More Non-photorealisitic Renders (NPR II)

Comments

• tkdrobert said:

Both LineRender9000 and Sketchy are on sale today.  Any recoomendations? 

HIGHLY recommend LineRender9000. It's what i've been using in all of my recent toon renders.

[Click here for gallery page]

[Click here for gallery page]

If you do get it, I have a quick piece of advice: use Shader Mixer to make a "normals" camera.

You see, LR9000 comes with some special cameras that can be used to help generate better toon outlines. One of these is the "edge blend" camera, which you can see on pages 13 and 14 of the documentation: http://docs.daz3d.com/lib/exe/fetch.php/public/read_me/index/34653/34653_linerender-9000-user-guide.pdf

In my opinion, it's the best of the included cameras to use when using the LineRenderer. However, one of the first things I did when I got LR9000 was that I quickly cobbled together an extra camera in Shader Mixer that rendered out normals (iirc, all I did was load the existing edge blend camera into shader mixer and replace the edge blend node with one of the normal based nodes, though I can't remember which). I then do two outline passes, one edge blend based and one normals based, and then combine them together. I tend to get far more detailed outlines that way, and I tend to only need minor postwork to get rid of some unnessecary lines.

All of my early LR9000 renders (such as the shirtless man i've attached down there) were done using the included "edge blend" camera and my cobbled together "normals" camera, but in my more recent ones (such as those Sakura 8 ones up there) i've been experimenting with surface shaders that give me a little more control over the outlines I get.

For me, LineRenderer 9000 is definitely a game-changer.

If I could nominate you for President of ProTips I would nominate you for President of ProTips.

I'm still playing with the settings butso far I'm getting far better results than before. Thanks!

• tkdroberttkdrobert Posts: 3,533

Samurai Girl by tkdrobert

I'm mostly happy with how this came out, but I think I should've done a more dramatic/exciting pose.  Rendered in DAZ3D, 3delight.  I used LineRender9000, Visual Style Shaders, and pwToon.  The last one was used very little.  Post-work done in Photoshop and Clip Paint Studio.

• vrba79vrba79 Posts: 1,297
    edited September 2018

This scheming creature will be more than happy to grant your wish for a price, but he's the practical sort. I mean, you can't go down to the bank and cash a soul...but make no mistake, he's not one to be double crossed.
    Just remember to be very very specific. No refunds. No redos.

Another on of my PWToon renders with some minimal photoshop postwork.

The character is a G1 male, but with certain G1 female facial morphs, to give him a more anime pretty boy quality. One of my favorite things about G1 is that you can us Unimesh 4 textures with ease. The eyes are from an old anime eyes pack I bought when Aiko and Hiro 4 were still the main stylized figures.

Post edited by vrba79 on
  • I love what you've done with these images @GiGi_7, particularly the girls in green dresses. Very striking smiley

Are they done with Visual Shader or pwToon?

Outline is toony cam pro. Shader is mine in develop.
  • MollytabbyMollytabby Posts: 1,159

Thank you @Gigi_7 

Those shaders look really good :-)

• Is this Poser or Daz Studio? If it's DS, what settings/cameras did you use?

Daz studio. Only toony cam pro as camera for outlines. Shader in develop. Light is a basic distant light.
  • mmitchell_houstonmmitchell_houston Posts: 2,472
    edited September 2018
    GiGi_7 said:

Is this Poser or Daz Studio? If it's DS, what settings/cameras did you use?

Daz studio. Only toony cam pro as camera for outlines. Shader in develop. Light is a basic distant light.

Thanks.i'm very impressed with what you did here.

Where can I get Toony Cam Pro? I can't find it here or at R'osity.

Post edited by mmitchell_houston on
    edited September 2018

Dark Knight Patrol by tkdrobert

Done with standard 3Delight shaders.  Rendered in 3Delight with LineRender9000.  Sky, bat-signal, and line touch-ups done in Clip Paint Studio.  All other post-work done in Photoshop with Topaz filters.

Post edited by tkdrobert on
  • ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,861
    edited September 2018

Looks great, tkdrobert. I have not used 3Delight for ages, but todays aweShading Kit 1.0 for Daz Studio

bring back my attention to it. I would probably do not attempt to render hair in 3Delight, though.

Post edited by Artini on
    Artini said:

Looks great, tkdrobert. I have not used 3Delight for ages, but todays aweShading Kit 1.0 for Daz Studio

bring back my attention to it. I would probably do not attempt to render hair in 3Delight, though.

