GenX2 and Genesis 2 AddOn released! [Commercial]

Comments

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited December 1969

I have an interesting problem. (Putting it nicely.) I hadn't used GenX2 for over a year, so refreshed my memory on how to use it. Well, my problem (the first one) is that after I transferred my V4 gal, I went to the Shaping tab and no Victoria 4. My character is there, under GenX, so no problem, but I need to dial up Victoria 4 to 1.0 in the Shaping tab, and she isn't there.

So even though earlier parts of the thread said you don't need to close the studio to see results, I did already try that too. How do I get Victoria 4 into the Shaping Tab? (and please speak simple english, I'm not technical.)

• Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
    edited May 2015

Was this character transferred using V4 herself, or was it a V4 shape based character from Genesis1? GenX should auto-create a clone, at least it does for mine. I usually end up removing the auto-generated one as I own the Victoria 4 for Genesis 2 Female product.

I believe the auto-generated clone ends up under Generation X > **People**

Post edited by Lissa_xyz on
    edited December 1969

Vaskania said:
    Was this character transferred using V4 herself, or was it a V4 shape based character from Genesis1? GenX should auto-create a clone, at least it does for mine. I usually end up removing the auto-generated one as I own the Victoria 4 for Genesis 2 Female product.

I believe the auto-generated clone ends up under Generation X > **People**

Thanks for replying Vaskania :) I did a second character and V4 appeared in the Shaping Tab. Don't know why it didn't the first time. I had reinstalled all the necessary products to do the conversion and it wasn't showing up, so who knows. Thanks again anyway!

edited December 1969

One thing I didn't see in the thread (wading through) was the jaw fix for V4 in the Shaping>Head>Generation X>Victoria 4
    Should I crank that up to 1.0? Does every V4 need that fix?

• Dimension3DDimension3D Posts: 464
    edited December 1969

The Jaw Fix was used by GenX1 to fix differences in the rigging. It was only necessary for transferred morphs that change the position of the jaws. It is no longer required for morphs transferred by GenX2, because GenX2 does all adjustments in the morph directly.

edited May 2015

Here's Hadley (V4) on Genesis. It has the corrected UV Map product which makes a big difference with the eyebrows, nose, and lips on many of the ones I tested last year.

Edit: this is the one without the adjusted UV map. (Which requires another product.)

HadleyV4GenXGenesisJenaHair.jpg
    738 x 1500 - 810K
    Post edited by Novica on
    edited December 1969

Quick question- I already did a V4 to Genesis (with the ++morphs) so it shows up under "Recent." Does that mean the ++ morphs are there too?

edited December 1969

Depends on the settings you used. If you used single morph, I believe the morphs++ morphs are rolled into the 1 dial. To be able to use 1 dial, but still have the morphs++ morphs as separate dials you can edit manually, IIRC change Mode > Selected Morphs (with controller).

edited May 2015

Thank you. The single morph will be fine. I've done a couple characters since I posted and it seems to be doing fine. Appreciate your help.

Edit: attached Lucia (V4) GenX'd onto Genesis. Sad that she isn't in the store anymore, she's a nice character.

luciaGenXLarge.png
    400 x 400 - 278K
    Post edited by Novica on
    edited December 1969

If a character has an eye fix, do you transfer that when you GenX the character? Logically, it seems like it won't work on the new base figure as it's designed for the initial one. (aka, I am still doing V4 onto Genesis) I'm doing Eliza for V4.

edited May 2015

I like to transfer any fix morphs as single morphs on their own and then use ERC freeze to link the fix to the main dial, so it will dial in, but I can still remove it if need be.

Comes in handy to dial in base chars for GenX'd chars too. When I transferred A3 XinXin to Genesis1 way back when, I transferred the head w/ a controller morph so when I dial in XinXin, the head auto dials, and then I ERC froze A3's shape to XinXin so I don't have to manually dial in A3 every time I use XinXin.

For G2F though, I just transfer heads now and use her own dials to create bodies, unless it's a drastic stylized body.

