The "Complaints 'R' Us, complaint thread"

This discussion was created from comments split from: The No Complaint too Trivial Complaint Thread.

Comments

• I've got a small flat electrostatic speaker on a long cord attached to the radio beside my bed.  I stuff the speaker in my pillow at night and turn the volume way down.  Just enough sound to hear music but not let it keep me awake.  However, the cable to the speaker plugs in with an 1/8 inch jack and if I move my pillow the wrong way, the jack un-jacks.  Mumble, grumble, now I gotta move and find that cord that just fell under my bed. frown

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,704

I use a bluetooth speaker to make my echo dot quieter.  I had a housemate complain to me it is bothering her when  it talks in the morning.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,576
    edited February 2018

...yeah really need to do something about the headphone issue, but even moderately good sounding ones are spendy.

...The My Headphones Keep Flaking Out Complaint Thread.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • I use the speaker under my pillow because I'm somewhat hard of hearing and if I turn up my radio enough to hear it without the speaker extension under my pillow I'm afraid I'll disturb the people in the other apartment at night.

• NVIATWASNVIATWAS Posts: 1,242
    kyoto kid said:

On my mini-adventure last Thursday I stopped in at Dominoes and picked up one of their 3-toppings for $7 large pizzas.  I eat one piece and freeze the rest individually for meal or snack later.  I can make one cheap pizza last for two or three weeks. enlightened  The trick is knowing how to cook a frozen slice of pizza without turning it into cardboard.  (microwave:  instead of 1 minute on high, cook it for 6 minutes on 1/5 power) experiment with the time until you get it right.  But don't increase the power or you'll turn it into tough cardboard. no

But for heaven's sake don't cook it for 6 minutes on full power.  The oil bursts into flame generating thick oily black smoke that lingers in your home for weeks and turns the inside of your microwave an ugly streaky dark brown.  (The voice of experience).

...yeah I still have half that pizza left over. I do a similar thing in that I put it in the MW for about a minute then heat the oven to about 175° - 200° and put it in there for about 5 min.  Not enough to cook it as to just warm it to proper eating temperature without turning the crust to rubber..

Air fryer, wrapped in foil, 5min. at 225f.  Nice, warm, not turned into armor plating! :-O

...yeah that's why I don't have my mini home theatre system set up.  Was fine in the previous house as I has the only bedroom on that floor, and it helped drown out the other noise.

NVIATWAS said:
    kyoto kid said:

On my mini-adventure last Thursday I stopped in at Dominoes and picked up one of their 3-toppings for $7 large pizzas.  I eat one piece and freeze the rest individually for meal or snack later.  I can make one cheap pizza last for two or three weeks. enlightened  The trick is knowing how to cook a frozen slice of pizza without turning it into cardboard.  (microwave:  instead of 1 minute on high, cook it for 6 minutes on 1/5 power) experiment with the time until you get it right.  But don't increase the power or you'll turn it into tough cardboard. no

But for heaven's sake don't cook it for 6 minutes on full power.  The oil bursts into flame generating thick oily black smoke that lingers in your home for weeks and turns the inside of your microwave an ugly streaky dark brown.  (The voice of experience).

...yeah I still have half that pizza left over. I do a similar thing in that I put it in the MW for about a minute then heat the oven to about 175° - 200° and put it in there for about 5 min.  Not enough to cook it as to just warm it to proper eating temperature without turning the crust to rubber..

Air fryer, wrapped in foil, 5min. at 225f.  Nice, warm, not turned into armor plating! :-O

...how much does one of those cost?  Sounds like they can do quite a bit.

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,704

Wonder if I should watch netflix or maze runner.

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

smells like dutch apple pie baking.

fresg heavy whipping cream to make corn syrup free whip cream 

happy dance

did anyone save the old forum emotiguy emoticons?
    nostalgic for the :happydance:

• My hearing problem isn't bad enough that I have to have a hearing aid yet, but I miss out on high frequencies.  At a symphony I stare at the person playing the triangle and watch them hit it but rarely hear anything.  One of the clerks at the local Wendy's restaurant has a really high voice and all I hear from her are garbled mouse squeaks.  I have to ask her to repeat and watch her mouth carefully.   I watch TV with captions turned on.  Many times the caption will indicate "phone ringing" or "doorbell" and I didn't hear a thing.  Makes me want to go to more symphonies while I can still hear enough to be happy with.

