The No Complaint too Trivial Complaint Thread

Comments

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

think this will be the one.  would rather a radeon graphic card, but not in the options

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=9SIABFS5J77535

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,517
    edited February 2018

...hope you get it soon before both memory and GPU costs rise any further.

Once I get all the upgrades done and network the two systems I have together, I'll have 20 processor threads and 56 GB of memory for Carrara rendering. Not bad.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • Mistara said:

think this will be the one.  would rather a radeon graphic card, but not in the options

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=9SIABFS5J77535

I would highly recommend you upgrade it to at least one with the GTX 1050ti which has 4GB VRAM instead of the 2 GB VRAM of the GTX 1050.  https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=9SIABFS5J77342

It is only $80 more and 2 GB VRAM isn't enough for much of the IRAY scenes in DAZ. When I was only using a GTX 970 with 4 GB VRAM I felt very limited

edited February 2018

...a GPU card is not necessary for Carrara rendering which is what she primarily works with.  To use Iray in Carrara requires a 580$ outlay for Octane and the plugin.

• NVIATWASNVIATWAS Posts: 1,242
    Mistara said:

so lookin forward to a hot cuppa tea, but too hot to sippss yet

mann, how long it takes em to send out those tax refunds

is it time for the groundhog?  whats the winter prognosis?

The prognosis is that ground hog makes good burgers!

...indeed, as well as good burritos, which I will be making tonight.

ps1borg said:

Ooooh, burritos rock!!!!! As long as they're not made of burro... :-|

Lent starts on valentine's this year?

• kyoto kid said:

...a GPU card is not necessary for Carrara rendering which is what she primarily works with.  To use Iray in Carrara requires a 580$ outlay for Octane and the plugin.

Oh, OK. But if she also uses DS Iray at all for rendering or may want to in the future then getting the one with the GTX 1050ti would still be a good idea and $80 isn't much of a price difference for a computer in that price bracket.

edited February 2018

...with W10 as the OS, even a 4GB Nvidia GPU is insufficient as due to WDDM 2.1 (Windows Display Driver Model), it would only have about 3.3 GB available for rendering.   Only the Titan and Quadro series allow switching off of WDDM to access the card's total VRAM for rendering.  Maybe that will change with the next generation Volta GTX cards, we'll see (and hopefully by then, prices come back down to earth).

Now granted this is refurbished, but sounds like a nice render box for Carrara (40 cores total) and even do a good number with Iray in CPU mode with an effective total core frequency rating of 112 GHz (compared to 48 for the Ryzen 1700).  As configured it is almost 200$ less than the Cybertron PC.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=9SIA4GH6KA1317

If I had the extra 1,137$ for purchasing a system I'd be considering it myself (those CPUs alone originally retailed for over 2,000$ each).

• ps1borgps1borg Posts: 12,776

Mistara said:
    DanaTA said:
    ps1borg said:

our PVR seems to have recorded 122 episodes of The Good Wife in a week. 

Must have been a marathon!  (watch-a-thon?)

Dana

the good wife sounds like it's horror 

Certainly wasn’t about what I thought it was about when I saw the title OscarMike Golf :)

Mistara said:

formatting usb drive, hopin to get a 2nd life out of it, takin forEVerrr

carrara physics, so kewl  if only knew how to do a slinky

Slinky must be do-able I seen  demos over the years :)

Mistara said:

One year many calendars :) 

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,139
    edited February 2018
    NVIATWAS said:
    ps1borg said:

Little burros.  Too cute.  But big burros, OK. devil

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • ps1borg said:
    Mistara said:

They can't even decide on what a year is, there are at least three.  Either based on the sun or the moon, or the stars.  At this point in my life I can tell them that a year is exactly the time it takes me to walk to the post office. sad

ps1borg said:
    Mistara said:

formatting usb drive, hopin to get a 2nd life out of it, takin forEVerrr

carrara physics, so kewl  if only knew how to do a slinky

Slinky must be do-able I seen  demos over the years :)

slinkeeeee

kyoto kid said:

Oh, OK. But if she also uses DS Iray at all for rendering or may want to in the future then getting the one with the GTX 1050ti would still be a good idea and $80 isn't much of a price difference for a computer in that price bracket.

kyoto kid said:

...with W10 as the OS, even a 4GB Nvidia GPU is insufficient as due to WDDM 2.1 (Windows Display Driver Model), it would only have about 3.3 GB available for rendering.   Only the Titan and Quadro series allow switching off of WDDM to access the card's total VRAM for rendering.  Maybe that will change with the next generation Volta GTX cards, we'll see (and hopefully by then, prices come back down to earth).

