599934 Posts: 1,781

I find my eye drawn to number 32, because I like her purple top. No idea if it's Barbult or not, but that's my pick.

How is Colorwerks working for people? So far I can't get it to look good at ALL on older hair, I mean it looks way worse than the original, but I could be applying it wrong or something. Here it is on Lana Hair ( with subD and smoothing added) and I like the way it looks except the part--don't know what happened there...  I've been applying a base color, the transmap, then an over color (I think that's what it was called) and when I apply the map, the highlighted hair turns white then when I add the over color, it seems way too light -- the browns look blonde. I may be doing something completely wrong applying it....  But I like the way the strands look here, except there's a big problem with the part...

Have you tried using two of the same hair?  That may give you a better density on the older hairs and may look better.  I haven't had time to really dig into those hair shaders yet so I can't really help with that question.

Novica said:

I knew I was taking too long LOL. I guess I'll pick 15 now because I think that's the last woman left in the right age range! (If I have the age range correct, which I'm not sure of and I'm assuming she's a woman!) 

That is the same number you picked before that belongs to Etamin.
  • nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,944

I have noticed a hair strand density problem when people that have bought ColorWerks post using older (or sometimes just poorly done newer) hair. I would have thought the ColorWorks comes with replacement hair textures & texture maps. I have OOT Hair Shader Materials from the Big R and it does good at making old hair presentable with iRay on high resolution renders, not 100% because a lot of times the actual polystrips used to make the hair aren't dense enough either but it's the best I've seen.

I'm wondering if I can combine OOT's Big R product with ColorWerks. Anyone have both & tried?

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    edited August 2018

I have Lana Hair for G3/G8 Females, but I don't have ColorWerks. (Yet.)

First, looking at the texture maps for Lana Hair, it looks to me like the scalp textures have been replaced. I'm firing up the beast now to look at the surfaces to see if the scalp has a separate material zone, as the scalp and strands are together on the texture maps. Here's an example, (the red border is so the white doesn't get lost in the background.)

Example of scalp and strands on the same texture.

Second, the transparency of the strands appears to be too "soft", causing more of the scalp to be visible. Check the Cutout Opacity for the strands and make sure the value is set to 1.0…

ETA: The scalp does have a separate material zone, "Cap" and uses only the Base Color, (diffuse,) map and the Cutout Opacity, (trans,) map. I think it would be best if you can select all but the cap material zones in the Surfaces->Editor, and then apply the ColorWerks options. But you could try removing all the maps in the "Cap" zone and putting back in one of the original textures, matching the color as closely as possible.

Here's a trick to help get back to texture folder: Hover over the Cutout Opacity map and note the filename. Click on the now empty image map button for Base Color and select the Cutout Opacity map. Now click on the image map button and select Browse. It will now open to the correct texture folder, so you don't have to go looking for it.

scalp and strands hair example.jpg
    304 x 304 - 53K
    Post edited by L'Adair on
    edited August 2018

@wonderland   Your Harper is indeed quite lovely! 

Scott-Livingston shared a trick using geometry shells to thicken hair, but I don't recall it and it's not in my list of references. This was, however. Go to number two. I believe that's what L'adair is talking about. In my references (first page)  I do have a link to Slosh's explanation on the shaders (the first ones, the UHT). 

Post edited by Novica on
  • L'Adair said:

I have Lana Hair for G3/G8 Females, but I don't have ColorWerks. (Yet.)

First, looking at the texture maps for Lana Hair, it looks to me like the scalp textures have been replaced. I'm firing up the beast now to look at the surfaces to see if the scalp has a separate material zone, as the scalp and strands are together on the texture maps. Here's an example, (the red border is so the white doesn't get lost in the background.)

Example of scalp and strands on the same texture.

Second, the transparency of the strands appears to be too "soft", causing more of the scalp to be visible. Check the Cutout Opacity for the strands and make sure the value is set to 1.0…

ETA: The scalp does have a separate material zone, "Cap" and uses only the Base Color, (diffuse,) map and the Cutout Opacity, (trans,) map. I think it would be best if you can select all but the cap material zones in the Surfaces->Editor, and then apply the ColorWerks options. But you could try removing all the maps in the "Cap" zone and putting back in one of the original textures, matching the color as closely as possible.

Here's a trick to help get back to texture folder: Hover over the Cutout Opacity map and note the filename. Click on the now empty image map button for Base Color and select the Cutout Opacity map. Now click on the image map button and select Browse. It will now open to the correct texture folder, so you don't have to go looking for it.

Also be sure to use the scalp preset on the scalp material zone. That should help. But older hairs definitely had a different modeling style than Iray really requires. Volume used to be faked, but you can't really do that with Iray. 

• EtaminEtamin Posts: 126
    Novica said:

Sorry @Wonderland :(

There are still a few more hours to enter the contest.

I updated the list. Check it first. :) 

And remember you can win a prize for a good rationale, even if the number is wrong.

• jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281

i'm simply dying to find out who Barbult really is laugh

edited August 2018
    jakiblue said:

i'm simply dying to find out who Barbult really is laugh

Only a few hours to wait, if I can stay awake to post at 11:59 PM Daz time. wink

I've just purchased the gift cards, so I have the codes ready to send to the winners.

Post edited by barbult on
This discussion has been closed.