June Freebie Challenge - Summer Fun & Pin-Ups

Comments

• mmalbertmmalbert Posts: 412
    edited December 1969

DanaTA said:
    I like it...and I have Mike's Tiki bar! I thought it looked to be pretty good quality for a freebie!

I think it started out as a paid-for item -- maybe a Real Deal? -- but then it was converted into a freebie. It's an oldie, but a goodie!

I just wish I could get the torch flame morphs to work, but the PMD stuff doesn't appear to be on speaking terms with my DS3.

• Sky77Sky77 Posts: 820
    edited December 1969

...Since I use Bryce as a final render engine I can import any number of files from different formats that Poser and Studio can't (Studio seems to have more restrictions in that regard). I can use a easily available conversion program for some things, but that often opens up a whole 'nuther can of worms. Dose that put me at an "advantage" over other people? I dunno...

Hey LG
    I know it's been a while, but if I recall correctly it had always been your talent that put you at an advantage over us all... ; )

Skywalker!!! 'S been a long time! We ain't seen you 'round here in a 'coon's age....and racoons ain't known for there long life spans. And in respects to my "talent", it's more experience than anything, I guess. After 30+ years as a jobbing artist I'm only now figuring out how to put a decent scene together that's something somebody might want to look at. The only real advantage is that now I don't get paint all over myself and the floor like I did back in the old times. I do sort of miss the old paper, pencil, pen and ink days of my youth...Alas, age and eyesight have taken their toll...

I agree, there is something about the smell of a freshly sharpened pencil and the feel of dusty color pastel on your face. For some reason, drawing with a mouse or stylus just doesn't seem the same. LOL
    One thing though, it sure is a lot easer to fix little slips of the hand or a stray drop of paint this way! :- )

• music2u4umusic2u4u Posts: 2,822
    edited June 2013

There was a cowboy riding his horse on the desert trail when he came upon an indian. The indian was lying face down on the ground with his ear to the trail. He looked up at the cowboy and he said "two horses with men", put his ear back down on the ground again, then looked up again and said "large heard of cows...many wagons". The cowboy got off his horse and got down on the ground beside him and put his ear to the ground. He heard nothing. He then looked at the indian and said " You can hear all that through the ground?" The indian replied "No...ran over me...about ten minutes ago!"

Dang cows!

:-)

SmilingCow.jpg
    201 x 251 - 6K
    Post edited by music2u4u on
  • DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,114
    edited December 1969

music2u4u said:
    There was a cowboy riding his horse on the desert trail when he came upon an indian. The indian was lying face down on the ground with his ear to the trail. He looked up at the cowboy and he said "two horses with men", put his ear back down on the ground again, then looked up again and said "large heard of cows...many wagons". The cowboy got off his horse and got down on the ground beside him and put his ear to the ground. He heard nothing. He then looked at the indian and said " You can hear all that through the ground?" The indian replied "No...ran over me...about ten minutes ago!"

Dang cows!

Holy Cow, Batman! :D

Dana

• DollyGirlDollyGirl Posts: 2,650
    edited December 1969

Dollygirl said:
    Yea what Rob says. I have all of the Gen 3 and 4 shapes for Genesis, so an A3 dress can be used on Genesis just as easily. These "older" products are really great and to have a Genesis and DAZ Studio 4 that can take and use this stuff is even greater. Sure you may have to do some work to get the mat files to work but it is free. You can even use some of the Poser dynamic clothing because of the features of Studio. The problem is that unless you hunt for answers to "can I do this?" or come across a discussion you do not know what you can and can not do with Studio. The only thing that I have seen get lost are some of the free unique shaders that Studio 2 and 3 had that are no longer available. Like my darn blinn shaders. I can't get them to work anymore! We just need to tell people that old stuff can be repurposed.

Can you tell me more about the dynamics part? I still haven't had any of it work in DS yet... :- )

Sure. Bring the obj into Studio. If you are using Gen 3 or Gen 4 you have to convert them to Weight mapping. For Genesis this is not necessary. Select the obj and using the Transfer Utility transfer the bones to the object. The object will now pose the same as your model. I think, but have not tried, to transfer morphs into the newly rigged obj but once you have it rigged you should be able to add the morphs. I think if you want to save it for another time you would save it as a figure/prop asset. Below is StudioArtVartanian's Lucians Poser Dynamic shirt on M4. If you want more folds on the shirt you would have to introduce d-formers. If you have more questions then I would suggest going over to the marvelous design forum. That is where I discovered this trick.

