More Non-photorealisitic Renders (NPR II)

Comments

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,786
    edited November 2018

Very nice - well done, Oso3D.

I am using FotoSketcher from time to time, but have not tinkered with setiings in it, but only used the presets as is, so far.

Post edited by Artini on
  • Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,886

I keep kicking the idea of doing a webcomic again... and waffle a lot (plus the fact that creative work on a webcomic translates to money sink).

My first webcomic was scifi set in the Oort cloud with (for the most part) no aliens. But... that's limiting.

If I do another one, I think I'd want to do some sprawling interstellar setting, so I can do all sorts of funky things. Hey, maybe some planets people like to live in log cabins. And so on.

Kimo and Bary.png
    1300 x 1000 - 875K
  • tkdroberttkdrobert Posts: 3,532

Bossk

Bossk by tkdrobert

More tinkering, seeing how I feel about this style for a webcomic.

Squidface alien.png
    1000 x 1000 - 296K
    Oso3D said:

More tinkering, seeing how I feel about this style for a webcomic.

Looks good. What alien morph is that?

https://www.daz3d.com/the-elder-one-for-genesis-3-male + one of the HFS creature morphs (one of the reptile feet, I think)

And more tinkering.
    I keep vacillating between 3dl and Iray; Iray makes glowing things easier and I generally like the natural light, but the fakery of 3dl gives me a lot of control of look and feel more quickly.

Panel sizes are limited, so it really requires a simpler look or details smoosh together.

Guard.png
    700 x 700 - 210K

And another, imagining a system ruler...

Matriarch.png
    700 x 700 - 199K

Ugh. I had mostly settled into this style and then hit my old nemesis... transmap bug.

nngh

Cable

X-men: Cable by tkdrobert

Ironman

Ironman by tkdrobert

• Oso3D said:

I keep kicking the idea of doing a webcomic again... and waffle a lot (plus the fact that creative work on a webcomic translates to money sink).

My first webcomic was scifi set in the Oort cloud with (for the most part) no aliens. But... that's limiting.

If I do another one, I think I'd want to do some sprawling interstellar setting, so I can do all sorts of funky things. Hey, maybe some planets people like to live in log cabins. And so on.

If you could make it a limited series with a finite end, it might be rewarding to do something. Nothing like working on a deadline-driven project to make you flex your muscles a bit.

edited November 2018

Mei Lin 8

MeiLin104pic02PaintColorIII.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 891K
    Post edited by Artini on
  • Artini said:

Mei Lin 8

The colors are very dramatic. 

Thanks for the comment, mmitchell_houston.

I have not experimented with more colorful scenes, so that was one of my attempts.

• StarlawStarlaw Posts: 71
    edited November 2018

Still working on the project...

Post edited by Starlaw on
  • StarlawStarlaw Posts: 71
    edited November 2018

And another male test with layered clothing.

Post edited by Starlaw on
  • Starlaw said:

I'm very intrigued by these illustrations. In the first one, I'm completely taken in by those rocks! They look like something out of a classic fantasy ink & paint illustration. For some reason I'm getting flashbacks to both Asian-inspired art and early work by Charles Vess or Barry Windosor Smith. It's just got such a classic look to them. The character design for the girl is amazing. Very strong colors and shapes and the clothing really adds to a sense of personality: you can get a sort of "island waif innocence" about her. She's just the sort of girl I would expect to encounter in an anime by Studio Ghibli. The male character is equally well defined: he definitely conveys some sort of authority. I do have a few questions, though. One the first illustration, did you stretch it to make it wider? It has a sense that it was stretched in Photoshop. I like the width on her (it's nice to see a slightly less traditional body shape, as that contributes to the sense that this is hand drawn), but it is something I wondered about it, nonetheless.

There's so much to like here (colors, costumes, the wonderful layering of the fabric) that I feel a little rotten for focusing on things I don't like but here we go. Your wonderful process loses his nose and the outline of her leg that is forward. However you are achieving these great results, it's not doing a great job of catching the outlines when the same texture is in front of itself (if that makes sense). In this case, hand drawing a simple line to define her trouser leg would do wonders to this illustration. Likewise, his nose is completely gone. You need a splash of color or a line to define it for us. When I look at the full-size illustration I can see his nose outlines; I would suggest just using a simple pen/pencil tool to draw over them in brown. That would fix most of the problems with the flatness of his face. And that brings me to the shadows, which are a big problem for me. On her body and his clothes, there are wonderful nuances of shadow and tone. But his face and hand is completely flat. Considering the strong shadows on the ground, we should see a darker neck and the side of his face (his right, our left) should be in shadows. Also, whereas everything you have done here has a wonderfully classic look, the ground shadows don't match in style (speaking of which, the tree in the drawing with the guy is clearly sitting on top of the ground; just plopped there as a prop; a few scattered rocks around the base would help hide this). They look like they are done in modern Photoshop. Classic illustrations seldom had that consistent gradient softness to them, and for me it detracts from the illustrative quality you have achieved here.

