Novica & Forum Members Tips & Product Reviews Pt 11

Comments

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859

I made my first freebie blush. Just a little pendant for mother's day.

It is to be used with Jewelry Basics for Genesis 3 Female(s) (the necklace) and doesn't have any shaders.

I'm not where I can test it, but OMG it looks so pretty! 

• RainRain Posts: 335

It is to be used with Jewelry Basics for Genesis 3 Female(s) (the necklace) and doesn't have any shaders.

Of course I am proud of it and of course it is not perfect crying.

Can someone test it to see if, at least, it works right. THANK YOU.

I tried it and it works great.  Very Pretty!

• sueyasueya Posts: 826

Just thought I'd share another image of Lara. I have used two versions to show her versatility. The girl on the left is the closest I could get to an image of myself with the products I have and the girl on the right uses hair from the other place beginning with R which I got for free in their recent grab bag sale.

• Thank you @Novica.

Thank you very much for testing it @spuffy ! Glad you like it and that it works fine.

• MollytabbyMollytabby Posts: 1,159
    edited May 2018

Here is a render with it :

I don't have the Jewlry Basics product but the pendant works beautifully with @Allenart's free jewellery shaders. This is a very quick render - sorry about the quality!

18 05 21 Mom Pendant.jpg
    600 x 480 - 134K
    Post edited by Mollytabby on
  • ArtsyDragonArtsyDragon Posts: 530

@Novica, dumb question time .. how can you tell in DIM if something has an update. I don't use DIM to install and wondered if that was a criteria. I use DAZ Studio itself unless the product is really old and is not compatible with DAZ Studio install. 

• shadowhawk1shadowhawk1 Posts: 2,186

WOW, I step away for a bit and you go wild. :) Work and RL have conspired to kick me square in the gut for a while and I am starting to finally pick myself up. Haven't done to much in the way of 3D art for a while and tried to work on other things to get out from under the storm clouds. I am a serious Star Wars fan and I am working on a set of Cosplay armor and hoping to submit it to the 501st for approval soon. Here is picture of the armor parts of my costume, still waiting on the flightsuit and assorted smaller pieces to finish this up. Trying to catch up on the backlog of posts. Sorry to hear your friend lost her horse and hope that she finds a new furry friend to start new memories with soon. 

That's awesome!!!

Thanks, in a way its helped me keep my creativity moving along as I try to customize the parts as much as possible to make it easier to wear and a bit more unique. 

WOW, I step away for a bit and you go wild. :) Work and RL have conspired to kick me square in the gut for a while and I am starting to finally pick myself up. Haven't done to much in the way of 3D art for a while and tried to work on other things to get out from under the storm clouds. I am a serious Star Wars fan and I am working on a set of Cosplay armor and hoping to submit it to the 501st for approval soon. Here is picture of the armor parts of my costume, still waiting on the flightsuit and assorted smaller pieces to finish this up. Trying to catch up on the backlog of posts. Sorry to hear your friend lost her horse and hope that she finds a new furry friend to start new memories with soon. 

That armor looks really good

Thanks, its all vaccum formed ABS plastic so it is very light weight and easy to wear. Need to instal some fans in the helmet for airflow and it does help hide the ugly mug on top of my neck. laugh

• xmasrose (aka tulipe)xmasrose (aka tulipe) Posts: 1,403
    edited May 2018

Thank you @Mollytabby

You're right @Allenart shaders look very good.

Here is a render with it :

I don't have the Jewlry Basics product but the pendant works beautifully with @Allenart's free jewellery shaders. This is a very quick render - sorry about the quality!

Post edited by xmasrose (aka tulipe) on

Good morning!   @illysart   In DIM, there are three tabs- the first one is Ready To Download. When there are updates, that gets split into an upper and lower section, and the upper section is the updates. I can't tell you exactly how it's worded as I don't have any updates showing at the moment, but it will tell you it's the updates.

• ArtsyDragonArtsyDragon Posts: 530
    edited May 2018

Thanks, @Novica. I'll take a look again.