PoserDynamic.jpg
    500 x 707 - 102K
  • Tramp GraphicsTramp Graphics Posts: 2,406
    edited December 1969

ZamuelNow said:
    In my eyes, I see the main issue as using multiples from the same vendor and perhaps using your own freebies. There's a lot of things that seem to be only posted on the big two sites, especially if you use Genesis. I feel a lot of the challenge should be...the challenge. The actual theme of the month should have something interesting and unique about it, save for some of the recurring annuals like June and October have. I had to scrap an entry this month since the freebie didn't work and the image would have been different than stuff here. While it happens, there's the vibe of being judged off the ability to use site search engines (some of which are useless at best) as opposed to making a quality image within a theme without a ton of paid items.
    Thank You Zamuel. That too is my feeling on the matter. That's why I said we should leave well enough alone. The important thing is the theme and finding (or already having) the freebies to fit the theme, regardless of their source. For many of us, it's not about the hunt, but rather, about the art and the theme.
  • Gloomy007Gloomy007 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

music2u4u said:
    I agree with Krissy. Leave well enough alone.

Well it is not being left alone, but going the "other" way gradually. So if it is going to go with changes, why not have it go in a more creative way. Anyone can be lazy just to try to get a prize. This ain't a box of Cracker Jacks ya know...lol. Besides...what is there to be afraid of to the point of not messing with it? Stimulation is growth...like grass that is mowed. Leave it alone and it will just get overcome with weeds, get shaggy and die. Keep it mowed and see how beautiful it can be. New growth is a good thing.

I agree that using freebies from only 1 source is not the point of the challenge at all. There is more than enough sites which offer cool freebies, and are older than my stay at poserverse. And thank goodness for those.

edited June 2013

ZamuelNow said:
    In my eyes, I see the main issue as using multiples from the same vendor and perhaps using your own freebies. There's a lot of things that seem to be only posted on the big two sites, especially if you use Genesis. I feel a lot of the challenge should be...the challenge. The actual theme of the month should have something interesting and unique about it, save for some of the recurring annuals like June and October have. I had to scrap an entry this month since the freebie didn't work and the image would have been different than stuff here. While it happens, there's the vibe of being judged off the ability to use site search engines (some of which are useless at best) as opposed to making a quality image within a theme without a ton of paid items.
    Thank You Zamuel. That too is my feeling on the matter. That's why I said we should leave well enough alone. The important thing is the theme and finding (or already having) the freebies to fit the theme, regardless of their source. For many of us, it's not about the hunt, but rather, about the art and the theme.

I can appreciate your opinion of what the challenge is all about. I have (and I have been up in here daily for over 5 years) a different perspective on what it is all about. I believe it is all about having fun first and getting links for freebies for others to go get. If they all come from only one or two sources, then we could just all go over to that site and download away...no links really needed. Finding new ones and interesting different ones IS the challenge. So, yes it is about the hunt. The theme is to keep it changed up for different ideas monthly, the art is the outcome of what you do with the different freebies. If we did not find new sources for new freebies, then we would all be using the same freebies over and over in our entries. That would get mighty boring and not much work or fun. After all, it is called the Freebie Challenge, not the art challenge. There are tons of art contests out there. That's what makes us so different from all the rest.

edited June 2013

Dollygirl said:
    Dollygirl said:
    Yea what Rob says. I have all of the Gen 3 and 4 shapes for Genesis, so an A3 dress can be used on Genesis just as easily. These "older" products are really great and to have a Genesis and DAZ Studio 4 that can take and use this stuff is even greater. Sure you may have to do some work to get the mat files to work but it is free. You can even use some of the Poser dynamic clothing because of the features of Studio. The problem is that unless you hunt for answers to "can I do this?" or come across a discussion you do not know what you can and can not do with Studio. The only thing that I have seen get lost are some of the free unique shaders that Studio 2 and 3 had that are no longer available. Like my darn blinn shaders. I can't get them to work anymore! We just need to tell people that old stuff can be repurposed.

Can you tell me more about the dynamics part? I still haven't had any of it work in DS yet... :- )

Sure. Bring the obj into Studio. If you are using Gen 3 or Gen 4 you have to convert them to Weight mapping. For Genesis this is not necessary. Select the obj and using the Transfer Utility transfer the bones to the object. The object will now pose the same as your model. I think, but have not tried, to transfer morphs into the newly rigged obj but once you have it rigged you should be able to add the morphs. I think if you want to save it for another time you would save it as a figure/prop asset. Below is StudioArtVartanian's Lucians Poser Dynamic shirt on M4. If you want more folds on the shirt you would have to introduce d-formers. If you have more questions then I would suggest going over to the marvelous design forum. That is where I discovered this trick.

