June Freebie Challenge - Summer Fun & Pin-Ups

Comments

• Sky77Sky77 Posts: 820
    edited December 1969

DanaTA said:
    Well after a rather lengthy absence from the freebie contest world (not to mention 3D rendering in general – yeah, that’s real life for ya!), here is my entry:

Title: Care to join me for a dip?

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/index.php?&ACT=50&fid=41&aid=79376_FEmIodfkHHkI0g6CEm5W&thumb=1&board_id=1

Excellent! The realism is strong in this one. ; ) Great pose!

Dana

Lol... But I am not a 3d Jedi yet... ; P

• Takeo.KenseiTakeo.Kensei Posts: 1,303
    edited December 1969

music2u4u said:

Why not enter? You have enough links and it is a real nice render. Your choice though, if you change your mind, I will accept it as an entry.

:-)

It's kind of my way of havng fun. I mostly do the renders to practice different thing with DS or other 3D tools in fact
    Mhhhh let me think 2s. OK let's say that this one enters the challenge then :)

edited July 2013

NAE: Louie and Thoie's Summer Fun

Summer Fun? I dunno 'bout youse guys but you kin bet'chur @#$$ I'm gonna have me sum summer fun! Now dat dey got sum a da beaches rebuilt 'round here I'm gonna spend all summer helpin' t' support 'em! Hey! Meet my new goil! She's gotta funny name an' her English ain't all dat good, but bruther, kin she cook! She kin also beat th' crap outta me at poker, pool 'n' stickball, too...but we ain't gonna git inta dat. Anywooze, it looks like it's shapin' up t' be one helluva summer! Youse guys take 'er easy and have a rip-roarin' summer yourselves! An' have a safe an' happy 4th of July...t' alls of us on dis sideuda pond. Don't know what youse udder foren guys do on the Fourth...but do it safely, 'kay?

...an' a special t'anks t' ZamuelNow fer intraducin' me t' my new goil Ghen...Gne'th...damnit...Thoie. I'll learns how't pronounces it later...

That is absolutely awesome! LOL.
    Love the backdrop... fits perfectly. Please tell me that was NOT rendered. ???

image.jpg
    393 x 500 - 82K
    Post edited by Sky77 on
  • JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited July 2013

music2u4u said:
    Jader said:
    Looks at thread, looks at CC looks back at thread. Credit Card gets big grin on little holographic face. I'm ready here just need some votes now.

LOL...Jader, what is your secret to life...you are just too cool for school dude!

No judges this month I afraid to say, I will have to pick the winners. It will take some time to review all of the entries. I will post them by Tuesday morning at the latest. I have to work all day tomorrow and we don't have internet on my clinic computers. Patient privacy and all.

:-)Hmm... Take your time I'm in no hurry...Tuesday? ZOOM.. not listening...

Is the contest over? You got winners yet? No. Okay then... What about now?

Oh well, Secret to life? I yam what I yam and datz all dat I yam.. I sayz munching on my can of spinach.

Post edited by Jaderail on
  • DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,114
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    music2u4u said:
    Jader said:
    Looks at thread, looks at CC looks back at thread. Credit Card gets big grin on little holographic face. I'm ready here just need some votes now.

LOL...Jader, what is your secret to life...you are just too cool for school dude!

No judges this month I afraid to say, I will have to pick the winners. It will take some time to review all of the entries. I will post them by Tuesday morning at the latest. I have to work all day tomorrow and we don't have internet on my clinic computers. Patient privacy and all.

Hmm... Take your time I'm in no hurry...Tuesday? ZOOM.. not listening...

Is the contest over? You got winners yet? No. Okay then... What about now?

Oh well, Secret to life? I yam what I yam and datz all dat I yam.. I sayz munching on my can of spinach.

Edie Brickell paraphrased that and made a hit out of it...with what group?

Dana

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited July 2013

The New Bohemians Loved it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDl3bdE3YQA

Post edited by Jaderail on
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    The New Bohemians Loved it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDl3bdE3YQA

Correct! I loved it, too. It had a certain something that I just liked right away.

Dana

• Gloomy007Gloomy007 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Want to wish everyone good luck, and thank the hosts for wonderful month.

• Lord GanthorLord Ganthor Posts: 592
    edited December 1969

That is absolutely awesome! LOL. Love the backdrop... fits perfectly. Please tell me that was NOT rendered. ???

Um...yeah! The backdrop is a render! It's got 143 different models and 18 different global light sources with 4 spotlights and 22 fills and...

Okay...no...I just Googled Coney Island Beach and picked the best one....sorry...