And then there's the water (he said going on with his nitpicking). I don't dislike the color that much (although it is a bit darner than I would expect considering the other light tones in the illustration), but it's just so flat looking. I would suggesting applying some sort of subtle gradient, either to the horizon or the coast, and experiment with making one of them darker or lighter. Just something to bring the water up to the high standards you've achieved in the rest of the illustration.

And finally (whew!) I want to comment about the character design of the man. One of the basic "rules" of character design for comics and cartoons is that you use different colors to define the body parts and avoid causing confusion. In this case, I have to challenge you to think about the color of his undershirt and leggings. They are extremely close to flesh tone (in fact, it almost matches her skin tone). At a glance, it would be possible to assume his arms and legs are both naked, meaning he's trotting around the island in a long loincloth. That gives this character a very different vibe than I think you're shooting for. I would suggest that if you want to keep him in earth tones that you commit to a stronger/darker brown.

Wow, did not mean to ramble on so long! Or sound so negative about two illustrations that really speak to me in terms of style and approach. There is something both classic and fresh about this work. I'm looking forward to seeing more in this project soon.

• tkdrobert said:

Ironman

Ironman by tkdrobert

Should have commented on this before: very strong work. I like the way the background is drawing us in. Is this from Manga Studio / Clip Studio Paint? I like the subtle touch of light from his repulsor ray illuminating the chest armor, but the lighting on his helmet seems backward. I would expect the red armor highlights to continue up into the face. Just a thought... have you considered adding an inner color to his jets? Maybe a hint of orange or white? Just something to think about, bud! I'm really enjoying the confident linework I'm seeing from you these days. And I'm very excited to see work on your comic progressing!

I like your new sig, btw, although I think the eagle is a bit big in comparison to your name. Just a thought.

• tkdrobert said:

Cable

This is definitely one of your strongest pieces, and a time when a simple approach to shadows, highlights and background really paid off. Not much to say in terms of suggesting improvements or edits. SOLID!

tkdrobert said:

Ironman

Ironman by tkdrobert

Should have commented on this before: very strong work. I like the way the background is drawing us in. Is this from Manga Studio / Clip Studio Paint? I like the subtle touch of light from his repulsor ray illuminating the chest armor, but the lighting on his helmet seems backward. I would expect the red armor highlights to continue up into the face. Just a thought... have you considered adding an inner color to his jets? Maybe a hint of orange or white? Just something to think about, bud! I'm really enjoying the confident linework I'm seeing from you these days. And I'm very excited to see work on your comic progressing!

I like your new sig, btw, although I think the eagle is a bit big in comparison to your name. Just a thought.

Yes the background was made in Clip Paint Studio.  It wasn't premade though, I created it playing with the tools.

tkdrobert said:

Cable

This is definitely one of your strongest pieces, and a time when a simple approach to shadows, highlights and background really paid off. Not much to say in terms of suggesting improvements or edits. SOLID!

I'm a big fan of Cable.  I'm glad I was finally able to do him justice.

• tkdrobert said:
    tkdrobert said:

Ironman

Ironman by tkdrobert

Yes the background was made in Clip Paint Studio.  It wasn't premade though, I created it playing with the tools.

Once you get a handle for those tools, they are amazing! The first few times I used them they seemed really weird, but now I am in love with them!

tkdrobert said:
    tkdrobert said:

Ironman

Ironman by tkdrobert

Once you get a handle for those tools, they are amazing! The first few times I used them they seemed really weird, but now I am in love with them!

It took me a few trys before I got it to look good.  BTW, I adjusted my logo like you suggested.

• Starlaw said:

I'm very intrigued by these illustrations. In the first one, I'm completely taken in by those rocks! They look like something out of a classic fantasy ink & paint illustration. For some reason I'm getting flashbacks to both Asian-inspired art and early work by Charles Vess or Barry Windosor Smith. It's just got such a classic look to them. The character design for the girl is amazing. Very strong colors and shapes and the clothing really adds to a sense of personality: you can get a sort of "island waif innocence" about her. She's just the sort of girl I would expect to encounter in an anime by Studio Ghibli. The male character is equally well defined: he definitely conveys some sort of authority. I do have a few questions, though. One the first illustration, did you stretch it to make it wider? It has a sense that it was stretched in Photoshop. I like the width on her (it's nice to see a slightly less traditional body shape, as that contributes to the sense that this is hand drawn), but it is something I wondered about it, nonetheless.

There's so much to like here (colors, costumes, the wonderful layering of the fabric) that I feel a little rotten for focusing on things I don't like but here we go. Your wonderful process loses his nose and the outline of her leg that is forward. However you are achieving these great results, it's not doing a great job of catching the outlines when the same texture is in front of itself (if that makes sense). In this case, hand drawing a simple line to define her trouser leg would do wonders to this illustration. Likewise, his nose is completely gone. You need a splash of color or a line to define it for us. When I look at the full-size illustration I can see his nose outlines; I would suggest just using a simple pen/pencil tool to draw over them in brown. That would fix most of the problems with the flatness of his face. And that brings me to the shadows, which are a big problem for me. On her body and his clothes, there are wonderful nuances of shadow and tone. But his face and hand is completely flat. Considering the strong shadows on the ground, we should see a darker neck and the side of his face (his right, our left) should be in shadows. Also, whereas everything you have done here has a wonderfully classic look, the ground shadows don't match in style (speaking of which, the tree in the drawing with the guy is clearly sitting on top of the ground; just plopped there as a prop; a few scattered rocks around the base would help hide this). They look like they are done in modern Photoshop. Classic illustrations seldom had that consistent gradient softness to them, and for me it detracts from the illustrative quality you have achieved here.

