June Freebie Challenge - Summer Fun & Pin-Ups

Comments

• music2u4umusic2u4u Posts: 2,822
    edited June 2013

I agree with Krissy. Leave well enough alone.

Well it is not being left alone, but going the "other" way gradually. So if it is going to go with changes, why not have it go in a more creative way. Anyone can be lazy just to try to get a prize. This ain't a box of Cracker Jacks ya know...lol. Besides...what is there to be afraid of to the point of not messing with it? Stimulation is growth...like grass that is mowed. Leave it alone and it will just get overcome with weeds, get shaggy and die. Keep it mowed and see how beautiful it can be. New growth is a good thing.

:-)

Post edited by music2u4u on
    edited December 1969

jeeperz said:
    that's true Kendall, but if people use mostly ShareCG and Rendo then they really haven't made much an effort in finding free items have they.

While it may be true that the "effort" wasn't there, are we looking to expand the participation or restrict it even further? New people are already reticent to join the challenge due to the effort finding the links causes. Adding further difficulty will not encourage more participation.

Maybe a published "point system" needs to be instituted for each criteria. Certain number of points are allocated for following the theme, number of unique freebie sources, lighting, etc. Have the judges deduct points (make it standardized) for each deficiency.

Kendall

Though this sounds a bit more complicated, I definitely think this idea has great merit. I agree with everyone that it is getting tougher and tougher to find freebies from independent sites. I see a trend of more content creators uploading their freebies at ShareCG for obvious reasons stated above. I would hate to see less participation because of restrictions on numbers of items from a particular site even though they may be from different creators. But I also agree that since this is a freebie hunting challenge of sorts, those gifted freebie hunters out there who make the extra effort to search for those gems buried in the far corners of the internet should also be given credit for their work. Perhaps this can be implemented in the rules for the next months contest. It would be unfair to those who have already submitted this month to have the rules changed in the middle (ok... almost the end) of the game.

- Sky :- )

I agree, and it's the ones who hunt them down that usually win here. Like Jeeperz said...THAT is the challenge. I don't really think it is that much harder to find them. We have Google now, we didn't back then. We had other community sites back then (like 3d Commune and Poser Club both now history) that we don't have now, but I have found lots of new Japanese and independant sites out there, and many of the old sites are still around with the same freebies still there to be gotten. One door closes, another opens. Also now we have the ability to convert formats, which we allow, as long as folks can get the converter also for free. That used to not be. The freebies are out there...You just gotta search for them.

One thing, though Robkelk had a good idea, I do not want to put any more limits or restrictions on the entries. That will not change. Use what you want, but just be mindful of what you use, how you use it and from where. It does have a bearing on how your entry will be judged.

edited December 1969

I just had a cool idea from all this...In October, with the Monster Mash Halloween Bash, I am going to have a mini contest where you have to use a minimum of 6 freebies (you could use more if you like), NONE FROM COMMUNITY SITES! No SCG or Rendo allowed. No paid fors either other than maybe the base characters used. That could be very interesting. I would love to see the outcome. No theme, just go out and find some rare free stuff and see what becomes of it. Sweet and simple.

I can just imagine what Dorsey would come up with...OR dat real man LG. It could be a lot of wierd renders and fun. We will see.

• Lord GanthorLord Ganthor Posts: 592
    edited December 1969

It looks like I'm getting into the "ruckus" a little late. Leave it to me to sleep through everything around here...As a long time participant in the Challenge Forum (since 2009, if memory serves...probably not...) I can see all of the different points of view from everybody. Unfortunately, I don't have a quick and simple answer. I guess what I'm wondering about, is the point of the Challenge to show off cool freebies you've found or to meet the challenge of fitting the theme of the month using freebies? My problem is that I'm a slave to my ideas. Somebody presents a theme and it's up to me to bring that theme to life using whatever I have at my disposal or what I can find. I can't tell you the hundreds of ideas I've had to discard because I couldn't find something, a prop, a morph or a texture that is central to the idea. Or maybe I can, and it's the only one of it's kind and I can't use it because using it would put me over my limit. So, I have to discard that idea and settle for a lesser one. Since I use Bryce as a final render engine I can import any number of files from different formats that Poser and Studio can't (Studio seems to have more restrictions in that regard). I can use a easily available conversion program for some things, but that often opens up a whole 'nuther can of worms. Dose that put me at an "advantage" over other people? I dunno...

Maybe I'm looking at this from the wrong angle. Maybe I shouldn't be so concerned about trying to tell a story with my renders, or to make people think...or laugh. Like I said, I don't have any answers....wish I did. I don't even have a good cow joke...