BTW, loved your entry! Beautiful piece of work, both in the set-up and execution. Sometimes I wonder if I should give up Bryce and go for these high end render add-ons... naw....I've got too much time invested in Bryce...

edited December 1969

That is absolutely awesome! LOL. Love the backdrop... fits perfectly. Please tell me that was NOT rendered. ???

Um...yeah! The backdrop is a render! It's got 143 different models and 18 different global light sources with 4 spotlights and 22 fills and...

Okay...no...I just Googled Coney Island Beach and picked the best one....sorry...

BTW, loved your entry! Beautiful piece of work, both in the set-up and execution. Sometimes I wonder if I should give up Bryce and go for these high end render add-ons... naw....I've got too much time invested in Bryce...

LOL. Could you imagine rendering something that massive though... I know my laptop would definitely start smoking and sputtering assuming the poor thing doesn't give me the blue screen of death just trying to load up half of everything!. : D

And I agree, you switching away from Bryce would sort of be like Michael Jordan giving up basketball and switching to baseball or something... oh wait, he did that didn't he? : P
    As someone once said / posted / wrote, it's not what tools an artist uses that matter, just how he uses them. ; )

edited December 1969

Good luck to all the entrants!

Dana

• music2u4umusic2u4u Posts: 2,822
    edited July 2013

... WE HAVE WINNERS! ...

OK FOLKS AFTER A LONG REVIEW OF ALL THE ENTRIES, I HAVE SELECTED THE WINNERS.

As always, I have taken into consideration the things needed to be a winning entry in this challenge. All rules followed.

I was up many hours last night and then this morning going through all the entries. I must say, I had to go round and round again and again to finally choose the ones I felt were winners. They were all very nice. So tough to judge them all.

Here is a list of the winners (and the two HMs) that I felt earned the titles. I have listed the Pros and Cons of each render, something I really would like to start doing each month from now on, because it shows that each render was reviewed and not just glanced over. It also can help the artist to grow, though it is just one opinion, it must be honestly given. Any future hosts are encouraged to do this in the end, but it is not required. I care enough to do it, because you are all great artists in my book, and I respect your hard work.

Without further adew....here we go.

The two honorable mentions go to:

1 - LisaDM - View From The Pool.(post #78)

Pros - I really like the uniqueness of this render. A different perspective of things. Quite creative. I also like the depth of field used on the background. She has a nice expression on her face as well.

Cons - She is sitting under a canopy in the shade. There should have been some kind of shadow around the canopy to show sunlight she was blocking. The arms are a bit too out of focus as they are right in front of him. I extended my arms like his and they were not that out of focus.

Good variety of freebie links used.

2 - Krissy - Never Forget To Stretch.(post #60)

Pros - I like this render a lot. The skin tone is perfect. The shadowing is very realistic as if from overhead florescent lights I like the spare props too.

Cons - Though a great pinup, not much on the fun part of the theme. Her hair should have been laid down on the floor above her shoulders. Her expression should have been more of a stressed workout kinda look, maybe eyes looking up to the ceiling in consentration. It's just kinda of a blank dull look.

Good variety of freebie links used.

The third place win goes to:

mmalbert - Family Vacation at the Beach.(post #75)

Pros - Superb theme coverage. Mom and dad are both nice looking, and even baby girl is a cutie. They are definately having some fun, especially dad...lol. Just an overall fun looking render. The colors are fresh and the props smartly used. I love the bandaid.

Cons - Not much on the shadows for a bright sunny beach day. Lighting angles could have been used for the sun direction. Just a very safe lighting used, not very creative. The render seems cropped a bit too tight, maybe leave a little more on the sides to show the water. The cooler seems a bit too small for such a large bottle of water, even one might not fit in it. Baby girl should have had some ice cream drips on her hand and face. too neat for ice cream in the sun.

Incredible variety of freebies used.

The second place win goes to:

Zamuel Now - Practice Serve.(post #63)

Pros - This render has both ends of the theme covered. She is a babe, and she is having fun. I like the way you set this up with her using the wall across the street to bounce the ball back...thus "Practice". Also using the street painted line to serve from behind. The shadowing and lighting is awesome. Very realistic sunlighting. Her pose is very pinup and her smile is wonerful. The ball frozen in the air gives it an action feel along with her bouncing pigtails. Smart colors used here too. An overall very nice render.

Cons - her grip on the tennis racket could have been better. Not sure why the index finger is extended. Being as the shoe laces are movable on Headcase's bossy shoes, the lag that is up should have had the laces facing down. Not sure what that is on the wall behind the racket, but it's cluttering up the racket. Kinda takes away from the render. Maybe some randomly placed trash, posters or debris would have been a bit better. I didn't realize she had on any glasses until I read the links. Maybe should have made them like sunglasses and darkened them more.

