What features would you like to see appear in dazstudio 5?

Comments

• nicstt said:
    Petercat said:

It is kind of strange to see how many times someone has asked for a feature to be added to 5.0,
    only to have Richard come back with "It's already in Studio. Look here..."

A written manual would help. DAZ? You listening?

It's something that would be worth paying for, especially if pdf and physical copy variants.

This has been in the "Features for the Next Version" threads at LEAST since we were waiting on DS2.  I'm serious:  this, dynamic cloth, and dynamic fiber hair, since Poser had all three...

cool

• Ghosty12Ghosty12 Posts: 1,982

Though an old thread what would be nice is something that I discovered in Poser Pro 11 (only just got it) and that is built in morphing terrain with skydome system. Would be cool to see in Studio 5..

• I would like everything to show up in Content Manager regardless of whether it has metadata or not. I have any number of products that I have to search for in the product library which for me, anyway simply isn't an efficient workflow. I tend to rely on Content Manager quite a lot. If nothing else, a placeholder reference to the product in Content Manager reminding the user that the product must be accessed through Product Manager would be most welcome. 

• I can only confirm this, that such videos and manual are "very very hard needed"!

Concur!!!

• HaslorHaslor Posts: 406
    edited December 2016
    I would like everything to show up in Content Manager regardless of whether it has metadata or not. I have any number of products that I have to search for in the product library which for me, anyway simply isn't an efficient workflow. I tend to rely on Content Manager quite a lot. If nothing else, a placeholder reference to the product in Content Manager reminding the user that the product must be accessed through Product Manager would be most welcome. 

Most of, if not all, Daz 3D Content does show up in the Content Manager Products, even if it doesn't show up in the Smart Content, due to the new delivery system of the DIM or Daz Connects. What it doesn't do, without having complete Metadata, is appear in Smart Content.

In order for Smart Content to be "Smart"; Associations between the Assets (Geometries, Materials, Poses, Ect.) have to be created by hand, and there is no way around that. There are choices that need to be made, which cannot be selected automatically. That having been said, it is done Automatically when saving a new assets (If the Artist fills out all the boxes and created a Root Compatibility Base, in the Compatibility Base). Then those Assets must be Typed and Categorized, per the selections the Artist makes at the time. 

Products from other stores have to be added to the Content Manager and if you want Smart Content to work, they need to be Types and Categorized, as well as having the Associations between the the Products various parts. The Asset Type tells Daz Studio what the Asset is, Categories assists the user in finding the Asset. This is why you can only pick preset Types; while you can add a non-standard Category, but it is not recommended

Note: if you have not moved the files from where the Artist placed them, then you should be able do this without unloading the files from your Existing Content Library.

Before we can start we have to do a little setup first:

1. Create a new Content Directory called NewProduct, on the same drive as the Content Directory where the files will reside or reside now.
    2. Add it to the Top of you Directory Tree in both Daz Studio Format and Poser Format. (You can do this in the Content Directory Manager)

Now you can add a product to the Content Manager in under two minutes.

Building the Content Manager Product:

1. Unzip your New Product into NewProduct Directory. 
      • Note: Do one Product at a time and make sure to unzip all of the files for that product before moving on to the next step.
    2. Under Daz Studio Formats, select the NewProduct Directory, Right Click and pick ‘Create Product from…’ in the box Paste the name of the Product as in appears on the Product’s Stores Page, and click OK. 
      • NOTE: If you get "Product alreadyExists. Would you like to add these files to it?” Click Cancel and make sure that you don’t already have this product in the Content Manager or that it is not a Product by the Same Name from a different Store. If that happens Add the Artist or Store to the Front of the Name. So ‘My DogHouse’ because ‘Haslor My DogHouse’ 
    3. Under Poser Formats, Select the NewProduct Directory, then Right Click and pick ‘Create Product from…’ in the box Paste the name of the Product you used in Step Two. This time it is going to say "Product alreadyExists. Would you like to add these files to it?” click Yes.

You have now crated a Product in the Product section, but there is more to do, because you don’t want to do this again if you need to reload your system.

Creating the XML Files:

1. In the Products section of the Content Library, find the product.
    2. Right Click on the Content Library Tab, select ‘Content DB Editor’
    3. Click the Export Button in the Lower left hand corner of the Content DB Editor. And agree to writing the files.
    4. In the the Center of the Dialogue box there is a pane called Files.
    5. Right click and select ‘Add From Directory (Recursive)’
    6. Navigate to the NewProduct Directory and click on ‘Select Folder’
    7. This will List all the Files in the Product in the Files Pane.
    8. Now Click Accept.
    9. An Optional step:
      • You can add a Thumbnail to the Product if you desire.
      • Drop the Store Thumbnail in the Runtime\Support Folder and give it the name of the .dsx file, with the extension it had to begin with. So ‘Thumbnail234dqw34gq29ou73.jpg’ would become ‘daxFileName.jpg’
    10. Return to Daz Studio
    11. Right click on the Content Library Tab, select ‘Content DB Maintenance’
    12. Check the box for ‘Re-Import Metadata…’
    13. If your NewProduct Directory is at the Top, then you will Find your Product just under all of the ‘DAZ 3D ### ….’ Products.
    14. If you go back to the Product part of the Content Library and you added the Thumbnail to the Support folder; when you hover the cursor over the Product the Thumbnail should be displayed.

