More Non-photorealisitic Renders (NPR II)

Comments

• MollytabbyMollytabby Posts: 1,158

Ooo... thank you for the link @tkdrobert smiley 

• tkdroberttkdrobert Posts: 3,532

Ooo... thank you for the link @tkdrobert smiley 

yes

• tkdrobert said:

Toying around with yet another concept for Alex Riker, my main character/team leader.  I didn't correct all the issues and I totally forgot to add shadows to the lights.  I'm more interested in feedback on the concept vs the previous ones.

Riker Concepts 4  by tkdrobert

The design is rock solid. I shrank the image down so you can see that the colors and shapes are strong and holding up at small sizes (which means they will work when he's in the background or at a distance). I wonder about the gold. I like it, but is it strong enough? Should it be more yellow? And have you tried adding gold/yellow to his buckles? That might help bring the yellow/gold color more into the design and give it a since of classic design.

BTW: I think you're ready for some action shots and sequential scene. This is REALLY good. I want to see more!

• (Post 2/2, splitting it up as it seems to be working better for the upload)

This is REALLY good. I like what you have done here. Your storytelling is spot-on. you start with an establishing shot (and that pop of blue on his shirt makes it all work). You then move in, use lots of body language to convey emotion while setting the scene. Your dialogue even sets up the color scheme for us: life is hot and drab, hence your use of desert colors. 

This is really good and I want to see more. If you finish it, consider contacting Alernity Comics. This looks like something they would be interested in for their young reader books.

tkdrobert said:

Toying around with yet another concept for Alex Riker, my main character/team leader.  I didn't correct all the issues and I totally forgot to add shadows to the lights.  I'm more interested in feedback on the concept vs the previous ones.

The design is rock solid. I shrank the image down so you can see that the colors and shapes are strong and holding up at small sizes (which means they will work when he's in the background or at a distance). I wonder about the gold. I like it, but is it strong enough? Should it be more yellow? And have you tried adding gold/yellow to his buckles? That might help bring the yellow/gold color more into the design and give it a since of classic design.

BTW: I think you're ready for some action shots and sequential scene. This is REALLY good. I want to see more!

I'll try gold and see how it looks.  I want to do another cover with the whole team, then maybe I'll try some action panels.

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,878

I finally figured out how to do LAMH fur properly in PWToon. Woot.

Been trying all sorts of things, including using PWGhost and whatnot.

Toon Fox.png
    1300 x 1000 - 1000K
  • vrba79vrba79 Posts: 1,297
    tkdrobert said:

Ghost in the Shell: The Major

Ghost in the Shell: The Major by tkdrobert

I tweaked my Visual Style Shaders settings.  I used VSS on the skin, gloves, and jacket.  I used pwToon on her hair, gun, and other clothing.  I, of course, used LineRender9000 for the linework.  The background was created using Daz assests.  Only the green Hexagons were added in post work.  I enhanced the colors in photoshop.  I also used a filter called Tonal Contrast in the free plugin Nix Collection/Color Effex Pro 4.  Hope you all like it.  

Unf!! Noice!

• tkdrobert said:
    tkdrobert said:

I'll try gold and see how it looks.  I want to do another cover with the whole team, then maybe I'll try some action panels.

Looking forward to seeing it!

• mmitchell_houstonmmitchell_houston Posts: 2,472
    edited October 2018

I took a stab at obtaining a dynamic chest harness for my hero character, and although it clearly needs more work, this might be a direction worth pursuing. 

DynamicSide_Edited.jpg
    530 x 1492 - 149K
    Post edited by mmitchell_houston on
    vrba79 said:
    tkdrobert said:

Ghost in the Shell: The Major

Ghost in the Shell: The Major by tkdrobert

I tweaked my Visual Style Shaders settings.  I used VSS on the skin, gloves, and jacket.  I used pwToon on her hair, gun, and other clothing.  I, of course, used LineRender9000 for the linework.  The background was created using Daz assests.  Only the green Hexagons were added in post work.  I enhanced the colors in photoshop.  I also used a filter called Tonal Contrast in the free plugin Nix Collection/Color Effex Pro 4.  Hope you all like it.  

Unf!! Noice!

Thanks

And again... this time an undead Screyan (Slavic-like nation of necromancers/undead from my Balt setting) on a zombie horse. woo.

A raven looks on.

Screyan Rider.png
    1300 x 1000 - 2M
    edited October 2018
    Oso3D said:

And again... this time an undead Screyan (Slavic-like nation of necromancers/undead from my Balt setting) on a zombie horse. woo.

A raven looks on.

I really like the look of this one. It reminds me of Ralph Bakshi's Lord of the Rings.

Post edited by vrba79 on
    edited October 2018

Huh, yeah, I can see that. There's something about the withered face that reminds me of some of the scenes, plus the eyes and rider thing.

Here's another, linked and mature locked (it TECHNICALLY has nudity, not that I think it really counts, but prefer to be safe)

https://www.deviantart.com/willbear/art/Demon-Queen-Xeral-and-consort-768169088

It includes more detail/texture than I've been shooting for, but in this case it felt necessary.