Complaint:  Yuggg... I'm still being invaded by these black and red flying bugs.  One just crawled under my fingers while typing this message.  Yuggg.... no  Grabbed it with a Kleenex, squished it and disposed of it. 

kickoffing new thread with gears diddy

As I read the Gazette to catch up on the news,
    Some classified adverts I chanced to peruse.
    When I saw a category called "Steampunk",
    I turned to it eagerly, but left in a funk.
    For I quite enjoy the steampunk aesthetic,
    But what I beheld there was rather pathetic!
    These intrepid online auctioneers
    Had just taken modern objects and stuck on some gears!
    It's simply not cricket!
    It shouldn't be done!
    But it's clear how their thoughts had run:

Just glue some gears on it, and call it steampunk;
    That's the trendy fashion nowadays!
    A copper-painted chunk of some nineteen-eighties junk
    Will fetch a pretty penny on eBay!

But it got even worse than that, I'm afraid:
    And as I went on, I became more dismayed;
    For they often didn't modify the things they wanted me to buy
    Heavens to Besty!
    They'll end up on Regretsy!
    Steampunk is more than a mere mode of dress
    or decoration, so it brings me some distress
    To see a metal cicada described with that name,
    Or a teacup,
    a mood ring,
    a silver gilt frame.
    Gluing on gears at least takes effort;
    This is sloth of the worst sort!

"Steampunk" refers to a type of science fiction
    about alternate pasts (not future prediction),
    Often set in Victorian Britain,
    But the history of technology has been rewritten.
    So put a bit of thought into your designs!
    Use leather and brass, nineteenth century lines!
    "Retro-futuristic" is a good explanation;
    Blend antique reality with imagination.
    But calling things "steampunk" to try to sound "cool",
    Makes you look like a bloody fool!

Gauges and rivets, copper tubing and glass
    Lend a steampunk creation a real touch of class
    Gears are appropriate to introduce
    If they look like they have a legitimate use.
    Although Nixie tubes are undeniably splendid,
    They date from long after the Age of Steam ended.
    (Pity, really; I just love Nixie tubes.)
    Anyway, I hope you've comprehended.
    So use the word "steampunk" correctly, old chap
    And don't use it to refer to crap!

...congrats LeatherGryphon on winning the thread.

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,173
    edited February 2018
    kyoto kid said:

Ooh, cool beans!  smiley  I won, I won!

I'm planning on my mini-adventure to Buffalo tomorrow.  Packing emergency supplies.  Long johns, boots, heavy gloves, blanket, pillow, water bottles, snacks, full tank of gas, extra cash, cell phone & charger, portable radio, favorite CDs, batteries, flashlights.  Going to Buffalo in mid-winter is risky.  The Interstate goes right along the east shore of Lake Erie.  A lake effect storm can stop traffic in short time.  I don't want to spend 24-48 hours without being able to keep from freezing, dehydrating, starving, being incommunicado, broke, or bored.

And even if the Interstate next to the lake is ice & snow free, I still have to climb up over the ridge of hills to get inland and it isn't called "The Snow Ridge" for nothing. frown

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • k410k410 Posts: 75

Just bought a new stereo receiver which has a very clean signal -- so clean that no sound comes out of it at all, not even static.  Bleh.

• 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,287
    kyoto kid said:

Ooh, cool beans!  smiley  I won, I won!

I'm planning on my mini-adventure to Buffalo tomorrow.  Packing emergency supplies.  Long johns, boots, heavy gloves, blanket, pillow, water bottles, snacks, full tank of gas, extra cash, cell phone & charger, portable radio, favorite CDs, batteries, flashlights.  Going to Buffalo in mid-winter is risky.  The Interstate goes right along the east shore of Lake Erie.  A lake effect storm can stop traffic in short time.  I don't want to spend 24-48 hours without being able to keep from freezing, dehydrating, starving, being incommunicado, broke, or bored.

OH wow, sounds very risky. I'm glad you're taking precautions. Take extra supplies - like what you think you'll need and double it. This storm season is very unpredictable. 

• k410 said:

Just bought a new stereo receiver which has a very clean signal -- so clean that no sound comes out of it at all, not even static.  Bleh.

That's not good.  no

...going Cajun tonight, Red Beans, Rice, with Andouille Sausage cut up and mixed in with buttered baby carrots on the side . Dat gonna burn so good.

k410 said:

..check the fuses (do Hi Fi components even have those any more?).