Thanks Artini.  I find 3Delight works very well for npr images.  Setting up the lighting is more difficult than IRAY though, IMHO.

•  

I can't find Camera Magic: ToonyCam Pro in the DAZ Store, Was this product vaulted?

A pretty good option is LineRender9000 https://www.daz3d.com/linerender9000

I don't own this product because purchase in foreign is almost imposible to me, but I believe this works under the same principle for ToonyCam, and this have more utilities.

GiGi_7 said:

I can't find Camera Magic: ToonyCam Pro in the DAZ Store, Was this product vaulted?

I don't own this product because purchase in foreign is almost imposible to me, but I believe this works under the same principle for ToonyCam, and this have more utilities.

A couple of products have disappeared from the market over the last week or two.  I had Animated Man for G2M and ToonyCam in my wish list and now they are gone.

edited September 2018
    tkdrobert said:
    Artini said:

Thanks Artini.  I find 3Delight works very well for npr images.  Setting up the lighting is more difficult than IRAY though, IMHO.

Yeah and the toon rendering options for IRAY are less than ideal. Nothing works "out of the box" the way the solutions for 3Delight do.

Post edited by vrba79 on
  • tkdrobert said:
    GiGi_7 said:

A couple of products have disappeared from the market over the last week or two.  I had Animated Man for G2M and ToonyCam in my wish list and now they are gone.

I'm hoping those show up on another site soon.

• vrba79 said:

This scheming creature will be more than happy to grant your wish for a price, but he's the practical sort. I mean, you can't go down to the bank and cash a soul...but make no mistake, he's not one to be double crossed.

The character is a G1 male, but with certain G1 female facial morphs, to give him a more anime pretty boy quality. One of my favorite things about G1 is that you can us Unimesh 4 textures with ease. The eyes are from an old anime eyes pack I bought when Aiko and Hiro 4 were still the main stylized figures.

Even before reading your description, I was noticing the very pink skin and evil look. So I totally got the "devil" message from his design and expression. That's always a good thing! The design is very good, and I do like that you referenced those old Aiko eyes. I use some old Anime Eyes in my work, too.

• Don't know if anyone cares to check on this, but I have been documenting my work on my comic project over at my blog: https://mikemitchellonline.blogspot.com/2018/09/days-gone-project-contents.html

It is work safe and non-monitized (no ads). As I get back into the swing of things with working on my comic story, I'm also taking time to update the blog so I can talk about my steps, decisions and practices as I sort out how to use all these great digital tools to make comics.

vrba79 said:

Even before reading your description, I was noticing the very pink skin and evil look. So I totally got the "devil" message from his design and expression. That's always a good thing! The design is very good, and I do like that you referenced those old Aiko eyes. I use some old Anime Eyes in my work, too.

Thanks. His name is Guy Lachance. That set of eyes is probably my favorite anime set. So much better and cleaner looking than some of the newer sets.
  • vrba79 said:
    vrba79 said:

Thanks. His name is Guy Lachance. That set of eyes is probably my favorite anime set. So much better and cleaner looking than some of the newer sets.

That's a pretty cool name. Have you considered this spelling:

Guy Le'Chance or Guy L'chance

Just a thought...

• tkdrobert said:

Done with standard 3Delight shaders.  Rendered in 3Delight with LineRender9000.  Sky, bat-signal, and line touch-ups done in Clip Paint Studio.  All other post-work done in Photoshop with Topaz filters.

I like the shadows and street set up. The stark black cape is a little hit or miss with me, to be honest. At one moment I love the way it sets him off because of the high contrast... the next moment I think it could use some highlights. I'm totally wishy-washy on it. I think his outfit is a little shiny, but that's okay. However, if ever there was time to go with the yellow bat logo, this is it. 

All of those things are just nitpicking. But I do have one that is bugging me: it looks like he has a moustache. I think you really need to touch-up his upper lip.

Oh well, enough of my barrage of semi-connected thoughts (Friday night and I'm sipping bourbon before hitting the hay). But I am still see a lot of progression down the path to you achieving a solid style that should work for a graphic novel. Keep it up.

• tkdrobert said:

I'm mostly happy with how this came out, but I think I should've done a more dramatic/exciting pose.  Rendered in DAZ3D, 3delight.  I used LineRender9000, Visual Style Shaders, and pwToon.  The last one was used very little.  Post-work done in Photoshop and Clip Paint Studio.

