More Non-photorealisitic Renders (NPR II)

Comments

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,861
    edited October 2018

Thanks for the comments, mmitchell_houston. I was surprised to see something useful coming from OpenGL rendering in Daz Studio.

From time to time, I open ComiPo! and see what can I do with it.

I have never attempted to make any comics myself, but I have read them quite often, when I were younger.

There is a nice Dr Who comics package on HumbleBundle, so may be I will give it a go.

Post edited by Artini on
  • Artini said:

Thanks for the comments, mmitchell_houston. I was surprised to see something useful coming from OpenGL rendering in Daz Studio.
    From time to time, I open ComiPo! and see what can I do with it.
    I have never attempted to make any comics myself, but I have read them quite often, when I were younger.
    There is a nice Dr Who comics package on HumbleBundle, so may be I will give it a go.

There are a lot of comics mixed in with my reading. They can be a lot of fun.

You ought to give the Open GL a little more of a shot. It's not fantastic, but it can yield some interesting results every now and then.

• MartirillaMartirilla Posts: 173
    edited October 2018

cat

Poser 11, a quickie with three renders combined.

* Comic Book Preview (inklines only, flat lighting, textures 'burned off'),
    * colour flats (no ink lines, just the flat colours under a flat IBL light) which are then filtered in Photoshop,
    * and a Cartoon w/Line Preview render.

The Cartoon w/Lines render wasn't ideal.  Which meant some hand-inking of the outline later on, in Photoshop.

I used the 'Cartoon w/Line' render in Preview, and then knocked out the grey in Photoshop, because my usual Toon Outlines-only render in Firefly was not useable.  I later figured that problem out, though - strip off all the bump maps!  Firefly was trying to 'toon outline' each and every bump! Stripping the bump maps en-masse can be done via XS - Extended Shader Manager (with its Toon + Reset Bump).  Why Toon Outline, when we now have Comic Book preview?  Because it gives you all the lines, and thus lets you selectively fill gaps in the Comic Book render's inking.

I also realised that one can render a Hair Room layer which is useful.  Poser doesn't require the likes of LAMH (DAZ, $50), and you can fairly easily grow hair on anything once you get the hang of the half-dozen steps of the workflow.  By then hiding the character or prop from the camera, you're left with just the hairs in the hair layer.  I actually wonder if one could 'cross-hatch' the hairs, and effectively get a fine cross-hatching ink layer, for later partial erasing in Photoshop!

The figure is the Hivewire Cat + Catula morphs.  Regrettably the Catula morphs are DAZ-only, but a simple OBJ export swiftly sent the morphed and textured cat over to Poser for tooning.

Post edited by Martirilla on
  • tkdroberttkdrobert Posts: 3,533

cat

* colour flats (no ink lines, just the flat colours under a flat IBL light) which are then filtered in Photoshop,

The Cartoon w/Lines render wasn't ideal.  Which meant some hand-inking of the outline later on, in Photoshop.

I used the 'Cartoon w/Line' render in Preview, and then knocked out the grey in Photoshop, because my usual Toon Outlines-only render in Firefly was not useable.  I later figured that problem out, though - strip off all the bump maps!  Firefly was trying to 'toon outline' each and every bump! Stripping the bump maps en-masse can be done via XS - Extended Shader Manager (with its Toon + Reset Bump).  Why Toon Outline, when we now have Comic Book preview?  Because it gives you all the lines, and thus lets you selectively fill gaps in the Comic Book render's inking.

I also realised that one can render a Hair Room layer which is useful.  Poser doesn't require the likes of LAMH (DAZ, $50), and you can fairly easily grow hair on anything once you get the hang of the half-dozen steps of the workflow.  By then hiding the character or prop from the camera, you're left with just the hairs in the hair layer.  I actually wonder if one could 'cross-hatch' the hairs, and effectively get a fine cross-hatching ink layer, for later partial erasing in Photoshop!

The figure is the Hivewire Cat + Catula morphs.  Regrettably the Catula morphs are DAZ-only, but a simple OBJ export swiftly sent the morphed and textured cat over to Poser for tooning.

That looks great.

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,890

PWToon

Alexi with 25% Toon Generations, Harpswood Trail.