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Cow jokes hmmmm

There was a herd of cattle all standing on a hill when an earthquake struck. All of the cows fell down, but the bull remained standing. The farmer noticing this went out and asked the bull, "Why didn't you fall down like the rest of the herd. The bull replied, "We bulls wobble, but we don't fall down."

• Sky77Sky77 Posts: 820
    edited December 1969

...Since I use Bryce as a final render engine I can import any number of files from different formats that Poser and Studio can't (Studio seems to have more restrictions in that regard). I can use a easily available conversion program for some things, but that often opens up a whole 'nuther can of worms. Dose that put me at an "advantage" over other people? I dunno...

Hey LG
    I know it's been a while, but if I recall correctly it had always been your talent that put you at an advantage over us all... ; )

edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Cow jokes hmmmm

There was a herd of cattle all standing on a hill when an earthquake struck. All of the cows fell down, but the bull remained standing. The farmer noticing this went out and asked the bull, "Why didn't you fall down like the rest of the herd. The bull replied, "We bulls wobble, but we don't fall down."

Oy! Where's that rolling eyes smiley when you need it!
    I wonder though how many folks out there even know the toys you are referring to? LOL

edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Cow jokes hmmmm

I wonder though how many folks out there even know the toys you are referring to? LOL

Duh! you mean they don't make them any more? That's terrible.

• ZamuelNowZamuelNow Posts: 753
    edited December 1969

In my eyes, I see the main issue as using multiples from the same vendor and perhaps using your own freebies. There's a lot of things that seem to be only posted on the big two sites, especially if you use Genesis. I feel a lot of the challenge should be...the challenge. The actual theme of the month should have something interesting and unique about it, save for some of the recurring annuals like June and October have. I had to scrap an entry this month since the freebie didn't work and the image would have been different than stuff here. While it happens, there's the vibe of being judged off the ability to use site search engines (some of which are useless at best) as opposed to making a quality image within a theme without a ton of paid items.

• SiscaSisca Posts: 875
    edited December 1969

I just went through every site listed in the freebie website sticky at the top of this forum. Many of them are bookmarked to go back to later but a quick overview of my impressions.

1 of the links is incorrect, it has an extra - tacked on to the end of the URL but otherwise it works (http://www.sparkyworld.co.uk/3down.htm- should be http://www.sparkyworld.co.uk/3down.htm)

5 others are dead with a variety of errors.

Quite a few appear to be Japanese sites so impossible to read and seemed to be aimed at Anime/Manga styles.

I would say a majority say they are providing Poser models. While most of these will work in DS it might be a bit off putting for a newbie to have to figure out what will and won't work. Also, a lot of this stuff is really old, I'm talking a lot of A3/V3/M3 stuff out there and props and such for Poser 4. Again, a new user might think that this stuff won't work with their shiney new DS.

When I went to download a couple of items I was actually sent to ShareCG or Rendo for the file. I figure if I end up there I might as well list that in the first place.

Overall I think the biggest problem with limiting the number of items you can get from a specific site is that you're going to be forcing people to use older content. Most of the newer content ends up on ShareCG or Rendo anyway because they've made it so much easier for the artists to put their work there and have it be found. Requiring them to use from at least 4 different sites seems much more workable as that means the majority of their content can come from the big warehouses but they do at least have to branch out a bit.

I'm also strongly in favor of rewarding those who at least try and stick to the theme. That's the biggest and most interesting part of the challenge for me, coming up with an idea that fits the theme and finding the free bits to execute that idea.

edited December 1969

With the freebie website list at the top of the forum, that was just copied over from the old forum as it was.

If anyone ever wants to go through it and let us know which links are dead or incorrect, then I can edit it.

I just never find enough time amongst all else I am doing to do it myself.

The list of lists are usually more useful, and kept mostly up to date by the people running them, although there again there are a couple or 3 of them that are the old lists from the old forum.

• jeeperzjeeperz Posts: 1,102
    edited December 1969

there was a young cow from Nantucket, who couldn't say..... never mind this a family forum.....

• jeeperzjeeperz Posts: 1,102
    edited December 1969

WELL SAID music , WELL SAID

music2u4u said:
    Good to see everyone discussing a challenge issue, that helps us grow and get to know each others thoughts about the contest. Robkelk indeed has a great idea about the use of at least four sites in an entry. Jeeperz is right about not "cowing", there's that word again...mooooo!...to the newbies. The idea is for them to come into this challenge and learn the ways, not have us learn their ways. Kinda like a kid who runs his entire family and parents...not good or healthy for any of us. Kendall is right about not making it harder, but it has gotten so easy now compaired to how it used to be, that even harder is still way much easier. Even a painter artist has to go through tons of mistakes, paints, moods, experiences, etc. to get that one famous painting. Like maybe painting a chapel ceiling lying on your back for years!!! If he had taken the easy route, the painting would have just been another painting. The painstaking work is what makes the painting real art. We do not expect the entries to be Mona Lisa, just an entry that shows creativity with the limits of only using free stuff...ah, but somewhere along the line, someone talked us into letting folks use bought items, so there goes the creativity with only free items out the window.

