Daz Studio 4.10 Pro, General Release! (*UPDATED*)

Comments

• I can't get 4.x installed through dim and I cant find new downloads in dim sinse installing 4.x

• Ryuu@AMcCFRyuu@AMcCF Posts: 617
    edited December 2017

Does DAZ ever run their updates through the antivirus companies before releasing?

I'm trying to open this Latest&Greatest, only for my AV to go apeshit hunting down and killing ALL the .dll files--again! All because of WS.Reputation.1 issues.

I can't go through and set trust to everything because I can't keep up with the AV killing them all! angry

How long should I wait before trying so that my AV can feel okay about the files that have been updated?

Post edited by Ryuu@AMcCF on
  • Does DAZ ever run their updates through the antivirus companies before releasing?

I'm trying to open this Latest&Greatest, only for my AV to go apeshit hunting down and killing ALL the .dll files--again! All because of WS.Reputation.1 issues.

I can't go through and set trust to everything because I can't keep up with the AV killing them all! angry

How long should I wait before trying so that my AV can feel okay about the files that have been updated?

I think you have other issues if it kills all the .dll files, or change your AV. My AV has never killed any .dll files.

• Does DAZ ever run their updates through the antivirus companies before releasing?

I think you have other issues if it kills all the .dll files, or change your AV. My AV has never killed any .dll files.

A lot of people have had issues with McAfee, though WS.Reputation sounds like Norton (which has never given me an issue with DS, but was always wanting to zap the Allegoithmic installers for Substance Whatever - a pain given how frequently they updated).

• jag11jag11 Posts: 885

Does DAZ ever run their updates through the antivirus companies before releasing?

WS.Reputation.1 is a detection for files that have a low reputation score based on analyzing data from Symantec’s community of users and therefore are likely to be security risks. Detections of this type are based on Symantec’s reputation-based security technology. Because this detection is based on a reputation score, it does not represent a specific class of threat like adware or spyware, but instead applies to all threat categories. 

The reputation-based system uses "the wisdom of crowds" (Symantec’s tens of millions of end users) connected to cloud-based intelligence to compute a reputation score for an application, and in the process identify malicious software in an entirely new way beyond traditional signatures and behavior-based detection techniques.

That "wisdom of crows".

IMPO(and experience), Norton has seen its days, it doesn't catch the real threats and turns the host computer SUPER slow.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,501

...unless you are a super wiz at system security programming, commercial and open source AVs are the best you'll find.

Almost a year ago, my brother was attacked by ransomware. He was asked to pay 800 bitcoin, every hour would be rising the amount. He has a company for accounting services the target was the server holding the clients data. I advised him not to pay, finally he didn’t. His company was at risk if the info could not be recovered. The clients and IRS would not be happy. After six days I beat the encryption algorithm and could recover the whole thing.   So I don’t trust any AV, just a few. The encryption algorithm used a key of 64k bytes. So, the threat is real and some AVs don’t catch some bullets.

edited December 2017

...that's great if you have that expertise, alas, not many of us do so we have to trust what we can and just be careful when online.

800 Bitcoin in late December 2016 would have been around 684,000$.  Today it would be around 15,477,000$

Post edited by kyoto kid on

I was exposed to computers at age of 12 and never have stopped learning. I’ve been learning for 38 years, so I think that was an advantage over the attacker. 

...excellent to have that exposure at such a young age. I envy the opportunity kids have these days.

When I was 12, I was working with Mechano sets and HO trains, while computers were those big machines in labs or government complexes as well as SciFi or Secret Agent films.  The first really "affordable" portable calculator, the TI 1250 (with 5 functions and the red LED display) came out a couple years after I entered college (I still have one).

• I'm trying to install daz 4.10 and it keeps failing on the dll files. never had this problem before, not sure whats going on.

Clipboard02.jpg
    662 x 384 - 71K
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 2017

I'm trying to install daz 4.10 and it keeps failing on the dll files. never had this problem before, not sure whats going on.

PC or Mac? and which OS.

Also which AV do you have installed?

Post edited by Chohole on
  • Chohole said:

I'm trying to install daz 4.10 and it keeps failing on the dll files. never had this problem before, not sure whats going on.

PC or Mac? and which OS.

Also which AV do you have installed?

Pc Windows 10 home

not sure what you mean by AV?

• Anti-virus, or more generally security software.

• ben98120000ben98120000 Posts: 469
    edited January 2018

It looks like DS 4.10.0.123 IRay displacement is treating separate surfaces as separate geometry pieces, although as far as geometry goes its not separated. I think that it didnt do that before or I would have noticed that by now. Can somebody confirm that please. And is it supposed to do that or not? 

ds 4.10.0.123 disp.png
    1000 x 1000 - 844K
    Post edited by ben98120000 on
  • SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232

It looks like DS 4.10.0.123 IRay displacement is treating separate surfaces as separate geometry pieces, although as far as geometry goes its not separated.

That's not how displacement works — it doesn't split a mesh when there's a sudden major bump, it stretches the mesh along the edge. I've never seen anything like that before, though.

• ben98120000ben98120000 Posts: 469
    edited January 2018

It looks like DS 4.10.0.123 IRay displacement is treating separate surfaces as separate geometry pieces, although as far as geometry goes its not separated.

That's not how displacement works — it doesn't split a mesh when there's a sudden major bump, it stretches the mesh along the edge. I've never seen anything like that before, though.

