Novica & Forum Members Tips & Product Reviews Pt 10

Comments

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,865

Ah, Madam Secretary is indeed a television show, one of the few I watch. She's gutsy and there's some nice humor in the show too, amid the serious issues. I like the sarcasm too. You can always watch on the computer if yours has a decent download speed. It's cbs.com 

• LlynaraLlynara Posts: 4,770
    edited December 2017

Ooh, I love me some accents! 

@Novica - I have tested Ekaterina side by side with default G3F and you're right, the morphs change very little when added. I sat there and removed them, then readded them several times to see the change. It's only slight. The waist gets bigger when applying the body. The figure it a smidge taller. The head morphs don't appear to change at all. I also played with the sliders in the shaping tab and got the same results.

Note: I'm testing these on a new computer with not much else loaded, so there's nothing to interfere with this character.

Her skin is very nice, but the morphs are barely there. She would look good using morph packs, but that's besides the point. When we're buying a character, we expect significant changes from the default base figure. That isn't the case here. (click and zoom in for more detail.)

Ekaterina next to G3F: 

EKaterina next to G3F wearing Ekaterina's skin (but not the morphs)- can't tell the difference! 

Ekaterina vs G3.png
    2000 x 2000 - 2M
    Ekaterina vs G3_2.png
    2000 x 2000 - 2M
    Post edited by Llynara on
    edited December 2017

Thanks @llynara. Very thorough. (And congrats on your new computer!)  I couldn't believe it when I saw it. (Edit- btw, the spelling is Ekatrina. I know, I made the same mistake when I first typed it and had to look. We need this to show up when people search for it. They have a right to know this product has very, very limited morphs!) 

So HOW DID THIS PASS QA?

Post edited by Novica on
  • Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,570
    edited December 2017

Qa doesn’t seem to care too much if figures are quite similar to each other. And they also  don’t appear to rigorously test either.

Post edited by Serene Night on
    edited December 2017

Ah, I'm thinking of Ekaterina, the Russian Olympic figure skater, who this character looks like. LOL I didn't realize the character's name was Ekatrina. Slight dyslexia going on there!

Edited to add: Thanks, I'm loving my new computer but the move is painful, DAZ-wise. My old runtime is nearly a terabyte! I don't want to move it all, so I'm starting from scratch on a lot of things. 

Also, I'm working on a promo for Malia by Silver over at Rendo. This character is really stunning and takes light very well on her skin. I'll be happy to post the image here once it goes live.

Post edited by Llynara on
    Llynara said:

Also, I'm working on a promo for Malia by Silver over at Rendo. This character is really stunning and takes light very well on her skin. I'll be happy to post the image here once it goes live.

Looking forward to it!

•  And they also  don’t appear to rigorously test either.

My view is that they should be the last test group, not the only one to do testing.

• StormlyghtStormlyght Posts: 666
    edited December 2017

Has anyone tested/rendered/reviewed P3D Chandra? I thought there was a mention of her on one of the early Product Reviews threads (I searched thread 7 and 8) but couldn't find anything. I ask because I purchased her this week and did a quick render of her. Her lips are two-tone in the renders I've done. Even the renders I've done with lipstick show a two-tone look. Did anyone else, who has Chandra, note this? I really love her morphs but I can't now unsee the two tone look. I've attached two close-up cropped renders to show what I'm describing.  

Trish

chandra test crop 2.png
    446 x 579 - 441K
    chandra test crop 1.png
    400 x 519 - 376K
    Post edited by Stormlyght on
    edited December 2017

Checklists and multiple stages of testing are desirable. So if someone tests something then there is accountability. There is no point in having a testing pool that doesn't test and render characters from every angle and test the morphs and bends, the add-ons and extra parts, and test the various installers to make sure it installs and renders properly. Texture issues don't always show in the viewport, so it is essential to render the figure complelty to make sure there are no seams or errors.

An editor should be engaged to make sure there are no typos in the copy or the ad as well as studio directory information is conformed to. 