Post edited by ArtsyDragon on
  • SummerhorseSummerhorse Posts: 684
    edited May 2018
    L'Adair said:

The 80% off on the discounts is not working.  I need the horse pro bundle in order to use the textues from DG that I bought last year.  I have everything in it except two items, and there is no way to upgrade (which is ridiculous to be honest).  I was briefly considering sucking it up and paying slightly over $10 apiece to go ahead and get it but you know what? I'm not going to.  If your discount isn't going to work, I'm not going to bother.  I'll keep using Harry the Hivewire horse (the last set of textures I bought for him were$4.95 for multiple coats). 

Yes. After all these years, it's a bad marketing move not to make those textures a separate product. So many people have bought bits and pieces of the pro bundle to the extent buying the pro bundle isn't feasible, even at 80% off. And many of those people, like you, would jump at the chance to get just the textures.

On the flip side, I thing Harry is a much better looking model. The mane alone makes it a better buy. I've never seen a horse with a bald spot between the mane and the forelock like the Daz Horse has.

The gap in the daz horse mane is called a bridle path, it used to be very popular to trim the mane there especially to 'show off' the neck. it looks pretty silly on a \wild stallion' though!

I agree that the hive horse is beautiful, and he has plenty of morphs if you want to thicken him up or get a look simular to the Daz horse. And the texture artist that did the origional Daz coats does Harry- she also has some great mane packs if you need some photoshopped flying mane goodness and are in a hurry.

I do still like my Daz horse, but I've always felt there was something wrong in the eye placement and size, with harry you can really get a gorgeous close up head shot. Harry also has some nice race horse and well done western and english tack.

And Harry has a fun texture set with leopard and tiger stripes!

Aaalepard-pony-1this-one.jpg
    1343 x 1080 - 339K
    Post edited by Summerhorse on
  • Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560

Well someone posted an image of Floyd in the pc forum. Looks like a middle aged/senior male figure is about to be released. 

• firewardenfirewarden Posts: 1,454

Well someone posted an image of Floyd in the pc forum. Looks like a middle aged/senior male figure is about to be released. 

More unique males is good! Older is fantastic! They're pretty much must-buys for me. Ladies with character are also fantastic.

I get burned out on all the Barbie clones. It doesn't help that I'm faceblind and unless they're signficantly different, they just blur together for me. I look at some comparing feature to feature just wondering what it is about them that is supposed to be different.  And I'm probably not the only one.

edited May 2018

I will probably buy him but it’s been a while since we have seen a hunk and they just released Ollie who fills a similar older male niche. I don’t mind the release but I would use another male hunk on the younger side more as that’s what I tend to use more.

Post edited by Serene Night on
    edited May 2018

Post Your Favorite Freebies Week

So something we haven't done before, and I think it would be nice to give recognition to- which is the artists who so generously donate freebies. Now's your chance to give a shoutout to yourself and to your favorite freebie artists.   What are your favorite freebies? When was the last time you went looking for good ones? It's also "Hunt for Freebies" this week on this thread. (In addition to still posting purchased products.) 

Please list the name of the freebie in the title, with (FREEBIE) so we'll know right away that it is a freebie.

The freebie forum here at Daz takes some wading through, so if you know of some that you can find and link, that would be appreciated too. If it's another site (not commercial, that violates TOS) you can link to it. 

Wilmap comes to mind when I think of freebies, even though I hadn't gotten any in years. I'm so far behind in showcasing what I've bought, I just don't get around to much else. So in the spirit of exploring freebies,  I popped in Wendy's website and decided to render an outfit for you.  Kudos to @wilmap  and the generous donation of time and talent.

Which brings me to donations. If you can donate, please do. With Wendy, I donated $10, which was 13.95 for United Kingdom, and ended up being $14.02. (Don't forget that two cents!)  I can download as many outfits and furniture that I want and it's not required to donate, but I think that's really reasonable for the quality and quantity of items I can download. There's a lot of items available.

The freebie artists don't ask for it/make a big deal out of it, but I just think it would be a nice gesture to compensate them if they have a donate button available. 

So let's look at this freebie outfit. The Genesis 8 Female Skirt and Jacket.  It looks downright comfortable. The folds/morphs flow nicely and the fit is awesome. I didn't particularly care for the striped/printed lineup of the stripes, due to the lapel. (Which isn't Wendy's fault, that material positioning isn't expected to match up with the chest stripes/print.)  So I stuck with her solid textures.