When you say "convert them to weight mapping...you mean the .obj or the Gen 3 or 4 characters? Also, where are the bones located to transfer over to the .obj file?

Dynamic clothing are just static props. The rigging makes them kinda like a "fit to" thing, they move with the character's poses. I would think that rigging them with the bones would constitute saving the new object as a .cr2 conforming figure file.

• jeeperzjeeperz Posts: 1,102
    edited December 1969

last day of the month.... Good luck everyone who entered...
    and the hags this year.... ARGHHHHHHH....... real haggy

edited June 2013

OMG!....Talk about coincidences, "woke up this morning" (blues song slur) and went outside and there was cow poop all in my car port. It seems one of the farmers cows escaped last night and wandered up into my car port, found the big bag of dried dog food I keep up in there, ripped the bag up and ate all the dog food (about thirty pounds of it!) and left me three huge piles of splattered poop on the concrete floor, then left. That darn cow has no manners! He could have at least left me a tip! Cow chips I can't use...lol. Thank God for hoses and running water. It was massive! I guess that's what I get for making fun of cows....hehehe.

Dairy-cows-pict-1.jpg
    664 x 500 - 124K
    edited December 1969

music2u4u said:
    Dollygirl said:
    Dollygirl said:

When you say "convert them to weight mapping...you mean the .obj or the Gen 3 or 4 characters? Also, where are the bones located to transfer over to the .obj file?

Dynamic clothing are just static props. The rigging makes them kinda like a "fit to" thing, they move with the character's poses. I would think that rigging them with the bones would constitute saving the new object as a .cr2 conforming figure file.

Important note: This only works in DAZ Studio 4x. You convert the Gen 3 or 4 figure to weight mapping. Select the Gen 3 or 4 figure in the scene.Then go to the upper right top of the scene tab where the little arrow with the four lines are. Click on the that button go to Edit -> Convert Figure to Weight Mapping. Select TriAx Weight Mapping. Click on the Accept button. Select the Poser dynamic object, go to the same little arrow with the four lines button. Click on the button go to Assets -> Transfer Utility. The source is the Gen 3 or 4 figure the target is the Poser dynamic object. Click on accept. You have just transferred a copy of the Gen 3 or 4 figures' bones to the object. The Poser object is now a figure.

I would think that rigging them with the bones would constitute saving the new object as a .cr2 conforming figure file.

Yes, but in Studio 4, DAZ has decided to call it a figure/prop asset and you save it as a duf file. I just checked out the saving out as an asset and it works. You don't need to weight map the Gen 3 or 4 figure when you want to use the new figure on Gen 3 or 4. Now all we need is to figure out how to transfer the Gen 3 or 4 figure morphs to the Poser Dynamic obj, then you would really be in business.

Like I said earlier, DAZ gave us a wondrous gift when they made free DAZ Studio 4 Pro. There are so many things that we can now do to our freebies that there are no longer any "old models". With Studio we can repurpose them, update them, tear them apart and put them back together. The sky and your imagination are the limits and to bring the conversation back to the original thought, you just have to work at this a little more than clicking on an object, dropping it into the scene, posing it and thinking you are done. I also think that we each should sign our entries. It shows that you are proud of what you did and you are willing to the tell the world that is what you think.

edited December 1969

jeeperz said:

Well, since the gallery has not been updated for a week, and most of the renders, that are there, are just empty boxes with an "x" in it, I guess I will have to go back through the entire thread to select finalists for the winners. This will take some time as I want to see their links too.

are there any judges for this month? If so, please pm me asap.

• jeeperzjeeperz Posts: 1,102
    edited December 1969

oops... Kendall must have been busy in RL. I don't think we had judges again this month music.
    And cowabunga on the cow poop, they really do make a mess when they let go with it.

edited June 2013

Dollygirl said:
    Important note: This only works in DAZ Studio 4x. You convert the Gen 3 or 4 figure to weight mapping. Select the Gen 3 or 4 figure in the scene.Then go to the upper right top of the scene tab where the little arrow with the four lines are. Click on the that button go to Edit -> Convert Figure to Weight Mapping. Select TriAx Weight Mapping. Click on the Accept button. Select the Poser dynamic object, go to the same little arrow with the four lines button. Click on the button go to Assets -> Transfer Utility. The source is the Gen 3 or 4 figure the target is the Poser dynamic object. Click on accept. You have just transferred a copy of the Gen 3 or 4 figures' bones to the object. The Poser object is now a figure.

music2u4u said:
    I would think that rigging them with the bones would constitute saving the new object as a .cr2 conforming figure file.

