April 2018 - Daz 3D New User Challenge - Open Render Challenge

Comments

• ArtsyDragonArtsyDragon Posts: 530

Here is my second.. the graphic novel is sci-fi and what is sci-fi without a hacker and a robot dog? Here is Bren and Mr Bytes. Sometimes when doing your job, security alarms are activated.

TEST_Brenn01.png
    974 x 638 - 933K
  • Luftsturmregiment40Luftsturmregiment40 Posts: 328
    edited April 2018

practical lighting the Stanley Kubrick method

Software used

rendering: DAZ Studio 4.10 - IRay (interactive)

modeling: Hexagon

Post FX

colorgrading: ON1 Photo (this has not impacted the lighting technique but merely a slight colorshift to a warmer palette)

DAZ Studio Scene File available upon request

credits: furnishings from The Foundry UK

image format original PNG - for challenge in jpg

New_User_Challenge_room_final_render_iray_interactive.png
    2000 x 900 - 5M
    New_User_Challenge_room_final_render_iray_interactive.jpg
    2000 x 900 - 2M
    Post edited by Luftsturmregiment40 on
  • Luftsturmregiment40Luftsturmregiment40 Posts: 328
    edited April 2018

would be great if someone could kindly render this for me all five shotcams at Epic RED 5120x2160 with IRay Photoreal mode

Post edited by Luftsturmregiment40 on
  • Noswen said:

@daybird: It was the word mimic that confused me, never heard it in this context before. And thank you, I spent a lot of time on the expression, even delving into the Shaping tab for it. Wasn't going for snob, but everything else you said is pretty close to what I was aiming for smiley

@Shinji: Nice looking render, though where the hair overlaps with the window it looks oddly see-through.

@Noswen: I see what you mean about the hair, but havent a clue as what that is about. Don't know if there will be time to do anything about it though.

• WandererWanderer Posts: 957
    edited April 2018

First of all, you guys have been hard at work and I think a lot of improvements have been made:

@illysArt - As usual, you have a flair for character-centric images. I think I like the second best of the two. 

@Shinji - I'm not sure if I like the changes. I do like this image, but for different reasons than the earlier version. In the first, the character seemed in a thoughtful state, but here he is clearly interacting with the other character. Complete change of mood. I do agree about the hair, but not sure why that is happening or I'd try to suggest a fix for it. Maybe try looking in the sliders and settings on the surfaces tab for the hair. If you're rendering in Iray, make sure the surface texture of the hair is converted to Iray with the Uber thingy (I usually convert by double-clicking Uber shader and holding down left control--or if you don't care about previous textures you can just double-click Uber--but for hair you usually want something besides just the white uber shader). If you aren't using Iray, I'm not sure what to try. You may already know all this, but I'm just trying to make helpful suggestions because not everyone does. 

@daybird - I think I missed the clipping gauntlet or assumed that it was just hidden in behind the muscle of her upper arm because of the extreme pose. You're probably hard at work doing another render right now, so little to say at this point that is helpful. I do like what you did with the highlights on her skin and hair. I like the way you fleshed out the scene with details.

@seegsons - Nice looking scene. Have some decent photorealism going on there. Usually we don't post the PNG's--not sure if we're allowed to actually. Not sure what you're requesting in your last post, but you've made a nice submission. I really don't know what to say in terms of suggestions.

Post edited by Wanderer on
  • ArtsyDragonArtsyDragon Posts: 530

@Wanderer, Thank you for the encouragement. I did another one of Bren and Mr. Bytes but since I'd already posted two here, I posted that one on DA and in my Art Studio thread if you are interested: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/245076/illy-s-inglenook#latest

• sueyasueya Posts: 826

Republishing the final version of my image - Two dancers

• HighElfHighElf Posts: 326
    edited April 2018

The Final Version of

Style over safety

Software used:

DAZ Studio: Composing; lighting; basic picture and render

GIMP: Correction of minor mistakes like fireflys; recolouring of the Mecha texture.