Backing up your Work:

1. Go back to the OS Directory and select everything in the folder and Zip it up and Name it the same name you gave the Product in Step 2 of Building the Content Manager Product.
    2. Grab everything but the Zip File and Drop it in your Live Content Library. 
      • If you are like me, you have them separated by Store, so just drop it into the correct Content Library.
    3. If you want to share your work with others, you can Zip up the Support Folder separately. This can be shared and it does not violate any copyright. 
      • Note: This is the only part that can be shared this way. Even most Freebies have a ‘Do not Redistribute’ on them.
    4. If you are going to share the XML Files, then here is how:
      • Make another directory and create a Runtime Directory within it; and create a Support Directory within the Runtime Directory.
      • Copy the Three Files to into the Support Directory
      • Zip up the Runtime Folder and Name it: ProductName_CM.zip
        • Example ‘My_DogHouse_CM.zip’
      • If you take the time to create Metadata for the Product, then use: ProductName_DM.zip
        • Example ‘My_DogHouse_DM.zip’
      • These tags _CM and _DM woudl allow people to know what is inside the Zip file, without opening them.

Note: If you use a Mac, you can install the Recompressed the files into your Content Library with Rendoinstall 2.0 by ColonelPanic

So way did I do that when I could have stopped at before creating the XML Files. Easy, if your system Crashes, the XML files help you rebuild your Product Database and Content Manager quickly, without having to start from scratch.

If you are doing this with a New Product, I would suggest testing it to make sure everything works. There are things that I’ve seen in the Promo Images that look Great, but when I load them… Let’s just say I was less than pleased. Now I have to dig through my content Library to get it off my system so I can return it to the store. (Most of the stores have some sort of Return policy). So better to test it before you go through this, then do it and find out, “Oh My Gawd, I paid for THAT! What was I thinking?”

To show you how easy it is, here is a Tutorial Video for you.

The Video is 720p, 6:29 Seconds, just over Four minutes of that is explination. (Yes, I need to get a New Headset with a Better mic.)

Hope this helps

Haslor

I can only confirm this, that such videos and manual are "very very hard needed"!

Concur!!!

I can only guess you are talking about the Creation of Metadata.

I am trying to resolve this issue, I have started Recording the Vidoes and I have a Manual. PM me and I'll get you a Beta Copy.

Post edited by Haslor on
  • Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560
    edited December 2016

1. Emissive lighting that doesn't render so slow

2. More intuitive lighting controls perhaps a smart lighting system where you can select the location indoor or outdoor and have some appropriate light recommendations or sets are available. 

3. Better preview options for lighting

4 improved organization tools with drag and drop of products and ability to categorize  and file items by labeling them a having the go in appropriate folders.  

5. do not allow content to be installed while program is running since it corrupts database. Dim should not do it.

6 When reimporting metadata please allow search for product by name or sorting

7 better ways to back up categories that backing up user data. I have 8 user data files and it is highly unwieldy 

8. Please standardize naming conventions of items for convenience of the customer. Some items are under the pa's name other items are in a folder named after the product. I wouldn't need to refile  and organize content if they were easier to find.

Post edited by Serene Night on
  • nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929

SereneNight remind me to repeat myself again in this thread:

1) IRay rendering that is controlled like an Sony A6000 or Canon DSLR in 'Easy Mode'

2) Sun-Sky rendering enhanced to where we can give GPS coordinates, time & date, & weather and the viewport emulates such.

3) A roundtip pipeline to Blender & Unity 3D from DAZ Studio, with a DAZ native format plugin for Unity 3D and Blender

That's it.

2) Sun-Sky rendering enhanced to where we can give GPS coordinates, time & date, & weather and the viewport emulates such.

That's it.

Actually This in in 4.9

you need to select Sun and Sky Only

Then you will Expose the GPS coordinates and time & date Settings.

Weather isn't there or mayby that is the Haze, but the isn't a button for F5 Tornado or Blizzard.

Haslor said:

That's it.

Actually This in in 4.9

you need to select Sun and Sky Only

Then you will Expose the GPS coordinates and time & date Settings.

Weather isn't there or mayby that is the Haze, but the isn't a button for F5 Tornado or Blizzard.

