What features would you like to see appear in dazstudio 5?

Comments

• abe01abe01 Posts: 29

Disabling, size limitation or session limitation of the log file. KeyShot supportin OBJ Exporter(TransMaps).

• I'd like a way to move things to zero. So many sets load with the floor up high, my character in the middle of a bulkhead and lights spread out through the mess. 

I'd like a way to designate something as zero and have my character in the center.

Designated the ground would also be great. Sometimes grounds load unevenly or up high, and I spend a lot of time adjusting feet, to go to that ground area.

I second that!

• Now that I'm getting into animation what I would really like to see happen in Daz 5 is better real time rendering. Not everybody wants photorealism in their animation. It's sad that the OpenGL rendering in Daz Studio is worse than videogames from the 90s. Can we get a real time render engine that is at least on par with what modern video games are capable of? Even at only 100 samples it takes 10 to 15 minutes to render a single frame of animation. With default 3Delight it still takes about 5 minutes per frame.

• dvitola said:

A direct connection to Bryce that works for Macs.

Which for Macs? The direct connection or a version of Bryce?

• nicstt said:
    nicstt said:

Hmmm.

A replacement for Connect, and especially Encrypted Connect (Maybe calling it DRM would be a start.)

Encryption implies controlled access to whatever is so protected, be it a piece of software, the voice traffic on a police radio, or whatever. DRM is simply the name applied when said encryption is applied to a item that is some person or company's intellectual property.

Encryption means exactly that; it's encrypted. The reasons are irrelevant. DRM implies that access to this is protected and controlled (encryption is the means of the protection), and that authentication to use the item/product is verified before use.

DRM is the name given to encryption used to control access to someone's intellectual property (the models sold here as Encrypted DAZ Connect, for example), as verification is required for anything that is encrypted.

nicstt said:

And yeh, count me in for Linux support.

Agreed.

• MythmakerMythmaker Posts: 606
    edited September 2016

Now that I'm getting into animation what I would really like to see happen in Daz 5 is better real time rendering. Not everybody wants photorealism in their animation. It's sad that the OpenGL rendering in Daz Studio is worse than videogames from the 90s. Can we get a real time render engine that is at least on par with what modern video games are capable of?

Yeeep. After checking out Poser recently, having even the lousiest 2006 shadow on the ground makes a huge huge huge difference in posing and scene setup. 

Allegedly.......

IRay realtime is in the works... laugh

Daz Studio's answer to next gen OpenGL viewport - the THIRD IRAY MODE!

NEW: Iray Realtime is an OpenGL render mode which uses coventional GPU raster techniques to achieve realtime rendering speed. Iray Realtime targets a look for the materials that is closely matching the look in the other render modes. However, it has limitations when it comes to accurate reflections and refractions as well as lighting simulations. Iray Realtime leverages OpenGL 3.3 and NVIDIA extensions. It is ideal where rendering speed or large display support has priority and limited photorealism is acceptable.

----

Hm.... Ansel will be possible then? 360 VR render in DS....

Post edited by Mythmaker on
  • Has Daz said that Realtime preview is in the works? It was deliberately excluded from previous builds for stability reasons, as far as I am aware.

• outrider42outrider42 Posts: 3,679
    5.0 needs to be able to be a separate install from other versions IF the customer wants to (not just the beta.) And the 2 can access the same libraries. The reason for this is simple: as Iray changes, so does the way it renders your scenes. So I don't have to redo every figure's skin setting over again. Trying to get skin settings right was hard enough in 4.8, going to 4.9 murders every single one of them turning them into freaks. So I skipped 4.9 because screw that. And it should be obvious that 5.0 will render skin differently from 4.8 or 4.9 yet again, meaning we get to have another hundred threads about Iray skin settings.
  • 5.0 needs to be able to be a separate install from other versions IF the customer wants to (not just the beta.) And the 2 can access the same libraries. The reason for this is simple: as Iray changes, so does the way it renders your scenes. So I don't have to redo every figure's skin setting over again. Trying to get skin settings right was hard enough in 4.8, going to 4.9 murders every single one of them turning them into freaks. So I skipped 4.9 because screw that. And it should be obvious that 5.0 will render skin differently from 4.8 or 4.9 yet again, meaning we get to have another hundred threads about Iray skin settings.

If they follow the same pattern they did with the transition from 3.5 (or thereabouts) to 4.x, that's likely how things will be, because I have both of them installed on the desktop as well as the 64 bit version of 4.9. And yes, you will be able to use the same libraries for each version.

• 5.0 needs to be able to be a separate install from other versions IF the customer wants to (not just the beta.) And the 2 can access the same libraries.

AFAIK that's always been the case — as long as the update has been to a completely new version number, e.g. 3 to 4, or 2 to 3 etc., then the two installed copies will happily cohabitate on your computer. I still have the last stable versions of D|S2 and D|S3 installed along with D|S4, they all work, and they all use the same content locations. The thing that won't work is putting something like 4.8 and 4.9 together (unless one of them is the beta). What's happening is the two versions will by default install into the same place, use the same settings files, the same temp folders, etc. This doesn't hold for the different base version numbers, so they're OK to have installed at the same time because everything is kept separate.