And then there's the water (he said going on with his nitpicking). I don't dislike the color that much (although it is a bit darner than I would expect considering the other light tones in the illustration), but it's just so flat looking. I would suggesting applying some sort of subtle gradient, either to the horizon or the coast, and experiment with making one of them darker or lighter. Just something to bring the water up to the high standards you've achieved in the rest of the illustration.

And finally (whew!) I want to comment about the character design of the man. One of the basic "rules" of character design for comics and cartoons is that you use different colors to define the body parts and avoid causing confusion. In this case, I have to challenge you to think about the color of his undershirt and leggings. They are extremely close to flesh tone (in fact, it almost matches her skin tone). At a glance, it would be possible to assume his arms and legs are both naked, meaning he's trotting around the island in a long loincloth. That gives this character a very different vibe than I think you're shooting for. I would suggest that if you want to keep him in earth tones that you commit to a stronger/darker brown.

Wow, did not mean to ramble on so long! Or sound so negative about two illustrations that really speak to me in terms of style and approach. There is something both classic and fresh about this work. I'm looking forward to seeing more in this project soon.

Thank you for the well thought out feedback and compliments. Your words are truly appreciated and well valued. 

You surely have a keen eye for details. Yes the aspect ratio of the girl is slightly scaled across the x axis. I really want the characters to demonstrate many sizes and proportions. It was a bit of experimentation. 

I completely agree about the outlining on the skin and clothing texture. It benefits me when seams of clothing do not conform well but sacrifices the separation of limbs. I will be fiddling around with outline a little more. I've slacked off with the environments. I really need to focus on it as soon as i get my character art style finalized.

Every from the water, shadows and to the color of clothing/skin has truly enlightened me to aim for better results. Your ramble was not in vain.

Godzilla

Godzilla by tkdrobert

• Starlaw said:
    Starlaw said:

Thank you for the well thought out feedback and compliments. Your words are truly appreciated and well valued. 

You surely have a keen eye for details. Yes the aspect ratio of the girl is slightly scaled across the x axis. I really want the characters to demonstrate many sizes and proportions. It was a bit of experimentation. 

I completely agree about the outlining on the skin and clothing texture. It benefits me when seams of clothing do not conform well but sacrifices the separation of limbs. I will be fiddling around with outline a little more. I've slacked off with the environments. I really need to focus on it as soon as i get my character art style finalized.

Every from the water, shadows and to the color of clothing/skin has truly enlightened me to aim for better results. Your ramble was not in vain.

Thank you so much! Sometimes I worry that I go off into too much detail. I'm very intrigued by what I've seen so far and I'm really looking forward to seeing more!

• tkdrobert said:

Godzilla

Godzilla by tkdrobert

Okay... I LOVE LOVE LOVE Godzilla! This is a really fun image. Water splashes could be a bit bigger and the ray probably need more glow, but you already knew that. I'm just glad you posted the Big G. I haven't seen a render of him in ages and it made me smile!

• mmitchell_houstonmmitchell_houston Posts: 2,472
    edited November 2018

This is my first pass at a character design for an upcoming comic book project (yes, I'm still technically working on a different comic and I really do hate trying to juggle two projects at once). This comic is actually written by someone else and it is a sequel, which means I need to have the character approved by the author and it needs to sort of fit the appearance of the character that was established in part one. Fortunately, I don't have to duplicate that style.

The figure is Michael 4 with both the Elite and Morphs++ loaded. His body is Adonis: 1 and ChestSize: 0.33. I'm also using the wonderful M4 Face Morphs Vol. 5 (I used Rick at 0.75) for the face. As a first pass, it's not too bad. I do think the nose is too big and I want the chin to be a little stronger. I've already started on an updated design and I should have something to show for it soon.

The usual production process applies: Poser renders cleaned up in Photoshop and composited in Manga Studio 5 EX (aka Clip Studio Paint).

Arton_Design_1_lg.jpg
    1000 x 820 - 414K
    Post edited by mmitchell_houston on
    tkdrobert said:

Godzilla

Godzilla by tkdrobert

Okay... I LOVE LOVE LOVE Godzilla! This is a really fun image. Water splashes could be a bit bigger and the ray probably need more glow, but you already knew that. I'm just glad you posted the Big G. I haven't seen a render of him in ages and it made me smile!

I loved Godzilla movies growing up.  I’ve been wanting to do a render of him for some time.  Getting the atmomic last right is hard.  What you see here was done inside DAZ, but I coudn’t get the glow or exact effect I wanted.  Getting the scale of Godzilla down is hard too, because reference videos vary.  I’ll probably come back to him at some point and do a Godzilla vs another monster.

This discussion has been closed.