I know about those but I would like to just say is is 40 F / 3 C (or about 3 C) and foggy and not be guessing about the 'proper values' to make haze look like various types of weather.

Ah... But you are forgetting that Chaos and Entropy are in control of the weather, because weather is unpredictable and ever changing. The same conditions, on two different days, can give you two drastically different environmental conditions. Just ask a Cat. It can be Raining on one side of a House and bright sunshine on the other. Hence the reason Cats check all the doors during a Storm, because there might be a door that exits into a warm sunny day.

Makes me believe that Cats are not completely rooted in the Physical World, or they know something we don’t.

edited December 2016
    Haslor said:

Ah... But you are forgetting that Chaos and Entropy are in control of the weather, because weather is unpredictable and ever changing. The same conditions, on two different days, can give you two drastically different environmental conditions. Just ask a Cat. It can be Raining on one side of a House and bright sunshine on the other. Hence the reason Cats check all the doors during a Storm, because there might be a door that exits into a warm sunny day.

Makes me believe that Cats are not completely rooted in the Physical World, or they know something we don’t.

As a programmer, 1st thing I think of when I see a cat is control-c but otherwise that's fine, we don't live there or control the weather but for the intent of DAZ Studio we can just use pseudo-randomly seeded Perlin Noise or other pseudo-randomizations.

However, I guess it's high time i start exporting to Unity for anything more complex than a portrait render.

Post edited by nonesuch00 on
  • macleanmaclean Posts: 2,438

I have a feeling this will be one of the big improvements that's in the pipeline. OpenGL preview with shadows (as in Poser) was a hot programmer topic a couple of years ago, but we haven't seen it yet, possiby because Iray took precedence.

This is pure speculation on my part, of course, but it seems likely that a better lighting preview could be the next logical step.

• 3. Better preview options for lighting

nVidia Iray preview mode for Iray, or the Aux Viewport with IPR for 3Delight.

4 improved organization tools with drag and drop of products and ability to categorize  and file items by labeling them a having the go in appropriate folders.  

Drag-and-drop categorisation is available.

5. do not allow content to be installed while program is running since it corrupts database. Dim should not do it.

Bug report this if it is happening - DIM should be able to isntall while DS is running, and can for me.

8. Please standardize naming conventions of items for convenience of the customer. Some items are under the pa's name other items are in a folder named after the product. I wouldn't need to refile  and organize content if they were easier to find.

That is a matter of how humans organise stuff, it isn't a DS feature.

1) IRay rendering that is controlled like an Sony A6000 or Canon DSLR in 'Easy Mode'

Have you looked at the exposure control, next to the view style button at top-right of the viewport when nVidia Iray preview mode is active?

edited December 2016
    nVidia Iray preview mode for Iray, or the Aux Viewport with IPR for 3Delight

Thats' no really specifically for lighting. It's more a preview of the whole picture..

It is not very intuitive. It could be much better. When an item is dropped (when the feature actually functions which it doesn't), it resets itself, forcing the user to go back to the beginning to do it all over again. It is very frustrating. Also allowing for multiple drag and drops of multiple items would be awesome. 

Bug report this if it is happening - DIM should be able to isntall while DS is running, and can for me.

I was advised NOT to install content while Studio is running. My request was to not allow that to happen if this is problematic. Are you saying that DAZ has no problem with content being installed while it runs? That is news to me. I will be happy if that is the case, but I was told not to- it corrupts the database.

8. Please standardize naming conventions of items for convenience of the customer. Some items are under the pa's name other items are in a folder named after the product. I wouldn't need to refile  and organize content if they were easier to find

That is a matter risation is available.of how humans organise stuff, it isn't a DS feature.\

I disagree. Since DAZ is a program designed to put organized content out there to the genuine public to use, having standards way of organizing contetnt just makes sense and this could be software enforced.. Seriously, right now, the content with your current organziation standards (Which is installed by DS) is very challenging to locate items with some content under props, some in enviroments, some in architecture... Then, on top of that, some under the Pa's name, some under the name of the product. Some under the PA's name with a typo.... Its really bad.

Perhaps at least allow product Tagging. So if an item is a hair, an environment, or sci-fi, the user could designate it as such in DIM. So the search could be smarter in locating content. 

Post edited by Serene Night on
  • ZarconDeeGrissomZarconDeeGrissom Posts: 5,412
    edited December 2016

Serene Night, Richard Haseltine. Install content with DIM while DS is running = very bad... for at least one of the databases used in the past (sql? Valentine? dBase? something) and I don't remember what one, lol.  My apologies if that has changed since Studio 4.4/4.5 era, I railed heavily against that practice after CMS turned itself into a pretzel because I thought DS must be running while DIM installs stuff way back in the day.  Studio 4.8+ database appears to be a bit more forgiving of multiple accesses, however I'm not willing to go threw that again.