Also working on adjusting the texture of backdrop elements to look more illustrated. More use for Iray Worlds, woo

Post edited by Oso3D on

PWToon with minimal postwork.

Genesis 1 blend, with Aiko 4 anime eyes, Aiko 6 hair and a V4 outfit.

Two distance lights.

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,528

Looks great, vrba79. Like this style of your image.

vrba79 said:

Two distance lights.

Nice work.

edited October 2018

Anybody here heard of Krita?  It's a free painting app for Windows 10, MAC, and Linux developed by artist.  Supposed to be great for comics and manga.  I'm wondering if I should give it a try.  I don't have a lot of time to waist, so if you've used it before, let me know.  Thanks.

Post edited by tkdrobert on
    tkdrobert said:

Anybody here heard of Krita?  It's a free painting app for Windows 10, MAC, and Linux developed by artist.  Supposed to be great for comics and manga.  I'm wondering if I should give it a try.  I don't have a lot of time to waist, so if you've used it before, let me know.  Thanks.

All I know of it, is that it is free. I tend to stay away from "new" 2D graphic editiors, as my old beater copy of Photoshop gets me by just fine. "If it ain't borked" and all that.

edited October 2018
    vrba79 said:
    tkdrobert said:

All I know of it, is that it is free. I tend to stay away from "new" 2D graphic editiors, as my old beater copy of Photoshop gets me by just fine. "If it ain't borked" and all that.

I ressearched it a bit.  I don't see anything that would make me quit my Photoshop sub and I have Clip Paint Studio.  Also, Medibang is free.  It has some nice tools that are also available in CPS, but some of Medibang's tools are easier to use. It's also free for the iPad as well.  CPS wants sub for iPad version.  As soon as Photoshop releases it's full version for iPad (coming soon) I'll have that for no extra cost.  I wish there was a painting app that had everything I like in one program, that is availble on PC and iPad, but I haven't found that yet.

• My recent Daz renders were postworked in Krita, specifically "Anime Girl" and "Happy Sakura". It's a really nifty program.

edited October 2018

My recent Daz renders were postworked in Krita, specifically "Anime Girl" and "Happy Sakura". It's a really nifty program.

One of the things I love about Clip Paint Studio is some of the special brushes.  For example I have fire and water brushes and when I apply them look just like comic book water and fire.  My favorite is my spiderman web-line brush.  Very fast and convienent, huge time saver.  Does Krita have brushes like that?

• mindsongmindsong Posts: 1,693
    vrba79 said:

Two distance lights.

+++ ...

--ms

• tkdrobert said:

My recent Daz renders were postworked in Krita, specifically "Anime Girl" and "Happy Sakura". It's a really nifty program.

One of the things I love about Clip Paint Studio is some of the special brushes.  For example I have fire and water brushes and when I apply them look just like comic book water and fire.  My favorite is my spiderman web-line brush.  Very fast and convienent, huge time saver.  Does Krita have brushes like that?

Are you using built-in brushes (that came with it) or did you get some other ones? If so, share the links, bud! I'm always looking for new brushes that can make life easier.

• mmitchell_houstonmmitchell_houston Posts: 2,472
    edited October 2018
    vrba79 said:
    Oso3D said:

A raven looks on.

I really like the look of this one. It reminds me of Ralph Bakshi's Lord of the Rings.

I agree. I totally get a Ralph Bakshi LoTR feel from this!

Post edited by mmitchell_houston on
    tkdrobert said:

Are you using built-in brushes (that came with it) or did you get some other ones? If so, share the links, bud! I'm always looking for new brushes that can make life easier.

The fire, water, and Spider-Man brushes were free and available through the CPS resource window where you can search for stuff.  Thing is, you have to use Google translate to find them.  It’s getting harder to find free stuff now because people have started charging which is now allowed.

You mean Chicago Public Schools - https://library.cps.edu/databases.php?loc_id=1

Artini said:

You mean Chicago Public Schools - https://library.cps.edu/databases.php?loc_id=1

No Clip Paint Studio.

edited October 2018

Ok, have not installed it yet, but I have Manga Studio 5, that I have not used for ages.

test002.jpg
    1280 x 1024 - 591K
    Post edited by Artini on
    edited October 2018

Another example image, made in Manga Studio.

Girl06.jpg
    1280 x 1024 - 316K
    Post edited by Artini on
  • tkdrobert said:
    tkdrobert said:

The fire, water, and Spider-Man brushes were free and available through the CPS resource window where you can search for stuff.  Thing is, you have to use Google translate to find them.  It’s getting harder to find free stuff now because people have started charging which is now allowed.

I recently found the Asian site that has a lot of brushes and resources for download. I definitely need to find the water brushes, as I've a scene that calls for a big splash, but i've been putting it off because I really haven't mastered drawing a water splash.

This discussion has been closed.