Ollie 8?

Comments

• ALLIEKATBLUEALLIEKATBLUE Posts: 2,959
    Uh, no thanks DAZ.

He seems well made but I just can't see him in my gene pool. 

• AmaranthAmaranth Posts: 406

I like different and he's so adorable, instant Pro bundle buy !

• maikdeckermaikdecker Posts: 2,750
    Nath said:

Here's Ollie as a quick and not entirely accurate impression of Pratchett's Cohen the Barbarian, with the Vinnuth Kriegor armor. I definitely like him :-)

Looks great... but could use a touch of "Old Chap" I think.

• takezo_3001takezo_3001 Posts: 1,924
    Their primary demographics are not the black and brown ethnicities, as they are mostly secondary, much like it is with television/movies if it were not for push back against under/misrepresentation of ethnics there would not be any as there are simply not enough black and brown people as PAs/customers...But that is changing thanks to millenials

And here I was, thinking that DAZ is selling it's stuff worldwide, which would make ethnical misrepresentation a wee bit trickier than the usual Hollywood misrepresentations...

Perhaps there should be an policy for DAZ to bring out new figures in percentages fitting to thedistribution of ethnicities in the real world.

Too bad that this would mean the number of Orcs, Elves/Elfs, Dwarfs/Dwarves and (add your favourite not really existing fantasy creature or alien here) would be terribly small.

You completely missed the entire point of my post as you literally took it out of context...

• NathNath Posts: 2,713
    Nath said:

Here's Ollie as a quick and not entirely accurate impression of Pratchett's Cohen the Barbarian, with the Vinnuth Kriegor armor. I definitely like him :-)

Looks great... but could use a touch of "Old Chap" I think.

Yes, that would work well. So much to explore!

• IldanachIldanach Posts: 217

Quick try out with Ollie 8 mixed in with Edward and a little bit of Owen. I think he is a great addition to the gene pool.

Ildanach said:

Quick try out with Ollie 8 mixed in with Edward and a little bit of Owen. I think he is a great addition to the gene pool.

Very nice!

"NOW try and keep me from The Precious!" Glumgurgle and the Military GP

precious!.png
    900 x 982 - 1M
  • Carola OCarola O Posts: 3,823

hahahah oh my goodness.. Love that picture Nath!

Carola O said:

hahahah oh my goodness.. Love that picture Nath!

Thank you! (Anyone who wonders, he's steering with his feet...)

• WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,740
    I don't mind if Daz does different things, and Ollie certainly is different. But these sort of characters should be much later down the pipe. Where on earth are the Asian characters? And don't anyone even dare say Aiko has anything to do with Asian.

This...^ But this is an example of priorities...

freni-kyn said:

I think both rendo and Daz have had a lot of individual Asian characters and morphs hit the market. It would be awesome to see pro bundles of other nationalities, Asian, middle eastern, Russian, etc. until then I use the g2 and g3 versions. And quite by accident I’ve recently  become enamored with v4 because she fills gaps that g8 hasn’t touched yet. 

Its more about representation. The Daz Original line is their premiere lineup and always gets top billing for a full two weeks. And they frequently get featured for years on end in other promotions. Not seeing other ethnicity in these lineups is getting old. Waiting until the second half of Genesis 8's life cycle for these characters is not cool, not cool at all. And its a bit degrading to have some sprinkled as "add on" products for other 8 characters. IMO, that's effectively like having the token ethnic side character in other media. Instead, we get Ollie. And sure, I'm fine with Ollie existing. But before Mei Lin or Lee??? Or what about a more Latino character? Come on. What kind of signal does that send?

My guess is that Daz's priorities are already set with market conventions, much like the majority of tech/geek culture/entertainment...Their primary demographics are not the black and brown ethnicities, as they are mostly secondary, much like it is with television/movies if it were not for push back against under/misrepresentation of ethnics there would not be any as there are simply not enough black and brown people as PAs/customers...But that is changing thanks to millenials!

That's how this nation has always been...Asians are fortunate enough as they have already represented themselves well enough in their own countries within tech/geek culture; which is why there's not as loud a protest as much as there are for blacks as they historically had a much more shadowed past with this nation...

The only solution for now is to look to PAs as they are the ones who actually do a much better job at representation, so I would not rely on daz for this, but to be fair they're trying as they've been much better than in the past as the 5th generation has really been the one where they started to develop different ethnicities...But yeah, your concerns are valid and you should always communicate them!

It's not like there aren't already already a lot of Asian characters in the store! Maybe because G8 is so close to G3, they're assuming you can always get Lee7 and a bunch of other characters based on him or use the PA Asian morph packs that are out there. Arguably there are a lot more Asian women than males, but that's what's so great about morph packs-- you can make your own! I'm glad they're trying new things rather than rehash the same old characters from previous generations. 