It's one thing to rebuild a boot drive that an image of fits on a single DVD, there is no painless way to restore from a back up many hundreds of GB of content library just to get the (not so) smart tab working again, lol.

Post edited by ZarconDeeGrissom on

Thats what I was told. I was hoping that DIM could at least check that DAZ is running, before installing content if that was still the case.

• jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449

I would like the spotlight avatar to change so it matches the shape and size of the geometry selection.

•  

I was advised NOT to install content while Studio is running. My request was to not allow that to happen if this is problematic. Are you saying that DAZ has no problem with content being installed while it runs? That is news to me. I will be happy if that is the case, but I was told not to- it corrupts the database.

Installing with DS open works for me - there was a time when I at least believed it didn't, I'm not sure whther I was wrong or if it was changed in a later version.

Perhaps at least allow product Tagging. So if an item is a hair, an environment, or sci-fi, the user could designate it as such in DIM. So the search could be smarter in locating content. 

Tagging is available and can be used in search - in Smart Content at least. It's in the tabs at the bottom of the Smart Content pane, along with the Info tab and the Store tab.

Thanks! I didn't know about tagging

• The main danger with the current versions of DS and DIM is that, if you close DS and then launch DIM, the PostgreSQL dataabse engien may still be shutting down at the launch of DIM and so may not be available when installing. I am relieved that ZDG also remembers using both at once was a problem with older versions, though.

nVidia Iray preview mode for Iray, or the Aux Viewport with IPR for 3Delight.

Drag-and-drop categorisation is available.

That is a matter of how humans organise stuff, it isn't a DS feature.

Have you looked at the exposure control, next to the view style button at top-right of the viewport when nVidia Iray preview mode is active?

No, but I will try that, as I don't have an nVidia card having my viewport in iRay Preview mode clobbrs my PC but eventually I plan on getting new PC so i'll check. I was thinking like for Prosumer Cameras: Picture of a Bust for Potrait Mode, Soft Skin Portrait, Nighttime, Nighttime City, Scenery, Wildlife, Sports, and so on

• Ah, yes, the lack of waiting for the CPU load indicator to drop to idle before doing something after closing studio. That will get you switching between release and public beta if your into the habit of clearing out the cache folder between them, lol.  The biggest goof I keep running into of late, is firing up Studio forgetting that I already had it minimized to read a forum post, oops, lol.

I can understand that the database needs to be a tad more resilient for connect to work, I don't think you can close studio and then install stuff with connect. So something had to change somewhere, I just did not know if it was how the database handles accesses from multiple programs, or if connect in studio did that stuff a different way from DIM.

• I disagree. Since DAZ is a program designed to put organized content out there to the genuine public to use, having standards way of organizing contetnt just makes sense and this could be software enforced.. Seriously, right now, the content with your current organziation standards (Which is installed by DS) is very challenging to locate items with some content under props, some in enviroments, some in architecture... Then, on top of that, some under the Pa's name, some under the name of the product. Some under the PA's name with a typo.... Its really bad.

Figures and figure related content IS standardized to a degree, insofar as clothing and other content related to a specific line of figures is found under People/(based figure name). It's the environments that generally are not, which I agree should be changed.

• A release date or announcement of some kind would be awesome 

• ZarconDeeGrissomZarconDeeGrissom Posts: 5,412
    edited December 2016

I have a request, an AoA subsurface shader for HD figures that dose not take bloody ages to pre-compute whatever it is monkeying around with  (seriously).

What a piece of work (tap tap tap) is it dead?

Post edited by ZarconDeeGrissom on
    I disagree. Since DAZ is a program designed to put organized content out there to the genuine public to use, having standards way of organizing contetnt just makes sense and this could be software enforced.. Seriously, right now, the content with your current organziation standards (Which is installed by DS) is very challenging to locate items with some content under props, some in enviroments, some in architecture... Then, on top of that, some under the Pa's name, some under the name of the product. Some under the PA's name with a typo.... Its really bad.

Figures and figure related content IS standardized to a degree, insofar as clothing and other content related to a specific line of figures is found under People/(based figure name). It's the environments that generally are not, which I agree should be changed.

Figures are less bothersome but still problematic as some pa's put their characters in their own folders others under the name of the characters others shorten the name  of either themselves or the character creating  chaos.  A good editor would create standards for content and naming conventions and those rules could be applied to the releases

• tsaristtsarist Posts: 1,606

1. I would like a batch render option

2. More compatibility with Carrara

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,586
    edited December 2016

...an Iray to 3DL shader conversion.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714

I install via Dim and have no issues; nor do I recall getting any.

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714

I have a request, an AoA subsurface shader for HD figures that dose not take bloody ages to pre-compute whatever it is monkeying around with  (seriously).

What a piece of work (tap tap tap) is it dead?

holy, er crap.

I get grumpy at the minute or so it can take IRAY to get running.