Centaur in the Forest.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 665K

Another Gundam

Gundam II by tkdrobert

Mostly PWToon, with some of that freebie geoshell outline to handle some of the bits that flood out.

Toon Docks.jpg
    1300 x 1000 - 1M
    edited October 2018

Toying around with yet another concept for Alex Riker, my main character/team leader.  I didn't correct all the issues and I totally forgot to add shadows to the lights.  I'm more interested in feedback on the concept vs the previous ones.

Riker Concepts 4  by tkdrobert

Post edited by tkdrobert on

PWToon. Woo.

House in the Woods.jpg
    1300 x 1000 - 412K
    Oso3D said:

PWToon. Woo.

I used pwToon in my concept pic above.  Now that I’m getting use to it, I’m really loving it with Line Render.  If LineRender misses a line pwToon usually picks it up.

• MollytabbyMollytabby Posts: 1,159

Has anyone been able to get pwToon to work in the beta version of Daz Studio? I've tried a couple of times and the script doesn't apply. The last time using the latest update. VSS seems to work OK though.

Has anyone been able to get pwToon to work in the beta version of Daz Studio? I've tried a couple of times and the script doesn't apply. The last time using the latest update. VSS seems to work OK though.

I never use Beta versions.  If you are referring to the lastest Beta, you should report that.  I’l be really pissed if they break pwToon in the next update.

I’ve only given it a couple of tries as l only downloaded the beta so that I could try using a second version of Daz Studio to set up scenes while I render with the current version. So far I’ve barely used it. I just wanted to find out if any one else had the same problem before Inraised it. It could be something l’m doing wrong.

If I have to do compositing, I usually revert to using my own Oso Toon. What I like about PWToon is being able to do a lot all in one render.

I like the two tone color I can get in pwtoon. I have yet to find a way to achieve the same effect in Iray without postwork.

Oso3D said:

If I have to do compositing, I usually revert to using my own Oso Toon. What I like about PWToon is being able to do a lot all in one render.

I like the two tone color I can get in pwtoon. I have yet to find a way to achieve the same effect in Iray without postwork.

I didn’t like the transition between light and shadow, until I was told how to tweak it.  Now I like it much better.

• cat

Wowza. You just blew my mind with your thought about rendering cross hatching with hair. Gotta admit, that is something I would never have thought of. In my Poser work, I've ditched strand-based hair and have gone with geometry-only hair (as much as I can). This often means adjusting old Poser 4 hair to fit on my characters, even going back to V3 and M3 hair (removing some transmaps as needed to get crisp edges). On my next project I actually have need for some sort of hair that moves in a flowing manner. Maybe I should go back to the Hair Room and see what I can do.

As for bump maps, I learned early in my Poser comic work that, for the most part, "bump maps are not your friends." There are instances where they can create nice effects, but in general they cause many ( MANY ) more problems than they solve. I usually start my new figures with an all-white material that strips out everything in my figures before I start work on them. That means no hidden bump maps (it also turns the eyelashes transparent). A very useful tool and technique that works for me because my work is usually in b&w.

Why Toon Outline, when we now have Comic Book preview? 
    What exactly are you referring to here? I would love to find a way to fill in those gaps along the edge of my Comic Book Preview renders.

Work final figure, btw, is very cute! I really like it and could easily see him frolicking around in a comic book story or animation of some sort (nice background, too).

PS: It's great to have another Poser user here in this forum!

• Oso3D said:

PWToon. Woo.

You achieved some interesting effects here that look like they are heaing in a great direction for an animated cel look. Moving forward, I suggest killing the bump maps on his clothing – they are providing a texture that doesn't seem quite like it fits with the rest of the scene. Also, there are obviously some contrast issues between the house and the trees, but overall I do like the "bones" of what I see here.

The landscape is interesting... I think it needs some tweaks, but you really did got a good look out of it in this render.

Keep it up. I'm interested in seeing what comes next.

• kenmokenmo Posts: 895
    tkdrobert said:

ISS

International Space Station by tkdrobert

Very nice...

kenmo said:
    tkdrobert said:

ISS

International Space Station by tkdrobert

Very nice...

Oh thanks.  I did that one after I for back from staffing a Space course for Civil Air Patrol cadets  .

Sammagi said:

Hey folks, how the Summer?