Here's a fun find from the Daz Store. That cute key necklace is from Cayley Clothing and Accessories (Gen8F)  and I like the simplicity in contrast with the heavier bracelet, earrings, and elegant rings. Check out Jeweled Excellence Bracelets 1 (Gen 2, 3, 8F)    the Earrings 2    and  Rings 2    I had a hard time getting the bracelet to look gold, even though it was, due to the lighting. So I used Surface pane and a yellowish green to get it to go gold. (Go more yellow-green than yellow-red when the popup comes up to choose your colors.) 

TIP: Just a reminder- when you are changing shaders on jewelry, remember to eyeball what you're changing. Usually the gems and metal are two different things, and if you're just clicking in the viewport (without being closeup) and selecting a surface, you may grab the gem by mistake.

The character is still Marnie HD (Gen8F) wearing Messy Bun Hair (Gen3/8)  I did my thing with her lips again, added metallicity and used a light lip color then darkened it with my own color. I find so many of the lip colors are bright pink (not very business-like or sophisticated natural colors) or they're too dark. I'd like to see more neutral mauves, with glossy colors something other than white, pale white, or blue-gray. Yellows and orange hues work wonderfully for glossy colors.

MarnieWilmapJacketSkirt.png
    715 x 1100 - 787K
    Post edited by Novica on
  • OdaaOdaa Posts: 1,548
    edited May 2018

It's easier for me to justify buying "character" types in G8, because I'm just going to transfer them back to G3, where I'm doing reasonably well for conventionally handsome men* but can always use something to quirk them up a bit. That being said, if I were actively collecting G8 content on its own merits rather than as supplements to G3 content, I would be bummed by the apparent lack of Polynesian and East Asian base characters, and the lack of any male younger than Edward and more macho than Lucas, Owen, and the rather mild-mannered Michael 8.

*Yeah, okay, if I wanted a truely complete collection of human-ish G3Ms, I would need to snag 1-2 Raiya characters, 3-ish DarwinsMishap characters, 2-3 FW characters (not all of them, but there are a couple that fill niches I don't have), one Vyusur character and some morph packs from Antfarm, SickleYield and maybe Thorne/Handspan.

Post edited by Odaa on

Bet Daz was joyous about that.  I don't know the poster. 

One thing about Floyd from that image, the head looks much more aged than the chest/torso. I don't like it. The chest is relatively smooth, it's not just the face being weathered. The chest lacks the sagginess of the face, the aging. We'll have to see. People are guessing Wednesday for the release. I've learned not to buy on the first day, as subsequent days have discounts when "buying a new release" so I just wait and use the Pro Bundle or character as that.

edited May 2018
    Odaa said:

*Yeah, okay, if I wanted a truely complete collection of human-ish G3Ms, I would need to snag 1-2 Raiya characters, 3-ish DarwinsMishap characters, 2-3 FW characters (not all of them, but there are a couple that fill niches I don't have), one Vyusur character and some morph packs from Antfarm, SickleYield and maybe Thorne/Handspan.

One character I found I really liked was Ivan. He isn't handsome, and is rugged but has sag in face and real-life aging. (I guess I'm thinking about that due to the Floyd observation I just made.)  I am looking up a render I did of him back in June 2016- I changed up his shoulders IIRC. Taking a peek at him now, I did save the scene file. I've got to run some errands (worked on Wilmap render 7am-10am) but may do Ivan later today.

Post edited by Novica on

I mostly buy pro bundles for the hairs and clothing which is sorely lacking for men. I can only see glimpses of clothing in that screenshot, as the main outfit is an already released H&C outfit. Yeah, the smooth body with a senior face is a bit... .Problematic, but sadly not uncommon for older male releases.

• zombietaggerungzombietaggerung Posts: 3,648

Floyd is deinfinitely different, but I can't say I have much use for a charater like him. I'll wait and see what's in his bundle before I decide one way or another. I really like Edward but I only got his base figure. So maybe the clothes in Floyd's bundle will be useful for me. And the HDD in my current lappy is dying so I'll be upgrading rather sooner than expected, and that's going to be a big chunk of cash; so the deal on Floyd will have to be really freaking sweet for me to spend on him.