Not a very good variety of freebie links here at all! Most all are shareCG.

Reguardless, I still think the render is superb enough to overlook that part.

AND THE FIRST PLACE WIN GOES TO:

Skywalker77 - Care to Join Me for a Dip?(post #401)

Pros - Congratulations Sky on a very nice render. Very realistic looking, Very pinup and theme oriented. She looks like she's going down to the water to have some fun. The water, sand blown around, the sunlighting all look so very real. I love the way you have her carrying her flips too. Nice body and sexy look over the sun glasses. Just a near perfect render.

Cons - not much to critique here. Maybe that her skin is a bit white for a beach babe, but she could be an office girl on first day of vacation. She will be fried red by the end of the day...lol. So, maybe a bottle of sun block or lotion would have been good. Also maybe a beach bag to hold all her stuff. Girls have to have those ya know! I would have had a blown hair effect also. Those wave breaks show there must be a nice strong briney breeze there, so having her hair blown forward would have been better.

Not a very good variety of freebie links but better than some others. This render won on it's own merit of just being a superb theme related entry with great lighting.

OK FOLKS THERE YOU HAVE IT...THE WINNERS AND MY REVIEWS OF THEM.I have to say, it was not easy to choose. Many nice renders, but some just did not reflect the theme, and some way too many links from the same site. No shadows, and not much in lighting or angles of light. However, there were quite a few NAEs this month that were really nice. Some would have made great entries.

Thanks to all who entered, and thaks to all who played the Bag the Hag contest.

ALL WINNERS PLEASE PM ME YOUR EMAIL ADDRESSES YOU USED WHEN YOU REGISTERED WITH DAZ TO RECEIVE YOUR GIFT CARD PRIZES!!!!!!

(...may we all remember our BWSman, and may he rest in peace forever...)

music

NeverForgetToStretch60.jpg
    1200 x 900 - 459K
    ViewFromThePool78.jpg
    1600 x 1200 - 983K
    FamilyVactionAtTheBeach75.jpg
    1500 x 900 - 663K
    PracticeServe63.jpg
    400 x 500 - 69K
    CareToJoinMeForADip401.jpg
    724 x 966 - 245K
    Post edited by music2u4u on
  • jeeperzjeeperz Posts: 1,102
    edited December 1969

congrats everyone on their wins.
    Those were my picks too music. I think we should ALL when we host do what music did with the critique, our founder salashin did it every month she hosted. A good tradition resurrected I say.

edited July 2013

Congratulations and thank you .
    I hve to say I feel like I must defends myself on submitting this peace. I will gladly give the reward to someone else.

I put here something a but to harsh, but of you think the work does not keep to the subject, I feel the reward should't be given to it.

I do not want any hard feelings, just do not want someone to feel wronged. by my work being chosen.

Post edited by Gloomy007 on
  • DollyGirlDollyGirl Posts: 2,650
    edited December 1969

congratulation everyone

edited December 1969

don't be hurt by constructive criticism Krissy. music is one of the best constructive critiques I know. EVERYONE has little flaws in their work, I for one have large flaws most of the time and am glad to hear how to improve it. Heck, one month (and I won that month) most were so off base by the theme that I ended up winning because I was the closest to what the host had in mind for the month. And I was still critiqued by my lack of depth and use of bump maps among other things.

edited December 1969

I am not hurt :) not at all. I feel honored, because I do know it is hard to pick the winner.
    But I am afraid that it mnight make a stir, after all this talk about sticking to the theme ;) I can take the critics, and look trought the eyes of the other one, but do not want to make stir :) after all we do that for fun not for prizes :D:D:D and this is my view on the matter :D

• Takeo.KenseiTakeo.Kensei Posts: 1,303
    edited December 1969

Congrats to all winners :)

• mmalbertmmalbert Posts: 412
    edited July 2013

Congrats to the winners!

Thank you for selecting one of my entries, and on my first participation too. I had fun with this render, and I'm happy if the "fun" came across. (I think Dad is trying to lure his two girls into the water and Mom is looking way too comfy to agree.)

Lighting is the bane of my digital intentions. That was indeed very safe lighting...it's what I always use on my test renders, tbh.

Any suggestions for adding drips to the ice cream cone? I agree and wanted to do so -- adding drips in postwork isn't allowed -- but I couldn't find any freebie drips.