If a product is released with a error then this should become an experience to make sure no further products come out with the same problem.

Post edited by Serene Night on

I've said it so many times- CHECKLISTS. Each type of product should have a list and the reviewer has to sign off on it, after checkmarking and doing every blasted thing on that list. For characters there should definitely be a checkmark for substantial changes in head morphs. Totally agree QA is the last tester, not the first. And it's their JOB to help the vendors. The vendors don't want glitches in their products and QA should get their game going. 

Regarding Chandra- here's the Facebook that shows more of her, and it's very noticeable. I just went into my external harddrive files all the way back to 2016 and not seeing a render, so I must have named it after the hair or the set she was in (and no way to sort through thousands of renders.) I do see what you mean about the lips.

• Novica said:

Regarding Chandra- here's the Facebook that shows more of her, and it's very noticeable. I just went into my external harddrive files all the way back to 2016 and not seeing a render, so I must have named it after the hair or the set she was in (and no way to sort through thousands of renders.) I do see what you mean about the lips.

Thank you for looking. I think I will keep her and just edit the lip materials in photoshop. I like her overall.

Trish

• Novica said:

I've said it so many times- CHECKLISTS. Each type of product should have a list and the reviewer has to sign off on it, after checkmarking and doing every blasted thing on that list. For characters there should definitely be a checkmark for substantial changes in head morphs. Totally agree QA is the last tester, not the first. And it's their JOB to help the vendors. The vendors don't want glitches in their products and QA should get their game going. 

I'm going to put on my content developer hat here and say it's not always easy to see how changes in a morph you're working on compare to the base figure unless you have an unmodified copy of the face (or body, or both) that you can overlay on it. That's how I do it in zBrush, and it's probably possible in other modeling tools as well.

Yes, a content maker should provide a checklist to the beta testers, and if they find a problem, it should be fixed and sent to a different set of testers to verify the fixes, before submission to DAZ. DAZ should require, if they don't already, such documentation of the testing done, and should only need to have people test the installation packages they make.

• Novica said:

OT: Southern Vocabulary, Lesson One

For December, I thought I'd contribute to the holiday mood with some humor from a book I've owned since 1983. Just couldn't throw it away.  So check back in for some old timer vocabulary from the South. (My fav in this group is Asthma.) 

Aint: (A sister of one of your parents.) 
    Aint Maude is an old mayud, been kissed goodbye mower tayums than kissed goodnight.

Arn: (a mineral.) 
    Iffun it's of arn it don't break.

snip

Bone: (date of birth)
    I was bone in Georgia.

Brake: (building material)
    Ah larned math in a red brake school house.

Beeyun: (number after 999,999,999)
    A beeyun bees came afta me, I swear!

snip

Cram: (a felony or misdeamor)
    Cram sure don't pay around hare.

snip

Dowuz:  (location)
    Inside the house yew is indowuz. Go out and yer outdowuz.

snip

Dragon:  (exhausted)
    I wuz dragon my feet I wuz so tuckered out.

Dowen: (direction)
    If yew not goin' up, yew going dowen.

Okay, I snipped a few to specific terms I have to admit to having heard from time to time. Lol. Those are popular with some people I knew growing up in the southern part of the Appalachian Mountains. Not quite south, but close 'nuf.

Has anyone tested/rendered/reviewed P3D Chandra? I thought there was a mention of her on one of the early Product Reviews threads (I searched thread 7 and 8) but couldn't find anything. I ask because I purchased her this week and did a quick render of her. Her lips are two-tone in the renders I've done. Even the renders I've done with lipstick show a two-tone look. Did anyone else, who has Chandra, note this? I really love her morphs but I can't now unsee the two tone look. I've attached two close-up cropped renders to show what I'm describing.  

Trish

Oh wow, she's gorgeous! Don't know how I missed her, but adding to my wishlist.The two toned lips don't bother me at all. I think she looks great.

Southern Vocabulary, Lesson Two

Etch: (irritation of the skin)
    Luv is having an etch around the heart yew caint scratch.