• Just browsing around YouTube and found a recording of "The Great Gate of Kiev" the finale from Mussorgsky's "Pictures At An Exhibition".  Really nice version.  Lots of unusual nuances, voices & strange instruments..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vw7OM_Q810k

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,086
    NVIATWAS said:
    kyoto kid said:

I heat my leftover pizza in the microwave for about 18 seconds on high, to get it warm inside a bit.  Then I put it in the toaster oven for a few minutes.  Works for me.

Dana

kyoto kid said:
    NVIATWAS said:
    kyoto kid said:

...how much does one of those cost?  Sounds like they can do quite a bit.

They're not that cheap, alas.  This is the one I own:

https://www.amazon.com/Avalon-Bay-Capacity-Airfryer-AB-Airfryer100W/dp/B00NU68QWA/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1518311210&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=avalon+air+fryer&th=1

The only fail I've had was trying to cook a whole fried egg, and I think that was due to me not following directions.  Cooked burgers, ribs, beets, turnips, soup, stew, chicken, taters, all kinds of frozen stuff.  The cooking basket is perfect for one person and it uses a hell of a lot less electric than an oven.  It does exhaust some hot air out the back so mine is about 14in. from the painted wall.  It willkeep a small, poorly ventilated room warm.

My hearing problem isn't bad enough that I have to have a hearing aid yet, but I miss out on high frequencies.  At a symphony I stare at the person playing the triangle and watch them hit it but rarely hear anything.  One of the clerks at the local Wendy's restaurant has a really high voice and all I hear from her are garbled mouse squeaks.  I have to ask her to repeat and watch her mouth carefully.   I watch TV with captions turned on.  Many times the caption will indicate "phone ringing" or "doorbell" and I didn't hear a thing.  Makes me want to go to more symphonies while I can still hear enough to be happy with.

Complaint:  Yuggg... I'm still being invaded by these black and red flying bugs.  One just crawled under my fingers while typing this message.  Yuggg.... no  Grabbed it with a Kleenex, squished it and disposed of it. 

The hearing thing is not good but not unusual as folks get older.  In theory I should be stone-cold deaffrom decades of loud hard rock and metal, yet my hearing is the most reliable sense I have!  Weird.

For flying bugs I hang sticky fly strips.  No poison, works on house flies,black flies, and fruit flies so far with a couple of incredibly stupid mosquitos.  Dirt cheap too!

k410 said:

But it's super high fidelity and perfect for this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4′33″

kyoto kid said:
    k410 said:

..check the fuses (do Hi Fi components even have those any more?).

My hi-fi had multiple outputs.  Took me hours of reading Japanglish manuals to figure it out... :-|

DanaTA said:
    NVIATWAS said:
    kyoto kid said:

I heat my leftover pizza in the microwave for about 18 seconds on high, to get it warm inside a bit.  Then I put it in the toaster oven for a few minutes.  Works for me.

Dana

A reasoned and workable approach!

• If it's a receiver, does it have anything to receive?  Have you found all the right outputs and buttons?

I've been thinking about getting a receiver for FM radio to add to the TV/Computer/speaker system in my livingroom.  But I'm afraid I have to admit that I'm old fashioned, but modern equipment all seems to be new fashioned.  All I want is a good FM receiver with built-in amplifier that can drive half decent small speakers but everything I look at seems to have HD TV and a zillion inputs and outputs and enough power to make toast at twenty paces.

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241

If it's a receiver, does it have anything to receive?  Have you found all the right outputs and buttons?

I've been thinking about getting a receiver for FM radio to add to the TV/Computer/speaker system in my livingroom.  But I'm afraid I have to admit that I'm old fashioned, but modern equipment all seems to be new fashioned.  All I want is a good FM receiver with built-in amplifier that can drive half decent small speakers but everything I look at seems to have HD TV and a zillion inputs and outputs and enough power to make toast at twenty paces.

Instead of getting an expensive radio that can make toast, you can save a few bucks and buy a cheap toaster that also receives FM radio.

haha!  not joking.  https://www.amazon.com/Platinum-ERT-6067-Maxi-Matic-Multi-Function-Stainless/dp/B00OIT6V5C

laaa Yo momma dont dance, nuhuh, Yo daddy doan rock n roll, no noo ooo ooo

• People be changing their avatar pix.  How would you like it if you woke up and your next door neighbor had a new face? #Ihatechange

my avie is seasonal. almost time for my spring face lol

This discussion has been closed.