I did not mean to stir up a hornet's nest, only to keep everyone focused on what this contest is really all about. There will always be a render better than yours, and always be a render not as good as yours, so why compete on THAT level. Why not be creative with lights, shadows, freebies, and have lots of fun doing it? That is what we are about here. I took a month off from the challenge after being up in here almost every day for 5 years. In that month of total withdrawal from here, I had a chance to think about what it really is all about. After peeking in a few times, I saw ShareCG and Rendo on every entry...tons of it....and some were even stealing links from entries posted before them so they wouldn't have to go look for stuff, just copy one from another entry...that is really sad! That made me think of just how uncreative the challenge has become. Yes, the renders we had back then may not have had all the instant morphs to go, and all the special one click shaders and lighting, but we had one thing that has gotten lost here...how proud we were of the characters we created with dials, and the manual light placement and settings we created, even the textures we made ourselves and gave to each other. All the entries were special in their own way.

I want to make it clear that we, by no means, are saying you can't get your freebies from SCG or Rendo, but just to try to expand your hunt to other interesting sites. I have found some really cool things on third party sites that were NOT on big community sites like SGC and Rendo. Just the opposite of what Kendall said, and I was able to share the links here for others to enjoy. THAT is part of the fun. They have this thing called "bookmarking" a site for future use if needed too. What if Magellon had just agreed that the world was flat and did not sail around it to prove it was not, and what if Columbus had not took off to look for India only to discover America? What would the world have been like then? Where would America be then? THAT IS THE CHALLENGE JEEPERZ IS TALKING ABOUT!

Ok...just keep it in mind when you "create" your entries. The judges will be considering it all when they pick their winning choices. Wanna be a winner...then you will have to work for it. Wanna not be a winner....then paint by number if you like.

• SiscaSisca Posts: 875
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    With the freebie website list at the top of the forum, that was just copied over from the old forum as it was.

If anyone ever wants to go through it and let us know which links are dead or incorrect, then I can edit it.

The list of lists are usually more useful, and kept mostly up to date by the people running them, although there again there are a couple or 3 of them that are the old lists from the old forum.

I made a list, do you want me to send it to you in a PM or just post it here?

I kind of figured that no one really has the time to go through these lists weekly and keep them up to date. I just wanted to get the sites into my bookmarks so I could organize them to suit me when I'm looking for stuff so ended up going to every link.

edited December 1969

Sisca said:
    chohole said:

I made a list, do you want me to send it to you in a PM or just post it here?

I kind of figured that no one really has the time to go through these lists weekly and keep them up to date. I just wanted to get the sites into my bookmarks so I could organize them to suit me when I'm looking for stuff so ended up going to every link.

Send me a PM please.

edited December 1969

chohole said:
    chohole said:
    Cow jokes hmmmm

Duh! you mean they don't make them any more? That's terrible.

It's been years since I've seen one. Surprising though, considering their safety, durability and playability, I would have thought they would still be on the top of the list for younger kids.

• robkelkrobkelk Posts: 3,259
    edited December 1969

Sisca said:
    I would say a majority say they are providing Poser models. While most of these will work in DS it might be a bit off putting for a newbie to have to figure out what will and won't work. Also, a lot of this stuff is really old, I'm talking a lot of A3/V3/M3 stuff out there and props and such for Poser 4. Again, a new user might think that this stuff won't work with their shiney new DS.

That's one reason why I do the lists for older content, actually.

Just because it's been around for a while doesn't mean it's useless - the exact opposite usually applies. Try an older figure, play with how it's different from what you can dial-spin with the current batch of figures, see whether you like it or hate it or just say "meh." New isn't always better; it's just new.

And you can use these goodies in DS 4.6, even if they don't have metadata. Yes, you're going to have to dig a bit into your content... but you have to do that with pretty much everything you get from anyone but DAZ3D.