The only likely gotcha, and it's something to be aware of if you work with betas as well, is that settings and plugins will not carry over (because the two D|S versions are looking in two different places) and will need to be reinstalled.

• MythmakerMythmaker Posts: 606
    edited September 2016

Has Daz said that Realtime preview is in the works? It was deliberately excluded from previous builds for stability reasons, as far as I am aware.

Right. You have indeed mentioned similar recently....

Realtime mode was tested but was found to have major stability issues and so was not included in the release version of DS. If you look at the excised portions of the Iray changelog that Rob posted to the DS beta thread you will see that nVidia has done a lot of work on realtime mode, so it's possible that that will change after futher testing of the new version.

Clearly non-committal or speculative, yes. Hence I specifically said "allegedly" but you probably missed that

So, unless a dev comes out and say "100% NO" we can wish on with all our silly hopes and hearts and wide eyes, right? wink

(Don't worry, won't hold anyone against it if it doesn't happen!)

Regardless...

Would still be nice to have some shadow though (even if it's crappy 2003 era game fake AO shadow)

If adding a (minimalistic) iRay Interactive Draw Style (with base minimum occlusion) will do the same job, very cool too! smiley

Post edited by Mythmaker on
  • RAMWolff said:

fixmypcmike said:

icprncss said:

With the Poser directory you need to point "deeper". It slould be MyLibrary>Contente>Runtime... Just pointing at the MyLibrary or the Content folder isn't enough.

No, you point to the folder CONTAINING the Runtime folder, and you shouldn't have a folder named "Content" inside "My Library".

Correct.

Allot of content providers, free and paid for, still have not bothered to update the zip content layout within so when they create a new product they still have "Content" or "My Content" as the Parent folder. If you open up a zip and see this then just drag all the child folders from that to your "My Library" folder and let it add all that to it and it should go where it's supposed to go rather than unzipping it because then it's going to create the older set of folders with "Content" or "My Content" within your "My Library" and really mess things up. I discovered this a while back. It's annoying but some folks just are too lazy or not aware that that parent folder is now called "My Library".

Many thanks RAMWolff!! Following your instructions I have been able to load all my content! You are the first person who explained it so even a noob like me could understand! And my apologies for trashing daz a little, I was just VERY frustrated. It was never daz's fault, just my own misunderstanding of the product.

• jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449

Actually that parent folder is a library folder and can be called anything you want, it just shouldn't be included in a general zip file.  I know some people will point to DAZ's zips and say that they contain a "Content" folder so that must be the way it should be done but those zips where designed specifically for DIM ( to separate the content files from information files for DIM) which strips out the folder when it installs.

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,148
    edited September 2016

Yes, my bad.  DAZ still uses "Content" as the parent folder so the best advice is to open up the ZIP folder, Select all and drag and drop into or ONto the My Library folder (if your using Windows, I think MAC does it differently)

Post edited by RAMWolff on
  • cosmo71cosmo71 Posts: 3,609

That we still can use old poser formats (pz2,pp2 and stuff)

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714
    edited September 2016
    nicstt said:
    nicstt said:

Hmmm.

A replacement for Connect, and especially Encrypted Connect (Maybe calling it DRM would be a start.)

Encryption implies controlled access to whatever is so protected, be it a piece of software, the voice traffic on a police radio, or whatever. DRM is simply the name applied when said encryption is applied to a item that is some person or company's intellectual property.

Encryption means exactly that; it's encrypted. The reasons are irrelevant. DRM implies that access to this is protected and controlled (encryption is the means of the protection), and that authentication to use the item/product is verified before use.

DRM is the name given to encryption used to control access to someone's intellectual property (the models sold here as Encrypted DAZ Connect, for example), as verification is required for anything that is encrypted.

nicstt said:

And yeh, count me in for Linux support.

Agreed.

No DRM is a method of continually verifying a user has the rights to access; the access control is DRM; encryption is used to ensure that the control DRM requires can be locked or unlocked as required.

The two are quite different. All Daz products (I understand) have encryption on certain parts of them (scripts iirc); there is no DRM there, as the user is not allowed access. In other words, there is no need for Digital Rights Management. Encryption does not need DRM to function: there is no Digital Rights Management in encryption (it's a mathematical and programming function or series of functions); DRM needs some means to enforce what it purports to provide or protect, namely restricting access to only those authorised. Encryption is the method chosen. It is currently the only way to enforce DRM that we know of.

I log into my email, or anything that uses https (http secure), then that security is encryption, it is not DRM; it is not about protecting copywright infringement.

I'll provide a couple of links for clarity.

http://searchcio.techtarget.com/definition/digital-rights-management

http://searchsecurity.techtarget.com/definition/encryption

Agreed.