Dang, man! You did it! This is solid work. Yes, the pose is dull and stiff, but wowza! The outlines and coloring are FANTASTIC. Really solid work. So, having said that, I'm going to hit some things I think you need to do (or at least think about):

• Her face is a little odd. I think adding some red/pink to her lips would help.
    • Look really close at her bare midriff: there is a tiny sliver of lighter skin between her belly and her top. This is just odd.
    • Gray pants need darker shadows. The shape is fine, but just a little darker to help define her shape and better blend in with her environment.

That's it for my OCD tonight. This is REALLY good. Way to go!

tkdrobert said:

I like the shadows and street set up. The stark black cape is a little hit or miss with me, to be honest. At one moment I love the way it sets him off because of the high contrast... the next moment I think it could use some highlights. I'm totally wishy-washy on it. I think his outfit is a little shiny, but that's okay. However, if ever there was time to go with the yellow bat logo, this is it. 

All of those things are just nitpicking. But I do have one that is bugging me: it looks like he has a moustache. I think you really need to touch-up his upper lip.

Oh well, enough of my barrage of semi-connected thoughts (Friday night and I'm sipping bourbon before hitting the hay). But I am still see a lot of progression down the path to you achieving a solid style that should work for a graphic novel. Keep it up.

The mustache is a shadow that I considered removing, but left it.  Buggs me a little to.  The shinyness looked better than the flat alternative and it helped with the contract, especially on the gloves.  The cape looked very flat until I added some 3Delight textures to it.  I think I lost some of the hightlights in post-work. 

This is the best Batman I've done using only Poser/Daz models/assets.  I'm especially proud of the bat signal that I created myself in post-work.

tkdrobert said:

Dang, man! You did it! This is solid work. Yes, the pose is dull and stiff, but wowza! The outlines and coloring are FANTASTIC. Really solid work. So, having said that, I'm going to hit some things I think you need to do (or at least think about):

• Her face is a little odd. I think adding some red/pink to her lips would help.
    • Look really close at her bare midriff: there is a tiny sliver of lighter skin between her belly and her top. This is just odd.
    • Gray pants need darker shadows. The shape is fine, but just a little darker to help define her shape and better blend in with her environment.

That's it for my OCD tonight. This is REALLY good. Way to go!

The boring pose is by biggest regret on this one, but it's one of the best Anime renders I've done so far.  Adding some color to the lips would be easy,  I erased some of the lines in her face and eyes, but after watching a little Gundam UC last night (netfliz), I realized it might have been a mistake.  I was paying more attention to the art then the story LOL. 

• E.BruE.Bru Posts: 180

Here is mine:

E.Bru said:

Here is mine:

Very colorful.

• E.BruE.Bru Posts: 180
    tkdrobert said:
    E.Bru said:

Here is mine:

Very colorful.

I like strong colours and complementary colors in pictures. :)

vrba79 said:
    vrba79 said:

Just a thought...

vrba79 said:
    vrba79 said:

Just a thought...

I did, but Lachance just spoke to me more.

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,861
    edited September 2018

I have just tested OpenGL rendering with Cartoon Shaded in Daz Studio and it creates some interesting effects.

I have put the render into ComiPo! and make an image there.

Zelarian03_001.jpg
    1074 x 1517 - 325K
    Post edited by Artini on

Gundam by tkdrobert

The Gundam is an XPS model courtesy of grazekai. I posed it in XNALara then exported it out.  Imported into Daz3D and rendered it in 3Delight using pwToon and LineRender9000.  Post-work done in Clip Paint Studio (Manga 5) and Photoshop

• tkdrobert said:

Gundam by tkdrobert

The Gundam is an XPS model courtesy of grazekai. I posed it in XNALara then exported it out.  Imported into Daz3D and rendered it in 3Delight using pwToon and LineRender9000.  Post-work done in Clip Paint Studio (Manga 5) and Photoshop

This is REALLY cool. There's on a few tiny places that would make me question whether this was CG or hand drawn. VERY solid work.

• Artini said:

I have just tested OpenGL rendering with Cartoon Shaded in Daz Studio and it creates some interesting effects.

I have put the render into ComiPo! and make an image there.

The frame effect is a bit distracting, but nevertheless, you do have some interesting underlying tones in the render. I suspect this could clean up quite nicely with a little post-processing.

This discussion has been closed.