I did some more rendering. Looks like UV has something to do with it. If surfaces are split in UV than displacement makes "holes" like its separated piece of geometry. LIke, if I put displacement on G8F arms surface, they split from the torso in the render. On the other hand, if UV is together, than it looks fine. For example if I put displacement on the bands surfaces in G8F basic clothing, it sticks together in the render or like you said displacement stretches the mesh.

Post edited by ben98120000 on
  • alxalx Posts: 53
    alx said:

The bridge pane and the actual directory. Can you think of anything else I might want to try? I'd be willing to take a peek at the registry if you'd point me at some keys...

So are there no thoughts about my hex bridge issue? There are a lot of things you can do in DAZ to edit geometry and surfaces, but sometimes you really need hex to get the job done

• Ryuu@AMcCFRyuu@AMcCF Posts: 617
    edited January 2018

A lot of people have had issues with McAfee, though WS.Reputation sounds like Norton (which has never given me an issue with DS, but was always wanting to zap the Allegoithmic installers for Substance Whatever - a pain given how frequently they updated).

Thanks Richard,

Yes, the issue I was having was with Norton. I know that some people advise against Norton, but my employer distributes it to all the employees since they use it. I also use Webroot running alongside Norton. & yes, I know everyone says 2 or more AVs together slows down the machine horribly, but I've not had issues with my computers' speeds--I've got some of those nice superfast beasts, so I'm still happy with them laugh

The problem arose on my laptop where Norton was killling all the .dll files faster than I could keep up in telling Norton to leave them alone--and yet there was no problem with my tower computer running the same updated DAZ and the same AV definitions--go figure....frown

From experience, I know the WS.Reputation eventually resolves itself. Since this IS a common occurance whenever DAZ updates their software, it would make sense for the DAZ developers to coordinate with the various AV companies to run special evaluations before the updates are released to the public, so that the AV software won't go apeshit all the time. In fact, the same thing happened on the LAST few updates, and I had to disable DIM's autoinstall for over a month on my machines to give Norton time to accept their updates.

Indeed, my employer has their own groups of software developers pushing out updates involving messaging software and before we release ANYTHING, OUR developers DO go to the AV companies for coordinating releases so this sort of thing doesn't happen.

Now, I could understand if DAZ felt the need to get updates "out the door ASAP" if their bottom line depended upon "getting the jump on the all the competition"--but DAZ doesn't fuction in that sort of business model. Quite the opposite, in fact. The truth is, DAZ is enhanced by their "competitors" in that they and their "competitors" are making QUALITY products that work in each other's environment and that style of business makes ALL their customers happy and coming back for more!

But if DAZ's updates result in loss of productivity because all the AVs think their software is a threat to our machines, then it is due to LACK OF QUALITY (that is, "planning"), which ends up hurting them AND us!

Post edited by Ryuu@AMcCF on

...yes

• I also have crash issues with Daz 4.10.0.123 and High Sierra.  I was able to play a little bit with the DForce examples, but it seemed to crash frequently.  I then started doing some experiments with earlier Non-DForce approved items, and then it started crashing more frequently.  I am now finding that it is crashing even if I am not applying ANY DForce to items.  I am working along fine, and then, click and BOOM!.  Instant crash.  I am running this on a Late 2013 Mac Pro with 12 GByte memory, 4 Xeon E5 cores, etc etc, so I am sure that I have sufficient power to meet teh needs of the application.

Fortunately I have not yet updated to Daz 4.10 on my main rendering computer, but I am going to back off from 4.10 until they get a few more bugs worked out.

• Hello all - 

I realize I'm very late to the party, and if this question has been asked before I apologize in advance (I'm running against a deadline and haven't been able to read all 36 pages of this thread).

I'm currently using DAZ 4.9, but I'm very excited to hear about the improvements for 4.10, especially DForce. My question is - will I be able to still use the old Optitex dynamic clothes that I've got in my library? 

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232

My question is - will I be able to still use the old Optitex dynamic clothes that I've got in my library? 

Shouldn't be a problem. But (and it's a big one) when you update D|S to 4.10 remember to update the dynamics plugin at the same time. The program and plugin must have the same last two numbers in the version number.

• Thank you - that was what I was wondering about! And now I see that there is a plug-in available for 4.10, which I probably should have researched first. Doh!

• cm152335cm152335 Posts: 421

I have to turn on cms manualy "ever session.

do you try to run the Daz,, "as administrator" ?

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

That is misguided advice and will lead to problems.
    ---
    Forthcoming versions of Daz Studio (http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/change_log#4_11_0_104) and Install Manager (http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/install_manager/change_log#1_1_0_91) will block this misguided advice.

• Chohole said:

That is misguided advice and will lead to problems.
    ---
    Forthcoming versions of Daz Studio (http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/change_log#4_11_0_104) and Install Manager (http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/install_manager/change_log#1_1_0_91) will block this misguided advice.

Good to see them find a way to do this.

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

Is there a reason that a new download for Daz Studio 4.10 64 bit is showing up in DIM?  Its not in the update section but in the new section. I already have that installed so it shouldn't be in the new downloads.  And yes, I checked to make sure that its the 64 bit

• Is there a reason that a new download for Daz Studio 4.10 64 bit is showing up in DIM?  Its not in the update section but in the new section. I already have that installed so it shouldn't be in the new downloads.  And yes, I checked to make sure that its the 64 bit

Glitch, we are told, and it should have been fixed now.

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

Is there a reason that a new download for Daz Studio 4.10 64 bit is showing up in DIM?  Its not in the update section but in the new section. I already have that installed so it shouldn't be in the new downloads.  And yes, I checked to make sure that its the 64 bit

Glitch, we are told, and it should have been fixed now.

Thanks!