Now granted this is refurbished, but sounds like a nice render box for Carrara (40 cores total) and even do a good number with Iray in CPU mode with an effective total core frequency rating of 112 GHz (compared to 48 for the Ryzen 1700).  As configured it is almost 200$ less than the Cybertron PC.

If I had the extra 1,137$ for purchasing a system I'd be considering it myself (those CPUs alone originally retailed for over 2,000$ each).

if i had more moola to spend, would go with moar CPU hertzes. 
    something closer to 4ghz  speed up the light calculations.

ps1borg said:
    Mistara said:

They can't even decide on what a year is, there are at least three.  Either based on the sun or the moon, or the stars.  At this point in my life I can tell them that a year is exactly the time it takes me to walk to the post office. sad

sling shot around the sun, time warp.  how they knew which way was future or past tho?
    it's not just the whales its the water.
    helloo computer.

i cant find the xin thread.  but i'm old and half blind

The Where'd the Thread Go Complaint Thread

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,026
    edited February 2018
    ps1borg said:
    Mistara said:

I walk to a post office that is about 3 blocks away, but is 5 traffic lights.  Must zig then zag.  Doh.

Mistara said:

It got moved to the Art Studio forum.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/230386/renamed-and-repurposed-xinxin-aiko-thread#latest

aaa xin thread.JPG
    1399 x 366 - 55K
    Post edited by Diomede on
    Diomede said:
    ps1borg said:
    Mistara said:

I walk to a post office that is about 3 blocks away, but is 5 traffic lights.  Must zig then zag.  Doh.

Mistara said:

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/230386/renamed-and-repurposed-xinxin-aiko-thread#latest

oh.

ty smiley

last thing i need right now is to keep up with another forum. crying

day job giving headsets so we can do hands free phone

i can't stop breaking into Britny Spears.  'ooops i did it again  oops oops'

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 10,991
    NVIATWAS said:
    ps1borg said:

Burro grande. smiley

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 10,991
    Mistara said:
    ps1borg said:
    Mistara said:

sling shot around the sun, time warp.  how they knew which way was future or past tho?
    helloo computer.

Easy. Clockwise and counterclockwise. smiley

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,139
    edited February 2018
    Tjohn said:
    Mistara said:
    ps1borg said:
    Mistara said:

helloo computer.

Easy. Clockwise and counterclockwise. smiley

From who's point of view?  And what happens if you approach the sun upside down? indecision  And what is upside down in space?  And was it covered in Starfleet academy? devil

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
    Mistara said:
    kyoto kid said:

kyoto kid said:

if i had more moola to spend, would go with moar CPU hertzes. 
    something closer to 4ghz  speed up the light calculations.

...more cores at a slightly lower frequency is better for performing calculations (like those used in CG rendering) than fewer at a higher frequency.  For example a 4 core/8 thread 4.0 GHz CPU has an "effective" processing speed of 32 GHz (threads x frequency).  8 cores/16 threads at 3.0 GHz has an "effective" processing speed of 48GHz, about 50% more.  Only a Threadripper 1900x at 3.8 GHz would be better, but that would increase the price by about 150$.

Mistara said:
    Diomede said:
    ps1borg said:
    Mistara said:

Mistara said:

oh.

ty smiley

last thing i need right now is to keep up with another forum. crying

...just click the little star in the upper corner at the top of the thread's page then you will get auto alerts when new posts appear.

ps1borg said:

Mistara said:
    DanaTA said:
    ps1borg said:

our PVR seems to have recorded 122 episodes of The Good Wife in a week. 

Must have been a marathon!  (watch-a-thon?)

Dana

the good wife sounds like it's horror 

Certainly wasn’t about what I thought it was about when I saw the title OscarMike Golf :)

Isn't The Good Wife a sequel to The Stepford Wives? :-O

NVIATWAS said:
    ps1borg said:

From the documentaries I've seen big burros smell, bite, and argue 110% of the time.  Definitely suitable for cooking!

Mistara said:

I feel your pain... :-(

This discussion has been closed.