• DollyGirlDollyGirl Posts: 2,650
    edited December 1969

Yea what Rob says. I have all of the Gen 3 and 4 shapes for Genesis, so an A3 dress can be used on Genesis just as easily. These "older" products are really great and to have a Genesis and DAZ Studio 4 that can take and use this stuff is even greater. Sure you may have to do some work to get the mat files to work but it is free. You can even use some of the Poser dynamic clothing because of the features of Studio. The problem is that unless you hunt for answers to "can I do this?" or come across a discussion you do not know what you can and can not do with Studio. The only thing that I have seen get lost are some of the free unique shaders that Studio 2 and 3 had that are no longer available. Like my darn blinn shaders. I can't get them to work anymore! We just need to tell people that old stuff can be repurposed.

edited December 1969

Dollygirl said:
    Yea what Rob says. I have all of the Gen 3 and 4 shapes for Genesis, so an A3 dress can be used on Genesis just as easily. These "older" products are really great and to have a Genesis and DAZ Studio 4 that can take and use this stuff is even greater. Sure you may have to do some work to get the mat files to work but it is free. You can even use some of the Poser dynamic clothing because of the features of Studio. The problem is that unless you hunt for answers to "can I do this?" or come across a discussion you do not know what you can and can not do with Studio. The only thing that I have seen get lost are some of the free unique shaders that Studio 2 and 3 had that are no longer available. Like my darn blinn shaders. I can't get them to work anymore! We just need to tell people that old stuff can be repurposed.

Can you tell me more about the dynamics part? I still haven't had any of it work in DS yet... :- )

edited June 2013

robkelk said:
    Just because it's been around for a while doesn't mean it's useless - the exact opposite usually applies. Try an older figure, play with how it's different from what you can dial-spin with the current batch of figures, see whether you like it or hate it or just say "meh." New isn't always better; it's just new.

And you can use these goodies in DS 4.6, even if they don't have metadata. Yes, you're going to have to dig a bit into your content... but you have to do that with pretty much everything you get from anyone but DAZ3D.

NAE - not enough freebies; heck, not enough elements period. Besides, I'm making a point, not making art (although I'm trying to stay in this month's theme). Everything in this image predates Genesis, and I assembled and rendered it this afternoon - 12 minutes too long for a one-hour challenge.

Free:

Kururu
    http://render360.seesaa.net/article/41656752.html

Takumy Hair V1.0 (not designed for Kururu, by the way)
    http://lokai2000.deviantart.com/art/Takumy-Hair-V1-0-53871200

Kururu Cloths
    http://render360.seesaa.net/article/47640464.html

Hi Cut Shoes for KURURU
    http://casiopea.jp/download.htm (second from bottom)

Paid:

Danger Pass
    http://www.daz3d.com/nerd3d-danger-pass

No-count:

necklace (don't remember where I got it - the Scene tab says it's "pdcn-Necklace2")

car (don't remember where I got it - the Scene tab says it's "murcielago R_GT_1")

one distant light (created in Daz Studio)

Dress and shoes recoloured in the Surfaces tab.

Kururu_at_Danger_Pass.png
    750 x 600 - 549K
    Post edited by robkelk on
  • DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,098
    edited December 1969

jeeperz said:
    I am getting annoyed with the many in this world having to cow down to the few to make everyone happy.

Here we go slandering cows again.

I hope Socrates doesn't find that remark! :D He's the one always going on about cows, right? Maybe I didn't spell his name right...I haven't seen him in a few weeks, and don't see him often.

Dana

edited December 1969

DanaTA said:
    I hope Socrates doesn't find that remark! :D He's the one always going on about cows, right? Maybe I didn't spell his name right...

Clothing for a foot - Egyptian god - person who tries to make you smile: Sockratease

• DorseylandDorseyland Posts: 724
    edited December 1969

Ah, yes, good ol' smelly Sockratease. Would this be a good time to reopen the debate on Cow-rara, er Carrera?

Unless of course Dana DID mean Socrates, but sorry, Dana, our old pal the Greek philosopher drank hemlock poison after he couldn't find enough freebies to finish his entry.

edited December 1969

Dollygirl said:

Can you tell me more about the dynamics part? I still haven't had any of it work in DS yet... :- )

It wouldn't be dynamic in DS, that's not possible. But some of them are objects, or props, as I understand it and can be used as such. Or maybe it's the hybrid ones that can be used in DS.

Dana

edited December 1969

Ah, yes, good ol' smelly Sockratease. Would this be a good time to reopen the debate on Cow-rara, er Carrera?

Unless of course Dana DID mean Socrates, but sorry, Dana, our old pal the Greek philosopher drank hemlock poison after he couldn't find enough freebies to finish his entry.

That was a terrible, tragic story... and the reason we allow NAE posts now. :-)
    edited December 1969

No, that's the one. Last time I saw him post, he was still waiting for the Millennium Cow. This was maybe a month or two ago.