Apr2018_10.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 990K
    Post edited by HighElf on
  • sueya said:

Republishing the final version of my image - Two dancers

your very first submission looks way better than this

only thing to improve on would be to add global illumination and rule of thirds (if you make a shot of a person, the top of the head almost touches the save-area in a close-up and in your case it wouldn't be different - long subject but try it out you will see)

good shot nontheless

• daybirddaybird Posts: 648
    edited April 2018

Ok, now I'm done for this month. Last entry.

Amazone 10.jpg
    1600 x 900 - 2M
    Post edited by daybird on
  • NoswenNoswen Posts: 358
    edited April 2018

Final version for me, just got there before the end of the month.

Coat sorted out as well as some poke-through on the victum's clothes.

Filbert Duel WIP 4.jpg
    800 x 800 - 113K
    Post edited by Noswen on
    edited April 2018

@sueya - I'm not certain at all that your first image was far better. I don't usually put my hands on another's work, but in this case I'll make an exception to make a very specific point. In the end, however, art is a very subjective experience. Some things could use improvement, but I like your last image far better than your first, and let me show you why:

Some will disagree with my use of these guides. Fine. I'm fine with that. Does not invalidate me or my opinion.

First, I'm sharing the original image with composition rules applied using the cropping tool in Photoshop:

Rule of Thirds:

GoldenSpirals:

Golden Ratio:

Diagonals:

There is a relatively pleasing composition to this image. His head falls on the upper left rule of thirds composition cross point. This image places the focus most squarely upon him. Their bodies do reflect or touch certain points of importance with respect to various guides. But now let's have a look at the other image:

Rule of Thirds:

Notice how the emphasis of the composition now is balanced more upon her and inclusive of them both. Note how the thirds guides come very close to physical boundaries and lines on the image.

Golden Spirals:

Note how the spirals frame them and the environment fairly nicely in all iterations of the spiral.

Triangle:

Note how nicely the pair of them form the base of the bottom triangle. Note how the heavy line of the wall in the background forms an arrow with the point below it just to the right of his knee.

Golden Ratio: 

Note how nicely the two of them fall upon the guides of the golden ratio.

Diagonals:

In the narrower width original version, the diagonals placed the emphasis upon him. But here, the emphasis is shared. 

Again, some will not like what I have done here. I'm only trying to show that Sueya did make improvements in composition choices between the first and last. If one makes a statement about this image being better than that image, one should try to explain how so. It's not helpful to show up on the last day of a challenge and dismiss all the work someone has put into their image over a month. One should try to be cautious in their choice of criticisms, so as not to crush the aspirations of someone who is making progress. If the lighting could be improved, fine--say so. If this or that could be improved, fine--say so. Please don't dismiss the work of another flippantly.

SueyaComp1.jpg
    1735 x 1024 - 240K
    SueyaComp2.jpg
    1735 x 1024 - 247K
    SueyaComp3.jpg
    1735 x 1024 - 247K
    SueyaComp4.jpg
    1735 x 1024 - 247K
    SueyaComp5.jpg
    1735 x 1024 - 248K
    SueyaComp6.jpg
    1735 x 1024 - 240K
    SueyaComp7.jpg
    1735 x 1024 - 239K
    SueyaComp8.jpg
    1735 x 1024 - 247K
    SueyaComp9.jpg
    1735 x 1024 - 247K
    SueyaComp10.jpg
    1735 x 1024 - 246K
    SueyaComp11.jpg
    1735 x 1024 - 247K
    SueyaComp12.jpg
    1735 x 1024 - 246K
    SueyaComp13.jpg
    1735 x 1024 - 239K
    SueyaComp14.jpg
    1735 x 1024 - 250K
    SueyaComp15.jpg
    1735 x 1024 - 255K
    Post edited by Wanderer on
  • this is in PS?

damn, too bad it's on subscription only 

still, very nice feature

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,085

The renders are really impresive.  Sorry for disappearing the second half of the month.  Had a few other projects going on and the next thing I knew, April was over.  How does that happen?

@Wanderer - very informative series of posts.

Will try to be more consistent in next month.