I just really hope the next male is some buff studmuffin. Like Leo or Gianni. sigh.

edited May 2018

Oh yeah, Gianni. Drool factor.

But meanwhile, here's Ivan 7.

IvanMine.png
    643 x 900 - 889K
    Post edited by Novica on
  • Carola OCarola O Posts: 3,823

Perhaps we should start a "We want Gianni 8" club or such, and harass Daz until they give him to us? ;P

sueya said:

Just thought I'd share another image of Lara. I have used two versions to show her versatility. The girl on the left is the closest I could get to an image of myself with the products I have and the girl on the right uses hair from the other place beginning with R which I got for free in their recent grab bag sale.

@sueya    Somehow I missed this one- Lara looks good. That background is funky fun!

• SaphirewildSaphirewild Posts: 6,648

Not sure how to post here.

Do I post renders I have made or do I post ones that have already been made?

@saphirewild   Whatever you'd like to post   smiley

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929
    edited May 2018
    Novica said:

Bet Daz was joyous about that.  I don't know the poster. 

One thing about Floyd from that image, the head looks much more aged than the chest/torso. I don't like it. The chest is relatively smooth, it's not just the face being weathered. The chest lacks the sagginess of the face, the aging. We'll have to see. People are guessing Wednesday for the release. I've learned not to buy on the first day, as subsequent days have discounts when "buying a new release" so I just wait and use the Pro Bundle or character as that.

Body sagginess would be, if it's a typical person born after 1950, would be mostly due to muscle atrophy and not sun damage like earlier generations. And for the most part folk born after 1950 were not out in the field to build the kind of muscles that atrophy so much later in life so I find it believable. They must be using real models I think to create Floyd.

When I used to drive a deuce and a half for the military me left arm would absolutely fry. That's a lot of damage to do that every day or to farm like used to be so common. I just did it for that 2 week reserve duty in June. Nowadays though I'm like an Amish person wearning long sleeves and pants even in hot weather mowing the lawn.

i find Floyd, Edward, and Alexandra Pro Bundles interstiing but my budget is limited enough that I was waiting for Girl 8 & Guy 8 but when Edie 8 came out she was too good so I bough her pro bundle instead. I will probably buy Guy 8 & Girl 8 piecemeal now unless they are more exceptional that what came bundles with Edie 8 Pro Bundle. 

I will buy one of Floyd or Edward and Alexandra or whoever pro bundles is they go on deep discount sometime in the next year.

Post edited by nonesuch00 on
  • SaphirewildSaphirewild Posts: 6,648
    edited May 2018

Ok for my first favorite freebie artist will be:

Summoner His (FREEBIE) I would like to showcase is his Altar Of Blood for IRay

Altar of Blood [Exclusive]

Gigi Test.png
    1391 x 1391 - 3M
    Post edited by Saphirewild on
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,155
    edited May 2018

Does anybody have the new Vernea Fae outfit yet? It looks almost too good to be true. 

I bought it. It has a lot of options. It simulates well. I wasn't very pleased with the look of the drape of the loose blouse in the one scene I tried it in (looked kind of lumpy), but other than that, I have no complaints. [Edit: a few issues have come up. See additional posts below.] It has morphs that you can use after simulation to add poof back into the skirt, bustle, and ruffles. I haven't found any movement morphs for the chain on the neckband, so it sits tight to her throat, even if she bends forward. Here are a few renders.

Monique 8 Vernea Fae dForce.jpg
    1538 x 2000 - 1M
    G8F on crate dForce Vernea Fae Loose Blouse.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 2M
    G8F on crate dForce Vernea Fae.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 2M
    Post edited by barbult on
  • MollytabbyMollytabby Posts: 1,159

Ok for my first favorite freebie artist will be:

Summoner His (FREEBIE) I would like to showcase is his Altar Of Blood for IRay

Altar of Blood [Exclusive]

That’s amazing! 

• Carola OCarola O Posts: 3,823

@Barbult How does the Vernea outfit works when Not simulating it? Is it possible to use it as non dForce clothing when it comes to movement and such? I do like it, but not sure I am willing to spend money on something I won't be able to use much, if at all, depending on how the computer reacts (it is old, and not the best. And it tend to crash to desktop 9 times out of 10 when trying to dforce)

This discussion has been closed.