I made some good money and cash selling physical copies of my first comic book, Journey to Aaru. Its a story set in a grim future, where 2 Egyptian Techies guide a mysterous android to his "afterlife." Its a story of consequences, the pursuit of dreams, artifical intelligence, and most importantly, the human heart. The story is broken down to 13 chapters, mixed with Traditional, digital, and a now miminal use of Daz3d for environments and props. With the funding, feedback, and praises of the comic, I will continue on until the story is finish.

Here are 4 major characters, one more on the way!

Looks great.

I agree 100%...Looks awesome!!!!

tkdrobert said:

Cocky Smuggler

Cocky Smuggler

Love it...

• AlmightyQUESTAlmightyQUEST Posts: 1,961
    edited October 2018

Something I've been putting together. It was intended to get some practice in sequential images using some of the shader presets. Originally it was supposed to be a quick exercise and it ended up growing into something that took a lot longer than planned. The process will need some revision if I ever intend to take this further, but I'm generally liking how the end result looks.

All pwToon, minimal composition work in photoshop.

(Post 1/2)

test_comic_page_01.png
    1032 x 1575 - 1M
    test_comic_page_02.png
    1032 x 1575 - 2M
    test_comic_page_03.png
    1032 x 1575 - 2M
    test_comic_page_04.png
    1032 x 1575 - 1M
    Post edited by AlmightyQUEST on
  • (Post 2/2, splitting it up as it seems to be working better for the upload)

test_comic_page_05.png
    1032 x 1575 - 2M
    test_comic_page_06.png
    1032 x 1575 - 2M
    test_comic_page_07.png
    1032 x 1575 - 1M
    test_comic_page_08.png
    1032 x 1575 - 2M
  • Oso3D said:

Mostly PWToon, with some of that freebie geoshell outline to handle some of the bits that flood out.

I like the colors on this a lot. And the lines turned out well, I think I got that freebie but hadn't been using it, lines are always tricky in the renderer. Will need to try it out.

tkdrobert said:

Another Gundam

Gundam II by tkdrobert

I always like your renders, but wanted to mention on this one in particular I like the color variations on the "white" metal parts. Keeps it very interesting without being overwhelming texture.

tkdrobert said:

Toying around with yet another concept for Alex Riker, my main character/team leader.  I didn't correct all the issues and I totally forgot to add shadows to the lights.  I'm more interested in feedback on the concept vs the previous ones.

Riker Concepts 4  by tkdrobert

Glad to see you have been having success with pwToon. My initial reaction was that it looks consistent with the style of your previous artwork, it fits in well, so it looks like you've done a good job of getting pwToon to behave how you want. I want to take a little more time later to compare with some of your previous ones to give more thoughts on this.

• (Post 2/2, splitting it up as it seems to be working better for the upload)

Wow. Nice job. Very good work with the sequential art. You did a very good job of telling this story.

Still tweaking. It's hard to resist using textures but the look needs to be CLEAN

Screyan sorcerer2.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 122K
    edited October 2018

Ghost in the Shell: The Major

Ghost in the Shell: The Major by tkdrobert

I tweaked my Visual Style Shaders settings.  I used VSS on the skin, gloves, and jacket.  I used pwToon on her hair, gun, and other clothing.  I, of course, used LineRender9000 for the linework.  The background was created using Daz assests.  Only the green Hexagons were added in post work.  I enhanced the colors in photoshop.  I also used a filter called Tonal Contrast in the free plugin Nix Collection/Color Effex Pro 4.  Hope you all like it.  

Stunning image @tkdrobert! Thank you for detailing how you approached it. I really love her hair.

edited October 2018

And another... getting better at resisting the impulse to keep textures. ;)

(Druid vs. undead)

Forest Alive.png
    1300 x 1000 - 2M
    Post edited by Oso3D on
    edited October 2018

Stunning image @tkdrobert! Thank you for detailing how you approached it. I really love her hair.

Thank you.  The hair is part of a free Ghost in the Shell package available over at Rendo (https://www.renderosity.com/mod/freestuff/the-major-for-g3f---100-free/79521), for G3 and G8.  I used a G3F to G1 clone to autofit it to the model.  FYI, the autofit did not work on the jacket, gloves, or boots, so I used a subsitute (Helix 5 for Genesis 3 Female(s). 

This discussion has been closed.