Farm: (application)
    If yew want this job fill out this farm.

Favor: (thermometer reading)
    No wunder I'm hot. My favor is 101. 

Foured: (part of face between eyebrows and hairline)
    Yew can tell if you have a favor by feelin' your foured.

Fayer: (justice)
    All's fayer in luv and wower. 

Flarz: (blossoms)
    Bring flarz on your anniversary.

Fillings: (emotions)
    Yew hurt my fillings.

Farr: (combustion of heat and flame)
    Mah house got on farr. 

Flow: (bottom part of a room.)
    Ah fell out of bed and wound up on the flow.

Fems:  (movies)
    Yew going to Hollywood and be in fems?

Givitcheer: (hand it over)
    That ain't yours. Givitcheer.

Gumment: (constituted authority)
    A gumment takes your money fum yew.

Gahment:  (a deity speaking)
    Wunder what Gahment when he said...

Grain:  (color of lawn)
    Ah got so sick on moonshine ah nearly turned grain.

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

What happens when you put Ekatarina on top of The base character?  Just curious if anything would show up and by how much if they are literally on top of each other.  I don't have her or I would try it myself.

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,776
    edited December 2017
    Novica said:

I want you to see this. The Genesis 3 Female Base and Ekatrina without materials. Please click on and open the first two.  Click back and forth. I expected to see a uniquely morphed character.  (It is advertised as a character, not just a material product.) The miniscule changes in the head surprised me. I didn't even bother with the body. When I get a character I expect the head to change and become a different person!  

And then there's the materials. The last one shows the default makeup- and frankly, I don't like that harsh line of unblended eyeshadow, it looks unfinished to me. You might find that to be acceptable though, or, as usual, it may look different with other lighting. But here are the main things for me- 1.)  ordinary makeup is lacking, it's all fancy, patterned makeup. (Which is pretty to be honest.)  2. THE BIGGIE- THERE IS NO NATURAL LOOK,  you must use that prominent line default makeup.

Question is if it's actually a makeup or she's just supposed to look that way. Some people do look like that with dark areas around the eyes though it's usually because of an illness like kidney disease or whatever (whether that's acceptable in a character is open to discussion I guess). But I guess only the PA knows why it looks that way.

I've made a render with the eyes closed, it could look like they've copied the whole eye area from another texture rather than using a makeup. In any case it doesn't look good closeup IMO. Besides the eyes can't be closed completely, even if you turn off limits.

As for the head morph yea not much change, but she does look like in the promos, I guess that's what it's all about so as such there isn't really anything wrong IMO. I've seen something similar with other characters before. The body morph is quite different from the default G3F though.

Novica said:

There wasn't an Actor icon (I always use Content Library) so had to load the Genesis 3 Female then go to the folder and load the morphs/materials. See if it works for you, I'm always open to admitting to oopsies. I did this one twice, and if something seems wrong, I always do that.   Let me know what you find out. When you load the morphs, watch closely in the viewport and see if there's barely any change.

Actually there is an Actor icon, their characters just start with IST (Ekatrina).

ekatrina_eyes_closed.jpg
    1014 x 1041 - 616K
    Post edited by Taoz on
  • TaozTaoz Posts: 9,776
    edited December 2017

What happens when you put Ekatarina on top of The base character?  Just curious if anything would show up and by how much if they are literally on top of each other.  I don't have her or I would try it myself.

There are obvious differences but you have to change ZTranslate a bit to see them as G3F overlaps completely on the head by default.

ekatrina-g3f.jpg
    632 x 863 - 63K
    Post edited by Taoz on
    edited December 2017

Yeah, I found the Actor icon last night :)  when I did my overlay. I didn't move the G3F and as you said, she dominates it if she isn't moved. I would have posted this last night but suddenly my internet went down. "Maintenance" when I called in. Of course it wasn't announced. I hate that! 