• DangerDetectiveDangerDetective Posts: 30
    edited May 2018

Here is a reworked version of my first submission. I added an outline around some of the figures and adjusted the transparency to emphasize the portion of the image which is simulating motion. I hope it is an overall improvement. This is my final update for this challenge.

What Goes Up copy.jpg
    1800 x 1200 - 651K
    Post edited by DangerDetective on
    edited May 2018

Bravissimo, this looks AWESOME!!!

Cool idea with the transparency and great effect. I absolutely like that. yesheartheartheart

Post edited by daybird on
  • LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,802

This challenge is now closed, I wasn't here much this time but it looks as if you had a lot of fun :D

@Night678winG - Awesome finish on that one. Nicely done!

• daybird said:

Ok, now I'm done for this month. Last entry.

Thanks for the encouragement Daybird, I have been silent with the comments this month but your image consistently caught my attention.The point of view makes me want to cover up my face and brace for the blow :) The scene has a realistic quality and the camera is very cinematic. The expression on the assailant's face and the hair in the eyes are two of my favorite touches. Keep up the great work!

• @Wanderer Thanks for the helpful crutique earlier in the moth. It enabled me to revisit and improve the image. Your clear and specific insights helped me quickly identify and address the problem areas. Also, I enjoyed both of your entries this month, both "Red Gold Blue: The Purification of Old Town" (the fluid pose creates the illusion of movement and the lighting is very dream like) and "Winter Gives Way to Spring" (The warm color underneath the mushroom really draws the eye from the colder looking forest, and the rain droplets add a cool fantasy/magical touch). If I had to only choose only one I would pick "Winter Gives Way to Spring", if only because winter has had a long stubborn grip on the area I live in, I've been longing for spring to finally break through. Part of me wanted to jump into the picture and climb up under that warm looking mushroom :)

• LimunLimun Posts: 182

Hello :-)

can i start with something like this simple spheres , rings and lights?

idea , sugestions .... 

Thanks 

april2018.png
    645 x 762 - 420K

@Limun - Well, this one is closed, but as long as you follow the rules, I don't think anyone would have a problem with you starting where you're comfortable. Feel free to join us under the May challenge thread. 

Limun said:

idea , sugestions .... 

Thanks 

Limun said:

idea , sugestions .... 

Thanks 

Welcome Limun,

how Wanderer said, this contest is closed, but your entry fits perfect to the new thread for this month. So post it there.

• LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,802
    Limun said:

idea , sugestions .... 

Thanks 

welcome @Limun, please come join us here https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/249961/may-2018-daz3d-new-user-challenge-action-props#latest

• LimunLimun Posts: 182

ooo my god, i missed whole mounth :D

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    Linwelly said:

This challenge is now closed, I wasn't here much this time but it looks as if you had a lot of fun :D

• DAZ_ann0314DAZ_ann0314 Posts: 2,819
    edited May 2018

April 2018

Showcased Participants for the April Free Month Challenge

Mission Accomplished
    For this Showcase we looked at the artist who we felt utilized all the different skills learned in the previous challenges (Posing, Lighting, and Composition).

For those reasons we have selected Tynkere to showcase smiley

You Light Up My Life
    For this Showcase we took a look at who we felt achieved use of lighting that accentuated the overall feel and composition of the image.

The New User we felt best showed that this month was shaneseymourstudio

Express Yourself
    For this Showcase we took a look at who we felt created an image that transported you to another world, inspired a certain feeling from their image, or made you reflect on a moment in time.

The New User we felt best showcased those things this month was Novbre

New User - Welcome

dakanamato

Tynkere.jpg
    1559 x 1948 - 537K
    shaneseymourstudio.jpg
    1200 x 1725 - 177K
    Novbre.jpg
    742 x 1200 - 931K
    dakanamato.jpg
    1080 x 1080 - 94K
    Post edited by DAZ_ann0314 on
  • DAZ_ann0314DAZ_ann0314 Posts: 2,819

Congratulations to all those showcased and well done to everyone who participated! There were lots of amazing images to pick from! heartheart

• HighElfHighElf Posts: 326

Congrats to all of you. :)

Well chosen, congrats to the winner. laugh