• maikdeckermaikdecker Posts: 2,750
    Ildanach said:

This oicture reminds me a lot of the actor James Frain 

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,140
    Ildanach said:

His nose is perfect, but I think his eyes could be scaled down a little (if you were looking for a little more realism). Having said that, I think this character will mix in nicely. Not everyone is a model ;).

Laurie

• WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,740
    Ildanach said:

At first I thought there was nothing there but it linked to Dropbox and that looks amazing! I love these kinds of characters because they really add to the gene pool.

• valzheimervalzheimer Posts: 519
    edited March 2018

To each his own, I guess - I bought the bundle precisely because it wasn't a G8 flavored re-release of a character I already own several generations of. Like others, he reminds me of a Nursoda creation (which is a huge compliment), only more useful because he's based on G8M so he can wear other's clothing and take part in my forbidden gene pool experiments.

Was also swayed since Josh's Glumgurgle was included in the bundle, which is something I would have picked up for sure. And oh yeah, I got the Darius 7 Pro Bundle, too.

Anyway, here's Ollie borrowing some clothes from 3DU's Mythical Pixie:

- Greg

This looks absolutely brilliant!

Post edited by valzheimer on
    edited March 2018

urgh....I hate this forum software...lol.

Post edited by AllenArt on
    AllenArt said:
    Ildanach said:

His nose is perfect, but I think his eyes could be scaled down a little (if you were looking for a little more realism). Having said that, I think this character will mix in nicely. Not everyone is a model ;).

Laurie

Spot on! yes I only thought of that after the render was finished, but you are right. If I was going to use him I'd sort the eyes out and adjust a couple of other things.

Ildanach said:

At first I thought there was nothing there but it linked to Dropbox and that looks amazing! I love these kinds of characters because they really add to the gene pool.

Exactly!  That's why I love these characters too. I'd probably never use them out of the box, but they add all sorts of great shapes when mixed with other characters.

• RedfernRedfern Posts: 1,580

If his ears stuck out just a bit, that custom morph would make a stylized Christopher Eccleston (the 9th Doctor).

Sincerely,

Bill

• Dim ReaperDim Reaper Posts: 687

I had a quick look at Ollie this morning on my phone at work and decided that he wasn't for me.  However...after having a longer look at the promo pages and this thread this evening I decided to buy the pro bundle and add-ons because I think that this is a nice change from the norm of base characters and as others have said, he should make for some very interesting looking characters when mixed with other figures.  Downloading now, but unfortunately it's too late in the evening to have a proper play.

edited March 2018

Another quick test, bit grainy as I didn't let it finish. Just mixed a little Ollie 8 into the character I use on my profile picture.

Post edited by Ildanach on
  • nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929

I adore Ollie, and confess that  today is the first time I have ever purchased a Pro Bundle on release day. I see him more as a caricature than a toon or fantasy figure and will get a lot of use from him!!!

That's great. That's the reason I bought him too. His face and body is so expressive. Botoxed faces just aren't expressive enough.

• Looks very hmmmmm wink

• carrie58carrie58 Posts: 3,951
    edited March 2018

I mixed him with Tyrone for a bit of difference on the left is Ollie with Tyrone skin n the right is Ollie with Tryone mixed in

OllieTyronemix.png
    1148 x 1595 - 2M
    Post edited by carrie58 on
  • HeraHera Posts: 1,952

Not really my cup of tea, and not really interested in any of those outfits either.

Maybe next time.

Ildanach said:

Another quick test, bit grainy as I didn't let it finish. Just mixed a little Ollie 8 into the character I use on my profile picture.

LOVE it!! :D

Laurie

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929
    AllenArt said:
    Ildanach said:

LOVE it!! :D

Laurie

Yeah, that is quite good actually.

• dreamfarmerdreamfarmer Posts: 2,128

I feel like them not doing the 'Ollie Mixed With Others' page was probably a mistake, given how much character he adds to otherwise typical-Daz faces.

• valzheimervalzheimer Posts: 519
    edited March 2018
    Ildanach said:

He looks like he came out straight from the Italian soccer league, just give him a soccer ball and put him on the field! :) Very cool render, possibly one of the most realistic looks I have seen lately.

Post edited by valzheimer on
  • QuasarQuasar Posts: 574
    edited March 2018

When I first saw him, I was pretty sure he was worth getting. He reminds me of characters you might see in films like Despicable Me. Even though I don't render toons too often, I do like fantasy. He would make a good house elf and the like. Mixing him into more realistic characters looks great too, as others have shown here. With his sale price, the discount for the 4 add on items and the free pro bundle, I don't think I can pass him up. I just have to decide if I want the dragon 3 pro bundle or Horse 2 pro bundle. I'm leaning towards the horse since I have a few of the other dragons. 

Post edited by Quasar on