Yes, but in Studio 4, DAZ has decided to call it a figure/prop asset and you save it as a duf file. I just checked out the saving out as an asset and it works. You don't need to weight map the Gen 3 or 4 figure when you want to use the new figure on Gen 3 or 4. Now all we need is to figure out how to transfer the Gen 3 or 4 figure morphs to the Poser Dynamic obj, then you would really be in business.

Like I said earlier, DAZ gave us a wondrous gift when they made free DAZ Studio 4 Pro. There are so many things that we can now do to our freebies that there are no longer any "old models". With Studio we can repurpose them, update them, tear them apart and put them back together. The sky and your imagination are the limits and to bring the conversation back to the original thought, you just have to work at this a little more than clicking on an object, dropping it into the scene, posing it and thinking you are done. I also think that we each should sign our entries. It shows that you are proud of what you did and you are willing to the tell the world that is what you think.

Thanks for the info DG. I have copied it to a notepad doc for future use. I have lots of dynamic cloth I would love to convert. This is priceless help. You go girl!

Yes, Daz has it's moments of kindness to this community, most are overlooked and/or just expected. The team spends many hours discussing what folks in here could use or need. They have given of themselves for many years. I know because I have been here since the first build back in the dinosaure days...lol. Richard Haselting was my Godsend when I was "green". He helped me personally soooo much. Just a straight up really super guy. Our MOD Cho has blisters on her fingers from so much typing, just to help folks with questions and try to keep the peace amoung us all. She is an angel and I am proud to call her a friend. Some give more, some give less and some just give all...she is one of those who gives all, and she is STILL the Queen of textures in my book...always will be.

Now, get your butt ready cause you are hosting next month. I will make something to give so put me down as a donator.

I would also like to apply as one of your judges if you don't mind.

edited June 2013

Yes sir, right away sir. Is this fast enough for you sir? I do believe our Music is back!

Ok I have started the July Freebie Contest thread:

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/24859/

Below is the banner image. I tried making it work on my sig but no such joy for me. Okay so it made me a liar. So there you go I do have a sig!

I will up date my first post with the good news, prizes and a judge. I now have peace of mind. I am no longer alone in this cold cruel world. (Ha!)

Oh and you are most welcome Music. Yes there are lots of Poser dynamics out there that have suddenly become ours.

So on to more fun! See ya next month. Good luck everybody!

SummerGardens.jpg
    480 x 80 - 47K
    Post edited by DollyGirl on
    edited June 2013

Don't know if I posted this earlier, but here is a quick render of the prize I made to be given to all the winners this month. I will also be covering the $10.00 GC that was offered to the first place winner this month from BWSman, in honor of his passing. I think he would have been proud of all of you who entered this month. When I pulled out for a long needed break from this challenge to get my head back on straight, after a hospitalized illness I had, He graciously stepped up to the plate and took charge of this challenge, without my asking him if he would. Tha's the kind of guy he was, just always there to catch us when we fell. I will miss him forever. He never even bothered me with any complaints or questions about running this beast, he just did it. He understood I needed some time off. Now, THAT'S a friend.

Oh Gawd...I just start to cry everytime I think of his passing. What a superman!

Here is the Pavilion Bar. I left it empty so you could use your own stuff in it.

PavilionBar4.jpg
    1280 x 1024 - 707K
    PavilionBar2.jpg
    1280 x 1024 - 730K
    PavilionBar1.jpg
    1280 x 1024 - 925K
    edited December 1969

Dollygirl said:
    Yes sir, right away sir. Is this fast enough for you sir? I do believe our Music is back!

Below is the banner image. I tried making it work on my sig but no such joy for me. Okay so it made me a liar. So there you go I do have a sig!

I will up date my first post with the good news, prizes and a judge. I now have peace of mind. I am no longer alone in this cold cruel world. (Ha!)

Oh and you are most welcome Music. Yes there are lots of Poser dynamics out there that have suddenly become ours.

Will you marry me DG?....hehehe.

edited December 1969

music2u4u said:
    Dollygirl said:

I am afraid not Music. Already taken, you see. I just got him broken in too (22 years in the making)

edited December 1969

Dollygirl said:
    music2u4u said:
    Dollygirl said:

I am afraid not Music. Already taken, you see. I just got him broken in too (22 years in the making)

LMAO...OK,OK....I don't think my wife of 36 years would be thrilled with me re-marrying without consulting her first anyway...lol.

edited June 2013

COME ON NOW YOU "PROCRASTINATING RENDERING ENTRIENTS"....TIMES RUNNING OUT!