Post edited by Lissa_xyz on
    edited December 1969

I know I should know this, but I don't want to mess anything up. I'm doing M4 to Genesis, my first one. I got the Michael 4 cr2 and the ++ injections. In the Morph Injections section there is the thumbnail with "+ Shape" on a yellow banner on the thumbnail, and the thumbnail is labeled INJ Base M4.pz2

Do I need that one too? (I'm using the Studio.)
    Thanks in advance. :)

• TotteTotte Posts: 13,503
    edited December 1969

I found a little "feature" in GenX2 that can bite your rear when you change your Contentdirectory layout.
    As GenX2 keeps a list of all known content directories in the setting GenX2.ini, replacing content directories, like moving it from one drive to another, and remove the old one in DS and add the new one, GenX2 will still look in the one it had mapped and fail to load the base .cr2 or .duf file. Easy to fix with a text editor but sometimes painful to figure out.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,561
    edited December 1969

...thanks for the warning on that as I use a multi drive setup.

edited December 1969

GenX2 does not keep any references to the content directory list in its INI file. It accesses the content directory list used by DS. What GenX2 is storing in the INI is the list of recently used files like figure CR2s loaded from the content library. If you move one of these files, the reference is no longer valid.

edited June 2015

GenX2 does not keep any references to the content directory list in its INI file. It accesses the content directory list used by DS. What GenX2 is storing in the INI is the list of recently used files like figure CR2s loaded from the content library. If you move one of these files, the reference is no longer valid.

Sorry DT, but it does.

I changed the content from two directories, /Volumes/DAZBoot/DAZ3Content & /Volumes/DAZBoot/DAZ4Content to one named /Volumes/DAZBoot/CleanDS

After that, when I did click "Source" and selected Michael 4, I got the attached "error loading figure".

In the inifile this was found
    [recent]
    0=/Volumes/DAZBoot/DAZ3Content/Runtime/libraries/Character/DAZ People/Victoria 4.2.cr2
    1=/Volumes/DazBoot/DAZ3Content/Runtime/libraries/Character/DAZ People/Michael 4.cr2

[folder]
    0=/Volumes/DazBoot/DAZ3Content/Runtime/libraries/Character/DAZ People

So I quit DS, removed those cached lines, started DS again, and there were gone, so when I selected Michael 4 from the Content Library again a new correct entry was added to the list.

error-genx2.jpg
    268 x 300 - 6K
    Post edited by Totte on
    edited December 1969

Sorry, but it does not. As I said, this is a reference to a file that you loaded from the content library before. It's not a reference to a content library folder.

The entries in the "Source" button menu is a "most recent used files" list, just like you have for many other applications. You don't expect to find a document by your text application if you moved it somewhere else, do you?

edited December 1969

Depends on OS and what you save, you save a full path so that won't work, but that's OK.

DS itself will remove files in cannot find from the recents menu (I know as I often store save files on network volumes that I sometimes forget to mount).

So either run through and drop off items unavailable at pane open to ensure missing items will be gone, or a button to refresh the list that will drop unavailable items (if you want the user friendly approach). The reason I wrote this was to help those who have moved the content then posting here in the forums (or on facebook) that this doesn't work anymore ("DIM Broke my GenX2" for example).

Also, if you do add for example M4, change content location, load M4 again from the new location, change again and load M4 again you will have 3 M4 in the list, and yes, logic says the one closest to the bottom of the list is the one that will actually load, but things like that might confuse, or will confuse, users, specially new ones, those who install stuff, change their minds and Reinstall content to new locations.

Don't take this a critics of the product in general, it's one of the best utilities for DS out there. I use it a lot in combination with the Skin transfer scripts to move many of my non DAZ M4 skins and morphs to Genesis/G2M as many of those are very unique and useful.

edited December 1969

Sure, MRU list could remove files not found or do some other clean up. I'll put it on the list for future updates.

I mainly wanted to point out that GenX2 is aware of content libraries where it is relying on it, e.g. when loading Genesis figures.

• PulpArtstPulpArtst Posts: 88
    edited December 1969

I've had success transfering morphs from every V4 character I've tried to G2F except one. It's from another store so I don't know what the procedure is here for posting a link to it, so I'll not post one unless requested.

I've gone through the usual process of loading the V4 base and Morphs++ and then dragging in the inj without success. I tried creating a character (*.ds) file and dragging that over and it didn't work. I went in to the pz2 file itself and I noticed that it is calling the morphs from another folder by a script. This seemed odd to me, and perhaps is the problem.

I've tried "Get Value from Figure in Scene" and no morphs are loaded.

I've tried to save the figure as a Property Preset without success.

Any thoughts on this? I can of course successfully load the morph on to V4.

• QuietrobQuietrob Posts: 361
    edited December 1969

JartStar said:
    I've had success transfering morphs from every V4 character I've tried to G2F except one. It's from another store so I don't know what the procedure is here for posting a link to it, so I'll not post one unless requested.