Dana

• mmalbertmmalbert Posts: 412
    edited December 1969

I'm one of those newbies, and I admit I somehow missed the rule about not using more than three items from the same freebie maker. Oops!

It is difficult to avoid places like Rendo and ShareCG. I've also noticed a lot of freebie providers post freebies on their own sites, but also on Rendo and/or ShareCG. I do this -- I post the occasional freebie to Renderosity simply because it has high visibility.

I did use one item that another person used, but it was coincidence. I had two freebie water bottles, but one I couldn't find the original download site, so I went with the one I could.

Recently I decided to participate in the freebie challenge here because I've downloaded so many freebies, and I feel an obligation to use them, even if only as a way to say "thank you" to those who created all of these little treasures.

I moved all my own freebies to a wordpress.com blog to make updating easier, and one extra thing I'm doing is a weekly favorite freebie spotlight. This is largely self-serving because it means I'm rendering the content instead of hoarding it -- and also making DS mats, since nearly all are Poser items. If I make mats for the weekly freebie spotlight, I post a download link for others to use them too.

This week's freebie spotlight fits in with the challenge theme. This is NAE -- way too many paid items, and postworked like whoa -- but Mike's Tiki Bar is a cool freebie. (The DS mats are here.)

Freebies used: Charcoal Bag; Morphing Sand Prop (retextured); Tropical Breeze Dress V4; Honu Jewelry; Dancing Shoes V4; Basketball; Hoop Earrings; Chain Necklace; Tropical Vacation textures for Bad Guy M4 shirt (Part 1 or Part 2, I don't remember which one); Holiday Lights; Stool Poses V4 (modified), and M4 Naturally Poses (modified.)

thetourists1.jpg
    1520 x 1220 - 1M
    edited December 1969

mmalbert said:
    I'm one of those newbies, and I admit I somehow missed the rule about not using more than three items from the same freebie maker. Oops!

It is difficult to avoid places like Rendo and ShareCG. I've also noticed a lot of freebie providers post freebies on their own sites, but also on Rendo and/or ShareCG. I do this -- I post the occasional freebie to Renderosity simply because it has high visibility.

I did use one item that another person used, but it was coincidence. I had two freebie water bottles, but one I couldn't find the original download site, so I went with the one I could.

Recently I decided to participate in the freebie challenge here because I've downloaded so many freebies, and I feel an obligation to use them, even if only as a way to say "thank you" to those who created all of these little treasures.

I moved all my own freebies to a wordpress.com blog to make updating easier, and one extra thing I'm doing is a weekly favorite freebie spotlight. This is largely self-serving because it means I'm rendering the content instead of hoarding it -- and also making DS mats, since nearly all are Poser items. If I make mats for the weekly freebie spotlight, I post a download link for others to use them too.

This week's freebie spotlight fits in with the challenge theme. This is NAE -- way too many paid items, and postworked like whoa -- but Mike's Tiki Bar is a cool freebie. (The DS mats are here.)

Freebies used: Charcoal Bag; Morphing Sand Prop (retextured); Tropical Breeze Dress V4; Honu Jewelry; Dancing Shoes V4; Basketball; Hoop Earrings; Chain Necklace; Tropical Vacation textures for Bad Guy M4 shirt (Part 1 or Part 2, I don't remember which one); Holiday Lights; Stool Poses V4 (modified), and M4 Naturally Poses (modified.)

I like it...and I have Mike's Tiki bar! I thought it looked to be pretty good quality for a freebie!

Dana

• Lord GanthorLord Ganthor Posts: 592
    edited December 1969

...Since I use Bryce as a final render engine I can import any number of files from different formats that Poser and Studio can't (Studio seems to have more restrictions in that regard). I can use a easily available conversion program for some things, but that often opens up a whole 'nuther can of worms. Dose that put me at an "advantage" over other people? I dunno...

Hey LG
    I know it's been a while, but if I recall correctly it had always been your talent that put you at an advantage over us all... ; )

Skywalker!!! 'S been a long time! We ain't seen you 'round here in a 'coon's age....and racoons ain't known for there long life spans. And in respects to my "talent", it's more experience than anything, I guess. After 30+ years as a jobbing artist I'm only now figuring out how to put a decent scene together that's something somebody might want to look at. The only real advantage is that now I don't get paint all over myself and the floor like I did back in the old times. I do sort of miss the old paper, pencil, pen and ink days of my youth...Alas, age and eyesight have taken their toll...

edited December 1969

LOL... Dorsey, you haven't changed... though your avatar has.