I'm sure there are some, just that I couldn't find them. At the time I decided to enter the contest, I was wanting to use water guns. I couldn't find any of those, either, and none of the free guns I had could make the transition into a believable toy. Now, In the last couple days, a couple water guns have shown up in my freebie sweeps.

Ah, well. Now they'll be around for the next time I might need them.

Post edited by mmalbert on
    edited December 1969

music2u4u said:
    ... Maybe that her skin is a bit white for a beach babe, but she could be an office girl on first day of vacation. She will be fried red by the end of the day...lol.

LOL! Now that you mention it, she does look like that doesn't she... hmmm gives me some ideas for future renders! : )

Thank you for the incredible honor. And thanks for the constructive ideas. I really appreciate the comments... it's the best way to get better! (and you just gave me more ideas for next year's Pinup contest... )

Congratulations to everyone who won. Terrific renders by everyone! I love everyone's unique point of view and interpretation of the theme this month. May creativity continue to run rampant in the contests to come! : )

• robkelkrobkelk Posts: 3,259
    edited December 1969

Congratulations to all the winners, and I'll see you in July's thread!

• LimneryLimnery Posts: 126
    edited December 1969

Congrats to all!

edited December 1969

Congratulations to the winners!

Dana

• DorseylandDorseyland Posts: 724
    edited December 1969

Pissed off now cause I didn't win anything.

Oh, wait -- I didn't enter!

Okay, never mind, then.

MUSIC, I like the critiquing too. You put a lot of thought into that and it should be a regular duty of the host. (Just glad I wasn't on the receiving end!)

KRISSY, that was a great entry and fully deserving. Hit the theme fine as far as I can tell.

SKYWALKER, stop showing off.

Congratulations, everybody!

edited December 1969

Krissy said:
    Congratulations and thank you .
    I hve to say I feel like I must defends myself on submitting this peace. I will gladly give the reward to someone else.

I put here something a but to harsh, but of you think the work does not keep to the subject, I feel the reward should't be given to it.

I do not want any hard feelings, just do not want someone to feel wronged. by my work being chosen.

Do not misunderstand. I chose you above many others because I liked your work. The theme was "summer fun AND pinups". You did cover the pinups very well, but the Summer fun is at question. You can workout in a gym year round. This does not mean your render was not good, it was. I believe it deserved an honorable mention. There is something to be said for that dear. Please do not get offended.

"If it don't kill ya, it just makes you stronger!"...Bruce willis

edited December 1969

Krissy said:
    I am not hurt :) not at all. I feel honored, because I do know it is hard to pick the winner.
    But I am afraid that it mnight make a stir, after all this talk about sticking to the theme ;) I can take the critics, and look trought the eyes of the other one, but do not want to make stir :) after all we do that for fun not for prizes :D:D:D and this is my view on the matter :D

I am sorry, but old' music can be a hard arse sometimes. It is "constructive critisism", and it is needed to grow. It make us all better at this thing. I am not trying to run anyone away, heck, I like it when I am critisized...old Dorsey has that covered for me...hehehe. I do not wear my heart on my sleve, and I too have much room for improvement. I have a very open mind with rendering. I'll try anything once, twice if I like the outcome. I just can't justify "pampering" in a challenge. Too many ooooos and ahhhhhs.

Old Jamminwolfie was a stickler for perfection, and he spared no one...and he was probably the best judge we ever had up in here. He would pound that gavel so hard, that he started a Gavel War that stretched throughout four forums here!!!! GUILTY! he would scream, then pound that gavel. I was so impressed with his honesty that I made him a Golden Gavel award and presented it to him. Gawd did we have some real fun in those days! We had gavel launchers being made, gavel jokes being told, I made a trailer for all the gavels to be carried in...lol. It was just tooo much fun.

edited December 1969

Jammin Wolfe was tough alright, heck I got disqualified for having my links too long one month, I do believe it was around the time of the "gavel wars" too. May have started it too.
    Dang... Always getting into trouble I do.

• SiscaSisca Posts: 875
    edited December 1969

Congrats to all the winners and I'll see you all in the July thread.

edited December 1969

jeeperz said:
    Jammin Wolfe was tough alright, heck I got disqualified for having my links too long one month, I do believe it was around the time of the "gavel wars" too. May have started it too.
    Dang... Always getting into trouble I do.

Awwww...you are a very much loved ETO here Jeeperz. Wouldn't be the same without you sweetie!

edited December 1969

Sisca said:
    Congrats to all the winners and I'll see you all in the July thread.

Sisca....your render was awesome, I was torn between yours and mmalberts for third prize. Maybe next month you can rule above all! Thanks for entering my friend.