I've gone through the usual process of loading the V4 base and Morphs++ and then dragging in the inj without success. I tried creating a character (*.ds) file and dragging that over and it didn't work. I went in to the pz2 file itself and I noticed that it is calling the morphs from another folder by a script. This seemed odd to me, and perhaps is the problem.

I've tried "Get Value from Figure in Scene" and no morphs are loaded.

I've tried to save the figure as a Property Preset without success.

Any thoughts on this? I can of course successfully load the morph on to V4.

I am the least of all knowledgeable regarding GenX2, Genesis et al. So I'm pretty basic. If I couldn't find the answer, I ask people here, failing that or if I get zero response, I ask the vendor who created the morphs if they have any idea's. Most are pretty helpful. You already know who the content creator is, why don't you message them with the product and the problem. If you don't wish or can't do that, check out Sickleyield on DeviantArt. He has a wealth of information regarding genesis.

Lastly, you may not wish to post the link as there may be some rule against it but just mentioning the product shouldn't get you banned or in trouble.

Hope that helps.

edited December 1969

Thanks quietrob. The character in question is Pretty Base IV which quickly shows up on a search. I'll contact the creator and see if they have any suggestions.

edited December 1969

If an injection works for V4 in DS or Poser, but not in GenX, the simplest workaround is to inject the morph into V4 and resave it as a new CR2 to be used in GenX. This may happen for some uncommon injections and is the only way to get binary morph injections into GenX.

Also note, that some morphs are injected but just not listed, depending on the filter settings for the GenX morph list. For the "Create Single Morph" mode, it's recommended to set the least possible restrictions under "Show in list" from the context menu of the morph list.

edited December 1969

Using a CR2 file and showing all of the morphs did the trick! Thanks so much.

• carrie58carrie58 Posts: 3,951
    edited December 1969

Dimension3D ,I've got a question for you??So are you gonna create an add-on for GenX2 to make it possible to bring in Genesis 3???or has the thought of being asked that question already made your head implode:cheese: Just wondering cause I personally like GenX rather then buying all the different characters that's gonna come out for Genesis3.......and if I've made you head implode .....sorry ........

edited December 1969

Well, this question is not that unexpected ...

I have not yet looked at the details for Genesis 3, so I can't say yet when I will add Genesis 3 support for GenX2. But I will work on it. However, I may wait for the male figure, so I can do both together, but I have not yet deceided about that.

• RogerbeeRogerbee Posts: 4,460
    edited December 1969

The thing that gets me about that idea is, if the morphs for G3 are better, why then would you want to import something into it that essentially isn't!? The best way to work with the older generation is to continue using it. I did actually start realising that when I got into Genesis 2 and started to get why holding back on getting GenX2 was a good idea. When I get more into G3, I will use it as G3 and reap the benefits that it brings. If you want a figure that looks like Genesis or Genesis2 then why not just use them!?

CHEERS!

• HavosHavos Posts: 5,305
    edited December 1969

Rogerbee said:

The thing that gets me about that idea is, if the morphs for G3 are better, why then would you want to import something into it that essentially isn't!? The best way to work with the older generation is to continue using it. I did actually start realising that when I got into Genesis 2 and started to get why holding back on getting GenX2 was a good idea. When I get more into G3, I will use it as G3 and reap the benefits that it brings. If you want a figure that looks like Genesis or Genesis2 then why not just use them!?

CHEERS!

Remember a lot of this is about increasing the gene pool, you may bring shapes over to just use part of it. However the main reason is to bring existing characters over to take advantage of the new tech. If you are a comic creator you do not want existing characters to change appearence half way through the story, but you might want the character to have access to certain morphs/pose controls not existing in it's original figure. Likewise certain clothing you want them to wear may work better on the newer figure. You might also want the character to look better in certain poses due to the later figures superior bends.

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,312
    edited December 1969

Rogerbee said:

CHEERS!

because there were a lot of morphs that weren't made for newer figures, for example Capsces morphs - Morphlet and Faerime just to mention a couple.

• NadinoNadino Posts: 258
    edited December 1969

Well, this question is not that unexpected ...

I have not yet looked at the details for Genesis 3, so I can't say yet when I will add Genesis 3 support for GenX2. But I will work on it. However, I may wait for the male figure, so I can do both together, but I have not yet deceided about that.

Thank you so much for this info. :)
    Either now or when G3M is ready, I know it'll be worth the wait.