EkatrinaGen3Top.jpg
    690 x 887 - 362K
    Post edited by Novica on
  • cismiccismic Posts: 629
    edited December 2017

Joseph KravisA work in progress image super moon. Model is Elvira from rendo same for the moon. A nice planetary tool kit. 

Super Moon Sexy.jpg
    3846 x 5000 - 2M
    Post edited by cismic on
  • NathNath Posts: 2,735

In case anyone wonders, today's male America outfit works quite well on G8F (in this case Kallisto). Had to apply smoothing and collision modifiers and a bit of breast cleavage morphs on the top, but that was it.

suit.png
    962 x 982 - 582K

I picked the superhero outfit up. Not fond of the harness but the rest looks good.

• NathNath Posts: 2,735

Of course the real test will be putting it on George... but not tonight.

• I picked up the Capt A outfit too, it looks quite nice and I have an idea for a Bucky/Cap render. I don't know if it matters to anyone who may be watching this thread, but it is Iray only.

The harness is probably to avoid copyright issues. Not that anyone seems to be following up on that. A ton of Captain America lookalikes. @nath  looks really nice!

No update on Eevie except to say through the Facebook Lost and Found Pets for my area, I've met two really nice people from neighborhoods across the street. It's so neat to drive down a street and see a guy walking along and to roll down the window and ask, "Are you Bill?" and he grins and says "Hello Cathie. I'm out looking for Eevie."  He's retired Navy, has a feral/stray cat colony of 18 cats- all with shots and neutered!  The neighbors are cat lovers and another neighbor at the end of the street also has 6 ferals/strays. 

Well, darn it - so I meet Bill, he's the one who we think saw Eevie on the crittercam Nov 17th and again last night, so while he went inside to get on the computer, I drove on down to a man's house who owns the large acreage next door to the woman where Eevie came up on the porch and looked in. While there, wouldn't you know it, the cat we think is Eevie showed up at Bill's house! I missed her by 8 minutes. She got scared and ran back into the woods. Good news is, looking at the webcam, it may indeed be her. This is going on 3 weeks so she is now even more skittish, but the webcam shows she is hanging around with the other cats, they are accepting her. So she's having the time of her life outside BUT freezing temps and rain (COLD RAIN) for Wed/Thurs so we're really trying to catch her. The lady next to Bill is out of town so it's quiet over there, and it's a nice covered back porch with outdoor couches, so Eevie can get out of the weather if that's her. 

But what really impresses me is how strangers who love animals are really going out of their way to watch for Eevie. That woman keeps her patio door drapes open until midnight and watches for her, Bill set up his webcam and goes frame by frame every night. Brian (who isn't home, is in Houston) said "Sure, go to the property anytime you want." Reminds you there are some nice people in the world. 

I go at 1am sometimes through that neighborhood, and it is really quiet but eerie when the fog rolls in. It's nice to get to know who is who and they know who I am so they won't be calling the police. Bill said to just park in his driveway if I want to check out the property next door. I'm starting to feel like I'll be sad when I no longer wander Brian's property, it's huge and goes down to a lovely creek, and part of it has woods. Very scenic. (And bears and night, coyotes, bobcats. So I don't go near that in the wee morning hours.)  If you wonder why I am not online, I'm Eevie-Looking. 

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

Sounds like you are making good progress in getting Evie home!

edited December 2017

Okay, check your emails from Ati.  Skin Masters for Monique 6 and Darius 6 Bundle is 70% so $10.49 then lower with your rewards.  A 30% Loyalty, it goes to 82% or only $6.12  Here's Luci45's render.   NOTE: 3DL ONLY.

Post edited by Novica on
  • firewardenfirewarden Posts: 1,459

That's so cool! Awesome that you have such nice folks helping you out. Praying you have Eevie at home with you soon. The cold is sweeping in here in the Panhandle of Texas also. 

• BlueIreneBlueIrene Posts: 1,318

I'm so pleased to hear the encouraging news on the Eevie front. I hope she's very soon back home with you where she belongs.

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,201

Good luck with the Eevie search - you sound like you are getting somewhere at last.

This discussion has been closed.