(is there such a thing?)

• Kendall SearsKendall Sears Posts: 2,995
    edited December 1969

music2u4u said:
    jeeperz said:

Well, since the gallery has not been updated for a week, and most of the renders, that are there, are just empty boxes with an "x" in it, I guess I will have to go back through the entire thread to select finalists for the winners. This will take some time as I want to see their links too.

are there any judges for this month? If so, please pm me asap.

The ISP that houses the gallery server was hit with a flash flood this last week and is having problems with the utility lines in the area while the city tries to cope with the issues. If you are getting the X's then just refresh and they should update.

Kendall

edited December 1969

music2u4u said:
    OMG!....Talk about coincidences, "woke up this morning" (blues song slur) and went outside and there was cow poop all in my car port. It seems one of the farmers cows escaped last night and wandered up into my car port, found the big bag of dried dog food I keep up in there, ripped the bag up and ate all the dog food (about thirty pounds of it!) and left me three huge piles of splattered poop on the concrete floor, then left. That darn cow has no manners! He could have at least left me a tip! Cow chips I can't use...lol. Thank God for hoses and running water. It was massive! I guess that's what I get for making fun of cows....hehehe.

Notice:
    Slinging chocolate cream pies or banana cream pies is allowed!
    Slinging cow pies is not allowed!

:D

Dana

edited December 1969

music2u4u said:
    Dollygirl said:

music2u4u said:

Thanks for the info DG. I have copied it to a notepad doc for future use. I have lots of dynamic cloth I would love to convert. This is priceless help. You go girl!

It still won't be dynamic, though, and you may be disappointed with the way it looks as a conforming item. Some dynamic items just don't flow well as a conforming object. You'd have to add morphs and/or movement bones to get it to flow at least similarly.

Dana

• robkelkrobkelk Posts: 3,259
    edited December 1969

music2u4u said:
    jeeperz said:

Entries are in posts 10, 60, 63, 75, 78, 86, 98, 126, 152, 189, 197, 200, 203, 205 (this one only has 9 items listed), 246, 264, 279, and 301.

edited December 1969

DanaTA said:
    music2u4u said:
    Dollygirl said:

music2u4u said:

It still won't be dynamic, though, and you may be disappointed with the way it looks as a conforming item. Some dynamic items just don't flow well as a conforming object. You'd have to add morphs and/or movement bones to get it to flow at least similarly.

Dana

Yep that is true. But sometimes you get lucky. Like the shirt I demonstrated on. Shirts are pretty easy to do this with. The nice thing about this is that Studio offers more tools to help you make the object conform and do what you want. Just have to do some more digging on what the tools can do. The keys are in our hands it is up to us to unlock the possibilities.

• agsears_f6a68cb825agsears_f6a68cb825 Posts: 169
    edited December 1969

About the the ruckus of the restriction of freebie sites...

Going by how some of you talk, it sounds some of you want to turn this into an elitist club: it sounds like you don't care whether new people join or not.

People talk about having fun, but every time newbies try to have fun, they get wailed on because they don't know all the "rules," and when they ask for them to be explained, they're accused of trying to change them!

Not. Cool.

And definitely not fun.

Alexa

• agsears_f6a68cb825agsears_f6a68cb825 Posts: 169
    edited December 1969

Gallery is updated.

• robkelkrobkelk Posts: 3,259
    edited December 1969

About the the ruckus of the restriction of freebie sites...

Going by how some of you talk, it sounds some of you want to turn this into an elitist club: it sounds like you don't care whether new people join or not.

People talk about having fun, but every time newbies try to have fun, they get wailed on because they don't know all the "rules," and when they ask for them to be explained, they're accused of trying to change them!

Not. Cool.

And definitely not fun.

Alexa

I suspect a lot of that is because some folks aren't used to explaining things over and over... BWSman was good at it. You and your father are both good at it. I'd like to think I'm good at it. chohole is good at it when she isn't busy with forum-mod duties.

Perhaps folks might want to look at how rules have been explained in the past, and see what descriptions made sense and what descriptions got them upset ...?

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

At the moment Chohole is sighing and saying "Oh not not again"

Was a time when the Freepository was my fave forum after the Bryce one. and the freebie challenge was my fave read.