Glad we can agree on something at least. :)

Post edited by nicstt on
  • carrie58carrie58 Posts: 3,952
    edited September 2016

I knew I had seen this thread!! and I do understand it's not an official thread but I do hope somebody from the DAZ team looks at it ...I would like the same thing I wanted when I first started playing with DS ,I want a loading camera .........so if I use the loading camera ,and focus it where I want in the scene ,then when I load my figure they will land front and center of the camera view rather then center of the studio ......... from where I would have to drag them where I want them .......or anything else I want in the camera view..Which if it would load in the center of the camera view would simplify the whole process  ..........so yeah if possible I would like a "Loading Camera"

Post edited by carrie58 on
  • I apologize if this has already been mentioned in this forum, as I did not read all 52 pages, but I would like to see network (or node) rendering incorperated into Daz Studio for aniamations. That would be sweet.

• Volumetric Lighting please!!!!

• A release date would be awesome or an announcement or even a little teaser of 5.0, its about time, Studio 4 has been out for like forever

• carrie58 said:

I knew I had seen this thread!! and I do understand it's not an official thread but I do hope somebody from the DAZ team looks at it ...I would like the same thing I wanted when I first started playing with DS ,I want a loading camera .........so if I use the loading camera ,and focus it where I want in the scene ,then when I load my figure they will land front and center of the camera view rather then center of the studio ......... from where I would have to drag them where I want them .......or anything else I want in the camera view..Which if it would load in the center of the camera view would simplify the whole process  ..........so yeah if possible I would like a "Loading Camera"

Hold down the alt key (Windows, opt fro macs) and drag the item from the content pane instead of double-clicking - a target will show where the item's origin will be placed (at floor level) when you release the mouse, then the key.

• IkyotoIkyoto Posts: 1,159

Is it too late to ask fo indoor plumbing and breakfast in bed?

• A release date would be awesome or an announcement or even a little teaser of 5.0, its about time, Studio 4 has been out for like forever

And has had seveal major updates. Daz studio 5 is being kept, from what i understand, for a release that will break the SDK (requiring, at least, the recompilation of plug-ins) - that may or may not be acccompanied by major feature changes.

• I would like to see better autoflows when importing clothing and comforming them to a figure. We all know that there is a problem with the crotch area when working with new clothing models because of the weight maps. Hey get stretched and bent out of shape so easily, I wish this would just be cleaner to begin with. I would also love a Marvelous Deisgner to DAZ bridge. 

Jason

• PetercatPetercat Posts: 2,315
    edited September 2016

Fix rotation behavior so that rotating around one axis doesn't screw up rotations on the other two axis.

Allow lock in for poses to remain at pre-posed figure location and orientation, (without holding ctrl when loading) and rotate around their center, not an axis somewhere off in neverland.

Post edited by Petercat on
  • Petercat said:

Fix rotation behavior so that rotating around one axis doesn't screw up rotations on the other two axis.

Use the Parameter sliders, not the viewport widget

Petercat said:

Allow lock in for poses to remain at pre-posed figure location and orientation, (without holding ctrl when loading) and rotate around their center, not an axis somewhere off in neverland.

The offset rotation is usually because you ar rotating the figure node but have translated the hip node, you can avoid it by using the hip to rotate too or by using the figure to translate.

• Petercat said:

That's what I do (parameter sliders) - but rotating something by 90 degrees in the x-axis first (or is it y?) make the other 2 perform the same rotation rather than different ones. (That's probably clear as mud but try it).  After doing one rotation, the other 2 work differently, rather than being relative to the object.

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714
    Petercat said:

A null can also help; add the item to a null, then rotate the null.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,310
    edited September 2016
    Petercat said:

That's what I do (parameter sliders) - but rotating something by 90 degrees in the x-axis first (or is it y?) make the other 2 perform the same rotation rather than different ones. (That's probably clear as mud but try it).  After doing one rotation, the other 2 work differently, rather than being relative to the object.

Gimbal lock. This is an issue with any regular, human-readable, rotation system - hence the advice to put the axis that is most likely to hit ninety degrees last in the rotation order so that it won't lock the other axis. That's what the interrelation when using the viewport widget is meant to help with.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • Petercat said:

Gimbal lock. This is an issue with any regular, human-readable, rotation system - hence the advice to put the axis that is most likely to hit ninety degrees last in the rotation order so that it won't lock the other axis. That's what the interrelation when using the viewport widget is meant to help with.

Hmm, 'human readable' to me would include:  object's front-back, side-side, left-fight rotations.  Shouldn't matter which way the object is currently facing.  (Tried it with the coffin from Curious dead-end.  Rotating y first by 90 degrees makes x and z rotations do exactly the same thing).

Part of the problem I have is when rotating something that's preloaded to 'almost' the right position (or changing my mind halfway through a scene laugh ).

But as just suggested above, placing a null at the object's centre and parenting, can overcome that issue as you now have a new starter point to rotate around.

Cheers :)